Other XY OU Pokemon of the Week #6: Kyurem-B

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, TRC. with Magnemite here bringing everyone the next Pokemon of the Week!

The XY OU Pokemon of the Week is an (obviously) weekly project in the Overused forum. The idea originated from when we were reading many of the discussion threads, often the discussion is a bit lacking in the content department. Our goal here to is to highlight a threat in the metagame that isn't as well known, or isn't used as much as it should be, and provide a concise amount of information about that Pokemon; this will encourage creativity during teambuilding, and it will also provide an instant wealth of knowledge about that particular threat. This will hopefully be more helpful to the massive influx of new players in the OU subforum and promote better discussion within the individual threads. In this thread though, the main point of discussion should be about experiences with that particular Pokemon and the sets featured, and how it has helped in some way during your battling. Niche sets and gimmicks can be mentioned as well, but bear in mind that this thread is mainly an informative source of knowledge through what is written in the OP; discussion is not its main focus, though it is most certainly allowed. we need to make this point clear. Think of this like an article introducing you to a new threat that you can use; and try it out! Oh yeah, you can also VM one of us what you think the next POTW should be, bearing in mind that they will be on lesser-used threats, such as Chesnaught, Krookodile, or Cofagrigus.

Remember, in order to be Pokemon of the Week, a Pokemon must be in a tier below OU (Including BL).

This week's Pokemon of the Week is Kyurem-B.

Art by The (phenomenal) Mega Lotad. Give him an Artist Badge already Birkal :P

Type: Dragon / Ice
Base Stats: 125 HP / 170 Atk / 100 Def / 120 SpA / 90 SpD / 95 Spe
Ability: Teravolt

Introduction
Kyurem-B is a Pokemon that has a lot going for it. It is one of, if not the best mixed wallbreaker in the game. Its phenomenal mixed coverage and superb base 170 / 120 attacking stats make switching into it a nightmare. Kyurem-B can tear apart common stall cores like they're made of cardboard, assisted by its great Teravolt ability which lets it ignore abilities such as Mega Venusaur's Thick Fat and Rotom-W's Levitate. Its ability to forces switches like nothing else also makes it a wonderful user of Substitute, which lets it beat would-be revenge killers such as Keldeo with ease. It can also forgo its mixed attacking capabilities and go for a Choice Band set which, while not quite as effective, is capable of OHKOing or 2HKOing the entire metagame.

However, like every Pokemon, Kyurem-B is not without its flaws. Its typing, which makes it great offensively, is bad defensively. Despite having great natural bulk, awful weaknesses to Fighting, Dragon, Steel, Fairy, and Rock (especially Stealth Rock) make it easy to handle offensively. This also makes Kyurem-B much less effective against offensive teams than defensive teams. Its mediocre base 95 Speed doesn't help, either, and its physical movepool is remarkably barren. However, other than that, Kyurem-B really doesn't have any flaws. It is a fantastic Pokemon in nearly every way, and easily deserves to be in the top 20 in usage, not languishing in the 70s where it currently resides.

What to try:

Kyurem-Black @ Leftovers
EVs: 56 HP / 200 SpA / 252 Spe
Mild / Rash Nature
- Substitute
- Ice Beam
- Fusion Bolt
- Earth Power

The goal of this set is to set up a Substitute when you have the opportunity, usually by forcing a Pokemon out. By doing this, you give yourself a free shield against being revenge killed, enabling you to possible take out an offensive check to you as they break your Substitute. The Substitute also prevents Kyurem-B from being crippled by a debilitating status move, of a priority attack from the likes of Talonflame or Mega Scizor. Ice Beam is the only STAB move on this set, which allows it to heavily damage even Pokemon that are only neutral to it. Fusion Bolt is used so that Kyurem-B can break past Water-types, which resist Ice Beam. It also provides Kyurem-B with pseudo-BoltBeam coverage, which is known for being able to hit nearly all relevant Pokemon at least neutrally; this is further made more effective by the fact that one move is physical, and the other move is special. Earth Power rounds out the set to provide some nice coverage against Steel-types, and it hits Aegislash without activating King's Shield, which means Kyurem-B doesn't have to rely on hitting it with Fusion Bolt. 56 HP EVs ensure that your Substitutes can not be broken by a Chansey's Seismic Toss. The rest of the EVs are distributed into the attacking stat that Kyurem-B will be using most often, its Special Attack, and its Speed, with Speed being prioritized so Kyurem-B can at least Speed tie with other Kyurem-B running a Mild or a Rash nature. Speaking of which, the choice between a Mild and a Rash nature is entirely dependent on which defensive stat you want to be stronger than the other. Mild will weaken Defense and therefore mean that Kyurem-B's Special Defense is higher, while Rash will decrease Special Defense, meaning that Kyurem-B's Defense will be higher. The item choice is simple; Leftovers allows Kyurem-B to slowly recover health lost from the usage of Substitute.

Kyurem-Black @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Outrage
- Fusion Bolt
- Ice Beam
- Iron Head / Earth Power / Dragon Claw

This set is one of two mixed attacker sets commonly run by Kyurem-B. This set is physically based, the other is specially based. The choice of the first two moves is fairly obvious; they are both STAB moves and are incredibly powerful. Outrage will heavily damage anything that doesn't resist it, as it is coming off a fully invested base 170 Attack stat. Fusion Bolt provides coverage against Fairy- and Steel-types, as well as things it hits super effectively such as Mandibuzz. Ice Beam creates that great BoltBeam coverage, perfect for hitting things like Gliscor and Landorus-T that have a weaker Special Defense stat, perfect for Kyurem-B to prey on. The final slot is free for adjusting to suit your personal needs. Iron Head is good for Fairy-types such as Clefable and Sylveon, Earth Power for Heatran and Rotom-W (which it can hit super effectively thanks to Teravolt), or Dragon Claw as a reliable STAB move. The EV spread is fairly straightforward; full Attack and Speed investment with a Hasty nature so that Kyurem-B's special move of choice isn't less powerful than it naturally would be. Life Orb boosts the power of all of Kyurem-B's moves.

Kyurem-Black @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Ice Beam
- Fusion Bolt
- Earth Power
- Roost

In contrast to the physically based mixed attacker, this set is specially oriented, but it is still an effective wallbreaker. Ice Beam forces its way through foes, and is almost guaranteed to OHKO anything weak to it. Fusion Bolt is the physical option on the set, which allows Kyurem-B to break through special walls and Fairy-types, such as Sylveon and Azumarill. Earth Power contributes basically to what it does on the other two sets: hitting Rotom-W and Heatran hard. Finally, this set has the room to run Roost, a move which heals Kyurem-B, perfect for offsetting the damage it takes from Life Orb or possibly Stealth Rock. The EVs are parallel to the physically based set; they invest fully in Special Attack as opposed to Attack, but still invest in Speed as well. The Hasty nature serves the same purpose as the previous set, as does the Life Orb.

What else can you try?
Hidden Power Fire is definitely a great move to try, as it allows Kyurem-B to get the jump on Ferrothorn and Scizor. It does have trouble fitting it into its moveslots however. Kyurem-B can fulfill the role of a "Utility Check", a Pokemon that can check troublesome setup sweepers after they set up, and then phaze them out with Dragon Tail and recover lost health with Roost. A bulkier EV spread benefits it greatly in this role: 248 HP / 60 SpD / 200 Spe is recommended. A Choice Band set boasts the game's most powerful Outrage, and hits hard with its other moves as well. A Choice Scarf set can also work, but is not as effective as it was in BW as there are more effective revenge killers around nowadays, such as Talonflame.

Good Partners for this Pokemon
Kyurem-B is worn down by hazards so easily, as it is weak to Stealth Rock and still takes damage from Spikes, therefore, a Defog user or a Rapid Spin user is absolutely mandatory. Excadrill is a good choice, as it has a Steel STAB move in Iron Head to target Sylveon, Clefable, and Togekiss. Latios can use Defog, and forms a "Double Dragon" core, as each can wear down the others checks and counters. Late-game sweepers benefit from Kyurem-B's wallbreaking potential, as they can easily clean up after the sheer demolition that Kyurem-B has enacted.

How to defeat this Pokemon: Checks and Counters
Outright countering Kyurem-B is nearly impossible due to its ridiculous power and coverage. Bulky fairies such as Clefable and Sylveon are your best bet, however even they fall to Iron Head. Sylveon can also bypass Kyurem-B's Substitutes and 2HKO it from full health with Hyper Voice. Chansey is the next closest thing to a Kyurem-B "counter" due to its insane mixed walling capabilities. However, it cannot dream of walling the Choice Band set, which is so powerful that it can potentially OHKO the studiest mixed wall in the game with Outrage after Stealth Rock.

Checking this monster, however, is much easier, especially if it does not have a Substitute up. Revenge killers such as Scizor, Conkeldurr, or Talonflame can make quick work of a weakened Kyurem-B, while faster Pokemon such as Keldeo or Terrakion can easily handle Kyurem-B, but they cannot switch into Kyurem-B at all and are worthless against it if it has a Substitute up.

There we go, that's the fifth Pokemon of the Week! Let us know whether this has helped you at all, and your results of testing these Kyurem-B sets on the ladder. Also, don't forget to let us know via VM what Pokemon you want to see next. All opinions are welcome, as well as opinions about the Pokemon of the Week format and any ideas you want to see implemented, as well as questions for us about either Kyurem-B or POTW itself. Go out there and try Kyurem-B now, and we'll see you next time!

Last edited:
I've been using this monster for a few weeks, and seriously I'm not taking it out of my team anytime soon. It's been easily my MVP.

I started by using the Special LO set, but then changed to the Substitute set, and oh god how it worked. Once you set up a Substitute, you have a massive advantage. I can count on my fingers the number of pokemon who can check a Kyurem-B who is already behind the substitute. There is Conkeldurr, Scizor, Sylveon, Tyranitar, the blobs and... that's probably it. Everything else wastes a turn to take the Sub down while taking heavy damage in the process. And setting up is so easy, since it can use a large part of the metagame for that. The fact that it uses the most common pokemon in OU as set up fodder says a lot about it. My ladder career was built on the remains of destroyed washing machines who could do nothing to stop its sub, and needed at least two hits to take it down.

It has so many weaknesses, but similarly to Tyranitar, it's amazing bulk means it can survive most of the attacks that deal SE damage to it, so that isn't such a big problem. And I don't feel like it minds SR a lot, since all the time the opponent spends switching and trying to break subs helps it recover the damage with lefties. I've been able to sent Kyurem-B in and out multiple times in the same match without even trying to remove the rocks.

Plus the fact it is BL means most players outside the high ladder have no idea how to deal with it. Even in the 1600s I still find people who try to counter it with Rotom-W. Then they ragequit in terror as they watch their Levitate being broken. This pokemon is criminally underused, and not nearly as present in the metagame as it should be. It should be something everyone uses and prepares for, just like the most common OU mons.

I'm gonna say this: if this pokemon gets banned to ubers before the end of this generation, I won't even blink.

However, it cannot dream of walling the Choice Band set, which is so powerful that it can potentially OHKO the studiest mixed wall in the game with Outrage after Stealth Rock.
Chansey cant wall any set with outrage and either max attack investment or life orb. 252 atk @ leftovers is already a 2hko against Chansey so there is realy no Choiceband needed here. The closest thing to a counter is probably a defensive Scizor. With full HP and some def investment it should be able to take any hit Kyu can fire at him and ko back with bulletpunch.

This thing is a hellish monster, it can spread death wherever it goes effortlessly. However, Stealth Rock, and any powerful fairy and mega scizor stop it dead. This is the set that I use;

Kyurem-Black @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Outrage
- Fusion Bolt
- Ice Beam
- Substitute

I have to agree with the OP, this monster of an anti-Meta Pokemon is criminally underused. It's also hilarious how some people are unprepared for it. 2HKOing Rotom-W and Mega Venusaur is an impressive feat. And the fact that it uses all variants of Rotom-W for a free Sub should make people wary of even thinking about bringing up the washing machine. Ah, the psychological pressure Kyurem-B brings up is just <3

This thing is insane once Sub is up.
If your poke is slower than Kyurem-B, it will have to take a hit, break its sub, and take another hit before you can hurt KB.
But anything that can withstand two hits from KB are usually dedicated walls meaning they have little power to retaliate.
If your poke is faster, you can break its sub, still have to take a hit, and then proceed to hurt KB.
So basically to beat KB behind sub, you have to send in a poke that is (i) faster than KB, (ii) bulky enough to take one hit and
(iii) can deal ~87% to KB in one move (two turns of leftovers recovery after Sub).
Or you can send in a fast offensive poke to break sub, ditch it, and then send it another revenge killer.
But in this scenario KB will usually just switch out.

This thing is insane once Sub is up.
If your poke is slower than Kyurem-B, it will have to take a hit, break its sub, and take another hit before you can hurt KB.
But anything that can withstand two hits from KB are usually dedicated walls meaning they have little power to retaliate.
If your poke is faster, you can break its sub, still have to take a hit, and then proceed to hurt KB.
So basically to beat KB behind sub, you have to send in a poke that is (i) faster than KB, (ii) bulky enough to take one hit and
(iii) can deal ~87% to KB in one move (two turns of leftovers recovery after Sub).
Or you can send in a fast offensive poke to break sub, ditch it, and then send it another revenge killer.
But in this scenario KB will usually just switch out.
AV Conkeldurr needs 3 hits to die. So it can take on hit, break the sub, take another hit, deal high damage and then finish it with Mach Punch.
Same for Scizor, with Bullet Punch.
Tyranitar can also survive its moves and retaliate with Stone Miss. AV Tyranitar is particulary hard to take down.
Sylveon resists its moves pretty well and penetrates the sub.
Mega-Gardevoir outspeeds it and OHKOs it, I forgot to mention her in my last post because she's so rare.
Mega Medicham can break the sub and survive the hit. But then it's crippled for the rest of the battle.
Finally, the blobs are pretty much impossible for a sub Kyurem to take down.

But that's it. If the enemy team doesn't have any of these mons, get ready to sack something just to try to take the sub down.

And then there is the freeze chance. While the enemy continuously switches and tries to break the sub, Kyurem-B spams Ice Beam. At some point freeze stops being hax and becomes something that happens every other match. I can't think of any pokemon who is allowed to spam Ice Beam as shamelessly as KyuB.

Last edited:
I really like the first set's ability to get the drop on keldeo, who thinks. All you can do is spam ice beam.

However, after using this guy for a while I've noticed that, overall, kyurem b does far better against defensive teams.

As the OP said, against offensive teams, kyurem is often practically dead weight.

Which makes me wonder, besides slapping a scarf on him and calling it a day, what ways can kyurem be more effective against offensive teams?

I really like the first set's ability to get the drop on keldeo, who thinks. All you can do is spam ice beam.

However, after using this guy for a while I've noticed that, overall, kyurem b does far better against defensive teams.

As the OP said, against offensive teams, kyurem is often practically dead weight.

Which makes me wonder, besides slapping a scarf on him and calling it a day, what ways can kyurem be more effective against offensive teams?
The sub set is still good against offensive teams. You can easily come in on something you force out, such as Rotom-Wash, non-scarf Landorus-T, or Heatran, and then set a sub up and proceed to wreck their switch-in as they break your sub. It's definitely much better against stall, but that's a given.

Rotosect

Banned deucer.
The Substitute set is the most practical one but do note that the LO set can destroy the very few pokemon that can wall the former. Outrage is so strong that it can potentially OHKO AV conk and Eviolite Chansey.
It's also not true that Kyu-B is deadweight against offensive teams, because they're likely to carry a pivot like Rotom-W or Lando-T, which Kyu-B can easily take advantage of. Against such teams a well-played Kyu-B can easily score 1 or 2 KO's before going down.

The Substitute set is the most practical one but do note that the LO set can destroy the very few pokemon that can wall the former. Outrage is so strong that it can potentially OHKO AV conk and Eviolite Chansey.
It's also not true that Kyu-B is deadweight against offensive teams, because they're likely to carry a pivot like Rotom-W or Lando-T, which Kyu-B can easily take advantage of. Against such teams a well-played Kyu-B can easily score 1 or 2 KO's before going down.
The fact that it has resistance to Volt Switch also helps a lot.

I was running Sub Kyu-B, and my opponent sent out a bulky Gothitelle (Rest / Calm Mind / Psyshock, forgot the final move but it was probably something for Dark-types). It just used Calm Mind 5 or 6 times then killed Kyu-B and did serious damage to basically get my opponent the win. Kyu-B's Fusion Bolt did around 25%, and the Ice Beam / Earth Power were doing less than that after she got 1-2 Calm Mind up. Obviously couldn't switch out because of Shadow Tag, and Gothitelle just let me keep my Sub up until she was finished setting up.

I even froze Gothitelle once with Ice Beam, which didn't affect the outcome. Fusion Bolt got PP stalled with Rests while she set up.

I use a Hasty Sub Kyurem-B, and it works wonderfully against any kind of stall tactics. MegaSaur, all forms of Rotom, Gliscor, Landorus; all of them kneel before the electrical sovereign of Ice. True, he doesn't quite fare as well against Hyper Offensive teams, but thats what his 5 other partners are for. He has been and shall continue to be my go-to Dragon.

Idyll

xD
is a Tutoris an official Team Rateris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
RBTT Champion
The thing I like about this thing is how easily it can decimate stall once the blobs are gone. I've been using him on most of my teams, and he easily becomes a very outstanding performer. It can take out Gliscor, Skarmory, Mandibuzz (in a sub), MVenu, Heatran, and almost everything to stall relevant bar Fairies. He can also take out FWG core very easily with his extremely good coverage; there's nothing wrong with Physical Electric and Special Ice and Ground. The freeze chance is just the icing the cake, giving some hax on the destroyer.

Very much, this guy's a great mon for those who hate stall and walls.
This thing can pull it's own weight against offense if it manages to get a Sub up, which is easy if you can find a Landog or something. If it gets a sub, you're basically guaranteed a kill.

Kyurem-B is criminally underused. I'm in complete shock that it was in UU for any length of time. It's an incredible pokemon in this metagame, and its wallbreaking capabilities are just fantastic. Definitely a favorite of mine.

Leftovers Sub is great for dealing with all those pesky Rotoms. I prefer leftovers to ease my reliance on removing hazards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)