CAP 5 CAP 5 - Art Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been tinkering around with the same sort of concept I have in my head of yellowy/orangey/purpley crystals fastened onto pure white bodies by gold bands, and this is what I got so far. I'm not colouring until I know I like the frame ( and if enough others do ), so con/crit would be appreciated.

This was my fist attempt, and I somewhat liked it, although it seems a bit unevolved and I figured it looked too much like Sneasel so I tried again. Then I got this:

...which I actually liked, until I realized it looks like a bit like an Eeveelution. But this is my favourite of what I have so far. Finally, I had the *beginning* of this:

...but I stopped myself before I ended up making a crystal Pikachu.

So I think it's back to the old drawing board for me until I think of something that doesn't look like an already existing Pokémon. But if anyone has any suggestions for improving what I have so far, that's welcome too.

Calabulg, as others have said, I really like your first design for the current concept. It seems more like a Special sweeper than the Gargoyle, and gives you a nice ledge to jump off of.

I am also interested to see what Cartoons! is cooking up for this one... haha.

While creating a pokemon that breaks the mold, it's important to first consider the pokemon that fit into the mold and find out just what it is that makes them what we would expect. When I think rock pokemon, I think brown. From ttar to aero, omastar to cradily, we've got a lot of earth tones. So one thing we can do differently is color. This brown color and the fact that rock is weak to water, grass and fighting also make me think of most rock pokemon as made of particularly crumbly, porous, stone. So another way to break a stereotype is use a different consistency or material. Rock pokemon are also generally quite bulky, both in game wise and with reguards to their appearance. The center of gravity of most rock pokemon appears to be low to the ground and near the chestal region. So we could make a mold breaker that appears a bit spindly in some way.

Anyway, sorry for the wall of text but here are a couple early sketches that I believe convey the concepts I discussed:

As far as a different material/consistency goes, I think shiny black obsidian would be perfect for this CAP. This one eyed spidery looking thing seems cool, if not a bit too metagross-esque. Also, it's a bit too similar to Fidgit for my liking, but it was the first thing I sketched so here it is. I imagine it's single eye to be glowing a hal9000 red, which also sets it apart from most rock types who have sentient-looking eyes.

Here's something I came up with after attempting to make a pokemon out of an arrowhead. Only the head is shown, but maybe that's all it needs; instead of a body, maybe it could just control some orbiting shards or have legs like the spidery guy above, who knows!

Questions and comments are essential, thank you!

Considering the pokemon in question is going to be a glass cannon, and glass is made out of rock (sand), why not have a literal glass cannon? I'd make one, but I can't draw (neither on the computer nor on paper :( )...

I'm all for seeing some precious stone-themed Pokemon, but let's not pigeonhole the special Rock concept just yet.

Figurines and sculptures, particularly feminine ones, can potentially look pretty magicky.

I think cartoons may be on to something here. Limestone, marble... Remember, all these are just quick concept sketches...

How about a venus de milo sphinx catgirl monorock sweeperBRONZOMG
Cerbi01's sphinx looks pretty cool, break off its arms and put it on a floating island of stone.

Ok, so I tried for a cutesy, hoppy little rock Pokemon, and it failed hard.

Taking criticism on board, I 'evolved' it.

I'm not quite sure how to constructively use 'its a shitty little rock, it will never win', but I tried :P

its got more attention than the last CaP art I posted, at least...

eric the espeon

maybe I just misunderstood
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Ok, so I tried for a cutesy, hoppy little rock Pokemon, and it failed hard.

Taking criticism on board, I 'evolved' it.

I'm not quite sure how to constructively use 'its a shitty little rock, it will never win', but I tried :P

its got more attention than the last CaP art I posted, at least...
hmm.. I really like this one... It still looks like it needs to evolve once more maybe.. but it has potential.

Drybones's first one is also very interesting, but a little too close to Metagross for my liking.

One last go, if this fails then damn you Smogon, you've beaten me!

One thing I did notice, as I had all 3 pics up.... I've effectively created an evolutionary line....

One thing I did notice, as I had all 3 pics up.... I've effectively created an evolutionary line....

i really like this one only it looks a little bit to much physical to me becouse of all the claws you use and a little bit more steel then rock

eric the espeon

maybe I just misunderstood
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus

At this early stage.. this is most certainly the one I would go for.

It is clearly a Rock (the gray rocks could be drawn in such a way as to stop it looking like Steel) obviously quite fragile (at least Physically), can be seen as very fast (110+ at least probably), and it really looks like it could use Special Attacks effectively.
It also lets us play around with the movepool to quite a large extent, Punches, Beams ect.. they all work.
It breaks the Mold of rock types being solid as well which is a Plus.

Sure the drawing is not as fancy as some that have been around, but the idea is great!

May I suggest that for the middle evo you give it 2 red eyes, so it goes 1, 2, 3?

Edit: mmm.. it could be Physical, but I think its ambiguous (the claws are floaty, its not like they have muscles or a solid construction) which lets us do what we want.

Caladbolg's ideas definitely look the most appealing at the moment, but I'd love to see something with a gem/crystal theme... that isn't an animal with crystals growing from its back.

Eh, maybe I'll even do a concept myself this time.

K, I went a little over board with this but w/e. Something like a Half-wizard [>.>] Half-Rock thing. The Orange thing could be 1) a bandana or 2) his beard. Brown thing is his cane that dwindles off into the distance behind him... there be more hopefully better though.

And another one. Except I think i've found the basic concept I want... which would be a Rock Ball as this CAP's means of transportation...

As usual, I ask the same important question: About when will this thread close?

(Just need to know so I can push aside my craploads of homework to draw.)

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
As usual, I ask the same important question: About when will this thread close?

(Just need to know so I can push aside my craploads of homework to draw.)
It's the same answer every time -- there is no set closing time for submission threads. Look at the Process Guide and you can see the order of events. Here's a link, if you've never seen the process guide before (it is a sticky). This thread will close immediately before the first art poll opens. That's when it closes on every CAP. If you know the process, and you keep an eye on the progress of other threads, it's easy to figure out when time is running out to make a submission.

K, I went a little over board with this but w/e. Something like a Half-wizard [>.>] Half-Rock thing. The Orange thing could be 1) a bandana or 2) his beard. Brown thing is his cane that dwindles off into the distance behind him... there be more hopefully better though.

And another one. Except I think i've found the basic concept I want... which would be a Rock Ball as this CAP's means of transportation...

I kinda took my idea from the bottom concept you gave an very very poorly illistrated(sp?) it. Though I was thinking, instead of a ball, why not make it like... a wheel of sorts, to show it's speed.

Ok, i have drawn a rough draft of my idea in paint, and will probably draw a sketch later, and upload that.

my basic idea is a rock with a gigantic crystal growing out of it's head with eyes, and a ton of rocks floating around it. it basically uses it's crystal to control the rocks and make them float using telekinesis. it can bring the rocks together to make hands, spikes, anything.

here is my crappy drawing, if anyone wants to sketch it, feel free to go right on ahead.

Good, but as mentioned before, it looks somewhat physical with the claws, although the fact its held together by a mysterious energy makes up for that. The only flaw I see is that theres no defined place where the special attacks come from (e.i. mouth, crystal, eye, ect.) but then agian niether do a lot of special attackers. Cheeta designs also good, I can't wait to see it colored.

Awesome, I had already started my concept art a few days before the art thread came up. I don't know if you guys will like it. I'm still thinking of other ideas. Here it is!

I tried to make this concept art based on a crystal triceratops. Rampardos was the one that gave me an idea of using dinosaurs, so I decided to try one out myself and I'm pretty pleased with the finished product. You may think at first glance this thing can't be speedy nor have high SpA, but it actually could have those stats. It gets its high speed by curling itself into a ball and it basically rolls its way around, or it uses its really powerful legs to run at high speeds. It gets its enourmous SpA from its crystals on its head, horns, and tail. It also gets it from a mysteriously mystical jewel in the middle of its forehead. It gets all its power from the crystals and the jewel to use its special hits. So it all makes sense in the end and I think it's not such a bad idea.

What do you guys think?
Comments please? I'm currently working on my next concept art.

I finally managed to colour my humanoid sphinx using PS, thanks to tuts in deviantart. xD It's my very first colour + (amateur) cel-shading, so I'm rather proud of it. Here it is:

The little dots on its body (if you can see them) are there to make it have an ancient stone statue-ish skin texture. Hopefully that worked. I kinda liked how this turned out. =D Comments please.

Gryphon is a flying creature =/
Cerbi, i like it.
Tha Easter Island creatures sounds nice, but i disagree with the bigger tail idea (cant be heavy...)

cerbi, is there anyway to remove some more of the human elements, like clothing? make it more part of the body, less like something that can be removed. or perhaps make the skirt a loincloth...something about the skirt in particular bothers me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)