SS OU Zarude+Rotom Fan+Sand OU

"Preface"
Back on here for round 2 of a RMT thread, and wanted to see what people thought of this Zarude team.

I heard discussions that Zarude will most likely be left behind for UU, and I don't agree. Since I don't agree, might as well try to make it work in OU. It genuinely has a solid niche in the OU meta. I'm hesitant to say it should be placed in OU, so I'll say it should be in UUBL. It has a speed tier of 339 with a Jolly nature, meaning it can completely counter all Urshifu forms, and OHKO with Close Combat, or Power Whip for Rapid-Strike Urshifu. I decided to give this mon a shot and see what it was all about. In the "pre-home" meta I ran solely Hyper Offense with a lot of success, but wanted to try a more Balanced Offensive approach. When I say "target list" what I mean is the mons I generally prioritize damage on, or will take on 1v1. With that said here's the team and thanks for reading! All input is welcome!​
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Building Process

Zarude | Pokemon Wack Wiki | Fandom
Hmmm Mmmm GIF - Hmmm Mmmm Monkey - Discover & Share GIFs

Zarude: When I saw this added, I really wanted to try it. The ability is pretty useless, but the stats really shine. Like I said above, 339 speed is very nice for this current meta, mixed with U-Turn and Close Combat coverage. Dual STAB in Darkest Lariat + Power Whip. It mainly struggles with Zeraora. It cant live a Close Combat and OHKO with Power Whip, but it's not a match up worth taking most of the time. Zarude's biggest weakness as a mon is no access to priority in Sucker Punch or Knock Off which is a real shame.

1597764339550.png
+
Dragapult's pixel sprite looks high as Reverse World ...

Dragapult: Zarude gets absolutely maimed by Volcarona, I needed something that could switch in, and threaten. Dragapult's purpose is to keep a solid form of speed control, and threaten with Dragon Darts. It can also set up with Dragon Dance, if given the opportunity. I'm not a huge fan of Hex, as it never really gets fully utilized with Mandibuzz being everywhere. Wisp was nice to status other mons, but I never really found myself using it, as whenever a physically offensive threat came in, it could OHKO or cripple Dragapult. Crawdaunt, Urshifu, Knock Off Zeraora, Sand Rush Excadrill, Clefable were all common switch ins, and Wisp just isn't worth it. The team also desperately needed some form of out of sand speed control.

1597764764622.png
+
1597764761138.png
+
Rotom sprites gallery | Pokémon Database

Rotom-Fan: Since Mandibuzz/Corviknight are a problem for Zarude and Dragapult, I wanted to add something that could either threaten them, or gain momentum. Rotom-Fan can set up a Nasty Plot to force them out, then put down some serious work onto anything that wants to take a +2 Volt Switch or Air Slash. Amoonguss can be an issue for Zarude, so having a way to reliably counter it is helpful. Rotom is also my Defogger for the team. The other reason for this addition is another way to check Aqua Jet abusers, since Rotom-Fan resists and can force them out with Volt Switch.

1597765055639.png
+
1597765050340.png
+
+
Clefable sprites gallery | Pokémon Database

Clefable: Another defensive pivot to help threaten Mandibuzz out with Moonblast. Urshifu is everywhere, and Rotom-Fan tends to invite in Urshifu. Clefable was mainly added so that Urshifu doesn't walk all over this team, as Zarude doesn't appreciate Close Combat. Dragapult hates Wicked Blow/Sucker Punch. Essentially, all of my offensive mons hate Urshifu, and I needed a way to answer that. I also need a Fairy to take potential Dragon type attacks from other Dragons that would threaten Dragapult.

1597765837160.png
+
1597765829863.png
+
+
1597765805631.png
+
Hippowdon sprites gallery | Pokémon Database

Hippowdon:
This team needed a Stealth Rocker, and I wanted to build a Sand Core. I also needed something bulky to spread Toxic, and reliably take lots of physical punishment. It really struggle against Rillaboom, but U-Turn from Zarude can put it into range of Volt-Switch from Rotom-Fan. Rotom-Fan can also force it out with Air Slash.

1597765837160.png
+
1597765829863.png
+
+
1597765805631.png
+
+
Excadrill sprites gallery | Pokémon Database

Excadrill: Finally we have Excadrill. I wanted to build a sand core with Hippowdon, and there is no other option. Excadrill serves as the late game sweeper, or as a way to handle opposing Clefable/Zeraora that would otherwise give Zarude/Dragapult a harder time. Excadrill has really come in clutch during certain games, as once offensive checks to Excadrill are taken care of, this mon can solo the remainder of the team. The team is fast enough, but I wanted a much more reliable form of speed control for Zeraora. Zarude also hates Fairies, and Excadrill's Iron head can really help clear a path for Zarude.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Sauce

1597766893124.png
Choice Band - Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia

Zarude @ Choice Band
Ability: Leaf Guard
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Power Whip
- Darkest Lariat
- Close Combat

Max Attack, Max Speed Jolly to completely counter Urshifu, and to seriously hurt Rillaboom with U-Turn (69.2 - 81.5%). Once Zarude U-Turns out on Rillaboom, the opponent is forced to be very careful with Rillaboom, as it will die to Rotom, Clefable, Dragapult, and Zarude. Choice Band is here to max out the attacking potential to ensure that Zarude can deliver maximum pain. The 4x weakness to Bug makes U-Turn a very unpleasant thing to face down. Close Combat OHKOs Magnezone, and can seriously hurt Ferrothorn in the process (62.5 - 73.8% -- guaranteed 2HKO). Zarude's main purpose is to be a fast offensive check to the mons that threaten Hippowdon and Excadrill, and it really does the job very well.
The target list for Zarude is: Azumarill, Crawdaunt, Rillaboom, Hippowdon, Magnezone, Ferrothorn, Slowbro, Toxapex, Porygon-Z, Blissey

1597765829863.png
Life Orb HD | Chicago cubs logo, Sport team logos, Chicago cubs

Dragapult @ Life Orb
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Darts
- Steel Wing
- U-turn

I'm forgoing the commom mixed Hex+Wisp set since like I said before, Dragapult doesn't get many chances to properly use Wisp. I would rather put down as much damage as possible since this is my way to come in on Aqua Jet, and threaten with Dragon Darts. Setting up a Dragon Dance (if I'm lucky enough) will make Volcarona completely obsolete as it is OHKO'd and out-sped. Steel Wing is here to help cripple Fairy switch ins, then U-Turn for momentum. Like I said before, this team needed some form of non-sand rush speed control.
The target list for Dragapult is: Crawdaunt, Rillaboom, Volcarona, Alakazam, Alolan-Ninetails
Men's or Women's Black Premium Leather Heavy Duty Boots, Style 997 ...

Rotom-Fan@ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Nasty Plot
- Air Slash
- Volt Switch
- Defog

The weirder the choice, the better it is in my opinion. I chose Rotom-Fan over Rotom-Heat because I wanted to both pressure Rillaboom, AND not be annihilated by Aqua Jet spam. Air Slash completely chunks Rillaboom (66.8 - 79.1%), and Rotom-Fan resists both Grassy Glide + Drain Punch. I also didn't like how much of a problem Mold Breaker Excadrill was for Rotom-Heat. Now that I have a real immunity to Earthquake, it doesn't matter anymore.
The target list for Rotom-Fan is: Crawdaunt, Rillaboom, Azumarill, Ferrothorn, Toxapex, Togekiss, Mandibuzz, Corviknight, Amoonguss, Tangrwoth
Clefable sprites gallery | Pokémon Database
vp/ - Pokémon » Thread #38452804

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Knock Off
- Flamethrower
- Soft-Boiled

Defensive Pivot Clefable. It is here to be my answer to Urshifu Wicked Blow/Close Combat spam. It is also my answer to Scarf Hydreigon as that mon can be problematic for Daragpult's success. Knock Off for removing recovery items from opposing Clefable or defensive walls. Flamethrower to ensure no Steel type can come in for free, and Soft Boiled for longevity.
The target list for Clefable is: Ferrothorn, Rillaboom, Mandibuzz, Corviknight, Clefable, Rotom-Heat, Scizor, Hydreigon, Urshifu, Tangrowth, Hawlucha
1597777399913.png

Hippowdon @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Slack Off
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic

My sand setter and another defensive wall. It is here to spread Toxic onto opposing walls, and set up Stealth Rocks. Toxic > Whirlwind since setting walls or offensive threats on a timer is more useful than phasing. Water types give Hippowdon many issues, but the combination of Rotom-Fan and Zarude make up for that weakness. It's a standard OU defensive support Hippowdon set, so not much more to add. Set up Rocks, set up sand, Toxic everything, Earthquake opposing walls.
The target list for Hippowdon is: Blissey/Chansey, Mandibuzz, Excadrill
Excadrill sprites gallery | Pokémon Database
1597777409437.png

Excadrill @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Swords Dance

Finally Excadrill. The late game sweeper, and Zeraora counter when under sand. With ludicrous power and speed, Excadrill can put some serious pain onto the opposing team. Aqua Jet and Rillaboom are completely ruin all this mon's potential, but Rotom-Fan, Dragapult, and Zarude can help keep Excadrill safe to sweep. I chose Leftovers because I wanted to keep Excadrill as healthy as possible since Excadrill will be coming in, and out very often. The more health, the more time Excadrill can play in the sand. Life Orb has a nice bonus in power, but Swords Dance is more than enough, and the recoil hurts too much. Rapid spin to primarily help get additional "pinch" speed. What I mean by pinch speed is using rapid spin on your opponent's switch out to hopefully out speed whoever they bring in next. Earthquake > High Horsepower because I do not use Excadrill under Grassy Terrain, and High Horsepower missing lost me a game.
The target list for Excadrill is: Blissey/Chansey, Clefable, Zeraora, Volcarona, Togekiss, Hatterene, Dragapult, Gengar

Threats
Rillaboom sprites gallery | Pokémon Database

Rillaboom is an absolute terror to this team. Priority STAB Grassy Glide shuts down my late game sweeper in Excadrill, and shuts down Hippowdon. I tried to build the team to completely shut down this mon in return. Grassy Terrain is very annoying for this team since Excadrill becomes neutered. Luckily U-Turn absolutely cripples this mon making it much less scary, and Rotom-Fan can completely stop it in its' tracks. Also, Rillaboom's design sucks.

Crawdaunt sprites gallery | Pokémon Database
+
Azumarill | Pokémon Wiki | Fandom

Aqua Jet from these 2 terrors is no joke. Not letting Azumarill set up a Belly Drum is priority number 1, but the awful Whirlpool+Perish Song set is becoming more common. Crawdaunt is difficult to deal with as Clefable will take major pain, and Dragapult can't stay in. Sometimes Rotom-Fan needs to lose boots to deal with Crawdaunt which is usually something I'm okay with if that means Excadrill has an easier time setting up. Zarude completely denies these mons, but they are often paired with Rillaboom, so Power Whip isn't always as free.

Urshifu Pokédex: stats, moves, evolution & locations | Pokémon ...
1597777445233.png
/
Choice Scarf - Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia

Wicked Blow, Close Combat, Iron Head, Sucker Punch/U-Turn. These are things this team does not appreciate. It's massive power and decent speed tier makes playing it around it a little challenging. Luckily Zarude out speeds, and OHKOs with Close Combat. Scarf is a lot less common, but much harder to deal with. Clefable and Rotom-Fan do better against it, but everyone else suffers when it comes to Scarf sets.

Torkoal sprites gallery | Pokémon Database
/
Pelipper sprites gallery | Pokémon Database

Weather just makes everything harder for Excadrill. Sun is much harder as Venusaur is an absolute menace to pretty much everyone with the exception of Rotom-Fan or Clefable (if it doesn't have Sludge Bomb). Rain is alright as Zarude can almost OHKO every rain abuser in the game, but Kingdra can be tricky. The strategy against these teams is just deny weather as much as possible, and make sure Hippowdon out lives their weather setter.​

End

Congratulations on making it down here! Thanks again for reading. An alternative I was looking into was replacing Clefable with a Defensive Togekiss to better work against Rillaboom and Venusaur.

Zarude is actually a very hard mon for opponents to play around as STAB Power Whip provides good support for Excadrill and Hippowdon. Its' biggest downfall is the 4x weakness to Bug, so U-Turn becomes much scarier to play against. I personally think it might be a little too strong for UU as the speed tier is really something else. I think Choice Band is the only viable way to use this mon, as the extra power truly makes it shine.

Open to any and all suggestions!

Team Paste: https://pokepast.es/c6fcbd52b249e2e3

Last edited:
Importable: https://pokepast.es/2ba92b1c11406037

This team is interesting, and Zarude is a cool pick. Personally I'm not a fan, because I think it can be dead weight in a lot of games (and it's basically worse Rillaboom), but it can put in work. Anyway, there are some changes that need to be made to fully realize this team's potential.

Major Changes
  • :ss/rotom-fan: -> :ss/mandibuzz:
    • Rotom-Fan is really not viable at all. Weird picks do actually have to be good. Rotom-Fan effectively has no ability, its STAB Combo is potentially the worst of the Rotom Formes because it doesn't get access to Hurricane and has to rely on Air Slash, which is dodgy at best (this is where the other Rotom Formes all get access to a 100+ Base Power STAB Move). While Flying + Electric is good coverage in theory, in practice it fails to make progress against prominent members of the tier—Zeraora, Magnezone, Excadrill, and Rotom-H all resist its STAB Combo—and it faces competition from Togekiss as a flying-type attacker.
    • I replaced it with Mandibuzz because physically defensive Mandibuzz ameliorates a lot of your matchup problems—Foul Play KOs +6 Azumarill after Belly Drum + Sitrus, it can take a hit from Crawdaunt and U-Turn into Zarude (although Zarude can also take several hits), it can take hits from Rillaboom and heavily chunk it with Foul Play, and it can take Wicked Blows from Urshifu if your Clef gets weakened.
Set Changes
  1. Made Dragapult mixed instead of DD
    1. Without Rotom-fan, the team is kinda mono-walled-by-Corviknight, so being able to Twave and Hex the Corvi is big.
    2. Dragon Darts KOs Volcarona, so this gives you some better counterplay to it.
  2. Made Clefable WishPort
    1. This is important in the context of the next change, but it gives your team a little bit more room to play aggressively.
  3. Made Excadrill LO
    1. I took Spin off Excadrill and made it LO. This Maximizes its breaking and sweeping potential, and makes sure you're not walled by Rotom-H, which is otherwise a big problem for your team.
  4. Made Zarude Adamant
    1. You don't really need the extra Speed, IMO. Feel free to change it back.
Let me know what you think.

Importable: https://pokepast.es/2ba92b1c11406037

This team is interesting, and Zarude is a cool pick. Personally I'm not a fan, because I think it can be dead weight in a lot of games (and it's basically worse Rillaboom), but it can put in work. Anyway, there are some changes that need to be made to fully realize this team's potential.

Major Changes
  • :ss/rotom-fan: -> :ss/mandibuzz:
    • Rotom-Fan is really not viable at all. Weird picks do actually have to be good. Rotom-Fan effectively has no ability, its STAB Combo is potentially the worst of the Rotom Formes because it doesn't get access to Hurricane and has to rely on Air Slash, which is dodgy at best (this is where the other Rotom Formes all get access to a 100+ Base Power STAB Move). While Flying + Electric is good coverage in theory, in practice it fails to make progress against prominent members of the tier—Zeraora, Magnezone, Excadrill, and Rotom-H all resist its STAB Combo—and it faces competition from Togekiss as a flying-type attacker.
    • I replaced it with Mandibuzz because physically defensive Mandibuzz ameliorates a lot of your matchup problems—Foul Play KOs +6 Azumarill after Belly Drum + Sitrus, it can take a hit from Crawdaunt and U-Turn into Zarude (although Zarude can also take several hits), it can take hits from Rillaboom and heavily chunk it with Foul Play, and it can take Wicked Blows from Urshifu if your Clef gets weakened.
Set Changes
  1. Made Dragapult mixed instead of DD
    1. Without Rotom-fan, the team is kinda mono-walled-by-Corviknight, so being able to Twave and Hex the Corvi is big.
    2. Dragon Darts KOs Volcarona, so this gives you some better counterplay to it.
  2. Made Clefable WishPort
    1. This is important in the context of the next change, but it gives your team a little bit more room to play aggressively.
  3. Made Excadrill LO
    1. I took Spin off Excadrill and made it LO. This Maximizes its breaking and sweeping potential, and makes sure you're not walled by Rotom-H, which is otherwise a big problem for your team.
  4. Made Zarude Adamant
    1. You don't really need the extra Speed, IMO. Feel free to change it back.
Let me know what you think.
I will agree Mandibuzz is definitely better; however, I wanted to use something much farther down in the tier list and try to make it viable. Rotom-Fan was actually able to fulfill the role I needed it to. Yes it has no ability which I think is hilarious, but Air Slash + Volt Switch are both able to shut down Rillaboom and Crawdaunt, which is what I needed. All the threats that Rotom-Fan can't handle, Excadrill can under sand. Mandibuzz is 100% better for this team, but I wanted to make something not all that viable for OU work to some capacity.

The Dragapult set is intriguing since Corviknight can be tricky to play around at times. I have been very torn on using Hex sets or not. Most of the time I tried to use them, it didn't work as well. T-Wave is better than Wisp, and I genuinely forgot that was an option. I think Mixed Dragapult can work, and I'll give this set a shot. For the Dragapult set, I'm thinking of running Dragon Fang > Boots to increase the power of Darts.

Clefable should not be wishport. Flamethrower is way too good as it is able to catch Scolipede, Scizor, Ferrothorn, Magnezone, and Rillaboom. Most people never scout for Flamethrower, and you can read those switch ins pretty easily. I've never needed wish support in any of the games I've played, and that set just isn't offensive enough. Losing out on Knock Off is also a really big blow in my opinion as it can remove Scarfers, Life Orb, Boots on any mon, or recovery items. Every team needs Knock Off, and Zarude doesn't have access to it for some reason.

LO Excadrill is another set I am not too sure of. Excadrill's base damage has never been an issue. Rock Slide > Rapid Spin is really debatable in my opinion, as Rapid Spinning to gain speed on a slow U-Turn from Mandibuzz has won me a few games. Call that a choke on the opponent's part, but the extra speed can come in very handy. Rock Slide ruins Rotom-Heat (58 - 68.6%) , but so does Adamant Dragon Darts (69.3 - 82.5%), or just removing Boots with Clefable. I'll consider switching Rapid Spin to Rock Slide, but most of the times Excadrill comes on the field with Sand, Rotom-Heat is already KO'd. Life Orb recoil is too much for the power increase as I need Excadrill to be able to take as many hits as possible before being KO'd, and lefties really helps mitigate that. The biggest threat is Sucker Punch Urshifu as that cleaves through Excadrill, and I need every last bit of health I can get for potential sweeping. As Dragapult is the only mon really "weak" to Hazards, removing Rapid Spin for Rock Slide makes sense.

Using Wishport Clefable in conjunction with Excadrill/Hippowdon is a great idea, but I feel that losing Knock Off/Flamethrower mixed with recoil damage is too much to take. I would rather keep the coverage options, then take extra damage and potential longevity.

Zarude unfortunately can't be Adamant as the team really needs a way to out speed Urshifu. A more Defensive Clefable mixed with Mandibuzz doesn't remove the threat, it just walls it. I needed something that can come in and win the 1v1. If Ushifu didn't exist, Adamant all day. The way I see it with the Urshifu and Dragapult match-up, is I would be forced to T-Wave every Urshifu encounter for Adamant to pay off. Using T-Wave into a Wicked Blow would be pretty bad as Dragapult is useful to some capacity in nearly every game. T-Waving into a potential Sucker Punch would be huge, but now it's a mind game of 50/50 odds, where with Jolly Zarude, it's 100% in my favor every encounter (unless they're scarf).

I think the suggestions here are all valid and it's really good input honestly! Thank you for the advice/changes, and thanks for taking some time to respond to this RMT. I really do enjoy hearing adjustments to teams as it forces me to see the team in a different light, and see new potential weaknesses or opportunities to make the team better. Thanks again!

Last edited:
i dont agree with lo pult if you want it to check volcarona. because volc can technically spam roost once then switch out. not even mentioning sand can possibly be up

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)