Yveltal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion

Name: Yveltal
Type: Dark/Flying
Ability: Dark Aura (increases the power of Dark-type attacks by 33%)
Base Stats: 126/131/95/131/98/99
Stats confirmed

General Description:

In comes all the old Ubers and Yveltal is just waiting to snack on them. Its typing becomes an even bigger blessing with many Ubers being weak to Dark, allowing it to wreak havoc with Sucker Punch, Foul Play, and Dark Pulse. Yveltal's Ghost resistance shines even brighter with Ghost Arceus possibly running enemies down due to the Steel-type nerfs. Perhaps one of the most important highlights of Pokebank Yveltal is that its 99 base Speed allows it to outrun the numerous base 90 Ubers, as well as Rayquaza and the Kyurems.

Level-Up Movepool
Lv<50 - Hurricane
Lv<50 - Razor Wind
Lv<50 - Taunt
Lv<50 - Roost
Lv<50 - Double Team
Lv<50 - Air Slash
Lv<50 - Snarl
Lv<50 - Oblivion Wing
Lv<50 - Disable
Lv<50 - Dark Pulse
Lv51 - Foul Play
Lv55 - Phantom Force
Lv59 - Psychic
Lv63 - Dragon Rush
Lv72 - Focus Blast
Lv80 - Sucker Punch
Lv88 - Hyper Beam
Lv93 - Sky Attack

TM & HM Compatibility
TM01 Hone Claws
TM02 Dragon Claw
TM06 Toxic
TM10 Hidden Power
TM11 Sunny Day
TM12 Taunt
TM15 Hyper Beam
TM17 Protect
TM18 Rain Dance
TM19 Roost
TM21 Frustration
TM27 Return
TM29 Psychic
TM30 Shadow Ball
TM32 Double Team
TM40 Aerial Ace
TM41 Torment
TM42 Facade
TM44 Rest
TM48 Round
TM46 Thief
TM51 Steel Wing
TM52 Focus Blast
TM58 Sky Drop
TM62 Acrobatics
TM63 Embargo
TM65 Shadow Claw
TM68 Giga Impact
TM80 Rock Slide
TM85 Dream Eater
TM87 Swagger
TM88 Sleep Talk
TM89 U-turn
TM90 Substitute
TM95 Snarl
TM97 Dark Pulse
TM100 Confide
HM01 Cut
HM02 Fly

Last edited:
I've been using a Sub Disable on Showdown and it's been working pretty well.

Yveltal @ Leftovers
Ability: Dark Aura
EVs: 48 HP / 236 SAtk / 224 Spd
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Disable
- Dark Pulse
- Oblivion Wing

The Speed EVs with a Timid Nature lets it outspeed Jolly Rayquaza while the HP EVs give it 405 HP for 101 HP Subs that don't use up a quarter of its health. The rest is put into SpAtk for increased damage. Substitute is great for easing prediction and its two STABs give it perfect neutral coverage against everything but Tyranitar, Bisharp, Carbink, Mawile, Klefki, and Dedenne and I haven't seen many of any of them so far. Oblivion Wing is probably the best part of the set because it functions as both an attacking move as well as a psuedo Roost. Anything that doesn't resist it will take a good chunk of damage and Yveltal will at least be able to heal off the HP it used for Substitute.

Disable actually hasn't been working as well as I'd hoped, since many Ubers are faster than Yveltal and the slower ones it can wall (like SD Aegislash) are easier to simply kill outright. I might try replacing it with Focus Blast or something like Toxic so it can stall out bulky Pokemon like CM Arceus.

Focus blast is a staple on an offensive set.
Yveltal@Life Orb
Evs: 252 SAtk/252 Spd/4 HP
Timid Nature
-Dark Pulse
-Oblivion Wing
-Focus Blast
-Roost/ Substitute

Yveltal is an extremely good counter to Mewtwo! I've been using:
Yveltal @ Flying Gem
EV's: 4 HP, 252 Atk, 252 Speed
Adamant Nature
-Sucker Punch
-Taunt
-Acrobatics
-U-turn
Also good for countering Aegislash, Lugia, and Giratina.

Jibaku

is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Keep in mind Flying Gem hasnt been found yet, and with Pokebank not allowing item transfer, we might not have it for a while

/me shrug

Keep in mind Flying Gem hasnt been found yet, and with Pokebank not allowing item transfer, we might not have it for a while

/me shrug
That stinks. :/ I guess people playing the real game or non-Pokebank Ubers could settle for a berry or replacing Acrobatics with Steel Wing, Aerial Ace, Dragon Claw, or Rock Slide and having Leftovers/Life Orb until December 27th.

That stinks. :/ I guess people playing the real game or non-Pokebank Ubers could settle for a berry or replacing Acrobatics with Steel Wing, Aerial Ace, Dragon Claw, or Rock Slide and having Leftovers/Life Orb until December 27th.
You'd probably be better off with univested Oblivion Wing than Aerial Ace. The heal's nice for the LO recoil and SR damage.

Oh and even come December 27th, we won't have access to Flying Gem, since Pokebank doesn't allow item transfer.

This could also work:

Yveltal @ Life Orb
Modest
252Hp 252SpA 4Spe
Oblivion Wing
Dark Pulse
Focus Blast
Sub/Taunt/U-turn

Still outspeeding standard Groudon, SpD Kyogre, any Giratina and uninvested Ho-oh, this spred give the bird a nice overall bulk. Oblivion wing being the move of choise cause of nice damage output and great recovery.

Have none of you thought of using a Big Root for Oblivion Wing yet?
Yveltal @ Big Root
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 Atk
Hasty Nature
- Oblivion Wing
- Dark Pulse
- Psychic
- U-turn

With the amount of high-HP Pokemon in Ubers, this set heals back 100% of damage dealt with Oblivion Wing, and anything that resists it will take heavy damage from Dark Pulse

Have none of you thought of using a Big Root for Oblivion Wing yet?
Yveltal @ Big Root
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 Atk
Hasty Nature
- Oblivion Wing
- Dark Pulse
- Psychic
- U-turn

With the amount of high-HP Pokemon in Ubers, this set heals back 100% of damage dealt with Oblivion Wing, and anything that resists it will take heavy damage from Dark Pulse
If you are going to focus on Oblivion Wing's healing, then I would recommend going for a bulkier set (which is quite viable, given Yveltal's 126 Base HP). It doesn't need full speed investment to outrun Base 90s, after all. Also, keep in mind that by running a Big Root, you're relying on recovery from a damaging move with a max of 8 16 (derp) PP, and have no passive recovery. Lastly, there are better damaging options (i.e. Focus Blast, some Hidden Powers) for the 3rd move-slot than Psychic, since Oblivion Wing already hits fighting types for heavy damage, and poison is incredibly rare, even with the buff.

Last edited:

Jibaku

Really wouldn't recommend Big Root because the only thing it does is increase the healing from Oblivion Wing. You know what else increases Oblivion Wing's healing? More damage. If you go Sharp Beak you deal 20% more damage and therefore heal 20% than an "unboosted" Oblivion Wing. If you go Life Orb you deal 30% more damage and therefore heal 30% more (though w/ 10% recoil). Lastly, if you go Choice Specs....well you get the idea.

Copying this over from the "is my IV and Nature Good" thread, the Yveltal I decided on (and am thinking about running) came from another poster's suggestion in the Uncharted Territory Yveltal thread. I don't see it here, however, so I'll post for discussion.

Basically the idea is Yveltal as a mixed attacker and a -SpD nature. The lack of SpD is then patched up with an Assault Vest.

So,

Yveltal @ Assault Vest
Nature: Rash
EVs: 32 Atk / 252 SpA / 224 Spe
- Sucker Punch
- U-Turn
- Oblivion Wing
- Dark Pulse

This might work as a bulky set:

Yveltal @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Roost
- Snarl
- Substitute / Foul Play
- Disable / Torment

Snarl cripples Special sweepers, and with Dark Aura and STAB it can actually do quite the damage, Roost for some reliable recovery, and then the last 2 moves slots depend on your team or on you. Sub + Disable or Sub + Torment or Foul Play + Torment, this first two cripple Choice users completely, Foul Play is nice though, if you think your 252 HP / 252 +Def aren't enough you can totally cripple physical sweepers with it. This has the potential to be the best stall set IMO, but because this is a stall/wall set, any wall is unaffected by this (Unless it's a physical wall)

Copying this over from the "is my IV and Nature Good" thread, the Yveltal I decided on (and am thinking about running) came from another poster's suggestion in the Uncharted Territory Yveltal thread. I don't see it here, however, so I'll post for discussion.

Basically the idea is Yveltal as a mixed attacker and a -SpD nature. The lack of SpD is then patched up with an Assault Vest.

So,

Yveltal @ Assault Vest
Nature: Rash
EVs: 32 Atk / 252 SpA / 224 Spe
- Sucker Punch
- U-Turn
- Oblivion Wing
- Dark Pulse
It's a nice idea, but the item isn't being used here to it's maximum potential. Yveltal has almost no physical bulk in this set either -- I'm not sure why you wouldn't run HP with Assault Vest.

I've been using a Sub Disable on Showdown and it's been working pretty well.

Yveltal @ Leftovers
EVs: 48 HP / 236 SAtk / 224 Spd
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Disable
- Dark Pulse
- Oblivion Wing

The Speed EVs with a Timid Nature lets it outspeed Jolly Rayquaza while the HP EVs give it 405 HP for 101 HP Subs that don't use up a quarter of its health. The rest is put into SpAtk for increased damage. Substitute is great for easing prediction and its two STABs give it perfect neutral coverage against everything but Tyranitar, Bisharp, Carbink, Mawile, Klefki, and Dedenne and I haven't seen many of any of them so far. Oblivion Wing is probably the best part of the set because it functions as both an attacking move as well as a psuedo Roost. Anything that doesn't resist it will take a good chunk of damage and Yveltal will at least be able to heal off the HP it used for Substitute.

Disable actually hasn't been working as well as I'd hoped, since many Ubers are faster than Yveltal and the slower ones it can wall (like SD Aegislash) are easier to simply kill outright. I might try replacing it with Focus Blast or something like Toxic so it can stall out bulky Pokemon like CM Arceus.
Have you tried Foul Play in place of Dark Pulse? Offers a physical dark move without needing to invest in attack.

Was wondering about the possibility of a Hone Claws set. How would it work? What would be good teammates?

Yveltal @ Leftovers
Trait: Dark Aura
EVs: 252 HP/88 Atk/168 SAtk
Mild/Rash Nature
-Hone Claws
-Sucker Punch
-Hurricane/Oblivion Wing
-Focus Blast

Once I get my Hasty Yveltal, gonna start building a Weakness Policy Set to clean house.

Yveltal (Weakness Policy)
Hasty Nature
Oblivion Wing
Focus Blast
Sucker Punch
Steel Wing

252 in Speed. Mix the rest in HP, Attack, and SpA, or Max HP, and put 4 in Attack, depending on what is needed to guarentee surviving a SE attack.

With this Set, it should be bulky enough, even with a - Defense Nature, to survive ANY SE attack, and activating Weakness policy. After that, a +2 Oblivion Wing should heal most if not all the damage you took, and KOing many pokemon. After that, just sit back and obiliterate everything with +2 STAB Dark Aura Sucker Punch. Steel wing is there for Fairy Arcus and Xerneas. Focus Blast Is just there to round out, though Sucker Punch will probably do just as much or more damage unless they are 4x SE to fighting. Heal with Oblivion Wing when needed.

Once I get my Hasty Yveltal, gonna start building a Weakness Policy Set to clean house.

Yveltal (Weakness Policy)
Hasty Nature
Oblivion Wing
Focus Blast
Sucker Punch
Steel Wing

252 in Speed. Mix the rest in HP, Attack, and SpA, or Max HP, and put 4 in Attack, depending on what is needed to guarentee surviving a SE attack.

With this Set, it should be bulky enough, even with a - Defense Nature, to survive ANY SE attack, and activating Weakness policy. After that, a +2 Oblivion Wing should heal most if not all the damage you took, and KOing many pokemon. After that, just sit back and obiliterate everything with +2 STAB Dark Aura Sucker Punch. Steel wing is there for Fairy Arcus and Xerneas. Focus Blast Is just there to round out, though Sucker Punch will probably do just as much or more damage unless they are 4x SE to fighting. Heal with Oblivion Wing when needed.
For speed, I think the best idea is to invest enough to outspeed + speed 95's, and just like that, you've more ev's to work with.
Though I'm not sure how well Yveltal is at surviving SE attacks in general, assuming they don't outright OHKO him, the opponent is more than likely to have ESpeed, or Bullet Punch to clean up Yveltal.
This isn't even considering if you were forced to switch in on rocks, which hurts its survivability even more.

For speed, I think the best idea is to invest enough to outspeed + speed 95's, and just like that, you've more ev's to work with.
Though I'm not sure how well Yveltal is at surviving SE attacks in general, assuming they don't outright OHKO him, the opponent is more than likely to have ESpeed, or Bullet Punch to clean up Yveltal.
This isn't even considering if you were forced to switch in on rocks, which hurts its survivability even more.
Well, once I figure out how much EB's that is, should be good.

And I don't play Ubers too much, but is stealth rock that common? I though in Ubers it was hit hard and fast all the time.

As for E-Speed, a +2 Oblevion wing SHOULD heal him enough to survive an E-speed I would imagine... maybe not a choice e-speed though. And wouldn't his High SpD let him survive most SE Attacks? He does have pretty nice Bulk, maybe STAB SE attacks are the main things he needs to worry about, probably mainly from the Electric/Dragon. And with them, you can REALLY hurt them with a STAB, Aura Sucker Punch.

Again, I am a bit of a n00b when it comes to Ubers, so just shooting ideas out.

Well, once I figure out how much EB's that is, should be good.

And I don't play Ubers too much, but is stealth rock that common? I though in Ubers it was hit hard and fast all the time.

As for E-Speed, a +2 Oblevion wing SHOULD heal him enough to survive an E-speed I would imagine... maybe not a choice e-speed though. And wouldn't his High SpD let him survive most SE Attacks? He does have pretty nice Bulk, maybe STAB SE attacks are the main things he needs to worry about, probably mainly from the Electric/Dragon. And with them, you can REALLY hurt them with a STAB, Aura Sucker Punch.

Again, I am a bit of a n00b when it comes to Ubers, so just shooting ideas out.
Stealth Rock is about as abundant as any other main tier.

Arceus' unboosted E-Speed cannot OHKO very many Pokemon, and an Oblivion Wing-healed-Yveltal is not likely to be one of the few (although it really depends what you hit with the move).

126/98 Special bulk is, although certainly reasonable, generally not sufficient to take the Super-Effective hits of the behemoths in the tier (at least, not consistently, especially without significant investment). (Edit: Basically means either invest defensively and use Roost over Oblivion Wing or do and AV Set).

Last edited:
Stealth Rock is about as abundant as any other main tier.

Arceus' unboosted E-Speed cannot OHKO very many Pokemon, and an Oblivion Wing-healed-Yveltal is not liekly to be one of the few (although it really depends what you hit with the move).

126/98 Special bulk is, although certainly reasonable, generally not sufficient to take the Super-Effective hits of the behemoths in the tier (at least, not consistently, especially without significant investment).
Ah. makes sense, but wasn't sure who you would use in ubers to lay rocks before they are murdered.

I thought it wouldn't.

I see. I guess I was underestimating the teir. What sort of investments do you think would be needed, while keeping EV's in speed to keep him alive?

I see. I guess I was underestimating the teir. What sort of investments do you think would be needed, while keeping EV's in speed to keep him alive?
*bulk in place for speed. Don't get me wrong: with the right EV spread and perhaps Sucker Punch to get past faster Pokemon like Scarfers, Weakness Policy is a reasonable item on it. However, I just feel that it gambles on too much (surviving a hit, getting the super effective hit to begin with, overpowering certain Pokemon w/ and w/out the boost, etc.) Life Orb just feels more consistent to me if power is really desired. In the end, testing is needed.

Should more defensive variants focus on the defense stats and leave HP uninvested to grab the most recovery from OW?

if you want the most recovery with Oblivion Wing, then you should be focusing on offensive an variant as more damage>more healing. Defensive variants should use Roost for recover instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)