VGC You tricked me into thinking it was sunrise!

May have posted incorrectly before. First time posting so can't figure out sprites! Love any feedback on how I can improve this!

Introduction
Team Members:
Amarouge, Indeedee-F, Torkoal, Lilligant-Hisui, Flutter Mane, Sinistcha
Premise/Rationale: This premise of this team is to confuse opponents on whether the team will play with Sun or with Trick Room. 4/6 of the team excels in Trick Room, and 4/6 excel in the sun with the options to swap in members based on the opposing team's outlook. I started thinking of this as a trick room team centered on Armarouge and Indeedee-F. As I started thinking about other slow Pokemon, Torkoal popped in my head as someone that could hit hard and hit with the sun. Not wanting to be dependent on Trick Room - Lilligant-H popped in my head as a good balance. At this point I stopped and started thinking about how mind-numbing it would be to play a team where I didn't know if it would be fast or slow. Tornadus/Cresselia teams always messed with me because of uncertainty on which way the team would lean - why not do that but add weather and terrain to the mix? Flutter Mane came in because of it's natural affinity with Protosynthesis, and as another Pokemon with the ability to play fast. Finally, I added in Sinistcha to have another Trick Room user, for recovery, and to balance against water teams.

The Team
Armarouge

Armarouge @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Flash Fire
Tera Type: Grass
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Energy Ball
- Armor Cannon
- Expanding Force
- Protect
Summary: With Armarouge I opted to maximize hitting hard as a special attacker. Expanding Force and Armor Cannon for STAB - both are enhanced by either Psychic Terrain or Sun respectively. Energy Ball is to handle weaknesses (Water, Ground, Rock) while serving as a third STAB if Terastallizing. Protect is to enable Trick Room setup.
Considerations: Considered running Trick Room on Armarouge, but the threat of spread damage from Tera-Fairy Flutter Mane Dazzling gleam or Ursaluna Earthquake was too much.

Indeedee-F
Indeedee-F @ Psychic Seed
Ability: Psychic Surge
Tera Type: Fairy
EVs: 252 HP / 220 Def / 36 SpD
Calm Nature
- Dazzling Gleam
- Trick Room
- Follow Me
- Helping Hand
Summary: Indeedee-F has a fairly standard role - set up terrain & Trick Room, then tank as much damage as possible (Follow-Me) or help deal it (Helping Hand). Dazzling Gleam and Tera Fairy are to prevent Taunt-lock and also serve as a counter to Dark types.
Considerations: Dazzling Gleam vs. Psychic. There's enough psychic power from Armarouge that spread damage was more valuable to me.

Torkoal
Torkoal @ Charcoal
Ability: Drought
Tera Type: Fire
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Eruption
- Body Press
- Solar Beam
- Protect
Summary: Torkoal serves as the core Sun setter, and deals massive damage with Eruption. Protect is to help scout, while also saving HP while Trick Room is setup. Solar Beam is to address any Water, Ground, or Rock types, and Body Press serves to break Physical walls.
Considerations: Iron Defense to bulk up and enhance Body Press. Earth Power to address opposing Fire types (Notably Heatran and Arcanine-Hisui). Yawn to disrupt opponents and force switch-ins. Ultimately decided to avoid setup and hit as hard as possible! Also thought about Ninetails here, but wanted to ensure Sun was setup as late as possible in case of weather wars.

Lilligant-Hisui
Lilligant-Hisui @ Focus Sash
Ability: Chlorophyll
Tera Type: Ghost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Solar Blade
- Close Combat
- After You
- Sleep Powder
Summary: The consummate Torkoal partner. Lilligant-H is built solely for hitting hard and fast. Solar Blade and Close Combat are primary STAB moves. Sleep Powder exists to disrupt opponents. After you in Sun is to help not only Torkoal's Eruption, but really any of the slower Pokemon on this team (e.g., Armarouge if Sun and Psychic Terrain are up but Trick Room is not). Tera Ghost is to prevent Fake Out flinch and move away from a 4x Flying weakness.
Considerations: Looked at Ice Spinner for Landorus-T and any flying types that threaten with 4x weakness, but would rather be able to disrupt sleep.

Flutter Mane
Flutter Mane @ Choice Specs
Ability: Protosynthesis
Tera Type: Fairy
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Dazzling Gleam
- Shadow Ball
- Moonblast
- Thunderbolt
Summary: The first unique, non-paired choice on this team. Flutter Mane was chosen for natural affinity for Sun, ability to handle opposing Psychic types, and access to Thunderbolt for Water and Flying coverage. The goal is the same as Lilligant - hit hard and fast. I wanted Choice Specs and Tera-Fairy on Flutter Mane to boost damage as much as possible.
Considerations: None -first time I came in thinking (this is it, this is the set)

Sinistcha
Sinistcha @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Hospitality
Tera Type: Grass
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Relaxed Nature
- Matcha Gotcha
- Rage Powder
- Strength Sap
- Trick Room
Summary: Aside from interest in Sinistcha, it has a trident-focus. Pointer one is healing both others (Matcha Gotcha, Hospitality) and itself (Strength Sap, Sitrus Berry). Pointer two is as an additional Trick Room user given others have 4-moveslot syndrome. Pointer three is to serve as a Bulky Grass type that threatens rain teams while pulling away damage (similar to Indeedee).
Considerations: Considered Eviolite Dipplin here to lower opponent evasiveness with Supersweet Syrup, and increase chances of Sleep Powder hitting, Pollen Puff healing, and Syrup Bomb to continue speed control. Didn't want to take away from the team though

Play Style
What I love about this team is the variety of leads it can bring - Standard pairings of course are Lilligant/Torkoal and Armarouge/Indeedee. An example of a few other options:
1. Indeedee/Torkoal - Set up weather and terrain immediately. Turn 1 is Trick Room and Protect, Turn 2 is Helping Hand-boosted Eruptions.
2. Flutter Mane/Indeedee - Indeedee can give a Helping Hand boosted Turn 1 Tera-Fairly Moonblast/Dazzling Gleam (depending on what the opponent is running). Or if it looks like a Tailwind set, can immediately switch into Torkoal to set up sun and Protosynthesis to match.

Possible Counters
1. Landorus-T - Gives a really hard time with immunity to Thunderbolt and no STAB moves to address it. Ulimately, hoping to not run into this.
2. Heatran - Also gives a hard time as it fully walls most except for Lilligant and Torkoal. Torkoal can Body Press but setting up Sun is not ideal, and limits usage of Eruption.
3. Any team overriding weather - Particularly Sand teams. A team leading Garchomp and then switching in Tyranitar could ruin a Torkoal + Lilligant strategy and blocks Expanding Force.

sprites can be in the forum rules, a url w/ them in alphabetical, or what I do now is :pokemon name: so just between colons no space.

At a glance, don't really like Safety Goggles on Armarouge, it can tera to take spores and stuff. Shift the 8 SpD(should be just 4, this is level 50 meta too right?) on Torkoal to Def, that stat deals damage w. its set. Unles sthey do something, idk that this is likely. I'm sure there could be a better EV spread too, even than that.

LovelyLuna

Lost in a life full of mistakes
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Hey! Love the team, Sun + Trick Room (or Sunroom for short) has been a solid archetype for a while, usually with Armarouge :Armarouge: and Indeedee :Indeedee-F:. The team is currently viable, but here are some changes I'd make for improvement!

Major Changes (Pokemon Replacements, Set Changes)

Sinistcha :Sinistcha: -> Ursaluna :Ursaluna:

Sinistcha :Sinistcha:, doesn't provide a lot as a trick room setter for the team, you didn't mention it in your notable leads and it loses to the same things your intended Armarouge :Armarouge: Indeedee :Indeedee-F: lead may struggle with. Its healing ability, is less valuable on your all out offensive team, which attempts to pick up as many kills as possible in its 4 turn timer/until Torkoal :Torkoal: gets hit. Having something like Ursaluna :Ursaluna:, which provides a physical attacker and a Heatran :Heatran: check is a lot more valuable. Ursaluna :Ursaluna: itself also appreciates the team, Psychic terrain overrides Rillaboom :Rillaboom:'s, allowing Ursaluna :Ursaluna: to keep using Earthquakes.

Ursaluna @ Flame Orb
Level: 50
Ability: Guts
EVs: 140 HP / 156 Atk / 76 Def / 132 SpD / 4 Spe
Tera Type: Ghost
Adamant Nature
- Facade
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance
- Protect

Minor Changes (Items, Tera Types, Movesets):

Armarouge :Armarouge: should be Life Orb or Twisted Spoon for the power, it attempts to pick up as many kos as it can and the boost really enables that. You have Tera Grass when worried about Amoonguss :Amoonguss: and the option to give Safety Goggles to Indeedee :Indeedee-F: if worried. You should also put Trick room over Energy Ball, this let's you go for a more consistent Follow me + Trick Room set up while also keeping the option to protect with Armarouge :Armarouge:. Expanding Force or Armor Cannon are in general stronger than a super effective Energy Ball afterall.

Body Press -> Earth Power and Solar Beam -> Heat Wave on Torkoal :Torkoal:. The aforementioned Heatran :Heatran:, is a lot of trouble for your team and having another pokemon that pressures it is appreciated, Torkoal :Torkoal: is also bound to take damage and Eruption will grow weak, this is why you want to use Heat Wave as a strong sun boosted option.

Very Minor Changes (EVs and Natures):

Smogon Strategy Dex should be reliable for any EVs you may look for. However, a few relevant ones I noticed are;

Torkoal :Torkoal: is slightly wasting EVs, at level 50 it starts with 4 and then adds by 8. Simply making it Max hp fixes this issue

Flutter Mane :Flutter Mane: in particular appreciates bulk over speed, this gives you a better matchup into Chien-Pao :Chien-Pao: and makes you harder to remove overall. An EV spread of 28/0/212/132/4/132 Timid is a great start.

That would be all I have to say! I've kept the Sunroom idea, you wanting to hit hard and go for a fast paced game, and have only intended to strengthen it, hope you have fun with the team! Feel free to ask me any questions.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)