Tournament ZUPL III - Commencement Thread

pokemonisfun

Banned deucer.
It is an acronym and they are spelled letter by letter as per convention so idk why anyone would pronounce ZUPL like “zupple” .....

I would like to ask the same question for the username czim tho :P
my name, pokemonisfun, has an acronym of "pif" - yet most people I know pronounce it as "pif" (rhymes with "if") instead of p - i - f

Also, "NATO", North Atlantic Treaty Organization, is pronounced "Nay toe", not "N-A-T-O"

I read somewhere that usually, if the abbreviation starts with a vowel, you pronounce each letter (USA, UN, EKG), otherwise, you usually prounounce it as a word

my name, pokemonisfun, has an acronym of "pif" - yet most people I know pronounce it as "pif" (rhymes with "if") instead of p - i - f

Also, "NATO", North Atlantic Treaty Organization, is pronounced "Nay toe", not "N-A-T-O"

I read somewhere that usually, if the abbreviation starts with a vowel, you pronounce each letter (USA, UN, EKG), otherwise, you usually prounounce it as a word
I must admit that the last thing you said shocked me but here in Spain, we spell USA as "iusa" so... btw, I also say pif and not pokemonisfun, too long and pif is so cool tbh.

Greybaum

GENTLEMAN, THIS IS DEMOCRACY MANIFEST
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
plenty of acronyms are spoken as a word regardless of how they start; IMAP, AWOL, ACAB, for some people even ASAP. like with everything else in language, there are no prescriptive rules to follow. just use whatever sounds nicer to you.

im gonna stick with zoople

Oh, I see.. Had no idea. Guess you learn something new everyday.

That being said, I am pretty sure WHO is pronounced as W-H-O and not who....so...confusing lol. So I suppose its just about what form makes it sound better....?

(To me Z-U-P-L and pif sound better so imma use that)

pokemonisfun

Banned deucer.
pokemonisfun how do you pronounce gmt? Because I am gmt-4 and willing to play friday to sunday except ofc during the scl auction
Hi EviGaro huge fan. I can play Sunday or Saturday night around 8 or so if that works? Same GMT as you.

As I google it, the difference between speaking these acronyms as words bs a string of letters might be indicated if it’s an acronym or initialism.

:boatogostandode:OFFICIAL ZUPL III POWER RANKINGS :boatogostandode:
(This time with a write-up!)
Thanks to Tuthur and Jett for helping me write this up and to SBPC, 5gen, DurzaOffTopic, yovan33321, Toto, BloodAce, Drud, Tuthur and The Strap for helping making the PRs. You guys are great!
The full prs can be found on this link

Every team ranked all the other 5 teams on all 5gens being played in the tournament from 1 to 5, with 1 being the strongest in their opinion. We just averaged the results and followed a formula of 4x SS + 1x every old gen and the results are as follow. Without further ado,

:ss/persian: 6. Pay Day Persians :ss/persian:
(4.6 SS, 4.4 SM, 1.2 ORAS, 3.8 BW, 5 DPP, 32.8 Total)
Led by the same 2 managers from last year and also easily the 2 standout players on the team, SBPC and 5gen, the Persians are looking a bit below the other teams. Their SS consists of a standout in Open winner Landon, an unproven Hitmonstars that will try to surprise us and OranBerryBlissey10 and Beauts, who are mostly wildcards that tend to get wins with cheese. In SM, a notably washed LPY will try to revive his glory days but looks unfavored in a strong pool. In ORAS, 20k 5gen seems like the clear favorite in the pool. In BW, veteran SBPC is a great player in a very stacked pool, even coming out only 4th in the PRs for it, although they can definitely end up dominating the pool. In DPP, wildcard 275p shows up at the bottom of the power rankings, but also is an experienced player that has just returned from a hiatus. All in all, they also have some interesting picks in the bench including Princeofalltacos, lockjaw and 5Dots, that could all end up improving the SS pool in case things dont go as expected with the starters. The real question is, will 5gen be able to support this team as much as it looks like he needs to? We just don't know.

:ss/stunky: 5. Lucky Stunky:ss/stunky:
(4.2 SS, 3.2 SM, 2.6 ORAS, 4.6 BW, 2.8 DPP, 30 Total)
Our newest Tier Leader, Ho3n (I refuse to type his whole name or his awful name change) is back managing his team that honestly has a name that doesn't really make much sense, and he is going to try to top his 2nd place last year. Stunkies' SS has some big names including the team's co-manager and Durza's nemesis Yovan33321 and No John champion TJ. NU main Luck O' the Irish and veteran Maple round out their SS starting lineup, which should perform well especially when backed by Ho3n's team support. In SM, we have a washed Rawmelon, despite being the most condecorated ZU Player ever, that is looking to make a comeback. In ORAS, Rawonion (Ho3n) is surprisingly starting in a strong pool, but he's far from being a favorite. In BW, JonAmon25 is ranked low in a very strong pool despite winning a BW Cup in the past, and doesn't seem to have enough team support to actually match the top contenders, but he has been a rising player in old gens and could potentially surprise us. In DPP, Cigtar is starting and should perform well, especially with Chokepic support. Their bench is very versatile with Chokepic and Serene Grace, so they should be able to move around if this lineup doesn't work out. Overall, we can see this team making playoffs, but they're not a favorite from the get go.

:ss/hakamo-o: 4. Humilau Hakamo-os :ss/hakamo-o:
(3 SS, 4.2 SM, 4 ORAS, 1.8 BW, 2.6 DPP, 24.6 Total)
After winning last year’s ZUPL, Apagogie has managed to pick up another solid draft with half of his starting lineup being the exact same as his last year’s finals’ lineup. Their SS core consists of a mix of strong and established players in pokemonisfun and Feliburn, and ZU mains in Tuthur and Louna. If the french duo and Apagogie are able to provide solid teams week in and week out, we can definitely expect their SS slots to put up incredible results. crying is a new face to SM but has good support from both Tuthur and Apagogie and can definitely outperform their ranking of 5th if they replicate their great showings in other tours. Alkione is once again in ORAS for the Hakamo-os and finds himself ranked tied 4th in a very top heavy pool. In BW, Tack ranked 2nd in a very strong pool and is more than capable of recreating her impressive record last time around. In DPP, The Strap is expected to also perform well, also being ranked 2nd, and having done well in last year’s PL. Overall, the Hakamo-os have a combined ranking just shy of a spot in the playoffs but they definitely have the potential to make it there and further.

:ss/butterfree: 3. To Pimp a Butterfree :ss/butterfree:
(2.2 SS, 2.4 SM, 4.6 ORAS, 1.4 BW, 3.8 DPP, 21 Total)
Led by Drud and Spacemonkey SpacialRendevous, the Butterfrees ended up with a pretty strong roster, with a SS core including standout names like seasonal winner tlenit and ladder tour finalist Drud. pdt is also an interesting pick since he tends to be a pretty strong player overall that got interested in ZU and helped build in UMPL. Sensei Axew rounds out the core as another tour player, although he haven't yet touched ZU as far as we know, but the team support should probably be enough for him to perform well. SM veteran Greybaum is a strong pick in SM, especially with tlenit and Beksel support. In ORAS, PU main and former ZUPL II DPP player zS tries his luck in a very stacked pool, but seems unfavored in a pool despite having strong teambuilding support from DnB and Drud. In BW, DnB needs no introduction, being a clear #1 seed in an already stacked pool of BW players, but will he be able to perform well after not living up to the hype in ZUPL II? Lastly, newcomer Greg (or ggrlg for the uncultured) rounds out the lineup in DPP, after performing well on classic beating Ho3n to get to semifinals. Overall, this team seems well rounded and a strong contender for playoffs.

:ss/morpeko: 2. Morpeek-a-boos :ss/morpeko:
(2.6 SS, 1 SM, 4 ORAS, 2.2 BW, 2.8 DPP, 20.4 Total)
After coming close to winning in UMPL in his first time as a manager, Toto is back to lead the Morpekos to victory in ZUPL. As for the team’s SS players, czim needs no introduction as a veteran of ZU tours and council member. RU tier leader, EviGaro is also a familiar face in ZU team tours, with a great record at last ZUPL and UMPL. AstilCodex is one of ZU’s newest faces who's eager to prove his worth in tournaments. Last but not least, TheFranklin recently started playing ZU, surprisingly reaching the second place in the No Johns tour. Additionally, Jett and btboy should greatly help with the teambuilding and could even get a spot in the lineup in future weeks. A fruitshop owner plays SM for the Morpekos and was unanimously voted as the best SM player in the pool, what comes as no surprise seeing he has been one of the best SM players for a long time and just won the latest SM Cup. Toto plays ORAS for the team, and while he did well reaching semis in the ORAS Cup, he still is a newcomer in the tournament scene, which explains his ranking at 4th. BloodAce is the BW slot and is ranked 3rd in a very strong pool, being in great shape after finishing 2nd in last BW Cup. Finally, DPP is covered by Neomon who received very polarizing votes, with some players thinking he is washed while others believing he is still as good as before, being a wildcard in the pool. Overall, Morpekos have an excellent SM and are solid everywhere else, being playoff contenders.

:ss/oricorio: 1. Fiery Flamencos :ss/oricorio:
(1.4 SS, 2.8 SM, 1.6 ORAS, 4.2 BW, 1 DPP, 15.2 Total)
Durza is once again leading the Flamencos with his acolyte/carrier kay, who will provide great SS teambuilding support to the rest of the team with solid mains such as recent seasonal runner-up daniYSB, and ZU veterans Mirbro and ShwiftyShiftry. In SM, we can find the experienced Rav3, who has proven to be one of the best players in the format over the years and will get support from durza, the self-proclaimed best SM ZU player. In ORAS, the rising star and ORAS Cup winner TWiTT forms a solid duo with watashi, a very potent tournament veteran. In BW, roxiee has been ranked pretty low for their inexperience in the tier and the lack of team support, however they have potential thanks to their solid experience in other tournaments. Finally, Heysup has been one of the best DPP ZU players since ZUPL I and was ranked unanimously best player in the tier. Overall, the Flamencos look like the team to beat in this tournament, and they should pretty easily reach playoffs while aiming to get first seed.

Thanks for reading! I hope everyone has a fun ZUPL! Here's a meme to end the post!

1629822156594.png

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)