Your weekly hypothetical

The Plan is simple - Post a single hypothetical question ever week, answer it myself, and let you guys answer it too. Reap benefits, some of which include interesting responses and... uhh... some other things I'll find out along the way I guess. So let us begin with a simple question ~ If you were given 2 million dollars and 2 years to prepare for a nuclear apocalypse, what would you do? I myself would spend 1 million of that buying and building on land in an obscure part of Canada that is highly unlikely to have been near where a nuclear bomb had hit. I would then spend ~500k on building as large of a greenhouse as possible with a sustainable energy supply (likely wind powered due to the location) and within this greenhouse I would plant edible plants that don't need a ton of sun to grow (Likely underground plants such as radishes, carrots and potatoes). My remaining 500k would then be spent on ensuring that I would be able to have enough power throughout the year and stockpiling unperishable foods, most likely canned food. I would research this more thoroughly if I had the time but yeah.. you guys answer now.

Voltage

OTTN5
is a Pre-Contributor
I'm already a nuclear engineer so I would probably start collaborating with my peers to find a well-shielded area that still has some resources that we can manage and try to sustain. You'd honestly be pretty alright in the basement of most hospitals due to the thick concrete walls that often surround therapy machines + the levels of security there. It would save me a lot of money not having to build anything myself tbh. Also, my current research lends well into radiation detection and measurement, so I'd likely be able to observe lower-to-middle energy sources (max approx 5 MeV?) in case I'd need to go out into the Nuclear winter for whatever reason.

The biggest issue would be access to clean water tbh, since that's going to likely be come contaminated with alpha particles, among others, that would be severely dangerous to drink. Ideally I'd spend a lot of my money to research and develop an in-house water treatment device that would be able to recycle and filter water pretty easily. The thing about research is that it takes a lot longer than you'd think, and 2 years really isn't a ton of time to make anything truly novel without building upon prior research.

If I had 2 million dollars and 2 years to do this, it would essentially be no different than doing a PhD project, just with a really serious and hard deadline. AKA nothing new here.

i would buy 2 million dollars' worth of nuclear weapons and rain death upon america. yanks: owned.
2 Million dollars worth of nuclear weapons is more than likely a single moderately impactful Plutonium warhead that would honestly do jack shit in the grand scheme of things. Good try though!

Albatross

Loosely Resembling Some Variety Of Bird
is a Top Artistis a Community Contributor
I think I would purchase a maid cafe and convert it into a stripper bar. In the current maid stripper market I believe it would have a viable niche and would generate a lot of revenue. Maybe franchise out, get a chain going, who knows? And then overdose on booze and strippers and die a year before the bombs drop, idk

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)