A Pokemon Riddle

obi

formerly david stone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'll start with a simple scenario. In this problem, assume all IVs are 31, all natures are neutral, and all EVs are 0. "Barkers" is an unknown Pokemon.

Begin turn 1.
Salamence's Intimidate cut Barkers's Attack.
Trainer withdrew Salamence and sent out Raikou.
Barkers used something.

Begin turn 2.
Raikou used Calm Mind.
Barkers used something. A critical hit. Raikou fainted.
Trainer sent out Pikachu.

Begin turn 3.
Barkers used something.
Pikachu used Substitute.

Begin turn 4.
Barkers used something.
Pikachu used Rain Dance.

Begin turn 5.
Barkers used something. Pikachu's Substitute faded.

The question is: What move is Barkers using ("something" is the same move each time)? As an added challenge, Barkers can be one of two Pokemon. From the following scenario, which one is it?

Begin turn 23.
Player switched in Barkers.
Trainer switched in Pikachu.
Rain continues to fall.

Begin turn 24.
Trainer switched in Mewtwo.
Barkers used Rest.
Rain continues to fall.

Begin turn 25.
Mewtwo used Hidden Power. It's super effective! Barkers fainted.
The rain stopped.

Note: I somewhat gave away the answer on Shoddy, so if I was talking to you on Shoddy earlier, don't give away the answer.

Everstone

Now 100% reliable
is a Contributor Alumnus
At the moment, Low Kick's the only move that comes to mind that would fit.
Most likely candidate is Sudowoodo, judging from the nickname.

Slower than 329, but faster than 279...

Obviously slower than 359...

Must we super weak shit if it died to one Hidden Power. Can't be Ice, Electric, and definitely not fire. Water is a possibility.

Obviously very, very weak if it takes 2 hits to break Pikachu. So Low Kick is a candidate, but definitely not Sudowoodo. Grass Knot is also a possibility, so Celebi here is possible. If it died to one hit from Mewtwo, we could always assume it was Hidden Power Bug, but if it was Celebi, why would it have Rest and not Recover...

Also does the Poke's moveset have to make sense for this? For example I ruled out it being Hidden Power Ice cause Mewtwo could simply use Ice Beam......

This Poke could be Electivire, Electabuzz, Lucario, Primeape if using Low Kick...

It can't be Sudowoodo, since it has to be faster than Pikachu yet slower that Raikou.

Assuming that all IVs are 31 (as stated above), Barkers must be weak to Dark since Mewtwo's Hidden Power is SE against it.

Some more assumptions I'm making, assuming that both battlers are competent:
1. Salamence fears Barkers, while Raikou counters it.
2. "something" is a weak physical attack that fails to break Pikachu's sub after an Intimidate, or Barkers has a low base Attack.
3. Barkers is a wall, or a STalker.

But the big thing here is that it two-hits Raikou with the help of a CH, while it can't knock out a definitely weaker Pikachu's sub in two hits. As of now I don't see any move other than Low Kick or Grass Knot which fits the scenario.

edit: Actually I now see it could be Superpower, Overheat, or Draco Meteor.

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
I doubt that it's Low Kick, mostly because Barkers attempted to use "something" on Salamence, and Salamence obviously wanted nothing to do with it. Also, who would throw Raikou out against any of those Fighting Pokes or Vire?

Tangerine

Where the Lights Are
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
It's a physical attack, and it can't be too weak, since it has to be able to 2hko Raikou who has 95/70 defenses.

Raikou cannot "counter" this since it would be 2hko'd by it - from which I would guess it doesn't have to make sense

Raikou takes a BP 100 attack from Low Kick, while Pikachu would take something miniscule.

I would guess no speed scarf machamp but mewtwo would just use Psychic on it, so Perhaps something frail like Lucario

But then again, what kind of Pikachu uses Substitute+Rain Dance, and why would Pikachu be sent out against something that Salamence was afraid of? And what could possibly 2HKO Raikou, that doesn't fear Salamence, yet can't do shit to Pikachu. I suppose Grass Knot Celebi makes more sense here if we can agree that Mewtwo is carrying Hidden Power Bug.

Also remember, Raikou takes a hit upon switching in, so the following CH doesn't necessarily have to have 2HKO without the CH, but does enough to where it will OHKO originally after the first hit.

Lee

@ Thick Club
It's just occured to me that at no point does it say those moves actually make contact with Pikachu. Perhaps the reason his Sub remained intact is because the attacks missed?

Then he'd have to say it missed. =/ Otherwise we can always assume that every other attack that doesn't KO something missed. So we can have a Heatran somehow amazingly survive 16 Earthquakes from Garchomps cause it was holding brightpowder =/

P.S. After from say a Salamence or Moltres, DM and OH still does like at least 35%~ to Pikachu after -4 =/

But at the time Pikachu had its Sub up, Barkers was already at -6.

Barkers could be the Lati's, Rapidash, Garchomp, Ninetales, Celebi, Shaymin, Salamence, Houndoom, or Arcanine among others.

From this list, I see only Shaymin and Houndoom as possible candidates for using Rest.

Everstone

Now 100% reliable
is a Contributor Alumnus
If the trainer withdrew Salamence, then he probably feared an incoming Draco Meteor. Perhaps that's it?

However, with all those Pokes having a great STAB on those base 140, even after -6, those are still likely to 2HKO Pikachu..........Also Mewtwo had to OHKO it...

Barkers is Wailord!

Celebi and Shaymin seem like the most likely candidates. The rain dance throws it off a little (weakening fire attacks). But the HP Mewtwo makes sense.

@Everstone, at first I thought the same thing. Salamence could have been running from a tie with Flygon. But then no one would switch Raikou into anything that carrys Draco Meteor except possibly Kingdra (even that seems slightly crazy). But it wasn't Kingdra (85) because he's faster than Pikachu (90).

Lee

@ Thick Club
Barkers could be the Lati's, Rapidash, Garchomp, Ninetales, Celebi, Shaymin, Salamence, Houndoom, or Arcanine among others.

From this list, I see only Shaymin and Houndoom as possible candidates for using Rest.
Remember that if Mewtwo does have all 31 IVs as the OP says, then his Hidden Power is Dark. Out of your list, only Celebi and the Latis are weak to Dark. But there's no way Mewtwo can OHKO Celebi or the Latis with HP Dark. :\

I'm guessing Celebi Leaf Storm who did not expect HP Bug from Mewtwo?

Also if this were the answer, I would assume that Mewtwo having 31 IVs was an error on his part...

Anyway there's still the possibility that Barkers was Scarfed! But that would complicate things too much.

Also...all IVs are 31...HPDark...so Mewtwo OHKO'd this...with HPDark..so must be Psychic or Ghost type..

So...did you fuck up Obi?

It could be Manaphy. That would explain the Salamence run, the Raikou and the Pikachu switch in. He was going to sub while Manaphy tail glowed and then hit with Thunder. It also explains the rest while raining.

The only thing missing an explanation would be Hidden Power. So I guess it can't be him either. But as Lee said there's a problem with the 31 iv clue, so who knows.

Meh, Celebi still seems more accurate but it was something that came to me.

dekzeh

B is for BRUTUS
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
Something is Metronome! :P

Ok, I'm joking, I really have no idea what it is.
I even tryed to look at a list of moves etc and I can't seem to think of anything (except Metronome XD).

Edit: It could be something like Physical Kingdra with Sniper, it got intimidated by Mence, who was afraid and switched out from Ice Beam/Dragon move, Raikou didn't take that much damage and thought it was safe to set up and then a Sniper CH should hurt a lot more. But I don't know what move it would use for a 2hko on Pikachu's sub...

well yeah..that would actually fit...do any of the following learn metro?

espeon/gengar/xatu/mrmime/mismagius/lugia/latios/latias/celebi

psychics and ghosts off top of my head in that speed category...

KoA

Sorry, I thought anteaters were real
is an Artist
I believe the pokemon in question (Since you said it could be one of two) are Deoxys Normal form and Deoxys Attack form.

The move being used in the first example is Grass Knot. Grass Knot from either Deoxys 3HKOs Raikou. Since Raikou took the first hit coming in, the second killed it because of the critical. It also 4HKOs Pikachu.

Grass Knot from Deoxys normal does 31.78- 37.69% to 31 IV/ 0 EV Raikou

Grass knot from Deoxys Attack does 37.03- 43.93% to same Raikou, a 3HKO for both.

Grass Knot from Normal Deoxys on a 31 IV/ 0 EV Pikachu: 19.91- 23.7%; No sub breaking here...

Grass Knot from Attack Deoxys: 23.7- 27.96%; Still fails to break a sub assuming minimal damage.

Both forms learn Rest, even though no one uses it, and both get OHKOed by Mewtwo's HP Dark 70.

However, this is only the answer if Raikou is carrying a scarf to outspeed to do a CM, otherwise I'm wrong.

None of them learn metronome except for Mew.

However, this is only the answer if Raikou is carrying a scarf to outspeed to do a CM, otherwise I'm wrong.
Choice item to stat up?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)