Project ZU Player of the Week - ShwiftyShiftry

Jett

gn gobodachis
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
ZU_Player_Of_The_Week.png

Approved by 5gen & S1nn0hC0nfirm3d | Amazing Art by Albatross
(Interview Date: 20th of August 2021)

hattrem.png

Hello everybody and welcome back to "ZU Player of the Week"!, the project where some of ZU's finest community members are interviewed about their Pokemon and personal lives. I am grateful I have already had the chance to interview so many amazing ZU players, and I hope the interviews in the future will be just as great. Our next guest is our newest Room Moderator...

leafeon.gif

ShwiftyShiftry!! (z3ll1)
Favourite Pokemon: :leafeon:
(ZU Room Moderator, NU Room Driver)
ditto.png

Ditto used Transform!
Ditto transformed into Leafeon!

leafeon.png

*Leeaf*

hattrem.png

Hello Shwifty, how are you today?

leafeon.png

Hey Jett, had a long, but pretty chill day at work, so overall I'm fine. Hbu?

hattrem.png

I'm doing well, thanks for asking. What sort of work do you do?

leafeon.png

My dad is a carpenter and I'm currently helping him out until my first semester of university starts. We're about to finish building a whole house including interior design. Since it's supposed to be perfect the pressure to perform well is quite high

hattrem.png

Oh wow, that sounds awesome; hope it goes perfectly for you.

leafeon.png

We are way ahead of our schedule and will ideally finish a whole month before the deadline. Even more so than myself my dad is a very passionate perfectionist. He has always been a very important role model for me!

hattrem.png

That's actually really impressive and that's very cool that the two of you are working on this project together
Apart from your job, could you tell us more about yourself in general

leafeon.png

I'm usually pretty bad at describing myself, but for the sake of the interview I'll give it a shot. I'm 21 years old, was born and raised in a very dedicated and hard working family in Austria (yes, the one without kangaroos). I love sports, especially martial arts, snowboarding and volleyball, but I'm also kind of a nerd. That's the reason why I'll study physics and chemistry at one of Austria's top science universities. After that I'd like to teach both of those subjects at my old high school.

hattrem.png

Very nice :> and that's an apt description of yourself. You definitely have a lot of goals in mind which is great since im clueless about myself haha
You described yourself as "kind of a nerd", so it makes sense you ended up on PS/Smogon, but how did this actually happen?

leafeon.png

Well, I actually ended up here because I was a pretty "bad" student in high school and played Pokémon instead of paying attention lol. But I still managed to get good grades so here I am on my way to becoming a teacher myself.

hattrem.png

oh lmao I see
Congrats on your recent promotion to mod! As someone who has been around for a while and risen up through the ranks, what are some things you miss about ZU and the community from "ye olden days" and what are some good changes that have occurred?

leafeon.png

Well, while I do like the current state of our tier and the community playing it, I definitely miss some former users which went missing during the transition from gen7 to gen8. Special shoutouts to Tsareentje and Graceclaw (green voice gang forever).

hattrem.png

Hmm makes a lot of sense; always sucks to have some of your closest peers leave the mons scene

leafeon.png

Even if it's not directly related to the good old times, one of my favorite changes was Ho3n's transition from just owning us on ladder to actually owning us. I truly respect the growth as a player and person.

hattrem.png

Ah ye, ho3n's journey as a person and player gives off main character vibes lmao
Moving onto the metagame itself now, what are some of your favourite Pokemon to use at the moment and do you think the metagame is in a good state at the moment?

leafeon.png

As my name might already suggest I'm a huge fan of offensive grass types, especially Flapple and Shiftry. Since Ground ally got banned you can actually fit those on a team now! Overall the meta is in a good state, but Alcremie is definitely on my watchlist (no, not because it beats shiftry).

hattrem.png

ah ye alcremie is definitely something to watch out for still but Pokemon like Skuntank feel easier to use now so should be interesting
If you had to choose 1 Pokemon/Item/Ability to come back from ZUBL, what would it be and why?

leafeon.png

None, but I would love to free snow warning! Even if that might end up getting vish banned

hattrem.png

ah fair, I miss Vanilluxe being good
ZUPL is going to be underway very shortly, as an unbiased player (since you're not managing) could you rank the team names!

leafeon.png

Actually I'm very biased and still mad that czim didn't claim team Palp Fiction. But since that isn't an option I'll give #1 to Ho3n's team for historical reasons, go stunkys!

hattrem.png

oh lmao fair enough
Do you prefer playing/building SS or SM and why?

leafeon.png

I prefer SM because Z moves add a whole different layer to building and playing.

hattrem.png

ah that makes sense
z moves were incredibly fun
Sinnoh remakes are due to come out in about 3 months time, are there any SM ZU staples you'd be excited to see back

leafeon.png

I would love to get our previous BO ground types, torterra and golem, back. They're among the most versatile gen7 staples and it's a shame that they were taken from us!
Also I still hope that Z moves will return at some point.

hattrem.png

Ah ye with how strong electric types have been, most notably rotom, and we've been in need of ground types or at least good ones, especially with Silv ground gone now
Moving away from mons now, could you tell us a little more about the hobbies you do, starting with sports?

leafeon.png

Well, as I previously mentioned my favorite sports are Taekwondo, snowboarding and volleyball. Especially Taekwondo has become a part of my life I couldn't imagine living without. Originally I started practicing in TKD in middle school to stand up for myself and my beliefs, but also to cope with stress and anxiety, which a lot of people can probably relate to. But over the years it has become so much more to me. Especially the mental and emotional journey surprised me more than then physical. Within a decade I turned from an insecure and angry child into a confident adult, which stands his ground in a rational and non-violent way. I would like to thank my trainers and colleagues for being part of this journey and for becoming a second family to me (they probably won't read this anyway).
I also like drawing, so sorry for drawing this answer out that much lmao.

hattrem.png

Oh that's really interesting, thanks for sharing and don't worry about, was a nice pun
Definitely happy to see that things have turned out well
You also mentioned that you were going to study physics and chemistry, what about these subjects do you enjoy so much?

leafeon.png

Well, ever since I can remember I've been a very curious person. Whenever an average kid would just respond with "woah" I always asked "How does this work?" and "Why does it work that way?". So 15 years went by and here we are.
For me it's about going above and beyond being average. (Should probably thank my dad for that mindset)

hattrem.png

I see, that's very intriguing but it's cool you had this passion since you were young.
Do you listen to music often? If so what are some of your favourite genres/artists?

leafeon.png

I actually listen to music all the time. While this isn't directly related to genres I prefer music with meaningful texts and clever wordplay. If I had to narrow it down my favorite genres are probably (pop)punk and rap. I grew up with green day, Linkin Park and Eminem and I still love the genres.

hattrem.png

ah classics

leafeon.png

Some of my personal favorite songs are Woke up by Hi-Rez, You better die young by Nomy and Distance by Mammoth WVH. Simply because the songs carry a message.

hattrem.png

Those are some very good choices :D
you have good taste

leafeon.png

I often question society and the way we live and those songs just blend in nicely with that. Also ty :D didn't expect you to know all of them.

hattrem.png

ah that's pretty cool
time for the weirder wackier question of the interview; in smog city resides an evil villain called czim who refused to manage palp fiction, you decide to setup an organisation to force czim to manage but only have time to hire 2 fellow staff members, who do you choose to help you on your task?

leafeon.png

1. Ho3n since he has experience in stomping staff 2. 5gen since this is practically a suicide mission and nothing of value would be lost. (if you are old enough to get these references: ILY). Jokes aside, I just like them, hope I didn't step on too many toes^^

hattrem.png

Great response! In this hypothetical situation im sure czim would become a manager again
Alright rounding things off, do you have a ZU team to share?

leafeon.png

:lapras: :golem: :furfrou: :rotom-fan: :grimer-alola: :swanna:
This is a team I built for the previous zupl. It's built around subtox Lapras but also features some neat techs like hp water Rotom to allow Furfrou to push buttons after killing golem. Also bulky sucker Golem to fake a more passive set and pick up surprising kos on frail threats like Kadabra and chipped Swanna
While I didn't play it myself, it won us a week and just made me feel good, because all techs worked out perfectly in the same match.

hattrem.png

ah nice nice
thanks for sharing some very cool techs
Last but not least, do you have any final remarks and shoutouts you'd like to give?

leafeon.png

First of all I would like to thank you for doing all these interviews for the community, you're the real player of the week here. I would also like to shout out every single zu staff member, you guys are doing a great job and I'm grateful for being part of this. Last but not least I'd like to salute my fallen gen7 comrades, I had a great time with you and hope you're doing well in life.
Also a shoutout to anyone that bothered reading through all of my oversharing!

hattrem.png

no worries, these interviews are always enjoyable!

leafeon.png

Shwifty out, have a nice day!

Feel free to ask to z3ll1 any questions you want!

viet noa

eating neopronoun pizza at little xe/xyrs
is a Pre-Contributor
1. i know you like offensive grass types, so what are your thoughts on trevenant?
2. is carpeting something you’re interested in? or do you just like helping out your dad?
3. besides the personal connection you have to it, what about TKD stands out to you compared to other martial arts?
4. when it comes to rap, are you more of an old school type of fan? or do you mess with the new generation? or both?
5. where would you rank austria on a tier list of all countries in the world? (s tier, a tier, b tier, etc)

Sawkasm

formerly z3ll1
1. i know you like offensive grass types, so what are your thoughts on trevenant?
2. is carpeting something you’re interested in? or do you just like helping out your dad?
3. besides the personal connection you have to it, what about TKD stands out to you compared to other martial arts?
4. when it comes to rap, are you more of an old school type of fan? or do you mess with the new generation? or both?
5. where would you rank austria on a tier list of all countries in the world? (s tier, a tier, b tier, etc)
1. I'd say it's decent but the competition(gourg-s and xl) makes it kinda hard to fit/justify.
2. Carpenting is something I grew up with, but it's more of a hobby to me rather than something I'd do for a living.
3. Since I live in a rather rural area there aren't many martial arts clubs within a reasonable distance. Also Taekwondo is more acrobatic and dynamic than karate, which was the only other option I had back then. Once I move out I'll definitely try out other martial arts.
4. I do like both, old and new artists. Except for mumble rap, that's hot garbage rather than rap to me. Some notable new gen rappers are Hi-Rez, NF and Hopsin.
5. S+ of course, great healthcare and education systems and proper gun laws.

Last edited:

viet noa

is a Pre-Contributor
1. I'd say it's decent but the competition(gourg-s and xl) makes it kinda hard to fit/justify.
2. Carpenting is something I grew up with, but it's more of a hobby to me rather than something I'd do for a living.
3. Since I live in a rather rural area there aren't many martial arts clubs within a reasonable distance. Also Taekwondo is more acrobatic and dynamic than karate, which was the only other option I had back then. Once I move out I'll definitely try out other martial arts.
4. I do like both, old and new artists. Except for mumble rap, that's hot garbage rather than rap to me. Some notable new gen rappers are Hi-Rez, NF and Hopsin.
5. S+ of course, great healthcare and education systems and proper gun laws.
1. rip
2. nice! i can understand not having the desire to do it for a living, but i’m glad you at least enjoy it
3. that’s fair enough, i think at one point as a little kid i tried karate but wasn’t super interested in it
4. i can understand where you’re coming from, but honestly i can’t take the term “mumble rap” seriously anymore because of how many oldheads use it to diss the new generation without listening to it. if you’re looking for other 2010’s-20’s rappers who are on the more lyrical side, i’d highly recommend Benny The Butcher (and the rest of Griselda), Cordae, Isaiah Rashad, and Freddie Gibbs
5. wait they actually have a decent healthcare system?????

edit: i’d also recommend gaining a different perspective on modern trap rap. i get the fact that modern rappers don’t really have the lyrical capabilities of a 2pac or biggie, but they’re expressing similar cultural experiences in a more charismatic, high-energy way that resonates with the youth. there’s even mainstream rappers like Polo G and Dave who have made genuinely deep songs on a lyrical level. so while you’re not forced to like it, i don’t think it’s “trash” per se.

Last edited:

Sawkasm

formerly z3ll1
1. rip
2. nice! i can understand not having the desire to do it for a living, but i’m glad you at least enjoy it
3. that’s fair enough, i think at one point as a little kid i tried karate but wasn’t super interested in it
4. i can understand where you’re coming from, but honestly i can’t take the term “mumble rap” seriously anymore because of how many oldheads use it to diss the new generation without listening to it. if you’re looking for other 2010’s-20’s rappers who are on the more lyrical side, i’d highly recommend Benny The Butcher (and the rest of Griselda), Cordae, Isaiah Rashad, and Freddie Gibbs
5. wait they actually have a decent healthcare system?????

edit: i’d also recommend gaining a different perspective on modern trap rap. i get the fact that modern rappers don’t really have the lyrical capabilities of a 2pac or biggie, but they’re expressing similar cultural experiences in a more charismatic, high-energy way that resonates with the youth. there’s even mainstream rappers like Polo G and Dave who have made genuinely deep songs on a lyrical level. so while you’re not forced to like it, i don’t think it’s “trash” per se.
I didn't say that I dislike modern rap as a whole, I even mentioned Hi-Rez as one of my favorite artists, but there are a lot of songs and artists that get hyped for reasons I'll probably never understand.

viet noa

is a Pre-Contributor
I didn't say that I dislike modern rap as a whole, I even mentioned Hi-Rez as one of my favorite artists, but there are a lot of songs and artists that get hyped for reasons I'll probably never understand.
that’s fair enough. definitely check out the griselda boys if u haven’t already tho, they’re sick & you might like them

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)