The Everything NFL Thread - 2009

This situation was pretty similar to a playoff game I remember for the chargers where they were in field goal range on 3rd and long. Instead of trying for the field goal on 3rd down they made some bad pass play that gained no yards, and then missed the field goal and lost the game.

Now it's 3rd and long, vikings have a time out. Instead of trying for a field goal on 3rd down they do some floozy pass play and lose the game over it. I mean farve could have tucked it and ran, but still why not just go for 2 field goal attempts instead of running a risky pass play?

The worst part is the Saints didnt win that game.... Vikings handed it to the Saints
-___________-
If only AP/favre dont botch the hand off, its 21-14 Vikings going into half....

If only Harvin doesnt fumble at the Saints 10 Saints probably never score (Vikings held them to 77 yards of offense second half)

Vikings fail to get into field goal range at the end of the 4th....

5 WTF fumbles by the Vikings.....

Head-scratching pass interference call that basically hands the Saints the game (thanks refs for handing them that one when everybody knows he had 0 chance of getting that ball anyway)

The worst part is the Saints didnt win that game.... Vikings handed it to the Saints
-___________-

If only Harvin doesnt fumble at the Saints 10 Saints probably never score (Vikings held them to 77 yards of offense second half)

Head-scratching pass interference call that basically hands the Saints the game (thanks refs for handing them that one when everybody knows he had 0 chance of getting that ball anyway)
this. Vikings are obv the better team

brett favre made one of the worst decisions i've ever seen. a high school quarterback would have made the correct decision in that situation.

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus

If only

If only

etc.
Looks like a bunch of bullshit excuses for a team that lost. Suck dick, Brett.

Loki

like seashells
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis the Smogon Tour Season 7 Championwon the 3rd Official Smogon Tournament
clearly the football gods want favre's last throw to be a dumbass int to cost his team a shot at the superbowl.

You can't blame that on favre. Sure he made a bad decision but the Vikings couldve easily won that game without the need for that. when a team can play as bad as the Vikings did AND get bs'd by the refs and still only lose by three...yeah. I expect the saints to be obliterated by the colts... The Vikings completely exposed them as the overrated team they are.

Im not making excuses, Im saying that The Saints just didnt win the game. The Vikings didnt deserve to win by how careless they were with the ball, highlighted by Favre's INT that cost us a shot at a field goal. The point is that the Saints really didnt win that game. Sure, they had to cause some of those fumbles.... But that farve to AP BULLSHIT handoff that cost a chance to go up 21-14 at half had nothing to do with the Saints D. Along with Harvings fumble, the Saints only had 77 yards of offense in the second half man. They spoon fed the Saints a touchdown by giving it to them at their 10 yard line so they could easily punch it in

-___________-

..........really....?!?! Are you THAT desperate to deny reality?! There was a fumble that SHOULD have been picked up by the Saints (Vilma, iirc, was the overeager player looking to run back a TD instead of fall on the ball like he should have?) that gave you points instead of preventing you from scoring points (7, in this case, but it would have mattered a lot even if it were just 3). I understand by now you did not watch the game, you just mindlessly looked at it hoping for a team to win because you pretend sports are massively important, but had you watched carefully, you would have realized your team fumbled six times and lost three. That is 50%, and not a particularly awful loss. You can play the what if game all you want, but while they could have lost 0, 1, or only 2, they could have lost 4, 5, or 6 as well, so the what if game is fucking imbecilic to plaintively try to express how "shoulda won" your team was playing like today. Furthermore, HI, YOU HAD A PASS INTERFERENCE PENALTY GIVE YOU THE BALL AT THE 1 ON A PRETTY BULLSHIT CALL. Furtherfuckingmore, 5-32 against the Favrings in penalties, 9-88 against the Saints total, ignoring situational aspects of that.

The most confusing part of your horrible attempt at bitching is that you had a valid way to go about it; did you stop watching before an unfair overtime robbed you of any chance at scoring to win in a fair manner or what?

Brett Favre is a pussy bitch. That is all.
Only Bruce Matthews, Jerry Rice, and Jim Marshall started more games than Brett Favre. If he played through two more full seasons, he will be #1 on that list. He is tied for the fifth most playoff starts of all time. The only player to touch Brett Favre's string of consecutive starts, whether or not a few of them were a little goofy, is Peyton Manning (309 versus 192, both still going). You are full of shit and really need to gain some perspective.

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Ck, I wasn't referring to his longevity. I was referring to his inability to scramble the ball when he could have easily made 5+ yards and Longwell had a relatively easy FG. And don't use the argument that he was injured and afraid, yeah it was courageous to go back in the first place but if you're out there in the first place; you are expected to give it your all (especially in an NFC CHAMPIONSHIP GAME!) If you are playing and do not rush a couple of yards when a 5 year old could probably have made that decision, just to avoid injury, then yes it makes him a pussy. (if he wasn't afraid then I just don't see ANY reason for throwing). If he's so tough at battling on and longevity etc, then we wouldn't be having this discussion and it'd be a Vikings/Colts Superbowl.

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Ck, I wasn't referring to his longevity. I was referring to his inability to scramble the ball when he could have easily made 5+ yards and Longwell had a relatively easy FG. And don't use the argument that he was injured and afraid, yeah it was courageous to go back in the first place but if you're out there in the first place; you are expected to give it your all (especially in an NFC CHAMPIONSHIP GAME!) If you are playing and do not rush a couple of yards when a 5 year old could probably have made that decision, just to avoid injury, then yes it makes him a pussy. (if he wasn't afraid then I just don't see ANY reason for throwing). If he's so tough at battling on and longevity etc, then we wouldn't be having this discussion and it'd be a Vikings/Colts Superbowl.
No matter how good or experienced you are, everyone makes bad decisions under extreme pressure and adrenaline sometimes. It's a bit of an exaggeration to say a 5 year old or high schooler could have made the right decision here, because we're talking in hindsight to begin with. So Brett screwed it up, big deal. None of us are professional football players, and I'm sure none of us have been in a situation quite as important and stressful as THIRD AND LONG WITH 19 SECONDS LEFT IN THE NFC CHAMPIONSHIP GAME WITH THE SCORE TIED AND YOUR TEAM ON THE BRINK OF FIELD GOAL RANGE. Seriously, think about that for a second. I'm glad the Saints won, but you can't blame that all on Brett, or on the refs. You have to blame the entire team for not getting it done when they had to on several opportunities. History will not remember who played the better game, history will remember who went to the Super Bowl and who went home.

In any case, I think it's funny how after 19 years of playing tough football one decision in one game makes Brett Favre a pussy. It's amazing how quickly people will turn on someone and judge them.

Super Bowl predictions next time!

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
You can't blame that on favre. Sure he made a bad decision but the Vikings couldve easily won that game without the need for that. when a team can play as bad as the Vikings did AND get bs'd by the refs and still only lose by three...yeah. I expect the saints to be obliterated by the colts... The Vikings completely exposed them as the overrated team they are.
Who said I blamed it on Favre? I'm just supremely happy he lost, and that his INT had a big hand in that loss.

Im not making excuses, Im saying that The Saints just didnt win the game.
Last I checked, you are, and they did.

The Vikings didnt deserve to win by how careless they were with the ball, highlighted by Favre's INT that cost us a shot at a field goal. The point is that the Saints really didnt win that game. Sure, they had to cause some of those fumbles.... But that farve to AP BULLSHIT handoff that cost a chance to go up 21-14 at half had nothing to do with the Saints D. Along with Harvings fumble, the Saints only had 77 yards of offense in the second half man. They spoon fed the Saints a touchdown by giving it to them at their 10 yard line so they could easily punch it in
Wow, what a long, rambling sack of pure bullshit. See, you could say that the Saints didn't win the game all you want, but when I check the score, THEY DID, so stop saying that. You're full of shoulda/coulda/woulda horseshit which makes you sound like me when I used to make terrible excuses for why the Bills inexplicably gave games away at the end. Do you know what those excuses, mine AND yours, cover up? The fact that the team LOST THE FUCKING GAME. It doesn't matter who you think deserved to win, the Saints did.

Again, Brett Favre is a tough guy. He has started 269 straight regular season games and 22 playoff games. It is a lot harder to be fearless around 250 pound opponents trying to break your neck when you are 40 years old than 20.

People say he should have ran it...Okay he runs MAYBE 5 yards with his fucked up ankle...possible gets hurt again and he's at like a 52 yard field goal....Let's think about HOW EASY that FG would be in the Superdome....Yeah...I REALLY don't think Longwell would have made it. I know he's a great kicker...but fuck..Brett made the right decision trying to force one in there. It sucks it didn't work out...but it was the right choice. I'm sure even if it was incomplete, they didn't have the 12 men in the huddle, and it was just 4th down...he would have missed.

OT tho...I don't think that was a catch...I think that pass interference was bull shit....But still, if they wanted to win, they should have stopped them.

This game is not only on Brett. Let's see you guys be 40, get hit45739457394 times, and not throw some balls you shouldn't throw.

I'm just upset his last throw of his career is an int...again!
Watch him not retire and they just build him a robot arm...oh wait...he already is a robot. o.O

lol uh what? um....lol...what? what was just illogical...

by throwing that int he denied the team even a chance to win the game. let him scramble his 5 yards. that still gives them a chance, even if it's a 50 yarder in superdome, it's a chance to win. whereas throwing it across your body, you risk the int or best case scenario it's incomplete, then you have an even further fg. so scramble and give the team a chance............................................................

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
whereas throwing it across your body, you risk the int or best case scenario it's incomplete
Actually, best case scenario is he completes the pass and gets them into manageable field goal range. Throwing across your body is RISKY, but not an impossible pass to complete. It's been done plenty of times before, this time it just didn't work out.

EDIT: In other news, this year's pro bowl is gonna be a bit silly (more so than usual). David Garrard? Really?

The saddest part about the NFC Championship game (I have no thoughts on the AFC Championship game, it turned out pretty much as I expected) is that the Saints only won by 3. Really? The Vikings had FIVE turnovers, and they still had to go into overtime? If the Saints play like that in the Super Bowl, the Colts may win by the largest margin of victory ever. The Saints should be absolutely ashamed of the way they played. They BARELY beat the worst team that made the playoffs this year despite the fact that said team was playing even more terribly than they usually do. I am glad everyone agrees with me that the Vikings are garbage now though!

Also DM and others, aren't you glad I'm not like those other users who try to make excuses for the Vikings? I just recognize that they played like shit (even more so than normal) and that they certainly did not deserve to go to the Super Bowl.

Just wanted to say this... BIG BERRIAN. In all the "who should've won" stuff I forgot to mention how clutch he was in this game, despite the fumble. AP finally got over 100 yards again... Brett Favre broke another record ect.

They did get what they wanted to done.. just killed themselves with turnovers. Hopefully Brett Favre comes back for one more year and can lead them to the playoffs again (which isn't that hard in the NFC North). They have a pretty start studded lineup so they shouldn't have too much trouble being back here next year.. and hopefully put up a better fight. Always next year vikings ~_~

(and if Brett Favre doesn't come back... at least persuade him to train Taveris Jackson on the art of passing, he actually had a nice year this year. Fewest interceptions in his career iirc).

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Hopefully Brett Favre comes back for one more year and can nab the all-time fumbling record to go along with his INT record.

Actually, best case scenario is he completes the pass and gets them into manageable field goal range. Throwing across your body is RISKY, but not an impossible pass to complete. It's been done plenty of times before, this time it just didn't work out.

EDIT: In other news, this year's pro bowl is gonna be a bit silly (more so than usual). David Garrard? Really?
If he completed it, you "know" everyone in the sports media would breathlessly be like "now that was a risky play, but ya know, Brett Favre is just that great, no one else completes that except maybe Brees or Manning blah blah blah."

The saddest part about the NFC Championship game (I have no thoughts on the AFC Championship game, it turned out pretty much as I expected) is that the Saints only won by 3. Really? The Vikings had FIVE turnovers, and they still had to go into overtime? If the Saints play like that in the Super Bowl, the Colts may win by the largest margin of victory ever. The Saints should be absolutely ashamed of the way they played. They BARELY beat the worst team that made the playoffs this year despite the fact that said team was playing even more terribly than they usually do. I am glad everyone agrees with me that the Vikings are garbage now though!

Also DM and others, aren't you glad I'm not like those other users who try to make excuses for the Vikings? I just recognize that they played like shit (even more so than normal) and that they certainly did not deserve to go to the Super Bowl.
Um, any game has the potential for a blowout. The Super Bowl is even worse because of the two week wait. The Cowboys beat the Bills by a huge margin, but even then it was only 52-17 ("should have been 59-17") with what, 9 turnovers by the Bills? Contrary to your belief and need to exaggerate, a turnover is not an automatic gain of points for a team!

..........really....?!?! Are you THAT desperate to deny reality?! There was a fumble that SHOULD have been picked up by the Saints (Vilma, iirc, was the overeager player looking to run back a TD instead of fall on the ball like he should have?) that gave you points instead of preventing you from scoring points (7, in this case, but it would have mattered a lot even if it were just 3). I understand by now you did not watch the game, you just mindlessly looked at it hoping for a team to win because you pretend sports are massively important, but had you watched carefully, you would have realized your team fumbled six times and lost three. That is 50%, and not a particularly awful loss. You can play the what if game all you want, but while they could have lost 0, 1, or only 2, they could have lost 4, 5, or 6 as well, so the what if game is fucking imbecilic to plaintively try to express how "shoulda won" your team was playing like today. Furthermore, HI, YOU HAD A PASS INTERFERENCE PENALTY GIVE YOU THE BALL AT THE 1 ON A PRETTY BULLSHIT CALL. Furtherfuckingmore, 5-32 against the Favrings in penalties, 9-88 against the Saints total, ignoring situational aspects of that.

The most confusing part of your horrible attempt at bitching is that you had a valid way to go about it; did you stop watching before an unfair overtime robbed you of any chance at scoring to win in a fair manner or what?

Only Bruce Matthews, Jerry Rice, and Jim Marshall started more games than Brett Favre. If he played through two more full seasons, he will be #1 on that list. He is tied for the fifth most playoff starts of all time. The only player to touch Brett Favre's string of consecutive starts, whether or not a few of them were a little goofy, is Peyton Manning (309 versus 192, both still going). You are full of shit and really need to gain some perspective.
You fail to realize my point..... The Vikings OUTPLAYED THE SAINTS IN EVERY SINGLE PART OF THAT GAME.... Again, learn to read. My points are why we lost the game, not why the Saints won the game. Our D locked them up second half, the Vikings just decided to have a bowl of fumbilitis before the game which just destroyed the Vikings.... They exposed the Saints, and the Colts took note. They are going to destroy the Saints and their overatedness

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)