Xerneas

Status
Not open for further replies.
After playing über this generation and using this beast I have one thing to say

chicken_regret_nothing.gif

Edit: after playing a bit more against a lot of xerneases all I have to say is

3cd8a33a.png

Last edited:
Hello. Just joined 5 minutes ago to share a thought. Has anyone else tried Nature Power on Xerneas? It's attack forms have changed sncei gen 5 and one of them is a ground move and I recall ealier inthis thread someone wishing this beast had Earth Power.

As of gen 6 I guess, this is what it does:

Buildings Tri Attack
Caves & Mountains Power Gem
Deserts & Roads Mud Bomb
Grass Energy ball
Snow Blizzard
Water Hydro Pump
Misty Terrain Moonblast
Electric Terrain
Thunderbolt any thoughts? and which form is for Wifi?

This thread right here. This is why Xerneas will be an average uber pokemon. We are literally discussing the most efficient way to neuter a pokemon competitively . This is inhumane. Lol.

Seriously though, 252/ 252+ Lugia survives a +2 Moonblast even after stealth rock. Just putting that out there...

but normally ppl wont do 252/252 for lukia , normally they put lots of ev on def even some spd

Hello. Just joined 5 minutes ago to share a thought. Has anyone else tried Nature Power on Xerneas? It's attack forms have changed sncei gen 5 and one of them is a ground move and I recall ealier inthis thread someone wishing this beast had Earth Power.

As of gen 6 I guess, this is what it does:

Buildings Tri Attack
Caves & Mountains Power Gem
Deserts & Roads Mud Bomb
Grass Energy ball
Snow Blizzard
Water Hydro Pump
Misty Terrain Moonblast
Electric Terrain
Thunderbolt any thoughts? and which form is for Wifi?

Sadly, Nature Power on Wifi gives you Tri Attack.

Is Skarmory a decent counter? Since I'm not an experienced competitive battler, can someone help me with the maths etc.?
I mean, against a Xerneas with this set:

Xerneas@Power Herb
Geomancy
Moonblast
Focus Blast
Psyshock

A Skarmory with good defense/Sp def should be able to tank the most of this? Moonblast would do 0.5x and Focus Blast 1x, Psyshock 0.5x.

Is Skarmory a decent counter? Since I'm not an experienced competitive battler, can someone help me with the maths etc.?

Xerneas@Power Herb
Geomancy
Moonblast
Focus Blast
Psyshock

A Skarmory with good defense/Sp def should be able to tank the most of this? Moonblast would do 0.5x and Focus Blast 1x, Psyshock 0.5x.
focus blast will ohko sp def variants if sturdy is broken, also a lot of xerneas run thunderbolt

Xerneas@Power Herb
Geomancy
Moonblast
Focus Blast
Psyshock

Yeah Skarm sucks against Xerneas for the reasons Donkey mentioned.

If you need a bulky Steel that can check Xerneas and resist similar things that Skarm does, you might wanna look into Bronzong.

Dialga still takes a shitload from +2 Focus Blast (71.78 - 84.65%) with Assault Vest and 252/200, but even 56 Atk Iron Tail cannot OHKO Xerneas in return

So hard to find a check for this thing. I guess the most reliable so far should be Red Card. About time it gets some use

EDIT: WAIT! Did I just find the check for this thing? Just slap Red Card on something, let it die to force Xerneas out. Then it loses its Power Herb. Now you can actually wall it with stuff.

My good sir, I believe you did just find a potential check for it. The one flaw on that though is this: What exactly would you slap Red Card on, and what would you want to die? Assuming this will be in Ubers / OU, most of the Pokémon in those tiers rely on their specific items to be useful. And I doubt anyone would want to let their Pokémon die at the cost of nullifying Xerneas.
Another problem is what if Xerneas isn't even running Geomancy in the first place?

My good sir, I believe you did just find a potential check for it. The one flaw on that though is this: What exactly would you slap Red Card on, and what would you want to die? Assuming this will be in Ubers / OU, most of the Pokémon in those tiers rely on their specific items to be useful. And I doubt anyone would want to let their Pokémon die at the cost of nullifying Xerneas.
Another problem is what if Xerneas isn't even running Geomancy in the first place?

mhm i applaud you for actually reading through all 18 pages of this post to notice this post, and I didnt realise in the first place that red card does not work with KOs, which I corrected iirc. Otherwise, I think I found another potential check which isn't going to be deadweight (level 1 sash solosis with TR and Endeavor). I say it is not deadweight because it actually potentially checks every single set-up sweeper in the game minus ghost types. It is especially useful for Xerneas because it either kills it or forces it out, both of which are detrimental to the Xerneas. TBH I actually rather use this over M-Banette to check Xerneas because it actually frees up my Mega slot, while essentially doing the same thing.

Non Geomancy Xerneas on the other hand, are actually rather easy to handle due to its subpar speed stat not being boosted.

mhm i applaud you for actually reading through all 18 pages of this post to notice this post, and I didnt realise in the first place that red card does not work with KOs, which I corrected iirc. Otherwise, I think I found another potential check which isn't going to be deadweight (level 1 sash solosis with TR and Endeavor). I say it is not deadweight because it actually potentially checks every single set-up sweeper in the game minus ghost types. It is especially useful for Xerneas because it either kills it or forces it out, both of which are detrimental to the Xerneas. TBH I actually rather use this over M-Banette to check Xerneas because it actually frees up my Mega slot, while essentially doing the same thing.

Non Geomancy Xerneas on the other hand, are actually rather easy to handle due to its subpar speed stat not being boosted.

There's no reason to use niche counters to Xerneas when Aegislash is a pretty hard counter that can wall every move when it is above 60% and is useful even when the opponent doesn't have a Xerneas. If you have an idea for a Xerneas check, please make sure that the team wouldn't be better having an Aegislash in its place instead in literally any given scenario

Xerneas uses geomancy!(power herb)
Xerneas uses moon blast on ???
??? Fainted
Opponent send out a full hp gyro ball sturdy forretress?
Forretress uses GYRO BALL
Xerneas fainted!
BITCH!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think my Xerneas must have perfect IV's in Attack and Speed, even though it's nature is the one where it's Defence is its best stat and Speed's it's worst stat. I'm just curious because when I caught it, it's Attack was 20 points higher than it's Special Attack. When I caught it, it's Attack was 141, while Special Attack was only 121. It's Speed was 106

Think my Xerneas is probably one of the worse natured one's.

I'm possibly thinking of running a set that might look something like this for my odd natured Xerneas:

Mixed Attacker Xerneas
Item:
Choice Scarf / Life Orb
Moveset:
Horn Leech
Close Combat / Focus Blast / Night Slash
Moonblast
Psychic / Psyshock / Thunderbolt

I'm not trying to make a core set for Xerneas. I'm just trying to make the best of my Xerneas's weird stat distribution.

Any constructive criticism for this set is welcomed and appreciated.

Last edited:
I think my Xerneas must have perfect IV's in Attack and Speed, even though it's nature is the one where it's Defence is its best stat and Speed's it's worst stat. I'm just curious because when I caught it, it's Attack was 20 points higher than it's Special Attack. When I caught it, it's Attack was 141, while Special Attack was only 121. It's Speed was 106

Think my Xerneas is probably one of the worse natured one's.

I'm possibly thinking of running a set that might look something like this for my odd natured Xerneas:

Mixed Attacker Xerneas
Item:
Choice Scarf / Life Orb
Moveset:
Horn Leech
Close Combat / Focus Blast / Night Slash
Moonblast
Psychic / Psyshock / Thunderbolt

I'm not trying to make a core set for Xerneas. I'm just trying to make the best of my Xerneas's weird stat distribution.

Any constructive criticism for this set is welcomed and appreciated.
The standard geomancy set fares much better.

There's no reason to use niche counters to Xerneas when Aegislash is a pretty hard counter that can wall every move when it is above 60% and is useful even when the opponent doesn't have a Xerneas. If you have an idea for a Xerneas check, please make sure that the team wouldn't be better having an Aegislash in its place instead in literally any given scenario
aegislash needs iron head to beat xerneas, or it gets 2hkoed by +2 moonblast. and that leaves him walled hard by pretty much every bulky water/fire in the tier

aegislash needs iron head to beat xerneas, or it gets 2hkoed by +2 moonblast. and that leaves him walled hard by pretty much every bulky water/fire in the tier

Iron Head/Shadow Sneak/SD or Sacred Sword/King's Shield Aegislash is a perfectly fine set and is better in literally every situation than a Lvl1 Solosis, was my point

Iron Head/Shadow Sneak/SD or Sacred Sword/King's Shield Aegislash is a perfectly fine set and is better in literally every situation than a Lvl1 Solosis, was my point

That is certainly not true. Afterall, Solosis ALMOST did get an ubers analysis last gen, only not onsite because the analysis wasn't fully written. Aegislash is actually pretty weak in Ubers, especially if it has to give up SD for Iron Head to try to check Xerneas. Tornadus-T, which is the least physically bulky Pokemon in Ubers that is hit neutral is not even OHKOed after Stealth Rock, and that shows something about Aegislash's power.

For a representation of how useless Aegislash is in Ubers:
252+ Atk (custom) Sacred Sword vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Zekrom: 102-121 (25.24 - 29.95%) -- possible 4HKO
252+ Atk (custom) Shadow Sneak vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Giratina: 102-122 (20.27 - 24.25%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Stealth Rock and Spikes x3
252+ Atk (custom) Shadow Sneak vs. 252 HP / 176+ Def Lugia: 102-122 (24.51 - 29.32%) -- possible 5HKO
252+ Atk (custom) Shadow Sneak vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Ho-Oh: 88-105 (21.2 - 25.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk (custom) Sacred Sword vs. 88 HP / 0 Def Arceus-Normal: 204-242 (50.62 - 60.04%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk (custom) Shadow Sneak vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mewtwo: 174-206 (49.29 - 58.35%) -- 98.44% chance to 2HKO

And these are only for the ones that don't KO Aegislash outright.

Face it, Aegislash might be even more of a niche counter in the Ubers setting as compared to Solosis. Afterall, Solosis practically can check every single Pokemon in Ubers that is not immune to Endeavor or lacks Priority, and Aegislash practically does nothing to everything that's not Xerneas/Deoxys. Everything else either uses it as set-up bait or KOs it first.

Not many bulky water and fire types exist in Ubers. (Ho-Oh doesn't wall Aegislash if it carries Head Smash or Rock Slide, and cannot safely switch in until it knows its moveset. Ho-Oh also loathes Toxic.) Plus, that's what team support is for, Palkia can handle bulky waters like Kyogre and Rock Arceus destroys Ho-Oh if you forego a Rock move on Aegislash/mispredict the Ho-Oh switchin. Aegislash has no problems fitting Gyro Ball (use this over Iron Head) on its moveset and using a moveslot on a good STAB move is hardly a bad thing.

Aegislash is a great Pokemon because it switches into threats like Xerneas and Deoxys-A and destroys them. It also can frustrate the crap out of opposing teams with its nice typing, Toxic, and King's Shield. When played right, it'll feel like the thing never dies.

Edit: I agree with Superstar, there are plenty of other niche checks and counters to Xerneas, such as Bronzong, but Aegislash is so good against it and can frustrate the opponent so much that I am using it on most of my ladder teams. Don't underestimate 150/150 defenses either, it can survive a +2 Earthquake from 50% health SD Arceus-Normal and easily eat a support Dialga's Fire Blast.

Anyway, I don't want to derail this thread, so I'll say this about Xerneas: 131 Special Attack is not particularly good in Ubers, and without Life Orb, it will struggle to do much damage before it sets up. You have to save Xerneas until all Pokemon that can stop it (and there are plenty, especially with Defog support) are sufficiently weakened/dead before you set up a Geomancy. Until then, you are playing 6-5 because Xerneas does not make for a useful revenge killer with that average 99 base stat. It is similar to EKiller, only without that useful priority STAB to force out/kill threats like a +2 Darkrai early to midgame, nearly as much bulk, or the ability to set up more than once a match.

Last edited:
I'm inclined to say that Solosis is still a more reliable check to Xerneas, especially when M-Banette is often considered as one of the most reliable checks as well, considering they almost do the same thing against Xerneas.

Not many bulky water and fire types exist in Ubers. (Ho-Oh doesn't wall Aegislash if it carries Head Smash or Rock Slide, and cannot safely switch in until it knows its moveset. Ho-Oh also loathes Toxic.) Plus, that's what team support is for, Palkia can handle bulky waters like Kyogre and Rock Arceus destroys Ho-Oh if you forego a Rock move on Aegislash/mispredict the Ho-Oh switchin. Aegislash has no problems fitting Gyro Ball (use this over Iron Head) on its moveset and using a moveslot on a good STAB move is hardly a bad thing. Aegislash is a great Pokemon because it switches into threats like Xerneas and Deoxys-A and destroys them. It also can frustrate the crap out of opposing teams with its nice typing, Toxic, and King's Shield. When played right, it'll feel like the thing never dies.

Unfortunately if Aegislash were to be tailored to check Xerneas, it has to use a steel STAB, which is resisted by almost everyone in Ubers. It has a severe case of 4MSS, give up Sacred Sword and it loses to steels, basically begging for Ferrothorn to switch in and paralyse the switch-in, and also losing to the ever present Xerneas + EKiller core; give up Shadow Sneak or Steel STAB and it cannot defeat Xerneas; give up King's Shield and it practically dies to everything faster; give up Rock move and it loses to Ho-oh. Also, getting 2HKOed by everything doesn't exactly sound like 'never dies'. And that's not all, it can practically do nothing against anything it can't hit super effectively, which can use it for set up as long due to it being so un-threatening.

Note that I'm not talking about Aegislash's viability in Ubers, but its uselessness after you build it to check Xerneas, and hence its iffy at best, and is not any less situational than Solosis.

Last edited:
^ What are you talking about? KS/Shadow Sneak/Sacred Sword/Iron Head does just fine in ubers. It does it job at checking the likes of Xerneas and Mewtwo and there is no 4MSS. Surely you're not considering running that terrible Swords Dance set in that tier, right?

^ What are you talking about? KS/Shadow Sneak/Sacred Sword/Iron Head does just fine in ubers. It does it job at checking the likes of Xerneas and Mewtwo and there is no 4MSS. Surely you're not considering running that terrible Swords Dance set in that tier, right?

No, I think escarlata meant that Aegislash wants to run-
King's Shield
Sacred Sword
Shadow Sneak (or Shadow Ball?)
Iron Head
Rock Slide

5 moves - in other words, something's gotta give. I think in the end, you have to give up Rock Slide, primarily because Ho-Oh outspeeds and frequently carries Substitute to scout the Rock Slide anyway (meaning you could only really nab it on the switch), and it doesn't hit much else. Though Iron Head isn't doing much outside of helping against Xerneas/ FairyCeus, so maybe you could drop that; I think the choice will come down to teambuilding/ personal preference. At the very least, Xerneas has to play carefully until it knows Aegislash's moveset, and there is some potential to bluff having Iron Head I suppose.

I think Lugia is xerneas's best counter by far
Even with +2SPA from power herb and thunderbolt, Xerneas can't KO it, and then lugia can just take a +2thunderbolt and whirlwind Xerneas, and suddenly Xernas isn't very threatening without it's power herb and geomancy boost

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back