Other XY OU Pokemon of the Week #1: Staraptor

Status
Not open for further replies.
APPROVED BY HAUNTER

The XY OU Pokemon of the Week is an (obviously) weekly project I will be doing in the Overused forum. The idea originated from when I was reading many of the discussion threads, often the discussion is a bit lacking in the content department. My goal here to is to highlight a threat in the metagame that isn't as well known, or isn't used as much as it should be, and provide a concise amount of information about that Pokemon; this will encourage creativity during teambuilding, and it will also provide an instant wealth of knowledge about that particular threat. This will hopefully be more helpful to the massive influx of new players in the OU subforum and promote better discussion within the individual threads. In this thread though, the main point of discussion should be about experiences with that particular Pokemon and the sets featured, and how it has helped in some way during your battling. Niche sets and gimmicks can be mentioned as well, but bear in mind that this thread is mainly an informative source of knowledge through what is written in the OP; discussion is not its main focus, though it is most certainly allowed. Oh yeah, you can also choose what should the next POTW should be, bearing in mind that they will be on lesser-used threats, such as Chesnaught, Krookodile, or Cofagrigus.

This week's Pokemon of the Week is Staraptor.

Staraptor
Type: Normal / Flying
Base Stats: 85 HP / 120 Atk / 70 Def / 50 SpA / 60 SpD / 100 Spe
Ability: Intimidate / Reckless
While most early-game birds in the Pokemon games are typically underwhelming in terms of competitive viability, Staraptor defies that trend, as it it one of the hardest hitting Pokemon in the game. Its base 120 Attack stat in conjunction with its ability Reckless makes Staraptor's Brave Bird and Double Edge incredibly powerful, and it has Close Combat as coverage for Rock- and Steel-types. It can also use U-turn to scout and obtain easy momentum, Roost to heal up recoil damage, and Quick Attack to provide valuable priority. Staraptor was banned from UU during BW, but with the advent of XY, it's able to soar back into UU and demolish anything in its path. This shouldn't put you off from using it in OU though, as with the arrival of another bird, Talonflame, Staraptor finds itself even more useful, being able to fit into a "Double Bird" core, that will be stressed later.

Unfortunately, like all Pokemon, Staraptor has flaws, and rather glaring ones at that. A base 100 Speed, while not necessarily bad, isn't that good for an offensive Pokemon, making it prone to being outsped and revenge-killed by anything that is faster than it; this is quite debilitating when you realise that Staraptor is incredibly frail. In addition, both of its STAB moves inflict recoil, which in combination with Staraptor's Stealth Rock weakness makes it easy to wear down over time. Due to its frailty, it can't often find chances to switch in, and it has a large weakness to priority moves.

Staraptor @ Choice Band
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Nature: Adamant / Jolly
Ability: Reckless
-Brave Bird
-Close Combat
-Double Edge
-U-turn / Quick Attack

Choice Band Staraptor is a phenomenally hard-hitter in the metagame. CB Adamant Reckless Brave Bird is the definition of power; it is nearly as powerful as Kyurem-B's Outrage! It OHKOes Mega Venusaur and Clefable, 2HKOes Jirachi and Landorus-T, and basically just wrecks everything. Close Combat is for Rock- and Steel-types like Tyranitar and Heatran, while Double Edge deals massive damage to Rotom-W, a would-be counter. U-turn is for momentum, and to work around potential checks and counters, while Quick Attack is present if priority is helpful for the team; it is certainly good when Staraptor's average Speed isn't enough. Full investment in Attack and Speed is both standard and obvious, while 4 Defense EVs allow Staraptor to switch into Stealth Rock 5 times. The nature choice is up to personal preference; Adamant is seemingly the most obvious due to to the immense power it gives Staraptor, but a Jolly nature can be used to outspeed Genesect, Kyurem-B, and regular Lucario, the aforementioned all with Speed-boosting natures. The goal of the set is to break down defensive Pokemon early-game so that partners like Talonflame can clean up later. Like most Choiced Pokemon with U-turn, using it (U-turn) the majority of the early-game is great to scout the opponent.

Staraptor @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Nature: Jolly / Adamant
-Brave Bird
-Close Combat
-Double Edge
-U-turn

Choice Scarf Staraptor plays very differently from the Choice Band set, even if it seems similar at first. Indeed, the set is almost exactly the same, aside from a lack of Quick Attack and a nature preference of Jolly, which is mainly just to outspeed Choice Scarf Genesect. An explanation of the moves isn't completely necessary as they all have the same uses as above, but regardless, Brave Bird is the main STAB move and most spammable move in most cases, Close Combat is for Tyranitar and Heatran, Double Edge is for Rotom-W, and U-turn is for scouting and obtaining momentum. Again, the EVs are exactly the same, which leads one to wonder, what makes it any different from the CB set? The answer, is simply its role to play. CB Staraptor wallbreaks through defensive cores so that a partner can clean up late-game, while Choice Scarf Staraptor is better against offensive teams, where the extra power isn't as necessary, but the extra Speed is.

Just as a side mention, Life Orb Staraptor can be used in order to switch moves, but really, because Staraptor is so specialized for doing the specific jobs that the set mentions, the only advantage it possesses is the move Roost, which really doesn't make up for the fact that it lacks enough power or Speed depending on the nature it is using. With Jolly, it can't 2HKO Hippowdon. With Adamant, it can't outspeed Kyurem-B with a speed boosting nature. Each of these scenarios are significant enough by themself to make Life Orb Staraptor less viable than Choice Band or Choice Scarf.

As mentioned before, one of the best partners for Staraptor is Talonflame. While initially seemingly like a similar Pokemon providing redundant STAB and exacerbating the teams weakness to Rock- and Electric-type moves, Talonflame is actually one of the main reasons why Staraptor is better this generation. Taking a leaf out of the "Double Dragon" core book, Staraptor, specifically the Choice Band set, has similar counters to Talonflame. However, Staraptor can actually do hefty damage to them with Brave Bird, Close Combat, and Double Edge, weakening them so that Talonflame can clean late-game. Examples of Pokemon that this core defeats using this method include Rotom-W, Tyranitar, Landorus-T, Gliscor, and Mandibuzz. Of course, due to both Staraptor and Talonflame's Stealth Rock weakness, a partner that can use Rapid Spin or Defog is mandatory. Latias, Mandibuzz, Starmie, and Excadrill can fill this role easily. Volt Switch and U-turn users are also nice to form a VoltTurn core with Staraptor (and potentially Talonflame), and to bring it in unscathed.

When playing against Staraptor, its reliance on recoil moves will be its downfall. In fact, Staraptor is vulnerable to all forms of chip damage except Spikes, such as sand, Leech Seed, Stealth Rock, and even the rare hail. When looking for actual specific Pokemon counters, Skarmory is the best, as it can wall Staraptor, use Roost to heal itself, and eventually Staraptor will be worn down with recoil damage. Bronzong and Jirachi with full defensive investment can avoid 2HKOs and cripple it with a status, but they must be running a specific physically defensive EV spread. Of course, Choice Band Staraptor can easily be revenge killed by faster Pokemon like Garchomp, Terrakion, and Thundurus. Choice Scarf Staraptor can be walled by even more Pokemon such as Hippowdon and Slowbro. Indeed, the best way of countering Staraptor is to figure out which set it is running, which isn't too hard considering its average Speed tier. Aegislash doesn't take much damage from any of Staraptor's attacks, and can use King's Shield to force it to switch out, while Rhyperior can switch in on anything other than CB Close Combat, and OHKO with Stone Edge. Choice Scarf Gothitelle can trap Staraptor if it is at 75% health or less, which is a common scenario considering Stealth Rock and its recoil moves, and KO it with Thunderbolt. Finally, after Staraptor is weakened almost all users of priority can take it down, this includes Azumarill's Aqua Jet, Mega Lucario's Bullet Punch, or Dragonite's Extreme Speed.

There we have it, the first Pokemon of the Week! Let me know whether this has helped you at all, and your results of testing these Staraptor sets on the ladder, as well as let me know what Pokemon you want to see next. I'm thinking Chesnaught, but all opinions are welcome, as well as opinions about the Pokemon of the Week format and any ideas you want to see implemented, as well as questions for me about either Staraptor or POTW itself. Go out there and try Staraptor now, and I'll see you next time!

Last edited:
I guess I'll start this off...
So I almost never even thought about Staraptor last gen, let alone used it. But I've slowly learned about its increased viability in XY (mostly from the viability ranking thread, where I believe we ended up putting it at B-rank) , and it's looking pretty good. Double Bird is a very powerful looking strategy - would it be possible to add Mega Pinsir to your Staraptor/Talonflame core, or to switch it for one team member? As another powerful flying-type, I thought it might be worth looking into. On the other hand, unlike Talonflame, Mega-Pinsir can do its own wallbreaking without the help of a second bird, so maybe it doesn't benefit as much from the core.

On the topic of nominations for the next pokemon of the week, what exactly constitutes a lesser-used threat? Just things that don't have OU level usage?

Mega Pinsir is a powerful threat, and it could see some use in a similar role to Staraptor, but like you said, it can often sweep on its own due to Swords Dance. Still, the lack of recoil is definitely a plus in its favour.

I won't be too strict on what a lesser-used threat is, it could be something with the (obvious) less usage, or it could be something that is maybe used on the higher ladder but forgotten about down low due to the skill required to use it effectively, or even something you personally feel is being overshadowed or not used correctly. When picking the initial one, I just looked at the usage statistics and went down to 100, looking for overshadowed threats. So far I have requests for
  • Darmanitan
  • Suicune
  • Chesnaught
  • Krookodile
  • Cofagrigus
So something along those lines really. Mega Banette looks interesting.

Defintely hoping for Darmanitan next week. With a little support, it is so dangerous. But Hopefully Staraptor can finally break into OU now. Banded sets are Fantastic wallbreakers.

I'd like to see Chesnaught next week! He's not particularly outdone in his niche by anything, so I feel like he would be a good pick!
But yea, I tried Staraptor in a core with Talonflame and Mega Pinsir, and it was pretty effective actually... Staraptor's brave bird takes chunks out of damn near everything even if it resists flying, but I think having 3 pokemon who are hugely impeded by stealth rock is a bit silly, also when adding in the fact that you probably want a defogger who will probably not be stealth rock resistant either..

I love that you chose a great OU mon that isn't really that well known. Staraptor's one of my favorite pokemon this gen with the double bird combo, and you covered his traits very well.

Defintely hoping for Darmanitan next week. With a little support, it is so dangerous. But Hopefully Staraptor can finally break into OU now. Banded sets are Fantastic wallbreakers.
Except, Darmanitan isn't really OU viable. Sure you can use him, but I don't see why you ever would with better fire types. Sure he hits harder than Charizard X, but he's so bad against anything other than a wall that he's hard to justify ever using. I really wish people would stop bringing him up. I'd rather see something like Suicune or Zygarde, things that you can actually use, most people just don't.

Dr Ciel

Banned deucer.
I'd really like to see Mega Absol for the next POTW, as with an extensive selection of coverage moves, as well as Magic Bounce makes it a really dangerous threat. Anyway, on the topic of Staraptor, I myself prefer the Choice Scarfed sets, as Staraptor can be a fantastic, & I mean Fantastic cleaner.

Some requests I can think of are
• Mega Ampharos
• Porygon2
• Mega Aggron
• Mega Abomasnow
• Quagsire
• Gourgeist-Super
• Chandelure
I second these, especially M-Aggron and M-Abomasnow as they are quite possibly my favourite Megas to use. (Use Rock Polish M-Aggron people, it's good for you.)

Your write-up on Staraptor was on point. I always though it was really good and overlooked, even in old gens. Now it seems to be getting more hype because of its Double Dragon place with Talonflame, which I think is a great benefit of the DD strategy. Overlooked 'mons can find great new viability.

One of the hardest decisions must be U-Turn/Quick Attack on the banded set. U-turn is probably the way to go, but in a metagame like this some decent priority is golden.

staraptor is actually a good poke. now heres the cool thing. some people will usally look at this and be like "talonflame is better" but looking more into this, staraptor has better base attack at 120 while talonflame has 81 attack. but this is when the tides twist, talonflame has whooping 130 base speed while staraptor has 100 speed. but this poke can completely demolish with the choice scarf. use reckless+STAB with brave bird/double edge and just watch the HP drop like its hot. (such a bad pun) the only thing that could out speed it is like mega pinsir/scarfed talonflame/scarfed crobat.(but usally people dont choice crobats)

oh yes, does anyone know where u get reckless staravias? im pretty sure u get em from hordes but not sure

Some requests I can think of are
• Mega Ampharos
• Porygon2
• Mega Aggron
• Mega Abomasnow
• Quagsire
• Gourgeist-Super
• Chandelure
mega amphros is so good i use one on my trick room team. oh and plus he is the best unknown noivern counter there is. ion delgue can completely destroy a noivern due to its heavy use of boom burst

What kind of discussion are you looking to get from these threads? I mean, you're basically bringing up an underrated threat, doing an analysis of its sets, and then waiting for suggestions for next week's. What's the difference here between simply giving a list of underrated threats, and then pointing players to their respective analyses?

The best way to go in my opinion would be to actively encourage people to post their favourite sets, partners, or even teams built around the POTW, so we can get a fairly comprehensive picture of the Pokemon's place in the metagame.

It's a good idea, but there's gotta be some way to prevent these threads from just being piles of please-do-my-favorite-crappy-pokemon-next crapola, followed by the inevitable tools that point this out.

Aw crap that's me isn't it.

staraptor is actually a good poke. now heres the cool thing. some people will usally look at this and be like "talonflame is better" but looking more into this, staraptor has better base attack at 120 while talonflame has 81 attack. but this is when the tides twist, talonflame has whooping 130 base speed while staraptor has 100 speed. but this poke can completely demolish with the choice scarf. use reckless+STAB with brave bird/double edge and just watch the HP drop like its hot. (such a bad pun) the only thing that could out speed it is like mega pinsir/scarfed talonflame/scarfed crobat.(but usally people dont choice crobats)

oh yes, does anyone know where u get reckless staravias? im pretty sure u get em from hordes but not sure
Or Talonflame can use Brave Bird and go first anyway.

Anyway, Staraptor is pretty interesting. It's always flown (hehe) under the radar with me, probably because I don't like gen 4 that much, but also because I never see it used. I was very surprised to find out it's in OU, but looking into his stats and movesets, I understood why.
Usable? Yes. So is Malamar, though, but it's hard to pull off.

Always!

WAGESLAVE
is a Tiering Contributor
Staraptor has an extremely nice niche, as wallbreaking and doing a truckload to most Pokemon.

B Rank suits it, and it is definitely viable this gen.

Also, MBanette would be cool.

So sorry ;-;

To all: "In this thread though, the main point of discussion should be about experiences with that particular Pokemon and the sets featured, and how it has helped in some way during your battling"
Read the OP.
VM Pokemon Requests
This isn't primarily for discussion, its a completely factual article-based thing highlighting underused threats. It is to appeal to the newer playerbase to encourage them to be more creative and use threats that aren't as prominent currently. You can use it like a discussion thread, but that isn't its main goal.

Imagine Staraptor being a Japanese kamikaze bomber. You yell "Banzai!" and just throw out Brave Birds and Double Edges until Staraptor dies; Usually KOing 2-3 Pokemon in the process. It clears the way for his now widowed wife, Talonflame, who now goes out and revenges her fallen husband, Staraptor. As having no training, Talonflame eventually falls but not before taking down 2 Pokemon with her, leaving the way for their neighbors to avenge the death of this once happy couple.

The double bird core is so unbelievable good it's not funny. Adding mega pinsir to the core makes this nearly unstoppable as literally nothing's walling 3 rounds of incredibly powerful flying stabs. It's really a beautiful sight to behold.

Imagine Staraptor being a Japanese kamikaze bomber. You yell "Banzai!" and just throw out Brave Birds and Double Edges until Staraptor dies; Usually KOing 2-3 Pokemon in the process. It clears the way for his now widowed wife, Talonflame, who now goes out and revenges her fallen husband, Staraptor. As having no training, Talonflame eventually falls but not before taking down 2 Pokemon with her, leaving the way for their neighbors to avenge the death of this once happy couple.
If that were short enough, I'd put it in a signature.

As for Tyrant Laharl, are we going back to 4th gen with those kind of tactics? "Triple Bird, Triple Steel?" :)

I like this concept of "underrated threats". However, as I am going further away from standard OU metagames (more of a Wifi player), I can't comment much on Staraptor's viability in "Smogonmon".

Actually I changed my mind, it would be good to read an article on Zygarde seeings as I feel a lot of players (including me) are somewhat confused about how to use him. If the aim of the thread is to inform, perhaps its a good idea to only focus on threats that are appearing this gen, which is to say no stuff like Darmanitan and Suicune- they're underrated but I feel most people already understand their very simple roles in the metagame.
Also if someone can post a draft of a working team that includes triple bird talonflame pinsir and staraptor, that would be awesome to see.

The only issue with Starraptor is I'm almost certain skarm can roost-stall CC, being slower and all. Because Skarm is one of the absolute premier stops to Pinsir-m, a dual bird combo HAS to overcome that. Elsewise, why use it? That's why I like starraptor for a Talonflame partner so much more than a Pinsir-m counter. Heatran, Tyranitar, rotom-w are both fantastic counters to Talonflame, and all take massive damage from Close combat (or in rotom-w's case, double edge).

The dual bird combo is effective, we know. It destroys everything without two individual checks/counters to these pokemon. Unfortunately, the functionality of these combos when TTar/Heatran or Heatran/Skarm, Rotom-w/Heatran appear on the same team can be questioned. As rotom-w is on almost every team, it needs to be understood that this combo MAY hit two checks two flying types, and now due to the reveal of this strategy and how effective it is, there is a strong chance people WILL run two checks.

Under appreciated viable Pokemon in OU is a choice few. A lot of people are chucking out their favorite UU mons thinking that they'll get an ou analysis now. It has to be Pokemon that are actually really good in the current meta but just aren't being used as much as they should (hence this first post crediting the powerful Double Bird combo)

Things that I can see getting a post are zygarde, suicune, chestnaught, maybe even entei. Can't think of more.

Actually I changed my mind, it would be good to read an article on Zygarde seeings as I feel a lot of players (including me) are somewhat confused about how to use him. If the aim of the thread is to inform, perhaps its a good idea to only focus on threats that are appearing this gen, which is to say no stuff like Darmanitan and Suicune- they're underrated but I feel most people already understand their very simple roles in the metagame.
Also if someone can post a draft of a working team that includes triple bird talonflame pinsir and staraptor, that would be awesome to see.
I've been playing around with this team, and so far it's worked pretty well

Staraptor @ Choice Band
Adamant/Jolly
252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 HP
-Brave Bird
-Double-Edge
-Close Combat
-U-turn

Talonflame @ Life Orb
Ability: Gale Wings
Adamant
124 HP / 252 Atk / 136 Spe
-Brave Bird
-Flare Blitz
-Swords Dance
-Roost

Pinsir @ Pinsirite
Ability: Moxie ==> Aerilate
Adamant/Jolly
252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 HP
-Quick Attack
-Close Combat
-Return
-Stone Edge

Excadrill @ Leftovers
Ability: Mold Breaker
Adamant
252 Atk / 252 SpD / 4 HP
-Earthquake
-Stealth Rock
-Rapid Spin
-Shadow Claw

Rotom-W @ Iron Ball
Ability: Levitate
Bold
252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
-Hydro Pump
-Volt Switch
-Trick
-Will-O-Wisp
(I know Iron Ball is a weird choice, but it really fucks an opposing Talonflame over, as well as crippling any fast sweeper)

Sylveon @ Leftovers
Ability: Pixilate
Calm
252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 SpA
-Hyper Voice
-Heal Bell
-Wish
-Protect

I love that you chose a great OU mon that isn't really that well known. Staraptor's one of my favorite pokemon this gen with the double bird combo, and you covered his traits very well.

Except, Darmanitan isn't really OU viable. Sure you can use him, but I don't see why you ever would with better fire types. Sure he hits harder than Charizard X, but he's so bad against anything other than a wall that he's hard to justify ever using. I really wish people would stop bringing him up. I'd rather see something like Suicune or Zygarde, things that you can actually use, most people just don't.
I've been using it to decent success so far. Don't go saying that is me saying they're the same, but Darm and Raptor do have similarities in there playstyles. They're both

A. Weak to Rocks
B. Great revenge killers when scarfed which helps make up for both of their average at best speeds
C. Have great attack stats and moves to back up their stat
D. Get worn down very easily because they mostly rely on recoil moves(and both have abilitys that up the power of their recoil moves)
E. Can easily generate momentum when obvious switch in is obvious
F. Really frail. 85/70/60 and 105/55/55 aren't exactly good. Or anywhere close to good .

Not saying that Darmanitan is the best choice for fire types, but it's definitely still viable. Anyway, back to staraptor and his fantastic wallbreaking.

Jolly Scarfraptor's Brave Bird seems incredibly similar to Adamant Band Talonflame's. Just as an example

252 Atk Reckless Staraptor Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Slowbro: 151-178 (38.3 - 45.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Choice Band Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Slowbro: 159-187 (40.3 - 47.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

The Band set looks good, but I'm not sold on Scarf. If I was using double bird, Band would complement Talonflame better (overwhelming flying checks with power). If I wasn't using double bird, I think I'd rather use Talonflame. Scarf Staraptor hits things that Talonflame can't and it has a faster U-Turn, but but priority BB is just so valuable for a revenge killer.

I don't really see Scarf Staraptor to be all that useful

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)