Project ZU Victim Of The Week V2 (Round Three: Submission Phase)

SBPC

stranded on an island
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Quick Post disputting Furfrou.
After further review by myself, i have found the post to be very sloppily written as well as flat out wrong. Mold Breaker SD Pinsir can smash through Furfrou with ease due to mold breaker and Z-Me First doesn't mind punching through it even without moxie boosts.

252+ Atk Pinsir X-Scissor vs. 252 HP / 34+ Def Furfrou: 183-216 (51.6 - 61%) -- 94.1% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

+2 252 Atk Mold Breaker Pinsir X-Scissor vs. 252 HP / 34+ Def Furfrou: 333-393 (94 - 111%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO after Leftovers recovery

252 Atk Mold Breaker Pinsir Savage Spin-Out (160 BP) vs. 252 HP / 34+ Def Furfrou: 333-393 (94 - 111%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO after Leftovers recovery

Any user who has voted for furfrou has the option to reassign their one vote. Otherwise it will not be counted.

E: if you think cotton guard will save you, pinsir will just boost through it with its own SD.

Last edited:
Quick Post disputting Furfrou.
After further review by myself, i have found the post to be very sloppily written as well as flat out wrong. Mold Breaker SD Pinsir can smash through Furfrou with ease due to mold breaker and Z-Me First doesn't mind punching through it even without moxie boosts.

252+ Atk Pinsir X-Scissor vs. 252 HP / 34+ Def Furfrou: 183-216 (51.6 - 61%) -- 94.1% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

+2 252 Atk Mold Breaker Pinsir X-Scissor vs. 252 HP / 34+ Def Furfrou: 333-393 (94 - 111%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO after Leftovers recovery

252 Atk Mold Breaker Pinsir Savage Spin-Out (160 BP) vs. 252 HP / 34+ Def Furfrou: 333-393 (94 - 111%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO after Leftovers recovery

Any user who has voted for furfrou has the option to reassign their one vote. Otherwise it will not be counted.

E: if you think cotton guard will save you, pinsir will just boost through it with its own SD.
We discussed it privately but there are 2 things that you mentioned that I would like to address here

1) About Cotton Guard. Against Z-Bug does not help due to SD repetition and Mold Breaker ofc. But in Z-Me set there is no SD. Thus, Cotton Guard would be more than enough to stop it.

2) About "sloppiness". I truly think it is not appropiated to use this word for the text. As I told you, I am here to: i) give more ideas about Pokémon ii) I did not come to "win" but to point out something else, for me Pokémon is just a hobby to enjoy iii) to tell the truth. I know that some part of the comment was against Furfrou itself. But it is the truth, not a faked and biased description. Thus, I think writing it like this make it better than doing it not sloppy.

Btw, I think people could just watch the set out and think if it is a cool check or counter for themselves. I do not think a post discussing a set in this threat was necessary. But maybe I am wrong as neural circuit was not a unit for itself.

Votes now haha

Check: Granbull
Counter: Gourgeist

Last edited:

SBPC

stranded on an island
The voting phase is over! Thanks to all of our participants this week for submitting and voting on sets.
This week's winners are LightPinkYoshi with Granbull for check, and ImKoolKidz with Gourgeist-Super for counter.

Check:
Granbull - 13
Pompom - 2
Silvally-Fight - 2

Counter:
Gourg-Super - 10
Avalugg - 4
Misdreavus - 2
Gabite - 1

Congratulations to our winners! I ask that you give me some time to post this week's check as well as update the archive.

SBPC

stranded on an island
Round 2 has begun! This week will focus around Shell Smash Crustle.

Crustle is a highly prominent threat due to it's ability to come in and set up shell smash, boosting it's already decent stats to incredible levels, allowing it to take out unprepared teams and function as a late game sweeper.

Your set:
Crustle @ White Herb or Rockium Z
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Shell Smash
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Knock Off

Good Luck and Happy Posting!​

Pyukumuku @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Toxic
- Soak
- Recover
- Block​

Pyukumuku is a counter to this Crustle set. As the Unaware wall available on ZU can stop easily any sweeper that does not run Taunt / Super-effective attacks. In this case, Crustle can do a 55% with Z-Rockium (Continental Crush) but Pyuku can just sit in front of and Recover. Stone Edge does a 35%-ish (4HKO with Leftovers recovery). Max rolls of Z-Rockium and Stone Edge do 98%-ish not taking account lefties recovery here. Moreover, the sea cucumber can Toxic it, Block it there to stop it for all the battle and with Soak (changing Crustle to a Water type Pokémon) can erase the STAB boost of Stone Edge.

Without Soak:
252+ Atk Crustle Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Pyukumuku: 93-111 (29.6 - 35.3%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Crustle Continental Crush (180 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Pyukumuku: 168-198 (53.5 - 63%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

With Soak:
252+ Atk Crustle Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Pyukumuku: 62-74 (19.7 - 23.5%) -- possible 6HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Crustle Continental Crush (180 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Pyukumuku: 112-132 (35.6 - 42%) -- 89.3% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

And just for enjoying it... a good song for Crustle!

Last edited:

Gourgeist-Super

Versus White Herb Crustle:
Even if Gourgeist-Super comes in on the Shell Smash, Crustle does only 52.1 - 61.2% with Stone Edge , which means Gourgeist can safely burn it with Will-O-Wisp. After the burn, Crustle has to boost to +6 (51.6 - 60.9%) to outdamage the Synthesis recovery. Gourgeist on the other hand does 57.2 - 67.6% with Foul Play after the first Shell Smash and already OHKOs after the second Shell Smash (128.8 - 151.6%).
→ Gourgeist-Super functions as a Counter

Versus Rockium Z Crustle:

If Gourgeist-Super comes in on the Shell Smash, Continental Crush does 93 - 109.3%. This eliminates Gourgeist-Super as counter (same as last week basically, where it was wrongly considered a counter anyways). If you come in and Frisk the Rockium Z, your only way out is to sacrifice something and then Gourgeist-Super can work as Counter. Overall incredibly shaky.
If you get a free switch-in, you can use Will-O-Wisp on the opponents Shell Smash and Continental Crush will only do 46.5 - 54.5%, which you can easily heal off with Synthesis. After that, it´s the same scenario as above: Crustle has to boost in order to break Gourgeist-Super, but Foul Play can kill him before he reaches a dangerous state.
→ Gourgeist-Super functions as a Check

Overall: Gourgeist-Super as Check to Crustle

Last edited:
Gabite is a good check to Shell Smash Crustle, since it eats any +2 hits and either puts Crustle on a timer with Toxic + Protect or Roars it away, which almost certainly makes it irrelevant for the rest of the game.

If you specifically choose Gabite as an answer to Smash Crustle/SD/Me First Pinsir, etc, it could be considered a counter, as carrying Roar invalidates all progress made by those sweepers prior to bringing Gabite in, which it can freely do, as proven with calcs.

Gabite @ Eviolite
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Roar / Protect / Rest

+2 252+ Atk Crustle Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Gabite: 125-148 (36.7 - 43.5%)
+2 252+ Atk Crustle Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Gabite: 193-228 (56.7 - 67%)

+2 252+ Atk Crustle Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Gabite: 130-153 (38.2 - 45%)

+2 252+ Atk Crustle Continental Crush (180 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Gabite: 174-205 (51.1 - 60.2%)
4 Atk Gabite Earthquake vs. -1 0 HP / 4 Def Crustle: 123-145 (43.7 - 51.6%)

As you can see, Gabite can live any hit after Crustle Smashes, so if you bring it in on the turn that it Smashes, it will always get the opportunity to Roar it out or Toxic and stall it. Roar is more useful for the White Herb set, since it effectively removes Crustle's item for the rest of the game. As you can see, an uninvested EQ from Gabite does a hefty chunk to Rockium Crustle, so you may only end up needing to use that vs that particular set.

As I said with Pinsir, if you play Gabite with checking Crustle in mind throughout the course of the game, you should have no trouble keeping it healthy enough to do its job while also providing Stealth Rock and Toxic/Phase support and a very useful blanket physical check.

Last edited:

ImKoolKidz

I COULD BE BANNED!
Floatzel is a great Check to Crustle.
Floatzel @ Choice Specs / Waterium Z
Ability: Water Veil
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Focus Blast
- Switcheroo / Taunt
Hydro Pump OHKOs Crustle, if Stealth Rocks are up. The rest of the moves are excellent coverage moves for the entire meta.
252 SpA Floatzel Hydro Vortex (185 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Crustle: 576-678 (204.9 - 241.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Floatzel Hydro Pump vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Crustle: 342-404 (121.7 - 143.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Choice Specs Floatzel Hydro Pump vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Crustle: 512-606 (182.2 - 215.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Last edited:

SBPC

stranded on an island
Voting Phase has now begun!
Same as last week, you may vote for both one Check and Counter.

Voting phase will last 4 days, ending on Thursday, March 14th.

Happy Posting!

ImKoolKidz

I COULD BE BANNED!
counter: pyuku
check: floatzel (not sure if i can vote for myself, but i literally am the only one who has an offensive mon. if i can't then i leave it blank)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)