Underrated Little Cup Pokemon

There are a lot of Pokemon in Little Cup that I feel are so much better than most people think. A lot of Pokemon have overlooked tricks they got in gen V, and I would like to discuss the effectiveness of some of these Pokemon.

Ponyta is one of the fastest Pokemon in Little Cup, hitting 19 Speed. It's also one of the strongest, hitting 18 Attack with a neutral nature. Ponyta has a good physical movepool with Flare Blitz, Wild Bolt and Return hitting all but Rock/Ground types (and Giratina if that matters). Ponyta has access to Morning Sun as recovery and resists one of the most used priority moves, Bullet Punch. Ponyta also has access to Quick Attack and can run an effective mixed set. Ponyta gets Agility and STAB Nitro Charge to boost its already spectacular Speed. With a Life Orb, Ponyta has to ability to 2HKO almost everything in the game.

This thing has decent defenses, great HP, a great ability, and a perfect movepool, consisting of everything Wynaut needs. With Encore + Shadow Tag, Wynaut guarantees a free turn for anything you need to set up, and is useful for easily removing Choice Scarf users that can threaten your sweepers by using its famous CounterCoat combination. With Destiny Bond, Wynaut can easily take down two Pokemon, easily carrying its own weight, and force a Pokemon to set up or faint. If they attack, they faint too; if they set up, you set up too and most likely they faint. Wynaut is quite the team player and can easily fit on most teams. In my opinion, every team needs a Wynaut.

How did you not see this coming. Elekid is totally underrated. With a Jolly nature, Elekid hits 20 Speed, which is just insane. Elekid also has a stellar movepool and can easily run a mixed set with his new toys, Wild Bolt and Volt Change. Elekid has the ability to run a Life Orb set with the ability to hit 19 HP by lowering its HP IVs and also makes a great Choice sweeper with one weakness and no weakness to Stealth Rock. Elekid also has access to Meditate to boost its average attack to high levels and access to Quick Attack, allowing it to revenge all those yucky sweepers. Elekid even gets Ice Punch, allowing it to beat Gligar as it outspeeds it.

There are a few more but those are the ones I thought I'd address. Comment away

Index edit: I'm no longer updating this so don't cry if your set isn't posted here =)

Baruchai @ Oran Berry
Trait: Broken Armor
EVs: 36 HP / 240 SAtk / 200 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Nasty Plot
- Air Slash
- Dark Pulse
- Hidden Power [Fighting]

Baruchai @ Oran Berry
Trait: Broken Armor
EVs: 36 HP / 236 Atk / 200 Spd
Naive Nature (+Spd, -SDef)
- Brave Bird
- Payback
- Roost
- Hidden Power [Fighting]

Gligar @ Evolution Stone
Trait: Hyper Cutter
EVs: 236 HP / 236 Atk
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Rock Polish
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Roost

Grimer @ Oran Berry / Evolution Stone
Trait: Sticky Hold
EVs: 196 Atk / 196 Def / 116 SDef
- Shadow Sneak
- Poison Jab / Gunk Shot
- Ice Punch
- Fire Punch

Koromori @ Evolution Stone
Trait: Unaware
EVs: 240 HP / 16 Def / 16 SpD / 180 Spe
Timid nature (+Spe, -Atk)
- Calm Mind
- Roost
- Assist Power
- Hidden Power [Flying]

Larvitar @ Flame Orb
Trait: Guts
EVs: 36 HP / 244 Atk / 36 Def / 188 Spe
Jolly nature (+Spe, -SAtk)
- Rock Polish / Dragon Dance
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge / Rock Slide
- Crunch

Magnemite @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Magnet Pull
EVs: 236 SAtk / 236 Spd
Timid nature (+Spe, -Atk)
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Change
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Flash Cannon

Mankey @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Vital Spirit
EVs: 196 HP / 116 Atk / 196 Spe
Jolly Nature (+Spe, -SAtk)
- Death Gambit
- Close Combat
- U-Turn
- Ice Punch

Mantyke @ Life Orb
Trait: Swift Swim
EVs: 36 Def / 200 SAtk / 36 SDef / 196 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Rain Dance
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Slowpoke @ Evolution Stone
Trait: Regeneration
EVs: 196 HP / 236 Def / 36 SAtk / 36 SDef
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Slack Off
- Psychic
- Boil Over
- Yawn / Ice Beam / Fire Blast

Swablu @ Evolution Stone Trait: Cloud Nine
EVs: 236 HP / 36 Def / 236 SDef
Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Roost
- Cotton Guard
- Toxic
- Pluck

Voltorb @ Life Orb
Trait: Static
EVs: 36 Atk / 40 Def / 236 SpA / 196 Spe
Hasty nature (+Spe, -Def)
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Explosion
- Sucker Punch

Washibon (M) @ Oran Berry
Trait: Hustle
EVs: 60 HP / 252 Atk / 196 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Claw Sharpen
- Pluck
- Return
- Shadow Claw

kokoloko

what matters is our plan!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
When you speak of Elekid's LO set, you mention 19 speed, but I'm sure you mean 19 HP =P

Anyway, a Pokemon which I think is severely underrated is Scarf Megnemite. I use this set in a Sandstorm team I have:

Magnemite @ Choice Scarf
Timid / Magnet Pull
236 SAtk / 236 Spd
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Change
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Flash Cannon <- basically filler.

It helps beat and/or weaken Moguryuu's two main counters, Gligar and Bronzor, while also providing a decent revenge killer and scout with Volt Change. Being immune to Sandstorm is a plus as well.

Grimer, It has a great defensive typing in this metagame. Poison resists fighting without taking super effective damage from the common coverage moves (dark/rock). It also has Shadow sneak for priority and to hit most ghosts hard, Gunk shot which hits like a truck. Fire punch for Tesshido and Bronzor, and Ice punch for Gligar. I've tested it and it really works in this meta.

Grimer (M) @ Oran Berr/Evostone Trait: Stench
- Shadow Sneak
- Gunk Shot
- Ice Punch
- Fire Punch

When you speak of Elekid's LO set, you mention 19 speed, but I'm sure you mean 19 HP =P

Anyway, a Pokemon which I think is severely underrated is Scarf Megnemite. I use this set in a Sandstorm team I have:

Magnemite @ Choice Scarf
Timid / Magnet Pull
236 SAtk / 236 Spd
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Change
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Flash Cannon <- basically filler.

It helps beat and/or weaken Moguryuu's two main counters, Gligar and Bronzor, while also providing a decent revenge killer and scout with Volt Change. Being immune to Sandstorm is a plus as well.
oops changed to HP. I doubt this matters, but you want 240 Speed because HP Ice leaves you with 30 Speed IVs. Yeah, that Magnemite works like a beast. I had to use it because I'm writing its analysis and I can say that 90% of people don't even expect scarf Magnemite (which is odd because it can be compared to Magnezone which is commonly scarfed). Volt Change was a big plus this generation too. Flash Cannon is actually not really a filler IMO but necessary to hit Thick Fat Swinub and OHKO Onix.

Grimer, It has a great defensive typing in this metagame. Poison resists fighting without taking super effective damage from the common coverage moves (dark/rock). It also has Shadow sneak for priority and to hit most ghosts hard, Gunk shot which hits like a truck. Fire punch for Tesshido and Bronzor, and Ice punch for Gligar. I've tested it and it really works in this meta.

Grimer (M) @ Oran Berr/Evostone Trait: Stench
- Shadow Sneak
- Gunk Shot
- Ice Punch
- Fire Punch
I would use Sticky Hold over Stench because it does something. Grimer is actually pretty underrated but it's also pretty out of place in the Meditite/Gligar infested metagame. That could very well work though, havn't tried it, but looks good. One quick question though, would Poison Jab be more beneficial due to its better accuracy? Plus, I don't know if Evolution Stone is as good as solid recovery. Since you're not running and HP EVs, Grimer hits 24 HP so Leftovers is actually viable (24 is divisible by 8)

iss

let's play bw lc!
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I don't see the underrated part. Wynaut and Elekid are very well-known, and Ponyta sorta sucks when you realize it dies to a stiff breeze and has a terribly shallow movepool. Double Kick for coverage? Seriously?

Wynaut and Elekid aren't used nearly as much as they should be IMO and aren't credited enough for what they're worth. Plus, Ponyta has awesome Speed and Attack, and has great coverage in Little Cup, hitting everything except for Geodude, Onix and Ryhorn (and tell me how often you see those) with Flare Blitz / Wild Bolt / Return. Any player with a shred of prediction will know when to switch Ponyta out and in too, and it's not as frail as you think. It just seems like it dies to everything with because of all the recoil it takes after tearing the opposing team to shreds.

Ponyta is awesome and not used enough, perhaps. Houndour has excellent STABs and triply powerful priority, but Ponyta is faster and has more options for mixiness, and can get past Munchlax. Also, Agility.

Wynaut and Elekid are used quite a bit, though. And everyone agrees they are quite good.

I've had a LO Voltorb played against me, it was a great cleaner.

move 1: Thunderbolt
move 2: Hidden Power Ice
move 3: Explosion
move 4: Sucker Punch
item: Life Orb
ability: Static
nature: Hasty
evs: 36 Atk / 40 Def / 236 SpA / 196 Spe

Explosion kind of sucks now. I can see Elekid playing something simular to that with Ice Punch over Hidden Power Ice and Cross Chop of Explosion, then Quick Attack over Sucker Punch. Same concept, different way to do it. They both hit 20 speed which is absolutely awesome though. The question is: Does Voltorb actually need Sucker Punch? It out speeds all psychics and ghosts anyway. Maybe it could be useful for revenge killing though. Plus, Voltorb hits that super-sexy 19 HP.

Does no one else like Hitomoshi? It's a really good Trick Room setter and sweeper with its big old 65 SpAtk and 20 Speed. I think it's pretty good as far as Trick Room options, up there with Bronzor, and Yuniran. If only they weren't all so Zuruugu weak...

I think Trick Room in general is underrated in LC. I've used it to pretty decent success on ladder, and it's got a lot of advantages you typically don't see. Curse Tesshiido! Bulk Up Dokkora! (wreck Zuruugu, just like Roobushin does for Zuruzukin) Calm Mind Yuniran! Magnemite that isn't choice! Curse Munchlax!

Hitomoshi is weak. 17 SpA isn't strong enough to really compare it to Shandera. It's pretty unique though, I can't really compare it to anything. It certainly has a niche in trapping. Curse Tessh is raped by any far attack bar Incinerate. Dokkora is outclassed by Zuruggu because ShedRest and STAB Crunch; CM Yuniran is raped by Carvanha and Komatana which are very common in LC, and lots of people use non-choice Magnemite :/

Curse Munchlax, however, is awesome and underrated. That's my opinion at least.

iss

let's play bw lc!
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Hitomoshi is NOT weak. Next time you try taking a STABed Fire Blast to the face off of 17 SpA, tell me it's weak again.

I just do it with Flash Fire Ponyta.
And your pretty right about that, but I just consider it weak because I'm constantly comparing it to Shandera. I would expect it to have 22 Special Attack, not 17, but whatever. At least it still gets Shadow Tag

Eh, forgot about Explosion. :/

Larvitar is fucking awesome, though.

Larvitar @ Flame Orb
Guts
36 HP / 244 Atk / 36 Def / 188 Spe
Adamant / Jolly
~ Rock Polish / Dragon Dance
~ Earthquake
~ Stone Edge / Rock Slide
~ Crunch
36 HP / 244 Atk / 36 Def / 188 Spe

Guts boosted, after a dd, unresisted coverage, immune to status, STAB Edgequake...squee.

In this age of slow boosty pokemon rather than fast sweepers, Larvitar has the muscle to power through even Evo-stone'd walls. With the advent of seeing teams, you can predict incoming Dokkora and Meditite and hit them with STAB Guts Earthquake.

Even more after writing the analysis, I feel obliged to mention Natu. With Magic Mirror, it's impossible to stop it's Dual Screens without having to OHKO it since it's immune to Taunt. With Evolution Stone, it's nearly impossible to do so. It also provides Wish Support to sweepers who might need an Oran boost while holding an Evo Stone.

This screens help aforementioned Pokemon such as Larvitar to setup and sweep.

Engineer Pikachu

Good morning, you bastards!
is a Contributor Alumnus
Wynaut and Elekid are definitely not underused; I see them on at least 15% of teams. Something that I personally think is underused, however, is Koffing. It has ridiculous bulk with Evo Stone if you run a specially bulky set with WoW, and STAB Sludge Bomb hurts most everything.

I play LC sometimes, so i don't know if this is a standard set or not. I use it, and love it, mostly because i can switch in and beat Zuruggu bar a critical hit:

Mankey @ Choice Scarf
Vital Spirit / Jolly Nature
196hp/116Atk/196Spe
Moves:
Death Gambit
Close Combat
U-Turn
Ice Punch

This thing fills many roles. It boasts the highest HP Death Gambit in LC (Alongside Starly), has amazing STAB in Close Combat, and can even be a scout if need be. Ice Punch is mostly filler, but it can help with the situational dragon-type.

Baruchai.

You'd be surprised at the effectiveness of Broken Armor/Choice Band/Brave Bird. Just switch into an obvious Fake Out, get plenty of speed and attack, then sweep.

I would use Sticky Hold over Stench because it does something. Grimer is actually pretty underrated but it's also pretty out of place in the Meditite/Gligar infested metagame. That could very well work though, havn't tried it, but looks good. One quick question though, would Poison Jab be more beneficial due to its better accuracy? Plus, I don't know if Evolution Stone is as good as solid recovery. Since you're not running and HP EVs, Grimer hits 24 HP so Leftovers is actually viable (24 is divisible by 8)
Actually stench now provides a chance of flinching, which is nice with SS, I use Gunk shot for the raw power, but Poison Jab could be a option. Both for evostone and for oran, defense evs are better than HP evs, but if you'd want to run lefties you could run more HP on him.

Engineer Pikachu

Good morning, you bastards!
is a Contributor Alumnus
Baruchai.

You'd be surprised at the effectiveness of Broken Armor/Choice Band/Brave Bird. Just switch into an obvious Fake Out, get plenty of speed and attack, then sweep.
And then the Fake Out user switches out into something else, you take recoil, and the Fake Out user switches back in and KOes you with it thanks to the Defense drop.

For those of you saying Wynaut isn't underused, it's #89 used on the stats and seen in 1.15% of all battles on PO. How is that not underused? Elekid is 6.27% which is still less than it should be, but not that bad. But really, even Magikarp is used more than Elekid (7.50%).

Nails

Double Threat
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
For those of you saying Wynaut isn't underused, it's #89 used on the stats and seen in 1.15% of all battles on PO. How is that not underused? Elekid is 6.27% which is still less than it should be, but not that bad. But really, even Magikarp is used more than Elekid (7.50%).
Those aren't smogon stats. yes it matters.

Elekid and Wynaut are NOT underrated. Imo, Elekid is a bit overrated, since evo stone takes away a lot of its power (gligar hard counters it, ice punch doesn't ohko max hp versions with evo stone. Duskull lols at it.

For an underrated pokemon, munchlax is a tempting choice, but all the fighters give it issues. So, my choice is... --->MANTYKE <---
It resists fighting, and can set up rain for itself and stopping the opponent's. Its stabs hit all of the main weather abusers super effectively (grass (snover and sun sweepers) with HP flying, fire and ground with water) and base 120 Special Defense lets it tank special hits like no one's business. Not to mention a life orb hydro pump in the rain ohkoes non-evo stone munchlax. That is an underrated pokemon.

Moo

Professor
is an Artist Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Mixed Priority Croagunk is like.... the best LC poke EVER!.
Priority is so important in Little Cup and Croagunk has fake out and awesome coverage with Vacuum Wave and Sucker Punch.
Use it :D

Also: lol @ 123rd post

Kabuto. I never see other people using him, but I really like him.
It can set up rocks, it can spin away hazards, it has STAB priority, it can take a more offensive route and boost its attack with Claw Sharpen, it's an obvious beast in the rain with Swift Swim, or if you're not using it in the rain it has Battle Armor to block annoying crits. With no HP investment it hits 19 HP meaning it's perfect for Life Orb, and STAB LO Aqua Jet is great for revenging stuff. =)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)