Ask a simple question, get a simple answer - mark 23 (READ THE OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.
When confused, your Pokemon has a 25% chance of successfully pulling off a move, 25% chance of snapping out of confusion, and a 50% chance of hitting yourself in confusion every turn.
Oh...so that means that when you get the "Pokemon is confused" message after you select an attack, the odds are against you.

Actually, it's still a 50% of successfully pulling off a move.
So wait...where did the 25% chance of successfully performing a move come from?

Do you mean there's a 25% chance of snapping out, but in the 75% chance you don't, then there's a 50/50 shot of attacking or hurting yourself confusion?

So wait...where did the 25% chance of successfully performing a move come from?

Do you mean there's a 25% chance of snapping out, but in the 75% chance you don't, then there's a 50/50 shot of attacking or hurting yourself confusion?
There is a 25% chance of staying confused but hitting the other pokemon, a 25% chance of snapping out of confusion all together and hitting the other pokemon, and a 50% chance of hitting yourself.

The mistaken belief that the confusion mechanic works differently in generation 4 is probably due to the changed chance that a frozen Pokemon will be defrosted each turn, namely 25%.

There is a 25% chance of staying confused but hitting the other pokemon, a 25% chance of snapping out of confusion all together and hitting the other pokemon, and a 50% chance of hitting yourself.
You just repeated what Scepticallistic originally said. That doesn't help me understand at all.

Something doesn't make sense, or I'm just retarded.

So how it is a 25% chance of performing an attack while confused when it's also apparently a 50/50 gamble?

^No, Swift Swim boosts aren't actual stat boosts so they don't get passed.

You just repeated what Scepticallistic originally said. That doesn't help me understand at all.

So how it is a 25% chance of performing attack while confused when it's also apparently a 50/50 gamble?

Because the 25% of snapping out of confusion still lets you make a move.

So how it is a 25% chance of performing an attack while confused when it's also apparently a 50/50 gamble?

25% chance you snap out of confusion and hit the other pokemon, 25% chance you stay confused but hit the other pokemon means you've got a 50% chance of hitting the other pokemon. Then it's a 50% chance you stay confused and hit yourself. Hope that helps?

@ Hutch and Scep,

Yes, that makes sense now thanks. So what I said was true then?

Oh...so that means that when you get the "Pokemon is confused" message after you select an attack, the odds are against you.
To elaborate:

When you get the "Pokemon is confused" message with ducks swirling around your Pokemon's head (if animation is on), then the odds are against you - 25% chance of attacking, 50% chance of hitting yourself. Right?

When you get the "Pokemon is confused" message with ducks swirling around your Pokemon's head (if animation is on), then the odds are against you - 25% chance of attacking, 50% chance of hitting yourself. Right?
Then what happened to the other 25% in the grand scheme of things? It's the chance for you to be completely free of confusion, but you still successfully pull off a move. In short, you have a 50% of hitting yourself in confusion and 50% (25% + 25%) of pulling off a move against the opponent.

@ Hutch and Scep,

Yes, that makes sense now thanks. So what I said was true then?

To elaborate:

lol no, 50% of attacking 50% of hitting yourself. You have 3 options
1. You hit yourself in confusion-50% chance
2. You snap out of confusion AND hit the other pokemon-25%
3. You stay confused BUT attack the other pokemon-25%

So 50% hit yourself and 50% you hit the other pokemon because you add 2 and 3 together since they both involve you hitting the other pokemon

Then what happened to the other 25% in the grand scheme of things? It's the chance for you to be completely free of confusion, but you still successfully pull off a move. In short, you have a 50% of hitting yourself in confusion and 50% (25% + 25%) of pulling off a move against the opponent.

Cause when you snap out, it gives you the message "POKEMON has snapped out of it's confusion!" or something like that. Therefore when you get the "Pokemon is confused" message, that 25% chance of snapping out is eliminated. Yes?...No?

I think you guys might be doing this wrong. There's a 25% chance that you'll snap out of confusion and a 75% chance that you won't. Then, out of that 75%, there's a 50% chance to hit yourself and a 50% chance to attack correctly. So there's a 25% chance that you'll snap out of confusion, a 37.5% chance to hit yourself, and a 37.5% chance to still be confused but get the attack off. Unless, of course, I'm understanding the mechanics of confusion wrong.

I think you guys might be doing this wrong. There's a 25% chance that you'll snap out of confusion and a 75% chance that you won't. Then, out of that 75%, there's a 50% chance to hit yourself and a 50% chance to attack correctly. So there's a 25% chance that you'll snap out of confusion, a 37.5% chance to hit yourself, and a 37.5% chance to still be confused but get the attack off. Unless, of course, I'm understanding the mechanics of confusion wrong.
That's what I thought was after Scep said it was still a 50/50 chance...look at post #3504.

All this confusion talk is making me confused! lol

Hmmm after all my replies I'm a bit ashamed to say I cannot find my source for my claims. I remember reading it somewhere but I've received contradicting facts.

v_v I no longer know how confusion works.

Alright, wtf! I'm breeding a starmie holding a power lens and lighting fusions modest ditto holding an everstone and the first like 7 have all been a random nature! Does the power item cancel out the everstone trick or do I just have to keep waiting and be patient?

Oh ok

If I start over Platinum, I'll lose my Rotom Key as well right?
Yes, although, if you have a friend that also has Platinum, I think you could trasfer the event card to them, restart your game, and have them transfer it back.

The wording that Bulbapedia has seems to indicate that it's a straight-up 50% chance to hit yourself with Confusion so I might be wrong. Someone in the DP research thread might be able to give you a definative answer.

Yes, although, if you have a friend that also has Platinum, I think you could trasfer the event card to them, restart your game, and have them transfer it back.

The wording that Bulbapedia has seems to indicate that it's a straight-up 50% chance to hit yourself with Confusion so I might be wrong. Someone in the DP research thread might be able to give you a definative answer.
How do I do that? Can Wi-Fi work?

Nah I'm pretty sure you're correct.

Bulbapedia probably didn't factor in the chance of snapping out is all.

Hutch3:

The possible cause is that the two Pokemon come from different language versions, since the so-called "Masuda method" will change the egg's personality ID, and therefore possibly also its nature, if it doesn't result in a shiny egg.

Alright, wtf! I'm breeding a starmie holding a power lens and lighting fusions modest ditto holding an everstone and the first like 7 have all been a random nature! Does the power item cancel out the everstone trick or do I just have to keep waiting and be patient?
No. They both work. Are your Pokemon from different language games? That won't allow an Everstone to work.

EDIT: Beaten to the punch. *shrugs*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)