ORAS Ubers Xern + Groudon = Broken

Introduction

This team is actually a bit old and the concept goes back to before ORAS was released. Primal groudon seems like it was designed to Beat all xerneas counters. So about a year ago I put support groudon and GeoXern on the table and began to play around with it. Since then I have refined it into this team:

At a Glance

In Depth:

Xylophone (Xerneas) @ Power Herb
Ability: Fairy Aura
EVs: 188 HP / 24 Def / 252 SpA / 44 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 1 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 SpD
- Geomancy
- Moonblast
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Ground]

So yeah, the mon that started it all. I have the coverage move that I do because I personally find that 95% of the time you are using moonblast. I have psyshock because Ho-Oh give the team a bit of trouble and I don't like missing thunder. I usually set this up as a late game sweeper and it rarely shows its face unless I'm facing a yveltal which the rest of the team struggles with. part of this is because I get really REALLY annoyed when people set up their xern before turn 5. other than that pretty standard geoxern which we all know so well

Groudon @ Red Orb
Ability: Drought
EVs: 248 HP / 56 Def / 204 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Lava Plume
- Roar

Pretty standard groudon set. It does everything I need it to do in order to allow xern to sweep. Its pretty insane just how many geoxern counters get crushed by primal groudon. To list a few, Every steel type in the game dies to lava plume + EQ. both Ho-Oh and lugia get KOed by xern's moonblast after rocks. It can deal with Mega Gengar through roar. I usually use this to try to beat my opponent's steel types and then set up rocks and win. Groudon is an incredible pokemon and it pares pretty darn perfectly with xerneas.

Generic Check (Lugia) @ Leftovers
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Roost
- Whirlwind
- Toxic
- Ice Beam

The nickname for this pokemon really says it all. Lugia is here to do what it does best: check anything, usually Salamance or Xerneas. The reason I have it on this team is that it deals with these pokemon, which are really REALLY threatening, with ease. I just need to keep rocks off the field and I don't have to worry about loosing to Mence and its that simple. I can make more aggressive plays and the consequences won't be as harsh. I also can play a stall game with Lugia and my next pokemon if I so chose.

Totaly Not Zelda (Sableye) @ Sablenite
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Foul Play
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover
- Taunt

Since I started using this team, Sableye has become one of my favorite ubers. It deals with a LOT of holes that this team had up till this point. Its a decent form of hazard control, beats Arceus with ease and also acts as a "Stall waller"; using magic bounce to prevent all stally pokemon such as Lugia, Blissey and Ferrothorn from walling (And bringing down with status) the rest of my team. It's also one of my secondary ways of dealing with Darkrai, a pokemon this team would otherwise struggle with a lot.

Blue Thing (Latios) @ Soul Dew
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 8 HP / 252 SpA / 248 Spe
Modest Nature
- Roost
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Defog

Me: "What's a good latios nickname?"
My Brother: "Blue thing"
Me: "Ok then"

...and so I came up with that nickname xD Latios fills the two roles that I was looking for on my team at this point: a pokemon that can beat the 2 main gen 3 legies with ease and also be a good defogger. latios does this pretty darn well. Because latios is much faster than the pokemon that I am trying to beat, I actually run a pretty interesting EV spread. Modest lets me KO Max HP Groudon after rocks, which is often HUGE. On the other hand, running timid would let me outspeed and KO is Palkia, which is rare to begin with and the rest of my team can deal with. The remaining EVs allow me to outspeed timid Rayquaza, I maintain a odd HP value by putting the remaining EVs in HP rather than another stat.

Quadcore i7 (Genesect) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Download
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- U-turn
- Iron Head
- Ice Beam
- Explosion

Genesect is here first and foremost to be a fast revenge killer. The other members are a bit slow, especially when you consider that latios is modest. U-Turn support is also nice for the team. The reason that I have Genesect over Jirachi is that this team, as I have said before, is quite Ho-Oh weak. +1 Explosion only has one damage roll that does not OHKO physically defensive Ho-Oh. Ice beam can also be nice but it doesn't usually see much use.

Conclusion

Like Ive Said before, Ive had this team for a while. Even though I still hate fighting xern, its definately my favorite team to use. Again, the main thing that would be nice at this point would be a reliable Ho-Oh counter and/or another pokemon that can deal with dark types like yveltal and darkrai.

Importable:
Xylophone (Xerneas) @ Power Herb
Ability: Fairy Aura
EVs: 188 HP / 24 Def / 252 SpA / 44 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 1 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 SpD
- Geomancy
- Moonblast
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Ground]

Groudon @ Red Orb
Ability: Drought
EVs: 248 HP / 56 Def / 204 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Lava Plume
- Roar

Totaly Not Zelda (Sableye) @ Sablenite
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Foul Play
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover
- Taunt

Generic Check (Lugia) @ Leftovers
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Roost
- Whirlwind
- Toxic
- Ice Beam

Quadcore i7 (Genesect) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Download
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- U-turn
- Iron Head
- Ice Beam
- Explosion

Blue Thing (Latios) @ Soul Dew
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 8 HP / 252 SpA / 248 Spe
Modest Nature
- Roost
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Defog

Last edited:
Hi IDW cool team you have here, I always tend to enjoy offensively inclined balance teams in ubers. I will do a more in depth rate in a bit since I have an exam in an hour but here's a few quick changes I can see:

Sableye should have an EV spread of 248 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD / 4 Spe with a Bold nature.
This spread is pretty necessary in the ubers metagame so it can be one of the few solid checks to EKiler Arceus, along with not allowing Mega Salamence to set up on it.

Lugia should have a spread of 248 HP / 124 Def / 136 Spe with a Bold nature.
One of Lugia's key assets in it bulk is its above average speed which allows it to outspeed threats and roost on them. 136 Spe outspeeds Adamant Rayquaza which will 2HKO with rocks up. 248 HP is important because Stealth Rock is the bane of Lugia and an odd numbered HP will let it switch in and take slightly less damage. This is important because Primal Groudon is the most common rocker in ubers and sableye shouldn't switch into it at all.

Since you have HP ground on Xerneas, you're already hitting Mega Gengar for super effective damage and Psyshock is therefore pretty poor coverage. I'd recommend Thunder instead as it can smack Lugia, Ho-oh, and Kyogre much harder.

That's all for now, I hope I was helpful!

ugg, Ive had this team as it is for so long that I don't like changing it now xD

But the lugia's set is so wrong xD thanks for catching it. Like I said before, I don't like missing thunder but now that I think of it, Kyoger is the main pokemon that my set is currently worried about since moonblast KOs Lugia and Ho-Oh after rocks. Sableye also makes more sense, in particular on this team.

Good luck with exams!

Honestly, the aforementioned changes are the best changes.I could help with nicknames like I call my Latios Jet Blue and my Groudon, Groudon-Me (if you know the song, you get it) and I name my Lugia "Let's go Bro!" I could say Arceus Ghost could hold some sort of a problem because of recover refresh, but Groudon can Roar it out. Magic Bouncers could be a problem to Sableye, but you really don't see a lot of them (Be wary of Skill Swap Bronzing if you already mega'd your Sableye). Nice team, keep up the great work and tell us where you peak.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)