ROUND 1: THE CHROMATIC GENERATION
In 1996, Japan unleashed Pokémon Red Version and Pokémon Green Version onto the world. These two games signaled the beginning of a game franchise that would sweep like wildfire across the globe, ingraining itself in the childhoods of many a youngster. Since then, the Pokémon franchise has continued to grow, expanding to include anime, manga, and more. This week we celebrate the first entries into Pokémon's video game catalog.
Your challenge for this round is to collect the first three badges with as low an in-game time as possible in English Pokémon Red or Pokémon Blue.
Also known as a speed run, this challenge tests your knowledge of Pokémon Red and Blue and your ability to think ahead. Speed runs attempt to minimize the number of trainer battles and the number of wild encounters in order to minimize overall game time. Here are a few tips for speed runs:
- Before starting a new game, set OPTIONS to fast text, no animations, and set mode.
- Choose short names for characters and Pokémon. Long nicknames take longer to display.
- Avoid trainer battles and wild encounters unless they are absolutely necessary for EXP.
- Do NOT save. Saving eats up valuable seconds in a short speed run such as this one.
A list of general rules can be found here.
- Do not abuse save states/resets. This should be a continuous run of the game.
- Do not abuse any game-breaking glitches such as the early level 100 glitch.
- You may not trade over a Pokémon knowing HM01 Cut in order to skip the S.S. Anne.
Submit a screenshot or a photo of your trainer card via private message to @Stellar.
My time using Bulbasaur to test
approximate challenge length.
- Your game time and current badges should be clearly visible in the screenshot or photo.
- You may only submit one screenshot or photo. Select your best time.
- You should not post your results publicly.
@Eo Ut Mortus
@Eo Ut Mortus
1. Wyverii - 0:49
2. Focus - 0:49
3. Eo Ut Mortus - 0:49
4. Nexus - 0:50
5. Mekkah - 0:51
6. Manitary - 0:51
7. elcheeso - 0:51
8. Roadagain - 0:51
9. billymills - 0:51
10. lucariojr - 0:53
11. extra. - 0:53
12. atsync - 0:54
13. DHR-107 - 0:54
14. sb879 - 0:54
15. totodile - 0:56
16. LegendaryElitist - 0:56
17. makiri - 0:57
18. Shiny Dratini - 0:57
19. Alterevolution - 0:57
20. Jimera0 - 0:57
21. breh - 0:58
22. Level 51 - 0:58
23. zdrup15 - 0:59
24. amnz - 0:59
CUTOFF FOR ROUND 2
25. coolking49 - 1:00
26. Dark Arceus - 1:02
27. Wyvern56 - 1:04
28. NidokingKing - 1:09
29. The Diverman - 1:11
30. Quark - 1:12
31. richi3f - 1:31
All contestants who complete the qualifying round's challenge will be entered into a raffle for a $20 eShop gift card!