Official TPCI Pokemon Tournament 2009 | Congrats to all who participated!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going all the way down to London for the UK tourney- it's in the midst of my exams but meh I'll only lose a day or two of revision before my maths paper 2 which isn't a massive deal.

I'm using an entire team of shinies which I've torsojuked, which should help- opponents could get distracted by thinking "Hey, these have to be hacked..." etc instead of focusing on the battling. Right now my team is Dusknoir, Qwilfish, Kingdra and Toxicroak while I'll use subs of Yanmega and something else which I haven't thought of yet. My team's looking good though- Qwilfish is an absolute beast with rain support. I'm only worried about taunting leads which thankfully don't seem to be so common.

imperfectluck

Banned deucer.
I really don't feel like driving all the way down from Phoenix, Arizona to California all by myself without even a 100% chance of getting in. Anyone in the area interested in putting a carpool together let me know.

I have a really really really big favor to ask for any person going to Phoenix next week.

I was wondering if anybody let my friend and I stay in someone's house for that weekend. Preferrably anybody I know close through Smogon, or anyone that is hospitable... My friend is from San Diego and I am coming from Los Angeles, so it's gonna be a long trek for this one. My friend won't be able to go if he doesn't have a place to stay. I know its a pretty big favor to ask, but I promise we won't be a hassle whatsoever. If anyone in the Phoenix area is interested, let me know. Thank you in advance.

makiri

My vast and supreme will shall be done!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past SPL Championis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
omni get on AIM!!!

Also nice to see Berton a top 8 at LA last year is going to St Louis.

So I have a question (first time on Smog forums), in the tournament, are moves like DynamicPunch allowed on Machamp since I had both parents learn it? Sorry for the noobish question.

First time at a tournament, and I was thinking of running a no guard Machamp, but I'll drop it if I cant use DP.Also anyone know the participation rate in Texas? I think it'd be low, but I dunno..

Well, it seems today is quite the day for the n00bs to appear... >_>;;

But my question: do they record the wristband number/participant name as to keep track of who has what wristband??

I'll be at the SF tourney and can't shake the idea that dumb luck favors those who care the least.

Well, it seems today is quite the day for the n00bs to appear... >_>;;

But my question: do they record the wristband number/participant name as to keep track of who has what wristband??

I'll be at the SF tourney and can't shake the idea that dumb luck favors those who care the least.
nope. if you plan on entering 20 of your friends, and then just slipping on a winning wristband, i don't see how they would object.

Oh wow, good to know.
So wait, what's this about some wristband?
Anybody want to explain this to me?
When you register, you get a wristband with a number (and the pokemon corosponding. #25 pikachu, #150 Mewtwo etc)

then, they will pick 128 pokemon. what slimceagirl is wondering is if i got 20 friends to register. if their number/pokemon is called, they just swap wristbands and then able to play.

Team Rocket Elite

Data Integration Thought Entity
is a Top Researcher Alumnus
They don't record which wristband to give to each person. However, the wristbands are considered non-transferable. If they find out you gave your wristband to someone else, you will get DQ'd. It would be difficult to remove your wristband and give it to someone else without stretching or cutting it. Stretching and cutting were given as specific examples of what they were looking for to see if it was tampered with. There could be other hidden security features that were not stated.

They don't record which wristband to give to each person. However, the wristbands are considered non-transferable. If they find out you gave your wristband to someone else, you will get DQ'd. It would be difficult to remove your wristband and give it to someone else without stretching or cutting it. Stretching and cutting were given as specific examples of what they were looking for to see if it was tampered with. There could be other hidden security features that were not stated.
What he said

I thought that you could pre-register and after that there was a lottery to see who would fill the place of anyone who registered but didn't show.

Yeti

dark saturday
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
I have incredibly tiny wrists and hands and I couldn't slide the wristband off. They put it on for you and they make it as tight as possible so you can't get it off, or lose it.

If you were able to get the wristband off your selected friend's wrist and onto yours, you'd have to have almost identical wrist sizes or they would be able to tell it's been tampered with, I'd imagine.

@ Siddarth, yeah you get a number/Pokemon and they draw 128 from the total entries. If you aren't drawn, you can't battle. So if someone who has no clue what they're doing gets drawn and you don't, tough luck.
Nobody's assured getting in except that one guy at the San Francisco tourney. I don't think there's anything you can do to boost your odds either, except entering your friends but if they all get drawn instead of other people, well, that was sort of a waste of spots.

Wow, that's fucking gay. So wait, if my Mom was to make it instead of me, could I stand next to her during all the matches and have her battle for me?

There are several smogoners attending the San Francisco stop, including:

-POKEMONBATTLEBRAIN
-The Fish King
-batpig
-TheForgottenSoul
-ultimatedra
-Metabou
-Deaglebeagle
Im basically going to lose. I haven't had time to make my team, but I am going to try to all throughout Thursday and Friday. I am so happy that Thursday is my last day of school!

Team Rocket Elite

Data Integration Thought Entity
is a Top Researcher Alumnus
Omg, so there's a lottery just to enter playing?

Yep. At Seattle there was a roughly 40% chance the guy who won would not have even had a chance to play his first match.

I thought that you could pre-register and after that there was a lottery to see who would fill the place of anyone who registered but didn't show.

Nope no pre-reg. Everybody who wants in registers on the day of the event then the lottery is held.

I don't think there's anything you can do to boost your odds either, except entering your friends but if they all get drawn instead of other people, well, that was sort of a waste of spots.

It would increase the chance that someone you know gets in but that would actually lower your own chances.

So wait, if my Mom was to make it instead of me, could I stand next to her during all the matches and have her battle for me?

Honestly, I don't remember them saying there's a rule against outside help. However, I seriously doubt it's actually allowed.

See, I am just going to give my brother (11) a team identical to my own and teach him how to use it. How did the Juniors' Division look in the previous ones?

Could someone help me with my team? Someone thats not going to SF. It would mean a lot to me!

Alaka

formerly Alakapimp
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
thats what im planning to do, in the process of teaching my brother what to do so he can win a trip for me

ΩDonut

don't glaze me bro
is a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I really don't feel like driving all the way down from Phoenix, Arizona to California all by myself without even a 100% chance of getting in. Anyone in the area interested in putting a carpool together let me know.
My fellow Arizonans, the Californians are invading our state next week. This is our chance to make a pre-emptive strike.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)