Syclant Playtesting

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a little surprised to not hear anyone using one of the best moves in DPP, U-Turn. I'm currently trying out a Syclant set with Mountaineer (so it can come in multiple times), Ice Beam, Bug Buzz, Earth Power and U-Turn. U-Turning to Magnezone as Scizor comes in is pretty cool, and Syclant is too easy to revenge kill to stay in, stat-up and sweep anyway, in my opinion.
I used that same set as well. I assume it was Choice Specs? I was very impressed by its power and scouting.

I'm currently testing another set though.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Some observations:

I don't use U-turn so I can use a Hidden Power (I'm keeping which one I use secret for now). Scarf Syclant has been doing pretty well for a revenge killer; I've been playing cautiously with it since its so frail. Sometimes its power is lacking, but it's been doing a fine job otherwise.

Stellarvap was doing very good in this metagame (and I'm going to try it in OU soon!), but I was forced to replace it due to an unfortunate Porygon2 weakness (go figure).

I haven't tried the lead yet, but I haven't seen any yet either.

Scarf Rotom is a bitch to handle, and so is the overabundance of scarfed Pokemon in general. They're able to overwhelm the opponent through sheer force normally.

Wow, only just saw my first rotom after about 40 matches. Machamp took it out with payback.
Syclant needs to have 100% accurate blizzard, as it needs the power and can't afford a miss. The choice between mountanear and hail support or compound eyes and spin support was tough, but I eventually decided on spin. Abamasnow was sucking and I decided to use another move that uses the accuracy boost. I'm not gonna say what it is, both for the surprise in battle and the fact that it's gimmicky, so people may laugh at it, but if it turns out to work, I'll post it later.

More observations:

I've seen people use a Swords Dance version of Syclant, but it had U-turn instead of X-Scissor which I thought was pretty unique. With no Stealth Rock fear, U-turn actually makes a pretty nice move if Syclant is up against a bad switch in, like Swampert for example. I thought that set is pretty good, much like SD Scizor with U-turn. I'll have to try that on one of my teams and further test it, but so far, it worked against me.

I have started using a stall-based team as some of you know if you have fought me. I realized that Spikes and Toxic Spikes really drain out Syclant's means of switching in and out. Also, stall has really been successful and I don't have a lot of trouble using it. I also found out that Tentacruel is an awesome counter to Syclant since it resists both of its STAB moves, has awesome SpD, and can survive a +2 Earth Power and can retaliate back with Surf, which does dent Syclant due to its lack of defenses. I don't know why it's not mentioned in the Counters section, since it can be a slight hassle.

Even though I'm planning on testing Syclant with SD/U-turn, I'm also planning on trying out a SD/Mix set, something like Swords Dance/Brick Break/X-Scissor/Blizzard or something like that. It can be a pretty nasty wall breaker.

This is to Umbreon Dan:

1. FUZZNIP (1,555.15)
2. UMBREON DAN (1,551.84)
3. BEEJ (1,539.88)
4. ZARATOR (1,518.95)
5. MINETFIBER (1,513.47)
Your Playtest Rank: 1

:)

More observations:

I've seen people use a Swords Dance version of Syclant, but it had U-turn instead of X-Scissor which I thought was pretty unique. With no Stealth Rock fear, U-turn actually makes a pretty nice move if Syclant is up against a bad switch in, like Swampert for example. I thought that set is pretty good, much like SD Scizor with U-turn. I'll have to try that on one of my teams and further test it, but so far, it worked against me.

I have started using a stall-based team as some of you know if you have fought me. I realized that Spikes and Toxic Spikes really drain out Syclant's means of switching in and out. Also, stall has really been successful and I don't have a lot of trouble using it. I also found out that Tentacruel is an awesome counter to Syclant since it resists both of its STAB moves, has awesome SpD, and can survive a +2 Earth Power and can retaliate back with Surf, which does dent Syclant due to its lack of defenses. I don't know why it's not mentioned in the Counters section, since it can be a slight hassle.

Even though I'm planning on testing Syclant with SD/U-turn, I'm also planning on trying out a SD/Mix set, something like Swords Dance/Brick Break/X-Scissor/Blizzard or something like that. It can be a pretty nasty wall breaker.

This is to Umbreon Dan:

1. FUZZNIP (1,555.15)
2. UMBREON DAN (1,551.84)
3. BEEJ (1,539.88)
4. ZARATOR (1,518.95)
5. MINETFIBER (1,513.47)
Your Playtest Rank: 1

:)
Just a comment on trying mixed. It's superb with Blizzard but you'll need Hail or Compound Eyes, both of which are a bit much to force since you'll then need a spinner or Abomasnow. If you do pack a spinner, be sure to use other pokemon who can benefit from it, like Gyarados, Salamence or even Ninjask (who can pass you speed and SD, letting you maybe pack another move like Earth Power). If you don't use Blizzard and opt for Ice Beam, Syclant is a bit too weak Specially to merit a mixed set.

I hope that helps since I tried the same set to only decent results, but you are a better player than me so...yeah, go for it haha.

beej

everybody walk the dinosaur
is a CAP Contributor Alumnus
I've been using a Tail Glow Syclant team with Skarmory for Spikes support, and it's been very successful. A lot of things that are put on a team specifically to handle Syclant really can't do so after some Spikes damage (including Scizor, who can be destroyed by just continually walling it with Skarm and letting the Spikes do their job). In addition, Skarmory makes a surprisingly good check for Syclant, provided it doesn't have a Tail Glow under its belt. It isn't OHKO'd by unboosted Life Orb Ice Beam, pretty much walls any other set and can KO back with Brave Bird.

Another incredibly useful player in this metagame, moreso than usual, is CB Tyranitar. A lot of people are using scarfers with Fire moves to protect themselves from Syclant sweeps, which gives Tyranitar a perfect opportunity to switch in and Pursuit them (which really does a number on Rotom and Ape in particular). Its great SpD also allows it to handle specially-based Syclants to an extent and, in the event that it switches into the surprisingly popular Scarf Syclant, can also Pursuit that to death.

It seems that U-turn and Mountaineer are the true distinguishing factors between Syclant and Weavile.

With this in mind, has anyone tried a Scizor-like CB set? I'm surprised this isn't in the analysis.

I imagine that it would be pretty good.

Something like:

Syclant @ Choice Band
Jolly
Mountaineer
4HP/252Atk/252Spe
U-turn
Ice Shard / Ice Punch
Brick Break
Rock Slide / Crunch / whatever

Outspeed stuff, come in for free, do the normal CB scizor stuff, but with 115 speed and SR immunity. Haven't tried this yet but it SOUNDS good. You could even put a random special move on there and change the nature I suppose, or use less speed to outspeed specific threats. The problem is that CB Scizor has a higher base power priority and Superpower over Brick Break as well as Pursuit, making it much more versatile. The thing is that CB scizor generally only uses bullet punch on DD Tyranitar, Azelf, Gengar, Alakazam (lol) and Mence on Outrage. On everything else it will usually uturn or superpower, and occasionallu may use pursuit even on the majority of this list. Syclant can only kill Mence. Lacking Pursuit, as well as pseudo-STAB on it is really the killer here, as that would kill most of the other pokes on that list, and really what makes it inferior to Weavile or Scizor unless you are playing a sweeper set. Utilize the speed, as that is really the only advantage over Scizor, and utilize U-turn as that differentiates it from Weavile. In many ways, Syclant is like Heracross. No matter what set you use it is almost completely overshadowed by either Lucario or Scizor, and Syclant is in the same position between Weavile and Scizor, although it has its advantages over both, including a better SpA stat.

It is unlikely that this set will break Syclant as it did to Scizor. The fact that Scizor does almost the same job means that there is already a monstrous amount of metagaming against this set, so try and use it differently.

btw that comment that Umbreon Dan posted was mine lol, though I should have mentioned the lack of pursuit (and STAB on dark attacks) that makes it worse against Latias, Azelf, Gengar, Alakazam, etc. compared to Weavile.

bugmaniacbob

Was fun while it lasted
is an Artist Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Mmm... I've been trying a Mixant with Tail Glow for a bit, it worked reasonably well, but the only time I actually managed to get a Tail Glow off was on a sleeping Metagross. Even then it was immediately stopped by the switch-in. In my opinion, it just doesn't have the defences or typing to avoid faster pokemon descending on it and wiping it out with super-effective moves. I still believe that, with a bit of breaking in perhaps, that Syclant can still perform adequately as a mixed sweeper or wallbreaker Infernape-esque. The lead idea is certainly interesting, I ought to try it out.

Plus

中国风暴 trademark
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
It seems that U-turn and Mountaineer are the true distinguishing factors between Syclant and Weavile.

With this in mind, has anyone tried a Scizor-like CB set? I'm surprised this isn't in the analysis.

I imagine that it would be pretty good.

Something like:

Syclant @ Choice Band
Jolly
Mountaineer
4HP/252Atk/252Spe
U-turn
Ice Shard / Ice Punch
Brick Break
Rock Slide / Crunch / whatever

Outspeed stuff, come in for free, do the normal CB scizor stuff, but with 115 speed and SR immunity. Haven't tried this yet but it SOUNDS good. You could even put a random special move on there and change the nature I suppose, or use less speed to outspeed specific threats. The problem is that CB Scizor has a higher base power priority and Superpower over Brick Break as well as Pursuit, making it much more versatile. The thing is that CB scizor generally only uses bullet punch on DD Tyranitar, Azelf, Gengar, Alakazam (lol) and Mence on Outrage. On everything else it will usually uturn or superpower, and occasionallu may use pursuit even on the majority of this list. Syclant can only kill Mence. Lacking Pursuit, as well as pseudo-STAB on it is really the killer here, as that would kill most of the other pokes on that list, and really what makes it inferior to Weavile or Scizor unless you are playing a sweeper set. Utilize the speed, as that is really the only advantage over Scizor, and utilize U-turn as that differentiates it from Weavile. In many ways, Syclant is like Heracross. No matter what set you use it is almost completely overshadowed by either Lucario or Scizor, and Syclant is in the same position between Weavile and Scizor, although it has its advantages over both, including a better SpA stat.

It is unlikely that this set will break Syclant as it did to Scizor. The fact that Scizor does almost the same job means that there is already a monstrous amount of metagaming against this set, so try and use it differently.

btw that comment that Umbreon Dan posted was mine lol, though I should have mentioned the lack of pursuit (and STAB on dark attacks) that makes it worse against Latias, Azelf, Gengar, Alakazam, etc. compared to Weavile.
Well, have you tried it? Syclant is terrible at switching in, with barely any resistances to boot. At least Scizor's steel typing and decent bulk allows it to switch in and threaten, while Syclant can only do the latter. That's why it's used as a revenge killer, not as a mere shadow of Scizor, which outclasses Syclant tenfold in that department.

Bobtheball4

CAP Playtesting Expert
Syclant (M) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Mountaineer
EVs: 6 HP/252 Spd/252 SAtk
Timid nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Ice Beam
- Bug Buzz
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power [Fire]

I've actually been using this sashed set in my team, and i'ts doing great. having sash+HPfire is great as it can always(barring spikes) revenge kill scizors and other syclants as they expect it an easy kill with bullet punch or a SD/tail glow powered attack. Other people just think it's an easy kill until they see that it survives and shoots back with a fire attack OHKOing it. But this also is countered by snorlax and swamperts and some others if they're at full health, but other then that, it does great.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Tail Glow Syclant is dangerous, but I can never get a Tail Glow in, and whenever I do, Scizor/Scarftran. I would have tried Scarf Magnezone but I absolutely hate using it. I always felt that Syclant was a total waste of a team slot but whatever. I have a feeling everyone's going to be a lot happier tomorrow when we don't have to use Syclant anymore!

Seconding that Syclant is a wasted slot. No staying power, no switchin opportunities, beaten by so many common things easily. I don't know how he was before the Platinum metagame but he evidently doesn't fit here very well at all.

The only thing it really has going for it is U-turn, but it still can't switch into jack diddly to abuse it with, unlike Scizor. And since it can't really abuse U-turn properly on Choice Scarf (which enjoy the move the most), I'd rather use Porygon-Z to be honest. I haven't tried Specs but I have a feeling that most diminishing factors still apply.

Syclant is a mediocre lead too; it doesn't necessarily stop the opposing lead and/or get momentum going like a lead should do. Moveslot syndrome doesn't help its case.

Standard stat-up/4-move is pretty bad since, despite his speed, many scarfed Pokemon still beat him and he's weak to the most common priority move in the game.

The only way Syclant can really shine is if its revenge-killers are out of the way. This is why people should start using Choice Scarf Magnezone to get rid of Bullet Punch Scizor and Extremespeed Lucario. Magnezone is pretty much a great a partner for Syclant. Once they're gone, Syclant can sometimes put the hurt in most teams.

As far as removing a sweepers counters go, it's much easier to build a team around SD Luke or SD Scizor than Tail Glow Syclant.

One thing I tried was using Syclant in confunction with SubPetaya Empoleon, with the idea of luring Scizor into locking itself into Bullet Punch and going for the Agility sweep. Unfortunately, I've never been any good at using Empoleon, so I had no success. Besides, Dragon Dance Tyranitar does this better.

Umbreon Dan just reminded me, I've testing using Umbreon as a set-up Pokemon for Syclant. Using a moveset of Mean Look / Yawn / Baton Pass, I could easily achieve 1-2 Tail Glows/Swords Dances and attempt to sweep a team from there because the opponent will be asleep and trapped. It's best to use this combo late-game once it's revenge-killers are gone.

It has been working, but can be slightly difficult to pull off depending on who Umbreon traps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)