Project ZeroUsed Teambuilding Competition [Round 7: Gougeist+Golem, Building phase]

Sputnik

Bono My Tires are Deceased
is a Contributor Alumnus

Rain Featuring CB Swanna and SD Shiftry

Swanna @ Choice Band
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Liquidation
- Brave Bird
- Aqua Jet
- Defog

Shiftry @ Life Orb
Ability: Early Bird
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Sucker Punch
- Knock Off
- Seed Bomb

Relicanth @ Damp Rock
Ability: Sturdy
Jolly Nature
- Rain Dance
- Stealth Rock
- Head Smash
- Waterfall

Volbeat @ Damp Rock
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Rain Dance
- Roost
- U-turn
- Encore

Beartic @ Life Orb
Ability: Swift Swim
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Aqua Jet
- Superpower
- Icicle Crash

Golduck @ Waterium Z
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Surf
- Hidden Power [Electric]

Swanna
I don't normally use Swanna, so this was an interesting experiment for me. I decided to go with a Choice Band attacking set that would allow it to hit extremely hard with Liquidation under rain. It serves as a sort of wallbreaker that can hit extremely hard with STAB Liquidation under rain. Brave Bird is the obligatory Flying coverage, while Aqua Jet is for priority. Finally Defog is there mostly for filler, and is a good way of getting rid of Sticky Webs and Toxic Spikes, two things that almost completely ruin this team. I experimented with a Z Rain Dance set, but ultimately I wanted to use the Z Crystal on a different mon that in my opinion utilizes it better.

Shiftry
Swords Dance Shiftry is just ludicrously powerful. A Swords Dance boosted Knock Off was the main reason I chose this set, as I really needed something to Knock Eviolites off of a few certain pesky mons. (In particular Mareanie, who is probably this team's worst overall matchup. It's still workable, but it's difficult). Seed Bomb and Sucker Punch are also standard Shiftry fare. Rain also gives Shiftry the added bonus of having it's Fire Weakness removed, which is quite nice.

Relicanth
I needed something that could reliably set up Rain Dance and Rocks in the same slot. Relicanth was the answer, and a very good answer at that. Sturdy allows it to set up rain in the face of things that can OHKO it, and then it can unleash Rocks if it is still alive. This thing isn't a very good rain abuser on it's own (I tried it with Swift Swim, which did work, but it was ultimately too unreliable), so normally the next step is to Head Smash and use the recoil to faint itself in a sort of strange suicide lead. Admittedly an odd choice, but it does the job exceedingly well.

Volbeat
The other rain setter. Set up rain, use Encore to snag some free switches if the opponent has used the wrong move, and then slow U-Turn out. Roost lets it stay alive for as long as possible. Volbeat is pretty self explanatory, and it gets the job done.

Beartic
I love the four mons above, but I would be lying if I said that they didn't play more of a supportive role to the next two. These two mons are what tend to win me games, and for good reason. Swords Dance Beartic is one of the most terrifying weather sweepers ZU has to offer. A simple set of Swords Dance, Icicle Crash, Superpower, and Aqua Jet is all that this thing needs to scare the living daylights out of many offensive and defensive mons. It is outsped my many scarfers, but a Rain Boosted Aqua Jet is nothing to sneeze at. It likely won't kill the scarfers outright, but if they have taken chip before or are weak to Water they must be careful.

Golduck
Beartic is very good, but Golduck is undeniably the star of the show. Waterium Z Hydro Pump is just ludicrous under rain. I could give absurd calculations on this for a while, but my personal favorite thing that it does is OHKO Non-Eviolite Combusken through Protect, and it still has a chance to OHKO Eviolite Variants through Protect after Rocks. Suffice to say that I personally believe that this thing under rain is one of the Top 5 Scariest Pokemon in ZU period. Ice Beam and Hidden Power Electric give good coverage. Surf might seem redundant, but it is still plenty powerful under the Rain, and having a 100% accurate move to spam is incredibly nice.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7zu-902075987
Vs. Funbot28
This is a slightly older build of this team with a few differences (Relicanth having Swift Swim being the most notable one) but the team still operates the same. In case you were unconvinced on the sheer power of Golduck...well, here you go.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7zu-902489617
Vs. staticdpp
A match where Beartic puts in work, supported by Shiftry.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7zu-902336967
Vs. PKMNht
A standard game in which both Golduck and Beartic cleave through another team. Golduck also is shown to outspeed even the fastest scarfers under rain.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7zu-902339383
Vs. ZULT4B Fruits
Shiftry puts in some serious work here. In case you were doubting the power of SD Shiftry...well, here's your answer.

Weather is sort of a fringe, uncommon playstyle in ZU, but that doesn't mean it isn't effective. A lot of teams just can't stand up to the insane offensive pressure that this team provides. The stall matchup is admittedly a little tough, but with some good play it can be worked around, and any team that relies on outspeeding the opponent is in deep trouble. This is one of my personal favorite teams to use right now. Thanks for reading!

5gen

jumper
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Hey all, built this team a while back and it's still relatively solid in the current metagame.

Swanna @ Flyinium Z
Ability: Big Pecks
Jolly Nature
- Mirror Move
- Liquidation
- Brave Bird
- Aqua Jet

Shiftry @ Leftovers
Ability: Pickpocket
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Leaf Blade
- Synthesis
- Defog

Golem @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 16 Def / 236 SpD / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Toxic

Gourgeist-Super @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Frisk
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Impish Nature
- Synthesis
- Will-O-Wisp
- Leech Seed
- Foul Play

Muk @ Leftovers
Ability: Sticky Hold
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Curse
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Poison Jab

Silvally @ Choice Scarf
Ability: RKS System
Jolly Nature
- Double-Edge
- Explosion
- U-turn
- Crunch

Z-Mirror Move Swanna starts the team off and serves as the team's primary breaker. Z-MM takes advantage of typical checks such as Lickilicky and Silvally-Water and +2 priority comes clutch against Scarf Mr. Mime and Kadabra, two big threats to the team. Next up, I chose Defog+Synthesis Shiftry because of its ability to consistently check Bronzor and phys def Golem as well as having the ability to soft check Electivire throughout the course of a match. Swanna+Shiftry give the team an offensive outlet, so mixed defense Golem/Gourg-XL/Curse Muk come in to help form the defensive backbone. These Pokemon are fairly straightforward and I opted for mixed defense Golem because the team heavily relies on Muk to tank special attacks and having Golem be able to pivot into Chatot/Zeb/Scarf Mime is valued. Also, Gourgeist-XL is such a good blanket physical wall that Golem does not really mind losing the physical bulk. As of now the team needs some speed and revenge killing, and it lacks a Silvally, so I slap on Choice Scarf Silvally. In my opinion, Choice Scarf Silvally is one of the most consistent Scarfers in the tier when you can fit it. Checks important things such as opposing Swanna, Mr. Mime, Kadabra, Rapidash, and Pinsir.

Team has its threats so as I've mentioned. The lack of immediate speed outside of Swanna and Silvally means that the team heavily relies on the defensive backbone, and its susceptibility to status means that you have to play smart. Moreover, offensive Golem/Crustle/Play Rough Mawile blow back Shiftry so it can be tough to remove hazards and as such the team will have to take rocks chip throughout the match. Specs Abomasnow is especially annoying as a result, but it can be played around.

S1nn0hC0nfirm3d

aka Ho3nConfirm3d
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a defending SCL Champion
Hey all, built this team a while back and it's still relatively solid in the current metagame.

Swanna @ Flyinium Z
Jolly Nature
- Mirror Move
- Liquidation
- Brave Bird
- Aqua Jet

Shiftry @ Leftovers
Ability: Pickpocket
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Leaf Blade
- Synthesis
- Defog

Golem @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 16 Def / 236 SpD / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Toxic

Gourgeist-Super @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Frisk
Impish Nature
- Synthesis
- Will-O-Wisp
- Leech Seed
- Foul Play

Muk @ Leftovers
Ability: Sticky Hold
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Curse
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Poison Jab

Silvally @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Double-Edge
- Explosion
- U-turn
- Crunch

Z-Mirror Move Swanna starts the team off and serves as the team's primary breaker. Z-MM takes advantage of typical checks such as Lickilicky and Silvally-Water and +2 priority comes clutch against Scarf Mr. Mime and Kadabra, two big threats to the team. Next up, I chose Defog+Synthesis Shiftry because of its ability to consistently check Bronzor and phys def Golem as well as having the ability to soft check Electivire throughout the course of a match. Swanna+Shiftry give the team an offensive outlet, so mixed defense Golem/Gourg-XL/Curse Muk come in to help form the defensive backbone. These Pokemon are fairly straightforward and I opted for mixed defense Golem because the team heavily relies on Muk to tank special attacks and having Golem be able to pivot into Chatot/Zeb/Scarf Mime is valued. Also, Gourgeist-XL is such a good blanket physical wall that Golem does not really mind losing the physical bulk. As of now the team needs some speed and revenge killing, and it lacks a Silvally, so I slap on Choice Scarf Silvally. In my opinion, Choice Scarf Silvally is one of the most consistent Scarfers in the tier when you can fit it. Checks important things such as opposing Swanna, Mr. Mime, Kadabra, Rapidash, and Pinsir.

Team has its threats so as I've mentioned. The lack of immediate speed outside of Swanna and Silvally means that the team heavily relies on the defensive backbone, and its susceptibility to status means that you have to play smart. Moreover, offensive Golem/Crustle/Play Rough Mawile blow back Shiftry so it can be tough to remove hazards and as such the team will have to take rocks chip throughout the match. Specs Abomasnow is especially annoying as a result, but it can be played around.
>”built this awhile back”

Ummm, breaking the rules much????

Lol just kidding, and sorry Tack it to me at least was just a boring teambuilding this week, where everything I built was pretty standard and worked just average.

Shiftry + Swanna is such a common core that I’ve built around it too much as is I guess, and I couldn’t help but to teambuild around the same support that I already knew worked so well. Thats why I won’t be submitting anything this week is all :/

Swanna+Shiftry Offense ft. Kadabra

click the sprites for the paste you dunce
Hi again, it's the smelly PU main that likes stealing teams from sketchy ecchi.

Right, I'm doing another one of these, eh? hopefully it won't be as long as the last one.
First off, let's start with the core handed to me by the wonderful host of this thread, Shiftry and Swanna. The synergy these two share is mind-boggling and its a crime not to pair them together. Shiftry, having Knock and SD, is able to beat mons such as Bronzor and Mareanie with ease, both of which highly threaten the big birb. Other threats to Swanna that Shiftry is able to threaten include: Golem (Bullet Seed can break Sturdy), Electivire (If you predict right), Kadabra and many more. Swanna is able to beat Shiftry's checks as well. Pokemon such as Machoke, Fightvally, Combusken all fear the brave birb that is Swanna.

Golem is the main rocker of this team and is a nuke if needed. It can kill Swanna with ease which would dominate this team otherwise and sets hazards to allow for the breakers in this team to have a much easier job. Then there's Combusken. Combusken is just here to tear shit up and break w/e is in it's path. It also acts as the Shiftry answer in this team that would otherwise absolutely shit on this squad.

Pinsir is the secondary wincon of the team. Z-Me First SD is a fantastic set and makes Pinsir's job of sweeping much, much easier. It acts as a late game cleaner and is able to slap teams that are not correctly prepped for this specific set. Lastly, we have Kadabra. I'm gonna be honest here, I have close to no idea why Kadabra is here but i do know it works perfectly. I think Kadabra is highly underrated atm, I've seen like 3 Kadabras in my time in ZU and this thing is a monster. It can hit stupidly hard and sash counter maks it even better. Being able to change one of its weaknesses into something that helps it in many matchups significantly makes it a wonderful last pick for this team.

Thanks for reading and I hope you enjoyed! :]

S1nn0hC0nfirm3d

aka Ho3nConfirm3d
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a defending SCL Champion
Well I would like to vote for 5gen's team, but the original ruleset was that the team had to be built before the core was announced right? And 5gen was open to admitting that his team was older than the post.

But, I don't see that rule in the OP anymore. So I'm not sure.

If old teams are fine now, I'll vote 5gen. But that is a bummer because I could have submitted an old team this week :/

If not, I'll vote Sput.

Tack

Bow to your Matriarch
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
Well I would like to vote for 5gen's team, but the original ruleset was that the team had to be built before the core was announced right? And 5gen was open to admitting that his team was older than the post.

But, I don't see that rule in the OP anymore. So I'm not sure.
I never actually put such a rule in the OP, just kinda said "I'd prefer if it were a new team but I won't stop you" when various people asked about it

Sputnik

Bono My Tires are Deceased
is a Contributor Alumnus
DragMag Screens HO Featuring Rock Polish Alolem and DD Fraxure

Golem-Alola @ Shuca Berry
Ability: Magnet Pull
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Fire Punch
- Wild Charge
- Rock Polish

Fraxure @ Eviolite
Ability: Mold Breaker
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- Substitute
- Poison Jab

Electrode @ Light Clay
Ability: Aftermath
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Light Screen
- Reflect
- Taunt
- Volt Switch

Crustle @ Focus Sash
Ability: Weak Armor
Jolly Nature
- Spikes
- Stealth Rock
- Knock Off
- Stone Edge

Servine @ Eviolite
Ability: Contrary
Modest Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Substitute
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Giga Drain

Combusken @ Eviolite
Ability: Speed Boost
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Protect
- Sky Uppercut
- Flare Blitz

Man I had some problems with this weeks challenge. I really only play HO and have barely ever used anything resembling any sort of "defense" (The first attempt I made at this, which was a balance team, was really quite terrible so I scrapped it entirely and started over with something more my speed) so I wanted to make Alolan Golem work on a HO team.

This turned out to be a massive challenge. Alolem is slow, has an awkward typing, and unfortunately does not learn Sucker Punch. It's also really strange to attempt to support thanks to some extremely notable weaknesses. The Alolem set was hard to choose, but the last two offensive mons were really tough as well. It took a ton of trial and error, but after going through about 10 different sets and 5 different Pokemon for the last two offensive slots I managed to make what I think is a decent team, and find a really unique application for Alolan-Golem

Golem-Alola

The only conceivable way Alolem made any sense here at all was with a Rock Polish set that allows it to still beat the Steel Types that it is tasked with while also dismantling many slower teams after a Rock Polish. A set of Earthquake, Fire Punch, and Wild Charge allows it to beat Steel types easily (Max Defense Bronzor can live sometimes, but that's about it, and the team has other ways of dealing with that very specific mon) and be threatening to a large portion of the tier.

The problem came with it being really annoyed by scarfers, particularly Electivire and Rapidash.

That's where Shuca Berry comes in. Shuca Berry turns this thing into a Scarf Evire check, and an emergency switch in when screens are up. This also serves as an excellent lure for said scarfers. Definitely a weird solution, but an effective one.

Fraxure

The rest of the team resembles one of my screen teams, and 3/5 sets are actually identical to said team. Some of y'all might have seen me play it. (The presence of Alolem makes the team play very differently, as it provides utility that is much different to the Huntail that the other team features) The Fraxure set is different from that particular team, as it carries Poison Jab instead of Stomping Tantrum. This allows it to threaten Fairies, and giving up on the ability to hit Steel types isn't a huge issue thanks to Alolem's presence. Eviolite Dragon Dance Fraxure behind screens is very scary, as it usually has more than enough bulk to set up Substitute and/or Dragon Dance. Outrage is fairly self explanatory.

Electrode

Any screen team needs a good screen setter. Electrode gets up screens very well, with Taunt and Volt Switch rounding out the set. I don't have much more to say here, other than "RU PLEASE LEAVE OUR SCREEN SETTING ELECTRO BALL ALONE"

Crustle

Crustle is my go to for whenever I want a suicide lead. The combination of Stealth Rocks, Spikes, Weak Armor, and a Focus Sash allows this thing to often get multiple layers of hazards up. Knock Off is very useful in general, and Stone Edge provides a powerful STAB move if needed. Again, not a whole lot to say here. It does its job, and it does it well.

Servine

Servine serves as a way to punish Defoggers while also being a monstrously powerful and bulky Special Attacker behind screens once it gets going. The combined bulk of Eviolite and Screens make setting up subs fairly easy, and then it can go to town by spamming Leaf Storm. Hidden Power Fire is a good answer to the aforementioned Max Defense Bronzor, the only steel that really gives this team issues. Giga Drain is nice for a 100% accurate STAB move while also granting Servine recovery.

Combusken

I'm starting to sound like a broken record, but Eviolite mons are very bulky behind screens. This variant of Combusken has very little issue setting up Swords Dance, after which it can Protect and then go to work. It's really hard to stop this variant of Combusken once it gets going, and the only thing that holds it back is my own annoying habit of sending it out too early.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7zu-906252594
Vs. DaRevert.
This is a fairly typical match where everyone puts in work to an extent with Combusken finishing the job.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7zu-906260749
Vs. LaF_72
Alolem does exactly what it is supposed to do here, removing both Evire and Bronzor and allowing Fraxure to go to town.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7zu-906266357
Vs. LordToxicOW
A replay where Alolem traps again. The match got cut off early but it is still a valuable replay so the Stall matchup can be seen, at least to an extent.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7zu-906374662
Vs. Ho3nConfirm3d
Servine puts in some serious work in this one.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7zu-906380373
Vs. jambajoos
Another match showcasing the power of Servine, this time against stall.

Special thanks to everyone that helped me test this monstrosity and every attempt at it before this. This is a really strange experiment even for me (and most of my builds involve strange experiments so that's saying something) but I think that it turned out rather well. Thanks for reading!

Last edited:

Tack

Bow to your Matriarch
Shoutouts sputnik for being the only person in this thread to post teams on time every week, if someone posts a team before Friday I'll move to voting as soon as I see it, otherwise i think I'll just give a win to him

5gen

jumper
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
DragMag With a Twist

Golem-Alola @ Magnet
Ability: Galvanize
Adamant Nature
- Block
- Explosion
- Double-Edge
- Earthquake

Fraxure @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Outrage
- Low Kick
- Poison Jab
- Stomping Tantrum

Metang @ Eviolite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Atk / 16 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Meteor Mash
- Earthquake
- Bullet Punch

Swanna @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Roost
- Defog
- Hurricane
- Scald

Silvally @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Double-Edge
- Explosion
- U-turn
- Crunch

Bellossom @ Grassium Z
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Strength Sap
- Quiver Dance
- Giga Drain
- Sleep Powder

When you think of DragMag, what comes to mind is typically Dragon spam+Steel-type trappers. I've experimented before with CB Golem-A+ Fraxure and have seen some people's take on DragMag in ZU, and two issues always stuck out to me with these types of team. The first is that Golem-A+Fraxure is an inherently slow combination that is excellent at breaking, but is easily exploited by offensive Pokemon. The second issue is that I've never really made set up Fraxure work and in general I do not think it is fit to be a sweeper. With these two issues in mind, I decided to take advantage of the tremendous breaking potential Golem-A+Fraxure have. However, for this team building competition, I thought to spice things up with Block Galvanize Golem-A and CB Fraxure (s/o LPY).

Obviously, running Block on a Pokemon that has Magnet Pull is counterintuitive and more of a bluff/roundabout way of trapping Steel-types. In my defense though, Magnet Galvanize Golem-A is able to OHKO Metang and standard Bronzor as well as being able to nuke random walls (and most players don't even bother to check for Magnet Pull when you bluff). Initially I thought I was a genius and ran Normalium Z, but then I flopped against BP and remembered that Galvanize does not affect Z-moves. Made a similar mistake with Silk Scarf until it was pointed out on Discord that Silk Scarf gives no boost. Anyway, this particular Golem-A set pretty much paves the way for CB Fraxure to spam Outrage. Choice Band makes Fraxure a brainless wallbreaker that is able to apply immediate pressure right out the gate. Often times all you need to do is lead with it and click Outrage and the team plays itself from there. However, the core significantly lacks defensive utility and is weak to a plethora of Pokemon from Shiftry to Swanna to Kadabra. In order to take advantage of this breaking core, I decided to roll with an offensive build.

Metang naturally fits on an offensive team when Kanto Golem is not your rocker. On this specific build, it helps check Abomasnow, Mr. Mime, Kadabra, Normal-types, etc and even it appreciates how Golem-A and Fraxure tear through bulkier teams and pressure opposing rockers. Bullet Punch is especially useful against Pokemon that barely manage to survive an attack from CB Fraxure such as Marowak.

Next up is the offensive duo of LO Swanna and Choice Scarf Silvally. Swanna is arguably the best offensive Defogger and with Golem-A+CB Fraxure murking the physical side, special Swanna does not really have to worry about breaking through walls. In addition, Swanna is the team's main check to Floatzel, Pinsir, and Gourgeist-XL. On the other hand, Choice Scarf Silvally is one of the most consistent revenge killers in the tier due to its power, bulk, and ability to pivot. Unlike Scarf Evire, it does not have to be wary of using its STAB (unless there's a Ghost) and U-turn cannot be blocked. Moreover, Scarf Explosion is a clutch move against slower set up sweepers such as Bellossom and Muk.

Looking the five mons I began to think "Golem and Shiftry have their way with the team" and so I slapped on QD Bellossom. Although it is slow, the utility it brings as a bulky Grass-type fits the needs of the team and it also helps check Electivire which can run rampage. In addition, Bellossom provides a wincon for the team which is another necessary role.
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7zu-909190930
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7zu-909197576 (Misplayed here a couple times but could've won the game)

Played more games on ladder with the team and nabbed some wins, but the quality wasn't there so I didn't bother saving.

Thanks for reading.

What Choice Do I Have

Golem-Alola @ Choice Band
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Fire Punch
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Explosion

Fraxure @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Outrage
- Low Kick
- Poison Jab
- Toxic

Monferno @ Eviolite
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 252 HP / 100 SpA / 156 Spe
Timid Nature
- Slack Off
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn
- Overheat

Lunatone @ Rockium Z
Ability: Levitate
Modest Nature
- Rock Polish
- Substitute
- Power Gem
- Psychic

Silvally-Ground @ Ground Memory
Impish Nature
- Defog
- Parting Shot
- Multi-Attack
- Thunder Wave

Politoed @ Chesto Berry
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 100 Def / 152 SpD / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Toxic
- Hidden Power [Electric]
- Scald
- Rest

Main Idea:

I built a couple super crappy teams playing around with rocks trapper Alolem and DD/band Fraxure, but I kept being frustrated by the same thing as 5gen: The core is inherently extremely slow and unwieldy. Also, I honestly don't think Band (best set) Fraxure benefits much at all from Alolem, because it can easily bop Bronzors with Mold Breaker Stomping Tantrum, and adding Alolem makes it harder to use Fraxure effectively. My solution to this issue was to use scarf Fraxure (ty based LPY for almost slamming me with it) in an attempt to make one part of the core fast. Scarf fraxure is excellent for catching opponents by surprise and outspeeding the entire unboosted metagame, which is cool. Because both of the core elements are slow and Choiced, I opted to go for a voltturn team, and this is the end result. Also, dual STAB Lunatone hates Steel types and ironically enough benefits more from Alolem than Fraxure does.

Golem-Alola

It's really hard to do anything with this mon AND have HP/healthiness left over at the end of the day. Adding speed only allows you to speed tie with opposing offensive Golem, which really isn't a 50/50 you want to risk anyways. So I made it max hp band with no creep; the basic idea is that you should end up with enough health after you trap Bronzor and it psywaves/toxics you that you MIGHT be able to take a hit from something and explode or otherwise bop them. Banded alolem functions like a worse band Golem in most circumstances, coming in via a pivot and threatening a defensive mon with a serious attack stat. It's one of your main forms of Mareanie pressure on the team, so play carefully with it when Mare is present. Obviously, it traps and eliminates Mawile and Bronzor for the rest of the team, which frees up some coverage options and allows the team to go without a knock user.

Roles:
  • Prevent 6-0 from Muk
  • Komala Switchin*
    • Threatens Komala*
  • 6-0s Stall
  • Deals with Bronzor
  • Breaks Lickilicky
  • Breaks Mareanie
  • Breaker
  • Threatens Golem*
  • Threatens Electivire* (locked into Ice Punch/Wild Charge)
Fraxure

Fraxure is the team's only speed control, and is the only way for the team to effectively threaten faster unboosted threats without boosting up. 333 attack and 384 speed give it what it needs to threaten to KO or severely weaken all major unboosted Pokemon (Swanna, Floatzel, Electivire, Leafeon, etc) and punch through weakened blanket checks and walls. Its coverage with this set gives it the option to hit Lickilicky, Golem, etc harder with Low Kick and avoid locking itself into Outrage and also the ability to hit incoming Mr Mime, Granbull, and Shiinotic with Poison Jab if the situation calls for it. The set carries Toxic in order to catch incoming Gourgeist or non-steels (since alolem will be trapping them) off-guard.

Roles:
  • Scarfer
  • Threatens Golem, Shiftry, Rapidash, Komala, Kecleon, Swanna, Electivire*
  • Threatens unboosted base 95s
  • Prevent 6-0 from Muk
  • Breaks Lickilicky
  • Breaker*
  • Toxic user*
  • Breaks Mareanie*
Monferno

After I had the core, I needed a volt/turn/pivot core, so I started with Monferno to patch up some of the (completely empty) defensive synergies between the requested core. It provides rocks, u-turn, and a Shiftry/Abomasnow check. I opted for Overheat Specail over Blitz or CC because both are predictable and exploitable, and Overheat allows Monferno to aboslutely boppify Gourgeist, which otherwise is an obnoxious mon for the team to deal with. Let's face it, you're never clicking an attack twice with defensive Monferno anyways; you always pivot or switch out, so he doesn't mind the SpA drop very much.

Roles:
  • Rocks
  • Shiftry switch-in
  • Abomasnow switch-in
  • Threatens Shiftry
  • Deals with Gourgeist
  • Prevents Combusken 6-0 (physical and Special)*
  • Threatens out Komala (can't really kill it with Overheat though, but they don't know that)
Lunatone

This is the oddest mon on the team by far, but it actually fit the team perfectly with its resistsances. The team is extremely weak to the coverage options of a lot of threats, and will ultimately require a decent amount of sacking to operate properly, but Lunatone can come in on predicted Earthquakes, Brave Birds/Hurricanes, Returns, Fire Blasts, etc and proceed to threaten out or set up on the offending Mon. It also comes in at a surprisingly potent 317 SpA when Modest, and outspeeds scarfed base 95s at +2 (like Noctowl). I gave it Substitute to help avoid Sucker Punch from Shiftry after getting set up and to allow it to potentially bait out a Golem Stone Edge miss (or 2HKO from behind sub when Golem comes in on it). Rockium gives it a more spammable STAB Z, and can put a dent in a lot of answers. Lunatone gives the team another way to beat Gourgeist while giving it a 100% switchin to Rapidash (which also allows it to freely set up).

Roles:

• Setup Sweeper
  • Z Move User
  • Prevents 6-0 from scarf Mime
  • Switches into Rapidash
  • Deals with Gourgeist
  • Golem Switchin* (takes a hefty chunk from Stone Edge offensive variants)
  • Switches into Electivire*
  • Komala Switch-In*
  • Threatens Rapidash, Komala, Golem, Swanna (at +2)
  • Prevents 6-0 from Muk
  • Prevents Combusken 6-0 (physical and special)*
  • Breaks Mareanie (sets up sub or RP on non-scald variants)
Silvally-Ground

At this point, I really really needed a true Electivire answer and electric immunity, and still needed a defogger. I almost went with Seaking and filled the last slot with an offensive Vally that could handle Swanna, but settled on defensive Silvally-Ground instead. This gave me a good blanket check to many of the physical threats running around the tier, notably Pinsir, Electivire, Golem, and Kecleon. It also added another pivot (even with an atk/spatk drop in the form of Parting Shot) to allow for an easier time getting the breakers/setup threats in, completing the "Turn-Shot" core of the team.

Roles:

• Defog/Spin
  • Electric immunity
  • Stops Z-Me First Pinsir
  • Golem Switchin
  • Switches into Electivire (no guaranteed 3HKO with Ice Punch)
  • Switches into Kecleon
  • Threatens Electivire, Kecleon, Rapidash, Komala
  • Prevents Muk 6-0
  • Knock Off Switchin
Politoed

You may have noticed that I've spread myself quite thin trying to cover the weaknesses of the core ,and in the process have created a MASSIVE water-type weakness. Swanna runs train on this team if it's not dispatched with a lure or +2 Lunatone, and I desperately needed somethign that could resist its water-STAB. I could find no better mon than my boi, Politoed, whom I used a lot in the Floatzel meta for just this reason. The mixed bulk allows it to take 2 hits from any Swanna variant and KO back with HP Electric or set up a Toxic on it. The spread also allows it to prevent 6-0s from both Combusken variants if it is kept healthy. Resto Chesto was employed (I miss you, BW!) to give the Toed an opportunity to recover the 70-90% of HP it is likely to take from 2 hits from major threats and be back up and in fighting shape, threatening to KO with its surprising SpAtk stat. Ultimately, Politoed works here as a niche glue to hold the team together if played properly (don't be like me and let it get chipped early and often),.

Roles:

• Switches into Swanna
  • Prevents Combusken 6-0 (both)
  • Toxic user
  • blanket Special check
  • Toxic switchin (Chesto ftw)
  • Threatens Swanna
  • Prevent 6-0 from scarf Mime
  • Switches into Rapidash
  • Kecleon Switchin
  • Stops Z-Me First Pinsir*
  • Threatens Rapidash
Conclusion

The team looks and feels haphazard, with a lot of niche checks, and thus might not really be able to adapt to opposing innovation/off-meta picks, but it actually doesn't lack anything in my teambuilding template with the exception of 'Knock Off User', which is mostly mitigated by the presence of Alolem to trap the most obnoxious eviolite abuser in the tier. I think this week's core necessitated a lot of creativity in the defensive synergy of the rest of the team, and forces the player to effectively play to the slow, powerful nature of the core mons, which is best facilitated with a volt-turn core. Notable weaknesses for the team include fast threats that are backed by a core that Fraxure cannot click a move towarrds, faster scarfers (same issue as with Noctowl), and residual chip due to the over-reliance on blanket checks and lack of a true Toxic switchin outside of resto-chestoed.

That said, it has functioned well in the games I've used it in, and has surprised a lot of players with its synergy and Lunatone (RIP ktut). Give it a few games for you to get used to playing to its wincons and synergy before you dismiss it!

Last edited:

Tack

Bow to your Matriarch
Yknow, I said I'd update this when I saw teams, but at this point I feel like it might just be better to extend building till Friday so I can get back on a decent schedule for this, updating on mobile is near impossible to keep to a standard I enjoy. Cya Friday guys

ImKoolKidz

I COULD BE BANNED!
The Team

Made this in 5 minutes, seems solid. Mare + Zor backbone is super strong imo. Silvally-Fight for Shiftry. Golem-A removes Bronzor so Z-Dragon Fraxure and Specs Abomasnow can sweep and clean up, respectively.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)