Not open for further replies.

B-Lulz

Now Rusty and Old
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-bw/618.shtml

---------------------------------------------------------

[Overview]

• Unique typing with Ground/Electric
  • Is quite bulky and can generally take a weak to medium power Super Effective hit.
  • Its offenses are just awful, neither having the movepool or the stats to back them up, and loses to a lot of Pokemon as a result.
  • Speed is absolutely terrible, it is slower than Bronzong and is a waste of a slot on a Trick Room team, but at least this makes Curse viable.
[SET]
name: Curse
move 1: Curse
move 2: Earthquake
move 3: Payback
move 4: Rock Slide / Rest
item: Leftovers
ability: Static
nature: Careful
evs: 180 HP / 76 Atk / 252 Sp.Def

Set Comments:

• Once gets a Curse can actually be pretty hard to take down.
  • Earthquake is for its main STAB attack, and will deal quite a bit of damage to things not built to tank Physical hits.
  • Payback is a nice, complement to Earthquake, almost always being 100 Base Power, it can hurt after you get a few Curses on the board.
  • Last slot is dependant on whether you want extra coverage or survivability. Rock Slide is great to hit Pokemon like Salamence and Gyarados, whilst Rest can recover HP and status.
  • EV's give 404 hit points as a base number, rest go into Special Defense for maximum survivability to special attacks, and the leftovers go into Attack to attempt to raise that pitiful stat.
Additional Comments:

• Rock Slide is recommended over Rest, simply because Maggyo has so many weaknesses that can be exploited easily, that it is best to go all out offense on this set.
  • It is very much best to wait until late game to use this set, when threats such as Doryuuzu have been mopped up so you can begin your potential sweep.
  • You can run Sassy if you want, just in case someone decides to run Trick Room and uses min Speed Bronzong, then you can get a Curse in before it Earthquakes you.
Teammates & Counters:
  • Things that can take Ground, Water, Grass and Ice attacks are much appreciated. Bronzong and Skarmory come to mind as they take all these attacks.
  • Toxic Spikes are a great asset to this set, helping wear down its potential counters. Roserade is a good choice, as well as Pendoraa for setting these up.
  • If any decently hitting Ground type gets in on this set before 2 Curses, you have pretty much lost Maggyo. Randorusu, with its Flying type, can come in on Earthquake or Curse and obliterate Maggyo.
  • Skarmory walls this fairly easily and can Whirlwind you out if you become a threat. Same can be said for Swampert and Hippowdon, who can also just Earthquake you.
  • If there is no Rock Slide, Flying types like Gyarados and Salamence can spam Intimidate if they want, or hit you with Super Effective moves.
[Team Options]
  • Toxic Spikes are almost a necessity for Maggyo. Without it, it loses to a lot of Pokemon for the simple fact it can't hit hard enough. As previously mentioned Roserade and Pendoraa are your best options. Pendoraa and Maggyo don't share any weaknesses and are both relatively bulky, making a good partnership.
  • Something to take on Ground types is also essential, since even at +1 Maggyo cannot afford to take Earthquakes from any decent threat. Birijion resists Earthquake and outspeeds Randorusu, and hits hard with its STAB Grass attacks.
  • Since Maggyo is more often than not seen on a bulkier team, Stealth Rock can be used but it is not necessitated. Still, Bronzong and Skarmory make good team-mates for Maggyo anyway and using Stealth Rock doesn't hurt them either way.
[Optional Changes]
  • Can run a bulky set with Substitute and Toxic, to stall, but it really doesn't work all that well and there are far better Pokemon to do that with.
  • Can run Spark but it is such low power it isn't worth it anyway.
  • If you do choose to use a non Curse set, use Specially based attacks. Thunderbolt, Earth Power and Boiling Water have quite good coverage together, but even then it is still let down by Maggyo's pitiful Special Attack stat.
  • Balloon can be run on the Curser, if you feel that getting away with a Ground attack for one turn is worth it.
[Counters]
  • Randorusu can take almost anything and OHKO with Earthquake. Doryuuzu with Balloon also achieves this.
  • Strong Water types such as Starmie and Suicine, if they come in not hitting an Electric attack can cripple or KO Maggyo with Hydro Pump.
  • Birijion takes nothing from any of its attacks and sets up on it, as does Breloom.
  • Skarmory can set up Spikes and Whirlwind out Maggyo if it becomes any kind of threat from its Curses.
  • Salamence can Intimidate and Dragon Dance alongside Maggyo, and will win due to the sheer power of its Earthquakes. Garchomp also takes pitiful damage from its attacks and OHKO's with Earthquake.
[Dream World]
  • Maggyo gets Sand Veil in Dream World.
  • Since its other abilities are fairly useless, Sand Veil could help it in a variety of situations, since Sandstorm is in the majority of matches. It can run a set with either Brightpowder or Balloon to help avoid attacks better.

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I think this analysis was done incorrectly. The best thing that Maggyo can do is abuse status (Static, Discharge, Yawn, Boiling Water, Toxic). There isn't even a mention of Pain Split or Yawn in the analysis. No one would ever use the Curse set while something like Discharge, Yawn, Earth Power, Pain Split with heavy HP and SpD investment is at least useable. 109 HP and 99 SpD is actually extremely bulky and 81 base Special Attack is not terrible at all, let alone "awful". Its special movepool is also pretty good with access to Thunderbolt, Earth Power, Discharge, Boiling Water, and Surf. It even gets access to Sleep Talk via TM, meaning it has recovery outside of Pain Split.

I agree Maggyo isn't the greatest Pokemon, but it should not be downplayed to this level.

B-Lulz

Now Rusty and Old
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I think this analysis was done incorrectly. The best thing that Maggyo can do is abuse status (Static, Discharge, Yawn, Boiling Water, Toxic). There isn't even a mention of Pain Split or Yawn in the analysis. No one would ever use the Curse set while something like Discharge, Yawn, Earth Power, Pain Split with heavy HP and SpD investment is at least useable. 109 HP and 99 SpD is actually extremely bulky and 81 base Special Attack is not terrible at all, let alone "awful". Its special movepool is also pretty good with access to Thunderbolt, Earth Power, Discharge, Boiling Water, and Surf. It even gets access to Sleep Talk via TM, meaning it has recovery outside of Pain Split.

I agree Maggyo isn't the greatest Pokemon, but it should not be downplayed to this level.
Yeah i found out the Sleep Talk thing last night, and i'm going to test it out later when i've played around a bit with Kokoromori. The simple fact is though, is that its weaknesses are so easily exploited in the current 'OU' matagame that even with its bulk it is 1 and 2HKO'd by many common Pokemon, especially on the Special side. (It can get around its Ground weakness with Balloon, so i'll add that in). I tried a status set and it plain didn't work, i'll try it again with Yawn over Toxic, because I think that can work better (or maybe both).

I'll try another Special Attacking set as well but from the sets I tested (2 with Special, 1 with Curse) Curse was the best set. You are free to give a different opinion but I honestly found in the current metagame that Maggyo is better as a Curse user, unless you want me to put in every set I test, even though 2/3 worked awfully.

Utilizing Rest without Sleep Talk is a generally horrible idea now since Sleep Counters reset after you switch now IMO.

Maggyo is pretty crappy, I agree, but there are plenty more set it could utilize. It may be outclassed, sure, but that doesn't mean those sets should not get a mention. Just say in the analysis that "_____ outclasses Maggyo at _____."

I'd have to agree with Stellar that a status set could be mentioned, with, maybe, Pain Split, Discharge, Boiling Water, and Yawn or Earth Power.

No one would ever use the Curse set while something like Discharge, Yawn, Earth Power, Pain Split with heavy HP and SpD investment is at least useable. 109 HP and 99 SpD is actually extremely bulky and 81 base Special Attack is not terrible at all, let alone "awful".
This is actually a reason to sue Curse. Curse lets Maggyo "wall" special attacks, as well as physical attacks. It also increases its Atk to a somewhat useable level after 2 or 3 Curses.

Utilizing Rest without Sleep Talk is a generally horrible idea now since Sleep Counters reset after you switch now IMO.
Snorlax uses Curse/Rest/EQ/BodySlam on his Curse set, and it's actually a pretty good idea, imo. As, Maggyo would easily get walled with only one attacking move.

One last thing:
It even gets access to Sleep Talk via TM, meaning it has recovery outside of Pain Split.
I think you mean Egg Move.

Well i disagree with the fact that maggyo could even be possibly close to crappy. Yes it is outclassed by things hell everything is for certain roles. the key is to find something a poke can do that others can't. anyways i just wanted to post a set iv been using recently and i really like it, it walls alot of pokemon such as shandera, abagoora, tyranitar, flygon, and even infernape. as well as dealing a significant amount of damage (if not KOing) all of them:

Toxic Wall
Maggyo@Leftovers
Ability: Sand Veil/Static
Nature: Calm
HP: 252
Def: 112
SpDef: 144
--------------
Toxic
Protect/Earth power
Surf/Boil Over/Earth Power
Tbolt/discharge

This set is pretty self-explanatory. It's meant to take hits while stalling toxic with protect and throw in a few hits of its own. Tbolt is perferred due to more power but double and triple battles may call for discharge, boil over is good to help wall steel and poison types once you get the burn in. If you rather have coverage > stalling ability (or maybe you already have a status staller) you can replace protect with earth power, or if you already have a water coverage you can use earth power > surf/boil over. If you dont need the burn chance or just want more power you can use surf > boil over. its a very flexible set and can work in many ways. please consider and test it out and hopefully its worthy of being in this analysis.

thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)