new 2009 albums

bunch more:

Bat for Lashes: Two Suns
pretty good. not as genuine or unique as her first, but not a bad release. some parts get a bit boring though, and others a bit annoying. lacks the level of charm and wonder that so enthralled me with Fur & Gold.

The Bird and the Bee: Ray Guns Are Not Just the Future
pretty good, catchy and all that. but there's a lot of songs that serve more to weigh the album down than push it to new heights. the best song on here was previously released on an EP, and sadly few of the remaining tracks are of comparable quality.

Broken Spindles: Kiss/Kick
a let down. pretty dry and boring stuff. but then again, it usually takes me about three years to get in to his albums (that's what it took for each of his previous releases). so i'll let you know in 2012.

Clark: Growl's Garden
fucking awesome. 4.5/5 stars. really odd glitchy bleeps and blops to compliment the great big beats. don't know what else to say except that i'm in love. wish it was a full length.

Depressed Mode: ...For Death...
another 4.5/5 star release. extremely heavy and crushing death doom, with brilliantly interwoven funeral doom sections. lots of strings and keys and piano, which makes for a very textured and full sounding experience. ignore the lame name and check out some sick shit.

Harmonic 313: When Machines Exceed Human Intelligence
a solid album. good glitchy electronics with some trip-hop elements.

Mastodon: Crack the Skye
i've never been a fan of these guys, but this album is pretty good. more progressive and psychedelic than their previous material. still getting a feel for this album and giving it time to sink in and grow on me. i'm very interested in checking out the instrumental version, since the vocals kinda grate on me after a while.

mewithoutYou: It's All Crazy! It's All False! It's All a Dream! It's Alright
woah woah woah. very different from their previous albums, yet grabbing bits and pieces from past works and weaving in very new ideas. this album seems to contain a lot of "growth" in persona. whereas their past releases were all very dark and focued on themes of love lost and the human condition and a general "ok i'm here, now what" attitude, this album is for more positive and almost uplifting. the storytelling is gorgeously executed, and many of the songs have a "parable" feel to them. it'd almost like all the years of asking "WHY!?" have finally garnered some answers, and Weiss is now trying to impart some of the lessons he's learned in the process. this is a quirky and strange album, but absolutely worth taking the time to sink your teeth into.

Nadja: When I See the Sun Always Shine on the TV
a collection of covers ranging from Slayer to Elliot Smith to Aha...needless to say it's an odd mixture of styles across the board. some of them work really well, some of them not so much. an ambitious endeavor nonetheless.

Sólstafir: Kold
a weird mixture of hardcore, metal and Sigur Ros moments. this was hyped up to me big time, so it definitely let me down. hopefully it'll recover some ground in my mind over the next few months.

that's all for now. :nerd:

evan

I did my best -- I have no regrets
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Following Deschain's lead...

Harlem Shakes: Technicolor Health
Everything you've loved about indie pop in the 2000s in one album.

Micachu & the Shapes: Jewellrey
British pop reminiscent of the Fiery Furnaces at time. Production by Matthew Herbert so expect weird noises from unconventional instruments

Bill Callahan: Sometimes I Wish We Were an Eagle
More Drag City rock from Smog/(Smog)/Bill Callahan. Think: Bonnie 'Prince' Billy. He performed at the local record store in Nashville just him and a guitar and it was better than the album which compared has some unnecesary orchestration. Still a worthwhile listen.

Japandroids: Post-Nothing
Sincere, awesome rock. Easily the best "indie rock" (Think: Pavement, Braid) album to come out this year. Engaging hooks, entertaining lyrics, and the perfect summer song in "Wet Hair."

The Paper Chase: Someday This Could All Be Yours Pt. 1
New pAper chAse! Still working my way through the album but... new pAper chAse!

The Felice Brothers: Yonder is the Clock
Roots-rock from upstate New York. Lou Reed/Bob Dylan ballads mixed with Tom Waits rockers with vocalists who can do all three.

M. Ward: Hold Time
Old man music. I've been on a huge M. Ward kick lately and while the new album is not as good as older releases, tracks like "For Beginners" and "Never Had Nobody Like You (feat. Zooey Deschanel)" are a perfect one two punch to open the record.

Wavves: Wavvves
Someone get this man some proper recording equipment okay?

The Love Language: The Love Language
Alright. Mostly fuzzed out rock that has trace elements of Tropicalia. "Lalita" is fucking aces though.

this is what is notable in music

Dunno what the big craze with the new Animal Collective album is, actually if you ask me, I'd say it's kind of terrible. However, Dan Deacon's Bromst and Grizzly Bear's Veckatimest are solid indie albums.

Metal's been sort of a let down so far, but we've got Blut Aus Nord's new effort which is just some great black metal being my #1 09 album. Then there's Finsterforst, hell they use a fucking accordion, you know it's gotta be good (or remarkably bad, but it ends up being good). Solstafir's Kold is hit and miss, but I liked it. I see Deschain mentioning it not living up to its hype, I've never really heard it hyped so maybe thats why I liked it.

http://rateyourmusic.com/list/floydisgod/2009 (there's what I've listened to so far that I feel confident enough to rate)

Dunno what the big craze with the new Animal Collective album is, actually if you ask me, I'd say it's kind of terrible. However, Dan Deacon's Bromst and Grizzly Bear's Veckatimest are solid indie albums.

Metal's been sort of a let down so far, but we've got Blut Aus Nord's new effort which is just some great black metal being my #1 09 album. Then there's Finsterforst, hell they use a fucking accordion, you know it's gotta be good (or remarkably bad, but it ends up being good). Solstafir's Kold is hit and miss, but I liked it. I see Deschain mentioning it not living up to its hype, I've never really heard it hyped so maybe thats why I liked it.

http://rateyourmusic.com/list/floydisgod/2009 (there's what I've listened to so far that I feel confident enough to rate)
it was just on another forum i post at. a bunch of the people there told me i'd really really like it because it was similar to The Angelic Process, whom i adore.

but it really was nothing like that, and i was bummed out about it.

i listened to Kold again today...and the vocals are kinda sub-par. would have been a better record if they'd abstained i think.

also, check out that Depressed Mode album i mentioned, as well as Wolves in the Throne Room.

Altmer

rid this world of human waste
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I know new Dream Theater, new Sonata Arctica and a few more will come this year so even if it's not all that interesting I will be kept busy by those just because Dream Theater and SA are two bands I have loved forever and ever.

Silversun Pickups - Swoon

If you've hear them before and liked it, you'll also like this. Still drawing from the same post-grunge and 90's alternative rock influenced sound, but great none-the-less. Brian's dream-pop voice is amaaazing.

Two Tongues: Two Tongues
I have to say, I love this album. I was intrigued with the concept of putting Say Anything and Saves the Day together with both vocalists sharing the lead, and I was not disappointed. They compliment each other in so many different ways that it's a wonder why they haven't done this before.

I can see many people being put off by Chris Connely's voice, especially how it's been the past few Saves the Day albums, and while I'm on the fence about him, he is an irreplaceable member of this band. If it were not for him this would be a bad Say Anything album instead of a potentially amazing combo effort from two great names in emo/pop rock.
late reaction but who cares

I found Two Tongues to be a bit boring. Say Anything has been going a bit downhill since ...Is a Real Boy, and Two Tongues is far too much like In Defense of the Genre for my taste. Good, just not worth the download.

For anyone who cares, Third Eye Blind is putting out a new album, Ursa Major June 23rd. A few tracks have leaked, you can find those yourself.

Carl

or Varl
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
super furry animals - dark days/light years

it's streaming on their myspace and comes out this tuesday on cd

http://www.myspace.com/superfurry

i like it.. if anyone knows their older stuff and wants to tell me what other albums to get by them i'd appreciate it..

HEALTH has a single out now called die slow which is really sweet, i'm hoping they continue moving in that direction for their album, get color, which is coming out sometime this year

it's got a really cool rhythm to it and it seems like they're moving away from being a slightly worse version of liars!

RED - INNOCEENCE AND INSTINCT is a FANTASTIC Christian Rock Album along with End Of Silence. They have fast rock such as Mystery of You, Forever,(song has to be bought on Itunes), and Shadows and more soulful songs like Ordinary World.

So I am totally pumped about the new releases coming out this year.
1. New PT
2. New The Dear Hunter
3. New Dream Theater
4. New Dredg
5. Possible new Blackfield
6. Possible new Coheed

Holy crap

So I am totally pumped about the new releases coming out this year.
1. New PT
2. New The Dear Hunter
3. New Dream Theater
4. New Dredg
5. Possible new Blackfield
6. Possible new Coheed

Holy crap
I'm pretty much excited for the same stuff too, except I'm also stoked on new The Fall of Troy, Circa Survive, Between the Buried and Me, etc. Big year for a lot of big-ish progressive names.

Mastodon: Crack the Skye
This is some good stuff. New sound for them on it, more Sludge Metal. Overall it was really enjoyable.

Death Cab For Cutie: The Open Door - EP
Good to see some new work from them. Nice sounds still, but not really anything groundbreaking.

I have heard about a new The Strokes album, I am pretty excited about that as First Impressions of Earth was a major let down for me.

what i listened to this year that i really liked
P.O.S-Never Better
Sims- False Hopes 13
Amesoeurs-Amesoeurs
Yeah Yeah Yeah's-Its Blitz!
Blame One- Days Chasing Days
Animal Collective- Merriweather Post Pavilion
K'naan-Troubadour

norulz

excellent
super furry animals - dark days/light years

it's streaming on their myspace and comes out this tuesday on cd

http://www.myspace.com/superfurry

i like it.. if anyone knows their older stuff and wants to tell me what other albums to get by them i'd appreciate it..
Rings Around the World is what you should get next, it's a great Super Furry Animals album. I enjoyed Dark Days/Light Years though to be honest I haven't given it that much attention.

Gomez's A New Tide was also decent, though it didn't really stick because I'm not that much into Gomez anymore, and their new album isn't as good as their older stuff.

Also not sure if anyone here even knows them or has mentioned them, but Fightstar got a new album out called Be Human, it came out in April 20th, and I learned about it accidentally while checking out their wikipedia page. It's by far the best album of 2009 I've discovered, if anyone here is up for a music recommendation, check it out.

And waiting for dredg's album The Pariah, the Parrot, the Delusion, heard some songs ("Saviour", "I Don't Know", "Information") and from what I've heard they won't go back to their best style, El Cielo's, but they've definitely improved in terms of Catch Without Arms.

bumping this thread because the new dredg leaked, and i wouldn't mind hearing people's opinions on it before i download it.

norulz

excellent
bumping this thread because the new dredg leaked, and i wouldn't mind hearing people's opinions on it before i download it.
this is awesome, downloading now

extra it's really hard to give you an insight on the album without knowing what previous (if any) album you were into, dredg's style has been varying a lot through the years

edit: I should have The Pariah, the Parrot, the Delusion in about 35~45 minutes

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
I heard a song on satellite radio at the gym, it was pretty fucking good.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)