ORAS OU Zard-X + Scolipede - Interchangeable Sweepers

Which version of the team worked better during your testing?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Hey everyone! This is my first post here, and my first attempt at a RMT. I'll be going over my personal favourite creation, a team built around Scolipede as the main sweeper. However, if you'd prefer to use Charizard-X as the main sweeper, the movesets can be changed to favour Charizard's power. In short, this team can show either Scolipede's or Charizard-X's power, because the supporting mons work in both situations.

This is the core I wanted to build around after seeing it here on Smogon. Bulky WoW Zard-X baits common checks and counters, and proceeds to burn them, except for Heatran. Scolipede takes advantage of the burns as he has more chances to switch in safely. Scolipede can pass Speed boosts to Charizard if Baton Pass is used.

I needed a Stealth Rock setter and a Flying check, so I decided to use Hippowdon. It's able to set up Stealth Rock, tank a couple of hits and phaze the opponent with Whirlwind.

I decided to have a hazard stacking core, and Ferrothorn seemed like the best choice. It also helps at weakening physical attackers to help the sweepers, which is a great thing.

Next, I needed hazard removal, because the main sweepers have a crippling Stealth Rock weakness. Starmie fits this role perfectly, and also creates a FWG core with Charizard and Ferrothorn.

Lastly, Magic Guard Calm Mind Clefable wraps up the team by providing a Dragon immunity, a way to deal with dark-types, absorving status and acting as a bulky wincon if needed.

The Sets:

Scolipede (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Poison Jab
- Megahorn
- Earthquake/ Baton Pass
- Protect/ Baton Pass

Scolipede is the first mon I'll be talking about. Poison Jab and Megahorn are the mandatory dual STAB combo on this offensive Scolipede set. Earthquake is used to hit Heatran, who is a huge threat to this team. Protect is used to get a guaranteed speed boost, and can be used to play around HJK. If Charizard-X is to be used as the main sweeper, you can run Baton Pass over Earthquake or Protect, depending on which you'd rather give up on.

Charizard (M) @ Charizardite X
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 248 HP / 100 Def / 160 Spe
Impish Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Dragon Claw
- Flare Blitz
- Roost

Bulky WoW Zard-X is the next mon on the team. Will-O-Wisp burns common Charizard-X checks and counters on the switch. Dragon Claw and Flare Blitz are the incredibly dangerous dual STAB combo that is used in every Zard-X moveset. Roost is prefered on the last slot, as it provides some much needed recovery. However, one can run DD if Charizard is used as the main sweeper. In that case, the standard Offensive spread ( 252 Atk, 4 Def, 252 Spe, Jolly Nature.) is recommended. SD is also a viable choice if you wish to use Baton Pass on Scolipede. Again, with SD, you want a different spread. (40 HP / 252 Atk / 216 Spe, Adamant Nature.)

Hippowdon (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 144 Def / 112 SpD
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Slack Off
- Whirlwind/ Toxic

Up next, we have the standard Mixed Wall Hippowdon. Earthquake is a hard hitting STAB that does some damage, even without investment. Stealth Rock helps Scolipede and Charizard nab some KO's they wouldn't get otherwise, and gets some good chip damage that can tip the scales in your favour. Slack Off is a great recovery move which allows Hippowdon to take more hits before falling. Whirlwind helps Hippowdon take advantage of the Stealth Rocks it sets up, and helps a ton against set-up sweepers. Toxic can be run for the same effect, although I prefer Whirlwind because it can hit some mons harder than toxic (eg: Talonflame), goes through Substitute, and is very effective if Stealth Rock + Spikes are on the field.

Ferrothorn (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Gyro Ball
- Power Whip/ Protect

Ferrothorn forms a hazard stacking core with Hippowdon, and helps us deal with physical attackers like Scizor. Spikes are needed to form the hazard stacking core, and this thing finds plently of opportunities to set them on the battlefield. Leech Seed gives us some more recovery, which is mandatory on Ferrothorn due to the lack of a reliable recovery like Recover or Slack Off. It also helps getting some damage in. Gyro Ball takes advantage of Ferrothorn's terrible speed by dealing tons of damage to faster mons. Power Whip hits water types super effectively, and can also get some good damage on a switch, as long as the opponent doesn't resist it. Protect can be run over Power Whip, as it helps get some health back with Leftovers + Leech Seed.

Starmie @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Rapid Spin
- Recover
- Psyshock/ Reflect Type

Next up, Starmie. I decided to run Starmie due to the main sweeper core being weak to Stealth Rock, and Starmie's Water type forms a FWG core with Charizard and Ferrothorn. Scald is our main STAB that does decent damage, even with only 4 EVs invested. It also has a good chance to burn the opposing mon, and, as said many times in this RMT, that's a great thing. Rapid Spin is needed to get rid of those pesky hazards that Charizard and Scolipede hate. Recover gives us reliable recovery. However, Starmie can't take many hits, so it should use Recover on a predicted switch. Psyshock is our psychic STAB of choice, as it hits Keldeo and Poison-types very hard, even with little to no investment. However, Reflect type can be used to make Starmie a more reliable spinner, and allows it to avoid getting destroyed by Pursuit users, Charizard-Y and Magnezone.

Clefable (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 248 HP / 216 Def / 44 SpD
Calm Nature
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled
- Thunder Wave

Last but not least, Clefable is our 6th mon, and our best way to win if Charizard and Scolipede fail. Magic Guard allows us to switch into hazards and most status moves freely. Calm Mind allows Clefable to take special hits, and deal some serious damage with its STAB Moonblast. Soft-Boiled provides some needed recovery on Clefable, as it's defenses aren't the best. Thunder Wave gives the team some speed control, which can help Charizard-X if it's running the Bulky WoW set, and also helps Clefable itself, due to its speed being lackluster. The given EV spread of 248 HP / 216 Def allows Clefable to Switch in on Jolly Medicham, if it's missing Zen Headbutt.

252 Atk Pure Power Mega Medicham High Jump Kick vs. 248 HP / 216 Def Clefable: 177-208 (45 - 52.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Pure Power Mega Medicham Bullet Punch vs. 248 HP / 216 Def Clefable: 146-174 (37.1 - 44.2%) -- 99.9% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 Atk Pure Power Mega Medicham Zen Headbutt vs. 248 HP / 216 Def Clefable: 219-258 (55.7 - 65.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Threats:

Gengar:
My best switch in to this thing is Hippowdon, and that can't do anything back other than phaze it out. And if I don't scout out for Icy Wind before sending him in, I can still lose. After a boost, Scolipede outspeeds, but doesn't KO. However, Gengar has a 37.5% chance to OHKO Scolipede.

252+ Atk Life Orb Scolipede Megahorn vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Gengar: 87-103 (33.5 - 39.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

252 SpA Life Orb Gengar Shadow Ball vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Scolipede: 231-273 (89.1 - 105.4%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO

Hazards: Yes, I have Starmie for this, but if I can't remove them before I need Charizard or Scolipede to come in, that cuts their HP and sweeping potential by a ton. My best mon in these situations is Clef.

Strong priority users/ Revenge killers: Mostly because of Scolipede. No matter how many speed boosts you have, you're gonna get destroyed by anything with Super Effective priority. After you lose Scolipede, the game gets much harder for you if you're using it as your main sweeper.

Charizard (M) @ Charizardite X
EVs: 248 HP / 100 Def / 160 Spe
Impish Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Roost
- Dragon Claw
- Flare Blitz

Scolipede (M) @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- Protect
- Poison Jab
- Megahorn
- Earthquake

Relaxed Nature
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Gyro Ball
- Power Whip/ Protect

Starmie @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Rapid Spin
- Recover
- Psyshock/ Reflect Type

Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Slack Off
- Whirlwind/ Toxic

Clefable (F) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 172 Def / 84 SpD
Calm Nature
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled
- Thunder Wave

Charizard @ Charizardite X
EVs: (252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe) / (40 HP / 252 Atk / 216 Spe)
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance/ Swords Dance
- Flare Blitz
- Dragon Claw
- Roost

Scolipede (M) @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- Poison Jab
- Megahorn
- Earthquake/ Protect
- Baton Pass/ Protect

Relaxed Nature
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Gyro Ball
- Power Whip/ Protect

Starmie @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Rapid Spin
- Recover
- Psyshock/ Reflect Type

Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Slack Off
- Whirlwind/ Toxic

Clefable (F) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 172 Def / 84 SpD
Calm Nature
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled
- Thunder Wave

I sadly have not obtained replays while playing with this team, as I wasn't considering making a RMT until recently. I'll add any good replays I can get soon.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)