Project XY RU Research Week #7

Status
Not open for further replies.
Approved by Molk
OP stolen from Mazz
Taken over from HotnCold

RESEARCH WEEK #7

• Be open-minded, don't just say something is terrible and walk away; look at its stats, movepool, and typing and think something up!
  • Feel free to theorymon early in the research period, but make it clear you're doing so. Later in the period though, you will be expected to back up your posts with hard evidence like logs, actual sets, perhaps even teams.
  • Just because an analysis has been done for a Pokemon doesn't mean there isn't more to explore; it's very likely that something has gone unnoticed.
  • Do not post in this thread complaining about the Pokemon I choose and / or suggesting ones we should do for future weeks. Feel free to VM / PM me these suggestions, but don't expect me to always listen to you.
A few things to clarify:
  • Early period means the first three days of the research week, so let's keep the theorymoning to a minimum after. The late period refers to the last four days of the research week, where raw evidence and discussion should become the basis of the thread.
  • You must post a ladder ranking and Discuss in order to win.

This Week's Research Pokemon:

Togetic | Mesprit | Cofagrigus (formerly Spoopy Skeleton)

How useful are these Pokemon in XY RU? What sets can they run effectively? What gives them trouble? What advantages do they have over other Pokemon? How well do they work in the metagame? If you have anything to say about any of these Pokemon, please post about them! It doesn't matter if you've used them or have just faced them in battle, anything is fine (but please, do try them). Just be sure to back up your posts with good competitive reasoning. Remember, discussion is not limited to this topic, you are encouraged to talk about these Pokemon in #rarelyused as well!

The Research Group Challenge:

In order to participate you must do the following:
  • Post here with a fresh alt and the name(s) of the Pokemon you will be using.
  • Use at least one of the Pokemon being researched.
  • Post your experiences with the Pokemon you're using, participate in the discussion!
  • Post logs of this Pokemon in action against other teams - don't just tell us, show us!
  • Remember to submit your ranking!
The first stage of the challenge will be very relaxed so theorymon will be allowed as long as its backed up by good reasoning. During the later stage, discussion will be expected to be backed up by hard evidence, such as teams, actual sets, and logs. The winner of the challenge will be the person who has the highest ladder ranking on the Pokemon Showdown RU ladder on the alt they registered at the time the challenge ends. Prizes are currently being discussed with higher powers, so hang tight while I find something worth your guys' attention.

Week #2:
Xenoblade911
Week #3:
galbia
Week #4:
Migzoo
Week #5:
The Leprechaun
Week #6:
The Leprechaun

GlassGlaceon

My heart has now been set on love
in as glass pass 2014

togetic - lol we already know this thing is amazing because gr8 bulk and slow bapongbas

I haven't seriously played RU before so I think I'll join this just to get a taste of it.

Entering as toucanasian sam, I'll also be using Togetic but I might try Mesprit too.

Pokemon: Mesprit and Togetic
alt: Hi It's Time
After playing RU for a while, i decided to research about Mesprit and Togetic:

I decided to make a team to try out Mesprit lead:

Although i got rekt, this battle shows how useful Twave can be on Mesprit and also shows it's potential as an offensive lead. Although i might of abused hax it helped prevent more hazards being set up. Not only that it prevented the incoming braviary from setting up by paralysing it.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/rususpecttest-149674719

After experimenting with twave and lefties, i found it sort of useless so i decided to do replace twave with trick and Scarf with lefties. With scarf it makes sure that i get rocks up and with trick it creates plays such as locking slower pokemon into Stealth rocks which gives you the advantage to make plays.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/rususpecttest-149866780

After playing with leads for a while i decided to play with CM+3 attacks Mesprit, after playing some matches i found that Mesprit has a hard time to find time to setup CM. Although Mesprit is sort of tanky with it's 105/105 defenses, it doesn't take knock off's pretty well from the common sweepers which have the move such as Ambipom, Hitmonlee. Not only that, even with 1 CM, it doesn't really do much damage enough to wreck stuff. It could work but you need a lot of support and get rid most of it's threats such as Registeel, Sharpedo, knock off users, yanmega.

Here's the team i used:

With this i conclude my research on Mesprit, through this experience i found that Mesprit makes an okay mediocre lead, terrible sweeper in the current RU meta.

After playing Mesprit, I decided to test out Togepass with togetic. After playing against and with it, i found that Togetic makes a good baton passer with Nasty Plot raising it's special attack +2. With that it can baton pass to many other pokemons like Yanmega, Delphox, Special Sharpedo which could wreck teams.

Last edited:
Reactions: g
It wouldn't be fair to participate because I used my main alt and didn't properly sign up but today I built a quick team using Mesprit. The team turned out as a joke even tho I had success (14-2 with bibarel lol) but Mesprit turned out to be a fantastic offensive Stealth Rock / Healing Wish user. Despite the not stellar defensive synergy i have chosen Doublade as a partner as it can spinblock the Stealth Rock Mesprit sets and LOVES Healing Wish

Mesprit @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Healing Wish
- Ice Beam
- Psychic

I guess Modest is an option but i like to be able to check Adamant Hitmonlee. Ice Beam trashes Gligar and does decent damage to Psychic immunities like Drapion while Psychic destroys the other main defogger Golbat. Thunderbolt is another option to hit Slowking

Last edited:
ok so

Togepass, is really, really god damn good in the meta right now. Togetic gets to set up on such a large portion of the meta, has great bulk coupled with eviolite, and has shitty enough speed so that nearly anything it passes to gets in safely. Basically, a team of Omastar + Physically defensive Togetic + 4 Special sweepers that can take advantage of the +2, such as Yanmega, Delphox, Sharpedo, and Whimsicott, pretty much make a standard Togepass team (just make sure you have something that can check Rotom-C with Scarf, having to protect twice with yan and shark is really annoying). It's also a pretty good defogger and cleric, and has access to some other moves like T-wave. Overall, it's really an underrated threat and should be used more.

I really feel like this should be extended to a little after the suspect test, seeing as the meta will probably undergo a lot of changes and we should see how these three could benefit (or not). Mesprit is week to both of the suspect tests, Togetic checks/counters both, and Cofa is weak to Zoroark. I'm guessing one if not both will leave, so these mons will probably be affected in some way.
Also, there isn't really any discussion yet. :x

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)