Pokemon Black & White, aka Gen 5. Coming to Japan in Fall 2010.

Status
Not open for further replies.
To be honest I'm not entirely convinced of this. I mean look at what the Legend of Zelda games have been doing since the SNES. Just give an outer border and let us free roam within it, with HM's and various scripted events keeping us on track to some degree. Level design would be a nightmare but it would certainly be a possibility. I'm not asking for an entire open world though, just let us wander away from the roads every once in a while.
I'm not sure. I'd like it, and would give an excuse to allow even more pokemon in each route, to take some pressure off the Safari zone (its looking insane now).

I'd be concerned about memory too.

By the way, I ripped Zekrom's sprite from a screenshot.

Unfortunately, the screen with Reshiram is bad-quality, so I didn't attempt ripping that.

Unfortunately, the screen with Reshiram is bad-quality, so I didn't attempt ripping that.
Even though I still think the design looks like a Palkia ripoff, it has now really grown on me and actually looks badass, especially with the turbine. Can't wait to see what its stats and movepool are.

looking at the clear pictures on the official site, Wild Bolt looks like it will be a special recoil move IMO, and meguroko (sp?) looks like it's using Pursuit or a move that looks like it, so I guess it can really abuse it new ability with it. Also, it looks like random wifi battles will be timed (I doubt anyone will take an hour to battle, but just pointing it out). Also, anyone think it's strange that Chiramii is level 50? Possibly you can fight the professor since she has one?

Nice job, Wichu! Wow, the blue on the back of his crest is a lot more obvious now. I remember when the rumor first dropped that Zekrom was part Electric, someone (I forget who) said that the blue crest and red eye could be related to magnetism/electricity, since those colors are often used to represent magnetic poles. Not many people believed him, since the blue color was so faint on the initial artwork, but I guess he was right.

Come to think of it, this sprite looks really different from the artwork we first saw. The tail is way bigger, and the wings have been shrunk substantially. It almost makes me believe that Muller guy...didn't he say that all of the sprites for the starters were changed substantially at the last minute? Whatever, let's leave that debate on PokeBeach. This thread is long enough.

Getting back on topic, I have to say that I like the change. If Zekrom is really a representation of Yin, he should be related to the earth, so it doesn't make sense for him to be carrying those big wings. The tail (still can't decide whether it's a drill or a turbine!) would be more useful.

I took a look at the Reshiram screenshot as well. You're right Wichu, it is pretty bad quality, but here it is in case anyone missed it on Serebii:

To tell the truth, I don't really like it, but then again I never loved Reshi to begin with. It looks like they're keeping his ridiculous pose from the original artwork, with his arms raised high in the air and his wings spread out. His arms have gotten even thinner, to the point where I question how he can even move them. On top of all that, his pose makes no sense...we know he's not part Flying and doesn't have Levitate, so why is he trying to flap his wings? On the plus side, his crotch fur has been trimmed a bit, and his tail looks bad-ass.

Just some pictures I got from the website.
I appreciate the pictures, Nekoh, but you really should put hide tabs around them to save space.

So I've taken another look at the map shown on that site, and theres actually a nice amount of towns/possible towns visible now, put red circles around them.

Some are of course questionable and not the whole map is shown, but there's quite a lot of potentional here.

The artist needs to learn his damn proportions. Rashimazarikieweasewa's legs and feet are larger then his whole torso and I can't get over how skinny his neck and arms are compared to them, it just looks plain bad. And the professor's calfs are bigger than her thighs >__>

Diamond and Pearl male character was pretty bad. That ugly hat...yuck.
I love Lucas's hat. It is no where near as cool as Gold's, but I still liked it. B&Ws guy kinda goes back to square one with his. Here, the hats over the series:

Red: Front facing baseball cap
Gold: backwards baseball cap, tuft of hair sticking out
Brendan: Weird spikey toque (or a bandana with white hair sticking out if you prefer that idea)
Lucas: Red cabby hat, facing forwards. Would be cooler if it was backwards, as that is how I wear mine :P
B&W: while a good overall design, the hat is back to front facing baseball cap.

Other games:
Wes: sweet ass glasses, but no hat
Michael: headband with his vegeta power scouter thing. Also had goggles, but around his neck.
Lunick (ranger 1): simple headband
Kellyn (ranger 2): Nothin' at all
Natsuya (Ranger 3): Goggles, and aside for the eyes I'd stick this guy in digimon over pokemon.
Snap: same as Kellyn

Lucas's design as a whole I felt was made much better in Platinum, but was still good in DP. Not the best protagonist, but far from the worst.

This shows the player's Water-type starter battling the Fire-type starter. Is it possible that this signals a change in the formula? Obviously DPPt had a random trainer battle with each starter, but would they really select that to show us? Or is this maybe just a demo that we aren't supposed to read anything into? Anyway, it's an odd choice of matchups to show.

I took the Reshiram sprite off of the official site. I'm not really sure why people think the one on Serebii is bad quality, I can't tell the difference between that and the one on the official site, but whatever.

As I was erasing the backround, I noticed that it seemed to fade into the outline, which made it look much smoother from a distance. Normally, that could be caused by the image being saved as a .jpg image but that can't be the case for this because there are no random dots of grey in the white parts on Reshiram's body.

Also, now that I look at the clearer map of Isshu, I'm certain that the Pokemon League is at the top.

Edit: Forgot to give it a clear backround.

Edit2: Res, they're both Lv.20 and would have already been able to evolve (which your rival does as soon as they can), so I doubt it represents a real in game battle.

who is Zaruga and Zorua? Is there such pokemon announced in black and white?
i dont like the name zoroark, its just a ripoff of some old mexico legends, so i call Zaruga instead.

holy shit, zekrom sprite is massive win, i already loved this guy before but now i am getting his version no matter what.

This shows the player's Water-type starter battling the Fire-type starter. Is it possible that this signals a change in the formula? Obviously DPPt had a random trainer battle with each starter, but would they really select that to show us? Or is this maybe just a demo that we aren't supposed to read anything into? Anyway, it's an odd choice of matchups to show.
Demo shots have shown the un-evolved starters squaring off against the legendaries.

I wouldn't read into it too much.

I like Reshiram's sprite, but I like Zekrom's Dragon/Electric typing. Fuck. Also, can anyone explain the update on Serebii about the C-Gear? Does this mean you can play with friends during the story?!

Kind of late, but Telekinesis is just baffling to me. If it's basically Worry Seed for Levitate, I can't figure out a purpose other than getting rid of opponents' good abilities--which could have been done and probably done better with Skill Swap. Or at least in singles; it might be okay in doubles. If it adds a "using Fly" effect to do things like doubling the power of Twister and Gust, then that would be unique but even more pointless.

Well Worry Seed is only useful get rid of your opponent's useful abilities (in Singles anyway). It should be good to use with Slaking and Regigigas in Doubles because it gives them a Ground immunity as well as taking away their useless abilities. There's a chance you can use it on yourself as well to make it like a psuedo-Magnet Rise.

TheMaskedNitpicker

Triple Threat
is a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Worry Seed doesn't work on Slaking, so if Telekinesis does replace the target's ability with Levitate, I doubt it'll work on Slaking either.

It's probably more of a Magnet Rise effect, though. The question I have is, does it deal damage as well?

You're reading into it too much; that's a wifi or link battle over the C-Gear function. See the timer above Mijumaru's head? Wifi/random battles are timed now.

Oh wow, Tsutarja, Gear, and especially Shimama have terrible sprites. It's really disappointing. I'm hoping everything won't look as bad animated, but..

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
is a Pokemon Researcher
A lot of the sprites seem to be distorted from animating or camera angles in pics, or are just plain beta.

Wait for the game to be released before you make judgment.

A lot of the sprites seem to be distorted from animating or camera angles in pics, or are just plain beta.

Wait for the game to be released before you make judgment.
Yeah, after I posted and actually looked at the angle of Shimama's picture I figured there was probably some zooming distortion going on.

I don't think the sprites are in the beta stages anymore. The game's to be released in a few months and Tsutarja's been featured in a bunch of shots, same with Pokabu.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
is a Pokemon Researcher
There were a fair amount of beta stuff in D/P we thought was finalized but didn't quite make it. Like the new natures.

You never know.

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
There were a fair amount of beta stuff in D/P we thought was finalized but didn't quite make it. Like the new natures.
I'm sure that was a mistranslation or shit like that.

And would you look at that, we hav icy mountains on both sides of Isshu. Cute.

And what is that thing on the middle, uniting both mountains? Is that a new National Park?

EDIT: Wait what why is Chiramii number 078, shouldn't it be this gen's rodent wtf is this

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 8)