Triple Threat (NU, Peaked at #1 on the ladder)

Introduction:
This team is by far my most successful team for any tier, reaching a peak CRE of 1664. It's a great team, leaning towards Bulky Offense/Offense-Based Balance. Very few Pokemon can take the offenses that it dishes out, since the sweepers have a nasty habit of weakening each other's counters, and Quagsire is great at giving them free switchins However I'm sorta getting bored of it, so I decided to post an RMT cause I like to brag, and thought that this team deserved that bragging about it, and hopefully get a little more activity into NU.

And those people who will post "Oh I don't play NU, but..." Go play NU!

Team Building:
The core of the team was relatively simple to come up with. Charizard, Typhlosion, and Magmortar all look ridiculously powerful. Sticking all three on a team together should allow plenty of defensive cores to fall apart. Nobody prepares for more than one. Secondly there is no dedicated full stop for Special threats in NU (besides really Regice, but it can't take Fire Blasts), making special offence all the more threatening. so I picked up the three most threatening sets for each. Scarf for Typhlosion, a Moltres-esque LORoost set for Charizard, and the standard wall-breaker for Magmortar.

Now we need supporters. The biggest thing glaring at me from here was the gigantic Stealth Rocks weakness. By far, the most reliable spinner in the tier is Sandslash. I can kill two birds with one stone by giving it Stealth Rocks of my own.

The next thing I needed was a reliable way to deal with Slowking. I strong Pursuiter would be needed. Again, this was a no brainer, and Skuntank got a spot on my team. I also wanted something that could take Slowking's Thunder Waves and Surfs and could force it out. Encore Quagsire fit the bill. Its Water Absorb has been a godsend, and the thing pairs so well with Charizard that it's ridiculous. Encore is a great way to get free switch ins on some random Grass attack or something. (Along with really screwing up Cursetank and SubCM Espeon)

And that was my team.

At a Glance:

In Depth:

Typhlosion (F) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 40 HP/216 Spd/252 SAtk
Naive nature (+Spd, -SDef)
- Eruption
- Fire Blast
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Earthquake

I start of the match with Choice Scarf Typhlosion, who outspeeds and OHKOs 90 percent of the metagame. It shows up early game and tells me which Fire counter that my opponent has, and then I can deal with it from there. A lot of time, with some cocky Slowking or Grumpig, I can kill it off with Skuntank quickly. From there the opponents teams just crumple. Luckily Typhlosion also functions as a powerful revenge killer because of its incredible speed. It also finishes up a lot of teams as a revenge killer.

The reason Typhlosion works so well, is because it doesn't need to switch moves. Typhlosion is at its happiest at 95-100 health or 1-33 health. When it's at high health it just spams Eruption, and when its low on health it spams Fire Blast (fun fact: Blaze Fire Blast hurts more than Full Power Eruption) The other two moves are purely to revenge things like Ninetales or rain sweepers. I can catch something on the switch in (that's always fun) but for the most part, the other two moves are seldom used. The EV spread might look sort of funky, but it serves a very essential purpose. The EVs let me stay one point ahead of ALL scarfapes, along with most other Pokemon in the tier. Naive was chosen over Hasty, since Vacuum Wave is nonexistent. Earthquake is also used over something like Focus Blast, since hitting Ninetales and other Scarfflosions is a lot more important that beating Miltank. (Miltank's poor SDef makes not very threatening to this team)

Its effectiveness has gone down recently as a lead, since the leads that it beats are being used less. There are a lot less people running around with Scarfapes, Electrodes, or Sandlashes that Typhlsion just outspeeds and OHKOs. Instead there are things like PriorityCham, Persian, and sashed things with Earthquake. I don't think that any of the other Pokemon can really fill the lead spot any better (maybe Charizard) but I do like the ensured Eruption.

Typhlosion also serves as my main check to a lot of fast sweepers. Things like Manetric, Espeon, Dodrio, Taurous, etc just gets barbequed. It basically is my go-to guy for any Pokemon sitting above the 100 base speed mark. Except Floatzel. Aqua Jet makes Typhlosion very, very sad, but for whatever reason, people seem to like to opt against using Aqua Jet on Floatzel.

Charizard (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 4 Def/252 Spd/252 SAtk
Timid nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Air Slash
- Fire Blast
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Roost

Charizard shows up as my most consistent sweeper. The set is stolen completely from Moltres, who runs the exact same thing in UU, and it has similar effects. The difference with Moltres in UU and Charizard in NU is simple. Charizard is better. Spinning is easier, and Charizard only has three or Pokemon it can't get past, and its faster.

The moves are straight forward. Air Slash gives it a secondary STAB, Fire Blast destroys things, an Hidden Power [Grass] beats silly Quagsire and Relicanth that think that they can win. Max/Max+ EV spread is a given. Roost is a the crux of the set, being good, since it lets me dodge a Sucker Punch from Skuntank, and it allows Charizard to be the most durable sweeper on the team. It's not on a timer, like Magmortar is since it can just heal when its health gets too low, and it has the added benefit of being able to muscle past most Pokemon that resist Fire with Air Slash. Pokemon in this tier have a very difficult time switching into Air Slash, since everything that resists it is weak to Fire or Hidden Power [Grass].

Charizard alwso gives me a very important Earthquake immunity, allowing me to switch into Sandslash and Gligar all day and then fire off Fire Blasts. Considering that half of my team is weak to the move, this attribute comes in handy a lot.

Magmortar (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 4 HP/252 Spd/252 SAtk
Modest nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Fire Blast
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Thunderbolt
- Focus Blast

This is Magmortar. You basically cannot switch in to him, unless your name is Grumpig or Slowking. and even if you are named Slowking, you still get 2HKO'd by Thunderbolt. That's how Magmortar really works. He breaks down the opponents defensive core, and often, with some prediction, leaves the opponent's teams so broken that they lose disastrously to the other two sweepers. He is the worst at straight sweeping though, thanks to its relatively low speed. That doesn't mean it's not a vital member of the team.

Magmortar snags the best coverage of all of my Pokemon here, and hits the hardest. The moves are fairly standard again. Focus Blast is the one of the two moves that isn't super obvious. It allows Magmortar to easily OHKO two Pokemon that are otherwise very dangerous: Miltank and Cradily. Hidden Power[Grass] OHKOs Gastrodon, Quagsire, and Relicanth, and is generally the best filler move. The other two moves are the best to just hurt everything and anything that switches in. Magmortar is really the most straight forward of the three sweepers on the team, so I don't have much else to say.

Sandslash (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Veil
EVs: 252 HP/40 Atk/208 Def/8 Spd
Impish nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Earthquake
- Rapid Spin
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge

Sandslash obviously fills the much needed roles of Rapid Spinner and Stealth Rocker. Spinning is far, far more important than Stealth Rocks, because these Pokemon have enough strength to OHKO most Pokemon without it anyways. However, Stealth Rocks is also my only real way of beating Typhlosion and Charizard especially. Sandslash also is my decent physical Pokemon pivot, and Skuntank counter. Its not really very multidimensional. He usually spins, switches into a Medicham or Miltank or Primeape once or twice and dies.

Those 8 random speed EVs let me stay ahead of the Flareon set in the analysis. :D

Skuntank (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Aftermath
EVs: 152 HP/252 Atk/104 Spd
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Explosion
- Sucker Punch
- Pursuit
- Crunch

Skuntank is the crux of my team really. It's the best Pokemon in the tier. The more and more I use this Pokemon, the more that I feel that it's broken under the support characteristic. Without this guy the team would crumple to so many threats and then be stopped cold by the #2 most used Pokemon. It also does some other random things, like beat those Psychic special walls, and Espeon. It's also the only priority on the team, and can take out ghosts who want to block spin. So yeah, it's a decent check to a large portion of the metagame and gives me the most important support available. There are no oother real, decent Pursuiters in the tier, to replace Skuntank with either.

The spread is largely arbitrary. I wanted to get Skuntank to be decently bulky, but still somewhat quick. 104 Spd gives me enough speed to outspeed Modest Nonscarfed Glaceon, Adamant Bannette, and others base 65s. Other threats like Jolly Ursaring, Jolly Relicanth, Timid Gorebyss, and other things. The bulk is just so that it doesn't die easily. Adamant and Max attack is necessary. The first three attacks are standard. The last move allows my matches with bulky psychics to become a fare more dangerous version of Rock-Paper-Scissors than Taunt. Often I can lead off with Pursuit on Slowking, and they do not switch. Instead, they go for Slack Off, and get killed by Crunch. Fun stuff.

Quagsire (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP/144 Def/112 SDef
Impish nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Waterfall
- Recover
- Encore
- Toxic / Earthquake

Quagsire switches into all those random Surfs and Waterfalls. And that's it. He is the bulkiest Pokemon on the team. Usually its switching into those, firing off a Toxic or Earthquake, Encoring something, and switching out. (Usually to Charizard to take those Grass attacks). Quagsire does check another important half of the metagame and that's the metagame half that Skuntank doesn't check. Its typing just has the most handy set of resistances ever, giving a lot of free switchins. Encore also allows me to beat up sub and cro set up Pokemon. It's also my first switchin to Slowking (taking Thunder Waves and Surfs) and then switching out to Skuntank on the Grass Knot, Toxic or Psychic.

The evs give Quaggy enough bulk to take a lot of physical attacks and still switch into Fire Blasts all day long. It's really not specialized, so I'd appreciated a more specialized one.

Threats:
I may or may not get around to posting a threat list. Choiced Flying and Normal types (Charizard, Tauros, and Dodrio in particular) are difficult to switch in to since I don't have a resist. The general Slowking is still a pest. Luckily once it dies, most of the time the opponent's team crumples. And CroCradily messes up my team pretty bad. I only have one fighting type move on the team. Persian, Manetric, PriorityCham, Espeon, and Magmortar are all also really annoying to play around, but they are all doable.

Then you have the two Pokemon who bend this team over and rape it over and over again. 3 Attacks Ninetales and Mixed Floatzel. Both have to be revenged by Typhlosion and Skuntank, but usually, neither of them can beat them by itself. (In case you were wondering 3 Attacks Ninetales runs: Nasty Plot/Fire Blast/Energy Ball/HP Rock and Mixed floatzel goes with Waterfall/Aqua Jet/HP Grass/Ice Punch or Crunch)

Thanks for reading this.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Triple Fire? THAT'S WHAT GOT YOU ON THE TOP OF THE LEADERBOARD?!?

Gee...
Anywho this team is pretty damn powerful.

I could see Flareon a bit of a bother because your 3 special sweepers are stopped cold by it. It's still pretty damn easy to work around though, and Quagsire/Sandslash beats it. (Simply running 8 EV's on Sandslash to outspeed standard Flareon would be nice)

Regigigas could be a potential threat to this team. Specially defensive Regiggas isn't 2HKO by Magmortar's Fire blast (max damage is around 48%) and from there he can paralyze your sweepers .

That's not the main problem. He sets up on Skuntank, Sandlash and doesn't give a care about Quagisire. Once he gets behind a sub and slow start runs out it will sweep your entire team.

There isn't much you can do about this. A fighting type or a strong special user can put him in his place (maybe a specs Zard?)

Anyway, congrats on the team. It looks incredibly solid (and not even generic... I still can't get over THREE FIRES)

I've acctually never have had trouble with either. Flareon is covered really because of the three Earthquakes on the team, and Magmortar can Focus Blast it (and Regigigas btw) that + Thunderbolt usually KOs. I have Toxic on Quaggy too to beat it and yeah. Regigigas is usually beaten, by having its Sub/Thunder Wave Encored by Quaggy and then hitting it. Usually some fire type can beat it, since it has no recovery. I think the 8 spd EVs could work though, cause it will give me a cool jump on it to hit it with EQ. Neither are super common either. Thanks for the rate though.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I've acctually never have had trouble with either. Flareon is covered really because of the three Earthquakes on the team, and Magmortar can Focus Blast it (and Regigigas btw) that + Thunderbolt usually KOs. I have Toxic on Quaggy too to beat it and yeah. Regigigas is usually beaten, by having its Sub/Thunder Wave Encored by Quaggy and then hitting it. Usually some fire type can beat it, since it has no recovery. I think the 8 spd EVs could work though, cause it will give me a cool jump on it to hit it with EQ. Neither are super common either. Thanks for the rate though.

You underestimate it's special bulk. Focus Blast followed by T-bolt is never an OHKO (36.8% - 43.4%) and (29% - 34.4%) respectively. Coupled with Wish, protect and toxic, Flareon can atually beat you 1 on 1. I will give you that, the other pokemon on your team handle it reasonably well.

You underestimate Regigigas though. Quagsire will be hard pressed to deal with it (if it gets a sub up from parafusing Skuntank or Sandslash in general) as a Return after SS runs out will deal (48.2% - 57.1%) and Quagsire cannot break the sub with one Earthquake/Waterfall and will need too.

It can take a hit from all 3 fires (none of their moves OHKO not even Focus Blast) and T-wave them. From there, starting a parufusion Chain is pretty lethal, because of the 37.5% of actually acting.

You raise a good point though, both are rare so they don't pose to much of a problem. If you play smart with Skuntank (don't Crunch just explode on a sub less Regigigas) and encore the Regigigas ASAP (don't Toxic as it outspeeds) then you can easily deal with it.

Edit: That Typhlosion wants a Rash Nature. More power, and you don't really risk getting outsped by anything relevant.

Edit2: Charizard wants 4 EV's in Def, not HP so it can switch into SR at least 3 times without fainting.

@Flareon: Thunderbolt+Focus Blast w/SR, and it just loses to Quaggy. It can Toxic me, but I don't really care about that that much. Skuntank usually will win too.

@Regigigas: Quaggy has Encore. Switch into Sub and Encore the sub/CRay/ThunderWave, and start hitting it. Eventually sub will break and i can Toxic it, or it switches, putting it inot 2HKO range, next time it switches into an attack.

@Rash: Scarfape

PK Gaming

Persona 5
@Flareon: Thunderbolt+Focus Blast w/SR, and it just loses to Quaggy. It can Toxic me, but I don't really care about that that much. Skuntank usually will win too.

@Regigigas: Quaggy has Encore. Switch into Sub and Encore the sub/CRay/ThunderWave, and start hitting it. Eventually sub will break and i can Toxic it, or it switches, putting it inot 2HKO range, next time it switches into an attack.

@Rash: Scarfape
Ah good point about Flareon.
You switch into sub and he outspeeds and spams return. This is why you need to encore immediately if he is subs in front of you. You have the advantage if he uses anything BUT sub on the switch.

You outspeed most varients (which are Adamant) but to each one's own.

Edit: Pretty much every stealth rock weak pokemon wants 4 def and no HP. That 4 HP on magmortar allows him to switch in 4 X as opposed to 5.'

wouldnt a team with 4 water weaknesses and 3 fire types benefit from sunny day?
have you considered that?

So what do you do against Sharpedo?

It literally 6-0's your team.

To compensate for this, I suggest using a different water-type, such as Lapras (he's still NU right???). This way you can handle Mixed Floatzel, Mixed Sharpedo, Ninetales, and Flareon. The only thing you may have trouble against is Magmortar, but you should be able to beat it with Typhlosion. You can possibly EV it to survive Fire Blast + Thunderbolt as well.

Ice-eyes

Simper Fi
Loving the team, Leman; I've known it for a while, and tried variants of it myself, and it really is good.

Quagsire is actually a pretty bad designated Slowking switch-in as many Slowking run Grass Knot right now (my trend, yay!), which can easily OHKO you. I would definitely consider using your own Slowking - you lack a strong counter to the special side of OU, particularly things like Magmortar, Charizard and Espeon.

If you're underwhelmed by Scarf Typhlosion as a lead, you could always switch Sandslash to the lead slot and save Ty. That guarantees that Rocks won't be up early-on, forcing you to try and spin in disadvantageous conditions.

So what do you do against Sharpedo?

It literally 6-0's your team.

To compensate for this, I suggest using a different water-type, such as Lapras (he's still NU right???). This way you can handle Mixed Floatzel, Mixed Sharpedo, Ninetales, and Flareon. The only thing you may have trouble against is Magmortar, but you should be able to beat it with Typhlosion. You can possibly EV it to survive Fire Blast + Thunderbolt as well.
Mixpedo is definitely a problem, and usually forces me to let Typhlosion or Charizard take an Aqua Jet. I don't think that Waterfall OHKOs Sandslash either. Worst comes to worst I blow up on it with Skuntank. But it is a big problem, luckily not too common (or just not mixed).

Loving the team, Leman; I've known it for a while, and tried variants of it myself, and it really is good.

Quagsire is actually a pretty bad designated Slowking switch-in as many Slowking run Grass Knot right now (my trend, yay!), which can easily OHKO you. I would definitely consider using your own Slowking - you lack a strong counter to the special side of OU, particularly things like Magmortar, Charizard and Espeon.

If you're underwhelmed by Scarf Typhlosion as a lead, you could always switch Sandslash to the lead slot and save Ty. That guarantees that Rocks won't be up early-on, forcing you to try and spin in disadvantageous conditions.
I haven't really been to impressed with opposing Sandslash leads. (Mainly because Eruption usually OHKOs them, but I can probably give it a go.

I do have 4 Fire resists to switch around Magmortar and Charizard, and Skuntank + Typhlosion to beat Espeon. Is Slowking really necessary?

Quagsire more there to sponge ThunderWaves/Surfs so I can get Slowking in safely, and beat NP/CM/Curse ones.

The problem with other bulky waters is, mainly that they don't have Water Absorb (and to a lesser extent Twave immunity and Encore, which I really really like). Lapras does, but it has a SR weakness (And my weakness to that is already fairly large) and no reliable healing, but I'm going to test her. Alleviating my Floatzel (and Sharpedo) weakness is a major plus. It actually lessens my Magmortar weakness since most of them have HP Grass.

EDIT: I missed some. =/

@PK fixed EVs. Thanks. Because of LO, I never actually miss the switch in, but I guess the situation can arise where I need it.
@Impo: I'd rather not make the team Sunny Day, partially because keeping sun up for most of the match would require a large revamp and because it would be rather difficult to keep it up all the time. I also don't have anywhere to just randomly stick Sunny Day to make it work. D:

More rates please. :)

Ok, so here's what I think about the changes I made.

First, Sandslash as a lead is really underwhelming. I've been seeing a lot of Glalie spiking leads and Jumpluff leads, and other leads that can just be raped by Typhlosion. And with Slash, I give them momentum and its very hard to recover from that mid game.

Second, Lapras is underwhelming too. 4 SR weaks and the fact that Sandslash is getting weakened early game make it difficult for her to do her job. On top of that, I'm really missing the fire resist, autohealing, and Encore. I'm running Restalk/Surf/Thunderbolt, though, so is there a better set that I could use?

Leman, if you thought your team was powerful before, it's even more so now. Slowking left NU. Awesome team, original, I love it man. I have a very small suggestion that you MAY want to cinsider though. Regarding your massive Sharpedo weakness, you could switch Sandslash with a Hitmonchan. You maintain Rapid Spin and a rock resistance. You gain Mach Punch for Sharpedo, but obviously lose SR, which possinly makes it an inferior choice. Your Pokemon hit so hard however, that I was wondering if SR is even neccessary?

i really like this team but you may want to swith skuntank with magenaton because slowkings not in nu any more and magenaton can help with your water type weakeness because slowkings not in nu any more. also swith charizards hp grass to focus blast, because magenton will cover you water weakness. also ive done better with a charizard with flamethrower instead of fireblast

...How did this happen? Is Stealth Rock not a bother in NU? Also, you needed a Slowking (Slowking's in UU now, so it's not such a bother) counter, Slowking usually carrying surf, so you chose a ground type? Does anybody else find this completely illogical? if you want something with a strong Pursuit, what's wrong with Shiftry? It's Grass/ Dark, which type-wise completely gets one over a Water/ Psychic type. Also, run Sunny Day to help out your water-weak Pokémon and power up your fire types and Shiftry can use make use of it with Chlorophyll. Also, maybe you'd want a Wisher? If so, maybe you could consider Xatu. Xatu can be a real team player by helping out with Wish, plus it can also use Tailwind to speed everybody up. Also, if you're still struggling for water types, how about Octillery? It's got damn decent offensive stats, and a really good movepool.
But as for your team-building process, I can't quite understand it. You chose Magmortar, Typhlosion and Charizard because, and I quote, "Charizard, Typhlosion, and Magmortar all look ridiculously powerful." And your three other Pokémon were chosen to counter one Pokémon. You said "This is Magmortar. You basically cannot switch in to him, unless your name is Grumpig or Slowking. and even if you are named Slowking, you still get 2HKO'd by Thunderbolt." So why did you choose three other Pokémon to counter something that you said was 2HKO'd by Magmortar anyway? What about the other Pokémon in NU? Maybe you need to compile a threat list. Then I might be convinced.

Here are some movesets for the aforementioned Pokémon;

Octillery@Choice Scarf
Timid nature
252 SpA/ 252 Spe/ 4 HP
Water Spout
Surf
Ice Beam
Energy Ball
(with Timid nature and Sarf, Octillery, surprisingly, outspeeds maximum base 90s and nuetral base 100s, then add Tailwindand you've got yourself an unusually fast Octillery)

Xatu@Leftovers
Timid nature
40 HP / 252 SpA / 216 Spe
Wish
Tailwind
Psychic
Signal Beam

Shiftry@Heat Rock
Rash nature
4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Sunny Day
Solarbeam
Dark Pulse
Explosion

iodine: I'm sorta not going to bother responding to your rate, since most it was flaming and and the rest of it was suggesting subpar Pokemon that don't really fit. I mean Tailwind. Really?

Leman, if you thought your team was powerful before, it's even more so now. Slowking left NU. Awesome team, original, I love it man. I have a very small suggestion that you MAY want to cinsider though. Regarding your massive Sharpedo weakness, you could switch Sandslash with a Hitmonchan. You maintain Rapid Spin and a rock resistance. You gain Mach Punch for Sharpedo, but obviously lose SR, which possinly makes it an inferior choice. Your Pokemon hit so hard however, that I was wondering if SR is even neccessary?
Most of the time I don't even get SR off, so short answer to that last question is no. I think Hitmonchan is a good idea. I don't compound my SR weakness, and then Sharpedo doesn't walk completely over me. I dislike how unreliable he is, but yeah.

i really like this team but you may want to swith skuntank with magenaton because slowkings not in nu any more and magenaton can help with your water type weakeness because slowkings not in nu any more. also swith charizards hp grass to focus blast, because magenton will cover you water weakness. also ive done better with a charizard with flamethrower instead of fireblast
Magneton is an idea. He deals with most water types that the fire types can't. I'm sort of worried about Espeon. HP Grass beats Quagsire, and what does Focus Blast hit?

...How did this happen? Is Stealth Rock not a bother in NU? Also, you needed a Slowking (Slowking's in UU now, so it's not such a bother) counter, Slowking usually carrying surf, so you chose a ground type? Does anybody else find this completely illogical? if you want something with a strong Pursuit, what's wrong with Shiftry? It's Grass/ Dark, which type-wise completely gets one over a Water/ Psychic type. Also, run Sunny Day to help out your water-weak Pokémon and power up your fire types and Shiftry can use make use of it with Chlorophyll. Also, maybe you'd want a Wisher? If so, maybe you could consider Xatu. Xatu can be a real team player by helping out with Wish, plus it can also use Tailwind to speed everybody up. Also, if you're still struggling for water types, how about Octillery? It's got damn decent offensive stats, and a really good movepool.
But as for your team-building process, I can't quite understand it. You chose Magmortar, Typhlosion and Charizard because, and I quote, "Charizard, Typhlosion, and Magmortar all look ridiculously powerful." And your three other Pokémon were chosen to counter one Pokémon. You said "This is Magmortar. You basically cannot switch in to him, unless your name is Grumpig or Slowking. and even if you are named Slowking, you still get 2HKO'd by Thunderbolt." So why did you choose three other Pokémon to counter something that you said was 2HKO'd by Magmortar anyway? What about the other Pokémon in NU? Maybe you need to compile a threat list. Then I might be convinced.

Here are some movesets for the aforementioned Pokémon;

Octillery@Choice Scarf
Timid nature
252 SpA/ 252 Spe/ 4 HP
Water Spout
Surf
Ice Beam
Energy Ball
(with Timid nature and Sarf, Octillery, surprisingly, outspeeds maximum base 90s and nuetral base 100s, then add Tailwindand you've got yourself an unusually fast Octillery)

Xatu@Leftovers
Timid nature
40 HP / 252 SpA / 216 Spe
Wish
Tailwind
Psychic
Signal Beam

Shiftry@Heat Rock
Rash nature
4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Sunny Day
Solarbeam
Dark Pulse
Explosion
I'm sorry but it is fairly obvious that you don't know anything of the era this team took place in. Fire types were running rampant, tearing apart everything but Slowking. Skuntank is also very common, checking many things that Shiftry does not and absorbing T Spikes. Quagsire counters Slowking because of water Absorb and Encore. The purpose of triple fire was to overwhelm the opponent.

@the person who said the team was original, he took 6 of the most used Pokemon and made a semi-HO semi-balance team, not original, but very effective.

Kudos to using this team to such success. Good job Leman.

Ice-eyes

Simper Fi
You might want to consider giving Magmortar a neutral nature with 4 Atk EVs and Earthquake over Focus Blast - with no Miltank, it's not that necessary any more and you've got Thunderbolt for Walrein etc. EQ allows you to hit Flareon and Ninetales, many players' go-to switch-ins to Mortar and your other Fire-types.

Thanks for the complements.

You might want to consider giving Magmortar a neutral nature with 4 Atk EVs and Earthquake over Focus Blast - with no Miltank, it's not that necessary any more and you've got Thunderbolt for Walrein etc. EQ allows you to hit Flareon and Ninetales, many players' go-to switch-ins to Mortar and your other Fire-types.
To be 100% honest, I've retired this team for the time being. Without Slowking, and with the resurgence of Rain, and Walrein and Heysup's Sharpedo, it needs to go through some major edits.

If I am going to bring it back, I will be changing Magmortar's set to Earthquake over Focus Blast (Modest is fine since it still 2HKOs all the Fire types). I've been testing bulky Qwilfish a bit, and I think I'll be using it over Quagsire once I've figured out a good spread and set. (Think Froslass+Moltres in NU) It should do well against Mixpedo, since it usually doesn't carry Earthquake, right? I'm thinking that Skuntank should get a replacement too. right now I'm skrewing around with Rain Dance, so when that fizzles out, I'll come back to this team, but thoughts on Qwilfish would be appreciated.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
Thanks for the complements.

To be 100% honest, I've retired this team for the time being. Without Slowking, and with the resurgence of Rain, and Walrein and Heysup's Sharpedo, it needs to go through some major edits.

If I am going to bring it back, I will be changing Magmortar's set to Earthquake over Focus Blast (Modest is fine since it still 2HKOs all the Fire types). I've been testing bulky Qwilfish a bit, and I think I'll be using it over Quagsire once I've figured out a good spread and set. (Think Froslass+Moltres in NU) It should do well against Mixpedo, since it usually doesn't carry Earthquake, right? I'm thinking that Skuntank should get a replacement too. right now I'm skrewing around with Rain Dance, so when that fizzles out, I'll come back to this team, but thoughts on Qwilfish would be appreciated.
Who are you and what have you done with Leman? Binning Skuntank and Quagsire? Running Qwilfish? Tossing FB (although you talked about it before)

Neat. Maybe it's my OSD but I really wouldn't suggest running Modest because you need that extra power against Ninetails. I recommend going with Mild. Sure you'll die to like any physical hit but honestly, it's not that much of a problem.

Heysup's Mixpedo has Eq or Zen Headbutt, IIRC (I do). It's Eq in NU, though, where Venusaur doesn't exist.

Why not run Mantine? It absorbs water attacks, and Sandslash takes electric and rock attacks. It's like the GyaraJolt of NU. Kinda. It has swift swim and hp grass/electric to hurt rain.

Yeah.

Heysup's Mixpedo has Eq or Zen Headbutt, IIRC (I do). It's Eq in NU, though, where Venusaur doesn't exist.

Why not run Mantine? It absorbs water attacks, and Sandslash takes electric and rock attacks. It's like the GyaraJolt of NU. Kinda. It has swift swim and hp grass/electric to hurt rain.

Yeah.
Pretty sure it can't "Absorb" water attacks and have Swift Swim at the same time.

However, I see what you are getting at.

If only Electabuzz had the same ability as it's older sibling.

Overall, interesting team. I would never expect this kind of hyper offense to top the ladder, but whatever works! :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)