Official TPCI Pokemon Tournament 2009 | Congrats to all who participated!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I also have a question, were there more juniors or seniors that showed up? I would think more Juniors would since it is "Pokemon," at JAA there were tons of little kids so I was just wondering.

Team Rocket Elite

Data Integration Thought Entity
is a Top Researcher Alumnus
Seniors by far. There were about 220 seniors registered. The Junior tournament didn't fill up so there were less than 128. While it is Pokemon, it's going to be the older players that are more interested in a serious tournament.

Team Rocket Elite

The Junior who used that Hail team actually had his last 4 matches displayed on the TV. I only managed to record the last one but for the most part they were all pretty similar. He started with Abomasnow and Walrein and spammed Blizzard. If one of them got KO'd he sent out Gengar and finished the job. All 4 of his opponents chose a bunch of Ice weak Pokemon for the fight so he completely stomped his opponents.

So he got lucky, my guess is, he saw an Infernape or two starting he'd be owned. The Smeargle Noir/Zong would own him too. He's kinda lucky he didnt go againts any Metagross or Zong I guess. If he had an infernape, his team would be pretty awesome. Dont think anyone got to see his 4th pokemon though O___o

About 2/3 of the people knew what they where doing i would say.
Now just to clarify...did they know what they were doing, as in they were competent battlers, or did they know what they were doing as in solely reading stuff off the internet? I mean, any noob with internet access can learn to EV train and stuff, but it takes someone of a higher skill to be able to plan properly and actually use a team.

Now just to clarify...did they know what they were doing, as in they were competent battlers, or did they know what they were doing as in solely reading stuff off the internet? I mean, any noob with internet access can learn to EV train and stuff, but it takes someone of a higher skill to be able to plan properly and actually use a team.
i would say that 2/3 of the people who got in knew what they where doing. the other 1/3 where n00s or internet readers without practice.

Yeti

dark saturday
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
i thought they gave out different color rist bands too along with numbers and pokemon
From what I saw, no, they were all white with red writing. Or maybe black writing idr now. Mine had SEA written in red sharpie on it which I assume stands for the city.
They were all the same, just a different number.

Team Rocket Elite

After registering in the Senior division, you got a White wrsitband with a Pokemon name and number on it. If you were selected you got an additional blue wristband. I'm not sure what colour the junior division wristbands were. There was also a guest wristband that was green. The guest wristbands were supposed to be used to identify friends and family of the competitors. I asked what the guest wristbands were for but I don't reeally remember any more. I think it was if the event started to fill to capacity, people with guest wristbands would be given priority for staying.

After registering in the Senior division, you got a White wrsitband with a Pokemon name and number on it. If you were selected you got an additional blue wristband. I'm not sure what colour the junior division wristbands were. There was also a guest wristband that was green. The guest wristbands were supposed to be used to identify friends and family of the competitors. I asked what the guest wristbands were for but I don't reeally remember any more. I think it was if the event started to fill to capacity, people with guest wristbands would be given priority for staying.
people with guest wristbands could sit in the finalest lounge with their friend who made it into the finals.

Yea I realized that Dark Void wasn't really necessary at that point. As for Shadow Sneak, that would act before Endeavor, so I wouldn't be able to KO anything in one turn.

As for that last battle, I'll be writing about it in my warstory. I made a couple missteps and had a little bad luck. It would have been nice to win for the prestige and the plaque-ish thing, but I'm just happy I get that free trip to Nellyville.

My warstory just got deleted by the way (fucking Safari), so I'll rewrite it and post it tomorrow.

My team was as follows:

Dusknoir
Level 50 @ Chesto Berry
Sassy - Pressure
~Trick Room
~Will-o-Wisp
~Psych Up
~Shadow Punch

Smeargle
Level 1 @ Focus Sash
Brave - Own Tempo
~Fake Out
~Protect
~Dark Void
~Endeavor

Snorlax
Level 50 @ Sitrus Berry
Brave - Thick Fat
~Belly Drum
~Body Slam
~Crunch
~Self-destruct

Spiritomb
Level 50 @ Lum Berry
Careful - Pressure
~Psych Up
~Shadow Sneak
~Sucker Punch
~Pain Split

Hey diesel just in your opinion what are your thoughts on the battles you had at the regionals? Besides the final, did any of the matches make you sweat a little? what about the competition you had, were they on the same caliber as you(before & after top 16)

Lastly how does it feel to have a guaranteed spot at nationals??!! and did they give you your travel award yet???

THNX Redspyda

Expert Evan

every battle has a smell!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
If Seattle got around 256, I can expect Philadelphia may get 1000 which will reduce our chances of even participating. I will probably make a last minute decision to make the drive there depending on how ready we feel our teams are at the time.

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy
If Seattle got around 256, I can expect Philadelphia may get 1000 which will reduce our chances of even participating. I will probably make a last minute decision to make the drive there depending on how ready we feel our teams are at the time.

Woah, woah,...

I don't follow your math? 1000?!?!?!? Really?!?!?

Woah, woah,...

I don't follow your math? 1000?!?!?!? Really?!?!?
Seattle has around 590,000. Philadelphia has around 1,400,000. Also remember Washington D.C. has around 600,000, there will be a lot of Canadians, and there are 12,000,000 in Greater New York (The area around the City).

I predict 1200 seniors, and possibly 1000 juniors. I don't think the Valley Forge Convention Center has enough room to fit 2200 competitors and their family+friends. TPCi is trying to fit everyone into 2 rooms...

I would go to this but I like my AR too much ;__;

Gosh, how hard is it to train a team of four and get good HP and whatnot without being able to use fast hatch and stuff? x_____x

Yeti

dark saturday
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
If Seattle got around 256, I can expect Philadelphia may get 1000 which will reduce our chances of even participating.
Nah 256 is much too high. Seniors maxed at 220 or less, unless you're counting seniors and juniors together.

I wasn't sure if we'd have a full 128. :/ Guess I underestimated by 90 or so people.

Mendokuse, it isn't that hard. It's fairly easy to trade for some good IV/nature lv 1 Pokemon that are already bred, and if you get the power items and Pokerus for EV training it flies by. The Battle Zone or whatever the island's called in Platinum makes leveling up the Pokemon to 50 a breeze.
Admittedly, several Pokemon don't have access to their key moves until after level 50, but it's easy to make do.

Tyler

No Longer Live
won the 1st Smogon VGC Tournament
I don't know if any of you want to know this or care but I just recieved an email from the pokemon vgc customer service and it says platinum move tutors are allowed for the European events.

I don't know if any of you want to know this or care but I just recieved an email from the pokemon vgc customer service and it says platinum move tutors are allowed for the European events.
That is good to know! i bet everybody who will be playing in europe will be happy to hear this.

Seattle has around 590,000. Philadelphia has around 1,400,000. Also remember Washington D.C. has around 600,000, there will be a lot of Canadians, and there are 12,000,000 in Greater New York (The area around the City).

I predict 1200 seniors, and possibly 1000 juniors. I don't think the Valley Forge Convention Center has enough room to fit 2200 competitors and their family+friends. TPCi is trying to fit everyone into 2 rooms...
@ExpertEvan and Mosquitox216

imagine that all that counting was for nothing and only 200+ people actually make it.lol

also so far no 1st place smogon winners? im hoping to see some next tourny, ^_^

@ExpertEvan and Mosquitox216

imagine that all that counting was for nothing and only 200+ people actually make it.lol

also so far no 1st place smogon winners? im hoping to see some next tourny, ^_^
It is too bad i will be winning in Cali. no freaking lame miss hax this time around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)