Official TPCI Pokemon Tournament 2009 | Congrats to all who participated!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most likely. From what I heard a lot of people are either going to nashville or Philly.
No, there's only 9 people from the internet confirmed going to Nashville (2 more than Seattle), but think about the population of the area surrounding each city. According to Wikipedia, Seattle is the 24th largest city in the US (594,210 people with a density per mile squared of 6,714.8), and Nashville is the 25th largest city (590,807 people with density of only 1,152.6). Thus, I don't think there will be too much of a difference in attendence between the two areas, and there may even be less in Nashville. The state population of Washington is 6,549,224, and the state population of Tennessee is 6,214,888. Also remember that a lot of people came from a long way to go to the Seattle regional (for example, several people came from Canada). I'm not so sure as many people will travel a long distance to go to Nashville, but maybe I'm wrong and I'm just being too optimisitc for my own chances of even getting selected to be in the tournament :/

even though i cant attend showdown i still wish the best of luck to all my friends that i have made because of this thread. also i want ot see as many vids and pics as possible.

Yeti

dark saturday
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
No, there's only 9 people from the internet confirmed going to Nashville (2 more than Seattle), but think about the population of the area surrounding each city. According to Wikipedia, Seattle is the 24th largest city in the US (594,210 people with a density per mile squared of 6,714.8), and Nashville is the 25th largest city (590,807 people with density of only 1,152.6). Thus, I don't think there will be too much of a difference in attendence between the two areas, and there may even be less in Nashville. The state population of Washington is 6,549,224, and the state population of Tennessee is 6,214,888. Also remember that a lot of people came from a long way to go to the Seattle regional (for example, several people came from Canada). I'm not so sure as many people will travel a long distance to go to Nashville, but maybe I'm wrong and I'm just being too optimisitc for my own chances of even getting selected to be in the tournament :/
Most of Washington's population is within an hour of Seattle. Anything on the east side of Lake Washington has easy access to the city. Spokane is 6 hours away and that's probably the only other BIG population area in the state. I'm not sure how Tennessee's population is distributed but most of ours is in Seattle's county.
Depending on what area of Canada I'd say it's a 2-4 hour drive. You can take one-day round-trip ferry rides from some cities in Canada to Seattle and still have almost all of the day to do whatever. If you're coming from the east coast, well, that's a 7 hour flight or so.

Milotic is not Mystery Gift, and you can't get two unless you have two NA Platinums for some reason. They check to see if it's Japanese/DP. I'm not entirely sure what they do if you have a DSi since they can't plug in the cart so I assume they have some spare DSes since they just ask you for the Plat cart.

To get to the Top 16/finalists you had to win 3 battles [128 -> 64 -> 32], then 16 -> 8 -> 4 -> 2.
I'm sure they could've reworked it so everyone could've had a chance to play, or at least so people who knew what was going on and what they were doing and wanted to get a spot in Nationals would've had priority.

If I fly down to San Francisco next weekend I'll keep you guys posted on that too. Then I'll have 2 of the Milotics haha.

Team Rocket Elite

Data Integration Thought Entity
is a Top Researcher Alumnus
1) Did you see your opponents' team sheets beforehand, or were the team sheets just for the referees' reference?

No. They were just for referee reference.

how many battles were there to get to battle in the finals?

There were 128 people so you needed 7 wins to get first place. 5 wins were needed for 4th place and a spot in the Nationals.

Timewise they were pretty much always ahead of scendule. It should be possible to squeeze in an extra round to let 256 people in and maybe even another round to hit 512. I'm not sure if they can change the rules to do that, though. If a ton of people show up, they might consider it.

I'm not sure how Tennessee's population is distributed but most of ours is in Seattle's county.
The attendance will still be roughly the same as the Seattle one. The only real factor that will be different is that Memphis and the Eastern TN suburbs are about 3-4 hours away from Nashville. This means that there is not going to be as many 14-17 year old kids that are going to be dropped off for the day. If 100 local people out of 590,807 show up, then the tourney will be crowded.

Team Rocket Elite

Another quick tourney question, did you have to come with the Team Sheet filled out or did they give you one if you are called in to play?

You are supposed to fill it out before you register. They have blank sheets on site, but I suggest printing out a copy and filling it out before you get there. If your team isn't quite done and registration is about to close, go register. I saw a guy who was just a moment late getting to registration and he wasn't allowed in. I saw someone who registered with a team that was close but not quite done and a half filled out Team Info Sheet and he was let in and allowed to finish filling out the Team Info Sheet later.

TheFourthChaser

#TimeForChange
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Thanks, since I got tourney this weekend I have one more question. How many battlers actually knew what they were doing? How many teams in the Senior division worked and how many were completley random teams?

Team Rocket Elite

It's hard to say. The battles were mostly on DS so I only saw a very small fraction of the battles. My brother was the one who actually played in the tournament. His first opponent used OU Pokemon but went down pretty quickly so I'm not sure if they were EV trained or not. Second opponent used a solid Rain Dance team and was defintely EV trained. The opponent seemed pretty competent as well. His third opponent used several high speed sweepers but got locked down by Dark Void early on in the battle and had no Lum/Chesto Berry. He was caught off guard by the lack of Sleep Clause. Actually I overheard a couple other people who won 2 or 3 battles aslo say they were caught off guard by the lack of sleep clause. My brother's 4th opponent had a Mismagius with Hidden Power Fighting. I think it's safe to say he EV trained. This person's strategy was mostly speed sweeping as well. My brother's 5th opponent was David. I knew him from previous events and know he knew what he was doing. David used a Trick Room team. My brother narrowly lost this battle to finish in the Top 8. Most of the other Top 16 finishers I met were competent. Supposedly one of them didn't EV train and got to the Top 16 by getting lucky, though. From what I heard from other people, the opponents my brother fought were stronger than average. There were defintely a few people who were Round 1 or Round 2 fodder. It's around the Top 16 when the fodder is weeded out.

oh..duhh, where would you find a Darkai to copy the move?
Pretty much anybody could get their hands on a Darkrai with Shadows of Almia or similar. Hell, all you would have to do is borrow one, Sketch Dark Void, trade it back, and that's it. With Wifi, events aren't that hard to get.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)