np: OU Suspect Testing Round 3 - So Long and Thanks for all the Fish

Status
Not open for further replies.
I never stated Tyranitar isn't a counter to Latios. Also, i needn't replace a move, DM/Surf/Trick/HP is the common Specs set, i just use hidden power fighting instead of fire. "Accusing Jibaku of lying about his experiences"? When the hell did i do that?

As someone who has been using Shell Break Gorebyss excessively last suspect round, i'd like to inform you it's walled and OHKOed by Nattorei, while Roar was (and prolly still is) a very common move on Vaporeon. Now that Gorebyss lost Swift Swim, it can be revenged by any Scarfed poke too. It isn't a serious threat. Even if it storms the ladder, it's not as dangerous as Cloyster.

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Boring post coming up

Firstly, I carry HP fighting on my Specs Latios, which, if you don't want to predict, cleanly 2HKOs your specially defensive T-tar
Alright HP Fighting you got me. Okay so how many Latioses do you see have HP Fighting? You are calling my method a flaw simply because only YOU use the mov, and then expect me to be facing HP Fighting Latioses from every one that I see?.
Secondly, specially defensive T-tar is set-up fodder for a heck of a lot of pokes (Roob, Natt, Skarm, etc), which makes it a hinderance on every team it's in
What you're telling me here is that if any x Pokemon gets set up on by y common Pokemon, it becomes a hindrance. So what if a Pokemon is set up bait for y Pokemon? That doesn't mean anything if the set upper can't get past the other team members. Also I'm pretty sure there are lots of other Pokemon who gets set up on. Ferrothorn gets set up on by Reuniclus and Virizion. Doryuuzu gets set up on by Skarmory and Gliscor. What, you're calling these Pokemon hindrances? Oh for shame. Also my SpDef Tar has Fire Blast if I don't have Pursuit. I mean, I could have Ice Beam over that, but really what else would you have if you don't have Pursuit =/. SpDef TTar isn't as easy to set up on as you might imagine because its big movepool could end up killing your set upper.

Only Nattorei, Jirachi, Blissey and Heatran aren't flat-out 2HKOed from specs'd DM, while you'd need severe special defense investment for Scizor and Skarmory to be able to tank the hit with rocks up.
I have room on my team to sacrifice physical defense. This I'd call adaptation (I don't know about you people though). Whether I choose to SpDef my steels or not doesn't mater a whole lot because in a real match Latios wouldn't even live as long as it did in the example, and there would be other options to make if needed at that time. Even if Scizor doesn't have a lot of bulk specially, all I really need to do at that point is force it out, and given the above example, it'd be well below 50% at the time.

If you have 2 of these pokes however, it means your team carries two Latios checks, so it's no wonder you can deal with it without overpredicting.
Most TTar teams I've seen already have two Latios checks. Probably somewhat unintentionally (like me). There are other Pokemon to worry about that led to the usage of that "second Latios check".

As i've stated b4, -2 Latios isn't set-up fodder for anything but CM Rank. Specs DM still easily does over 50% to any sweeper (including Ulgamoth), to the point where they are revenged by any priority. The thing is extremely powerful, fast enough even in this new meta, and has multiple switch-in opportunities.
Really?
-2 Specs DM vs 0/0 Doryuuzu: 33%-40%. Sure it'll die to Roobushin/Azumarill Mach Punch/Aqua Jet, but it's enough to take on Scizor's Bullet Punch. Plus, Dory is OHKOed by Azu CB Aqua Jet at full health anyways -_-

vs. Terrakion in sand: 39%-46%
Better hope you aren't throwing these Draco Meteors like candy throughout the end of the game...I mean he'll die to priority, yes, but it doesn't take much more than 10% damage for it to be OHKOed by Azu Jet or Scizor BP.

Also Volcarona could be carrying Chestorest

Latios has multiple switch ins? In Sandstorm, Latios takes 28%-33% from Rotom-W Hydro Pump. Not much right? Add in SR and one Sandstorm damage (uupon switching in), and Latios is already at around 52%. If it makes a single attack it's down to ~46%. How much more can it switch into? In Rain, Latios is happy it's not going to be taking the residual sand damage, but it would have to take stronger water attacks (so in that example Rotom could do 42%-49% with HPump. Or it could throw a Thunder and possibly paralyze). That's just one example of it. For it to get multiple switch in opportunities, you're going to have to ensure SR isn't up and/or you have to send Latios in to a weak attack and/or sand isn't up . Or you can switch it into Earthquake, but just remember that they'll probably try to catch you on the switch.

Gorebyss isn't a sweeper. It's a bper. Natty walls? Lol here natty try out +2/+2 heatran for size.

Vaporeon is really it's biggest if not only counter- it's the phazer it can't really touch.

Gorebyss@White Herb
Surf
HP Grass(how much does this at +2 do to vappy?)/Ice beam
Shell Smash
Baton Pass

The two problem pokes are parasect (HP Grass, Spore) and Vappy (Ice beam, Roar). Parasect can be beaten by luring it out and getting it to activate sleep clause.
Or maybe just run HP electric+ice beam and drop surf. It's bping, not sweeping. And no one is insane enough to switch in roar heatran.

@Arc Tech: HP Grass doesn't do enough to Vaporeon.
Boring post coming up
Indeed.
Alright HP Fighting you got me. Okay so how many Latioses do you see have HP Fighting? You are calling my method a flaw simply because only YOU use the mov, and then expect me to be facing HP Fighting Latioses from every one that I see?
It will become the standard hidden power for Latios eventually. Tyranitar will soon be more common than Nattorei, and Latios users will figure out fighting>fire.
What you're telling me here is that if any x Pokemon gets set up on by y common Pokemon, it becomes a hindrance. So what if a Pokemon is set up bait for y Pokemon? That doesn't mean anything if the set upper can't get past the other team members. Also I'm pretty sure there are lots of other Pokemon who gets set up on. Ferrothorn gets set up on by Reuniclus and Virizion. Doryuuzu gets set up on by Skarmory and Gliscor. What, you're calling these Pokemon hindrances? Oh for shame. Also my SpDef Tar has Fire Blast if I don't have Pursuit. I mean, I could have Ice Beam over that, but really what else would you have if you don't have Pursuit =/. SpDef TTar isn't as easy to set up on as you might imagine because its big movepool could end up killing your set upper.
...that wasn't excactly the point, i wanted to focus on the difference between 252atk Adamant and 0atk Careful Tyranitar. While the latter gives Terakion, Roobushin, Blaziken, Breloom, etc free switch-ins and set-up opportunities, the former can at least dent these pokes with Superpower to the point where they'll be unable to maintain a sweep. In a fighting-centric metagame, sp.def. Ttar is a horrible choice, and the only reason why you'd use it is Latios. <- Overcentralization right here. Hell, Rankurusu can actually set up on sp.def. Ttar...

And yeah, I do, in fact, find Nattorei a hinderance for teams too, although I don't understand where you got the idea Dorry can be set-up on by Gliscor and Skarmory... If they use SD/Spikes instead of breaking Baloon/Whirlwinding away, they'll lose the matchup.
I have room on my team to sacrifice physical defense. This I'd call adaptation (I don't know about you people though). Whether I choose to SpDef my steels or not doesn't mater a whole lot because in a real match Latios wouldn't even live as long as it did in the example, and there would be other options to make if needed at that time. Even if Scizor doesn't have a lot of bulk specially, all I really need to do at that point is force it out, and given the above example, it'd be well below 50% at the time.

Most TTar teams I've seen already have two Latios checks. Probably somewhat unintentionally (like me). There are other Pokemon to worry about that led to the usage of that "second Latios check".
It's obvious you run a SS semi-stall team. I haven't seen it, but that's the only type of team which can actually handle Latios. "Adaption" doesn't mean "you MUST run SS semi-stall, otherwise you'll be raped by Latios"; adaption means "you need to tweak your EVs or change a pokemon on your team to be able to deal with Latios". Unfortunately, this cannot be performed with all strategies. You cannot put Jirachi in if your team is Ground weak, you cannot use Heatran with Drizzle or Tyranitar with Drought, and you cannot use Nattorei or Blissey in offensive teams.

The only reason why Latios isn't banned as of yet is because nearly everyone who qualified to vote carried two Latios counters in their teams (usually Tyranitar and Nattorei). Unfortunately, if your team doesn't include these pokes (because they don't fit with playstyles such as rain/sun offense or hail stall), you're likely to get smashed by it. This contradicts with Doug's desirable characteristic of the meatagame "VARIETY".

So here's a challenge for you. Test Drizzle offense, and try to make a conclusion on whether Latios is broken or not. You'll be surprised by how brutally he owns that playstyle. And stop arguing that he isn't broken just because YOU and you alone carry two Latios counters in your team. You can deal with Deoxys-A if your team includes Spiritomb and Jirachi, however that doesn't mean it's not broken.

I'd like to capitalize on the phrase "I choose to SpDef my steels". Being forced to tweak your EVs *just* for Latios while already having a sp.def. Tyranitar in your team shows overcentralization. If that's what one needs to do to... "adapt" to the metagame, then we might as well rename OU, not as "standard", rather as "metagame where only specifically designed to handle Latios teams can succeed". There's no variety whatsoever in the current OU.
Really?
-2 Specs DM vs 0/0 Doryuuzu: 33%-40%. Sure it'll die to Roobushin/Azumarill Mach Punch/Aqua Jet, but it's enough to take on Scizor's Bullet Punch. Plus, Dory is OHKOed by Azu CB Aqua Jet at full health anyways -_-

vs. Terrakion in sand: 39%-46%
Better hope you aren't throwing these Draco Meteors like candy throughout the end of the game...I mean he'll die to priority, yes, but it doesn't take much more than 10% damage for it to be OHKOed by Azu Jet or Scizor BP.

Also Volcarona could be carrying Chestorest
Of course I meant Steel-types too >_> What a great way to counter my arguments, clinging on a single phrase... Also Terakion takes a fairly big chunck the way i see it, and once more you assume there's sand up.
Latios has multiple switch ins? In Sandstorm, Latios takes 28%-33% from Rotom-W Hydro Pump. Not much right? Add in SR and one Sandstorm damage (uupon switching in), and Latios is already at around 52%. If it makes a single attack it's down to ~46%. How much more can it switch into? In Rain, Latios is happy it's not going to be taking the residual sand damage, but it would have to take stronger water attacks (so in that example Rotom could do 42%-49% with HPump. Or it could throw a Thunder and possibly paralyze). That's just one example of it. For it to get multiple switch in opportunities, you're going to have to ensure SR isn't up and/or you have to send Latios in to a weak attack and/or sand isn't up . Or you can switch it into Earthquake, but just remember that they'll probably try to catch you on the switch.
You seem to... "forget" or intentionally ignore the fact that attacks aren't used on every turn of the battle. How about Latios coming in on a double switch-in against something slower, Roobushin's Bulk up, Hippo's Slack Off, Gliscor's Protect, Shaymin's Rest, Roserade's Spikes or Infernape's Taunt? What will someone who doesn't carry two Latios counters do then? I'll let you know what: leave their poke in as death fodder, and experience the worst situation they ever will in the metagame - knowing the opponent will use Draco Meteor, and being unable to do anything about it.Also Earthquake is a very common move in OU, and Latios can switch in at least twice on Water-, Electric-, Psychic-, Fighting-, and Grass- type attacks, as your own example proves. Add all these safe switch-ins together, and you'll hopefully realize how many times Latios can fire off Draco Meteor. I've indirectly swept entire teams just by double-switching and DMing away when my opponent couldn't handle Latios. Your team can obviously handle him, but any other playstyle faces serious problems.

Latios is broken. If you don't want to ban him, at least limit him somehow.

You're contradicting yourself quite a bit here.
nearly everyone who qualified to vote carried two Latios counters in their teams (usually Tyranitar and Nattorei). [...] And stop arguing that he isn't broken just because YOU and you alone carry two Latios counters in your team.
adaption means "you need to tweak your EVs or change a pokemon on your team to be able to deal with Latios" [...] Being forced to tweak your EVs *just* for Latios while already having a sp.def. Tyranitar in your team shows overcentralization.
People are also already refuting your claims; you're just not reading them:
me said:
This generation is very different from last generation, and it shows with Tyranitar and Scizor running rather different sets despite not changing much. SpD Tyranitar is good now; I run a somewhat SpD spread and I don't see it as a hindrance to the team at all. Hell, I like that it can clutch SR after surviving random super effective moves.
Also, my sun team has some problems with Latios but it doesn't cause me to auto-lose. Latios is also among the least of my rain team's worries. Sand in general is much more threatening to both. I'm suspecting that you just want to preserve a certain really offensive playstyle.
What a great way to counter my arguments, clinging on a single phrase...
What are you talking about? He addressed the point exactly as it said.

@capefeather: You aren't really making a point, you're just licking Jibaku. You could at least inform us what role spD Tyranitar played in your team, since you argue it's "good" in the current metagame. In what sense excactly is it better than max atk Tyranitar, except from handling Latios better? What other special attacker can he deal with? Do you switch him in on Rotom-W or something?

alamaster

hello
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
@sxof

I got voting reqs with Drizzle offense two rounds in a row, and I saw many Latios. Never had an issue with it. No Tyranitar, no Nattorei. It is a great pokemon of course, but it must choose its moves wisely otherwise it could let something set up and sweep. Note this was with swift swim but your post said

The only reason why Latios isn't banned as of yet is because nearly everyone who qualified to vote carried two Latios counters in their teams (usually Tyranitar and Nattorei).
and I just wanted to bring up my experience to show it is indeed possible.

I reached 1350+ CRE with Drizzle last round too, and never had a problem with Latios (albeit no safe switch-in either), however, after SS+Drizzle on the same team got banned, he is impossible to stop. Now nothing can revenge him with Ice beam on Drizzle teams (Starmie doesn't OHKO), which adds to the overall "brokenness". I, for example, am forced to pursuit it with Scizor after it has KOed something. I would run Nattorei, however i dislike how it makes me lose my offensive momentum and is set-up on by a myriad of pokes. Drizzle offense is currently a playstyle nearly unviable with Latios around

alamaster

hello
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Well I think that's more just the fact that drizzle offense as a playstyle got nerfed, that is not nearly as viable as it once was. I don't think it's fair to blame Latios for making it unviable when so many other threats make it obsolete.

IMO this metagame is fairly balanced.
The ones that are being accused:
Lati@s: CB Scizor, 'nuff said.
Excadrill: Other weather. And Virizion.
Landurus: Other weather.
Reuniclus: Reminds me of Gengar. Tar comes in, FB misses, Reuniclus down.
Garchomp: Other weather. Without Sand Veil it can be beaten.
Salamence: Too slow.
Hydreigon: Also too slow.
Thundurus: Beats unprepared teams. easily prepared for.
Gorebyss: Nah. Beatable before it BPs

As for the idea of other complex bans: prove it. Don't take the Drizzle Swift Swim ban lightly. Sand Stream Sand Throw/Power is unlikely unless you prove it's broken.

Which other threats make it obsolete? For Nattorei one can use Magnezone/ Scizor/ Toxicroak/ Tentacruel/ etc. Toxicroak/ Tentacruel are full stops to Virizion. Voltlos's OHKOed by Starmie's Ice Beam or walled by Nattorei. Abomasnow's stopped cold by Scizor/ Nattorei. See? A defensive and an offensive option is available for every threat. One is not completely defenseless against these pokes, unlike against Latios.

Which other threats make it obsolete? For Nattorei one can use Magnezone/ Scizor/ Toxicroak/ Tentacruel/ etc. Toxicroak/ Tentacruel are full stops to Virizion. Voltlos's OHKOed by Starmie's Ice Beam or walled by Nattorei. Abomasnow's stopped cold by Scizor/ Nattorei. See? A defensive and an offensive option is available for every threat. One is not completely defenseless against these pokes, unlike against Latios.
Starmie cannot switch into voltolos. And Toxicroak dies to HP ice if virizion has enough cms, and can't really hit back hard enough to win without using a poison move. Tentacruel loses to SD Leaf blade.

Also, ttar learns dragon tail. Just putting that out there for everyone who is saying defensive ttar is set up bait. It could very well become popular on ttar if defensive sets do.

Also, jirachi can go offensive. Scarf rachi gets to flichhax latios. Scarftar outspeeds and kos with crunch. Also, scarfcross (rare as it is) kos with megahorn.

Ace Emerald

Cyclic, lunar, metamorphosing
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I highly doubt hp fighting will be the norm. T-tar might become more popular than nattorie, but fire hits nattorie, scizor, escaliver, and random steels. Thanks, I'll stick with fire.

Jibaku

is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Oh for the love of..
Hell, Rankurusu can actually set up on sp.def. Ttar.
Adamant/Brave sdef tar 2hkoes bold max/max+ Reuniclus. Also good luck setting up on Defense drops.

While the latter gives Terakion, Roobushin, Blaziken, Breloom, etc free switch-ins and set-up opportunities, the former can at least dent these pokes with Superpower to the point where they'll be unable to maintain a sweep
Again, opportunities to set up =/= opportunity to sweep. And even then, have you bothered checking out calcs before making the assumption that ttar can't threaten them at all? Superpower does 83%-98% to Terakion, which is so much more than just a dent (yes offensive Tar OHKOes but that wasn't the point you made). Against Blaziken, Superpower does a min of 54% which means it'd probably die to Flare Blitz recoil when it has to use that move. Fire Blast does about 97% min to no HP Breloom. As far as Roobushin goes you're just going to have to deal with that TTar can't do much and just switch. Today's metagame is unkind to Roobushin (Reuniclus, Lati@s, Gliscor, strong rain attacks, etc), so there shouldn't be too much to worry about.

"Adaption" doesn't mean "you MUST run SS semi-stall, otherwise you'll be raped by Latios"; adaption means "you need to tweak your EVs or change a pokemon on your team to be able to deal with Latios"
Yes, captain obvious.

Speaking of obvious things, did you even bother to recall that my first thing you replied to specifically talked about handling Latios without the use of Pursuit? Well you decided to go off tangent with that and started talking about you must run this and that etc etc -_-.

But since we're off topic anyways I think it's awesome that Latios is a nightmare to rain offense. Rain offense has arguably scarier sweepers than sand (even with SS banned), and it's good to have a drawback so it doesn't overrun the metagame.

Honestly, if you're letting Latios come in for free a lot, you're just playing badly. For instance, Why are you Bulk Upping with Roobushin as long as Latios is present? I could see that Hippowdon needs to slack off every now and then, or that Roserade could use Spikes. Gliscor can just use Protect again when Latios attacks it, scouting it and dealing some sand damage in the process. But you shouldn't make yourself so predictable that Latios can come in repeatedly. Latios should be able to come in only three times at best if you know what you're doing. Between every kill Latios makes (which, unless your team is really just a whole bunch of cookiecutter sweepers with absolutely no sort of defensive backup, should only be 1 at best, not counting any 12% death fodders), you can easily take advantage as it is locked in, and turn the momentum around. There are many times I've destroyed Latios while nobody in the team died.

I have absolutely no doubt that Latios is not broken. But I digress. We're entitled to our own opinions I guess.

As far as team styles go, I also found that Latios has some trouble vs sand offense. Taking the most generic sand offense team I can think of (TTar/BalloonZone/Latios/Dory/Landorus/Reuniclus), Latios finds itself having issues switching in. It can come into an unboosted Reuniclus, or Landorus EQ (nevermind that Landorus could predict this and OHKO with LO Stone Edge), and unboosted Dory's EQ (and risk an X-Scissor). Okay I guess it can come in on Magnezone to an extent, but mag may have already done its job so it can be sacked. And if Latios does come in, it still has to deal with TTar, Dory/reuniclus setting up on -2 meteors etc.

Rain stall shouldn't have too big of an issue with Latios with Jirachi/Ferrothorn/Forretress/Chansey around

I've never seen sun stall in OU so i'll just leave that.

But since we're off topic anyways I think it's awesome that Latios is a nightmare to rain offense. Rain offense has arguably scarier sweepers than sand (even with SS banned), and it's good to have a drawback so it doesn't overrun the metagame. Plus, Latios should not be able to come in a lot if you continue pounding hard, meaning it has to rely on double switches or a kill.

The only condition in this generation in which Latios is broken is when it is holding Soul Dew. So we will probably ban Soul Dew once it is released.

Agreeing with Jibaku on this one.

You don't need to have multiple "dedicated checks" against Latios to ensure victory - if you can take a Draco Meteor then you WILL be able to force it out, particularly the Surf / Trick / HP Fight / Draco Meteor versions which are walled to hell and back by any non-fighting weak steel. So long as you can sponge a hit or two, you will be able to deal with it effectively.

Off the top of my head, checks to Latios include Jirachi (not even Specially defensive, just max HP), Ferrothorn, SpD Skarmory, Escavalier (second only to Tyranitar, IMO), Scizor, Tyranitar, Blissey, Heatran, Bronzong, Metagross, and Snorlax.

And that's just counting things that can switch in and take a hit while threatening back. If you want to go into things that can come in afterward, there is Tornadus, Voltolos, LO Starmie, Scarfers, priority...the list goes on.

Jibaku's particular example was sand, but other playstyles can deal with it equally as well. Latios has bulk but it isn't on par with Latias by any means, meaning that Specs Hurricane / Boosted Water attacks / Ice moves / 100% Thunders will definitely be taking their toll. Sun teams will have boosted Fire moves and chlorophyll sweepers that outpace Latios (Venusaur, etc), and would be foolish to not carry at least one steel.

Non-weather teams have plenty of options as well. I run an offensive Wish Jirachi on my team that not only passes wishes and keeps itself healthy, but also strikes hard with Max SpA STAB Doom Desire.

Latios is quite manageable this gen. People are not mandatorily running 2 checks for Latios because oftentimes those pokemon check other things as well. Sand having Tyranitar to set up sand and a steel type to deal with dragons serves as a double check to Latios. Rain running steels that have their fire weaknesses reduced (Jirachi, Ferrothorn) probably have the best Latios checks possible. Sun will still need a steel (often Heatran) because dragons are just so common. And weatherless teams will undoubtedly run across some dragons and probably need a catch-all, necessitating a steel and probably a scarfer.

It isn't that hard to deal with, especially since its next most powerful STAB moves after Draco Meteor are at a good, but not great, 90 base power. Running Specs is SUPPOSED to make a pokemon hit freakishly hard.

What are people's opinions on Drizzle rain this time around? I've come across a few Rain Dance teams, and although they were difficult to face as I'm running a weatherless team, they were still manageable. I'd imagine that with Sand and Sun being more common they aren't nearly as effective in general.

As for Drizzle, SpecsNadus hits like a truck. It has had me thanking GF that there aren't that many high base-powered flying attacks because the type has some superb neutral coverage, and the confusion is never a good thing either. Tossing Focus Blast into the mix makes it even more difficult to deal with, and it can even serve as a backup Rain Dancer with MH. Hurricane / Focus Blast / Air Slash / Rain Dance is really, really devastating - I think it did around 40% to my Max/Min Jirachi with Hurricane.

I'd say the same for Voltolos, but with ground being immune to Thunder I have an easier time playing around it. I ran across the mixed set the other day (Hammer Arm / Thunder / HP Ice / Filler (can't remember)) and if I didn't have ScarfChomp to revenge it it would have swept me. Then of course there are the likes of LO Starmie and Rotom-W...Drizzle is still solid in my opinion. Really solid...

What are people's opinions on Drizzle rain this time around? I've come across a few Rain Dance teams, and although they were difficult to face as I'm running a weatherless team, they were still manageable. I'd imagine that with Sand and Sun being more common they aren't nearly as effective in general.

As for Drizzle, SpecsNadus hits like a truck. It has had me thanking GF that there aren't that many high base-powered flying attacks because the type has some superb neutral coverage, and the confusion is never a good thing either. Tossing Focus Blast into the mix makes it even more difficult to deal with, and it can even serve as a backup Rain Dancer with MH. Hurricane / Focus Blast / Air Slash / Rain Dance is really, really devastating - I think it did around 40% to my Max/Min Jirachi with Hurricane.

I'd say the same for Voltolos, but with ground being immune to Thunder I have an easier time playing around it. I ran across the mixed set the other day (Hammer Arm / Thunder / HP Ice / Filler (can't remember)) and if I didn't have ScarfChomp to revenge it it would have swept me. Then of course there are the likes of LO Starmie and Rotom-W...Drizzle is still solid in my opinion. Really solid...
I think Aldaron's proposal has been fairly successful as Drizzle Rain and Rain Dance are not broken in my opinion. Admittedly I've seen little of the latter, but given the prominence of autoweather it seems they have a tough time climbing the ladder much at all. They are a slight problem to my Sun team in that it's hard to bring Tales in and I only have one pokemon to reset my weather, but by protecting her it's fairly simple to eliminate the sweepers one by one. A very good player might have some luck with it, but it's certainly not broken.

Permarain seems underwhelming to me at least, given that Sun has to worry less about being outsped by Rain sweepers and can revenge more comfortably. The Genies in particular are excellent abusers, as you say, but not broken by any means. Yet to see a truly dedicated non-SwSw Rain offence really, Toed is being used as somewhat of an anti-sun and sand mon currently, in my experience.

Does that mean Latios isn't worth using? And most Latios have HP Fire instead of Fighting.

Also, I think I will be giving Latios an Expert Belt.
It is worth using, definitely, but it isn't the God people have been making it out to be in an effort to get it banned for the past two rounds.

Expert Belt Latios does a decent bait set, but its Draco Meteor becomes significantly less powerful and its other moves fail to KO the things they normally would after a SpA drop. I think the set is Draco Meteor / HP Fire / Surf / Dragon Pulse?

An opponent taking a draco meteor off of Belt Latios will immediately notice the decreased damage output, and expect either a Scarf or an Expert Belt. Just a heads up.

Jibaku

Thundurus and Tornadus are absolutely ferocious in rain - definitely scarier than Landorus in sand because the latter has less Speed and coverage (and Earthquake is less spammable than Thunder and especially Hurricane). These Pokemon have nearly no switch ins (except for Jolteon who probably would fall flat to Hurricane), insane coverage, troll Speed, and their STABs are nearly as powerful as Sand Force EQ (coupled with devastating side effects). They could potentially be scarier than swift swim abuse because preparing for these is harder. The one thing that's holding them back is that they offer little defensive versatility, however.

Thundurus and Tornadus are absolutely ferocious in rain - perhaps scarier than Landorus in sand because the latter has less Speed and coverage. These Pokemon have nearly no switch ins (except for Jolteon who probably would fall flat to Hurricane), insane coverage, troll Speed, and their STABs are nearly as powerful as Sand Force EQ (coupled with devastating side effects). They could potentially be scarier than swift swim abuse because preparing for these is harder. The one thing that's holding them back is that they offer little defensive versatility, however.
I have been trying to come up with something that can switch into these two safely and literally nothing comes to mind, especially if they aren't running a choice item to lock them into an attack. The best I've stumbled upon is specially defensive Lightningrod Zapdos (DW), but there isn't much beyond that, and it isn't even allowed in Standard. Specially defensive Pressure Zapdos works against Tornadus, but needs to be paired with Ferrothorn or a Ground-type that can take a LOThunder, because Zapdos can't take more than one.

On a similar note, I find that BulkyPolitoed / SpikesFerrothorn / LOThundurus / SpecsTornadus / SDVirizion / ScarfStarmie (or Rotom-W) forms a pretty solid team both resistances-wise and offensively speaking. You cover essentially the entire attacking spectrum while having decent bulk to fall back on, particularly if you choose Rotom-W.

alphatron

Volt turn in every tier! I'm in despair!
Latios used draco meteor!
It's not very effective...
Forretress fainted!
The sand storm rages.

Okay Terakion! Time to shine.
Alphatron sent in Terakion!
Latios used Draco meteor!
Critical hit!
Terakion fainted!

Yeah, I don't think I'll be able to give any accurate input on suspects any time today. I am however, looking forward to making a name for Wobbufett. In the hands of a good player, that thing is insane. Despite the encore nerf, Wobb is netting you at least one free turn, which may be all you need to execute a sweep with your set up poke. Besides, he also revenges scarfers quite nicely.

Latios used Draco meteor!
Venusaur fainted.
Alphatron sent in Wobbufett!

Latios used draco meteor!
Critical hit!
Wobbufett fainted...

Man, screw this game. Today just hasn't been my day.

In any case, what's everyone's opinion on CM Latios. Everyone says that Latias runs it better due to better bulk, but Latios has the ability to hit harder off the bat after calm minding up.

Utterly theorymonning, but a Raikou could perhaps serve as a replacement for Lightningrod Zappy until its release? It actually has marginally better special bulk and avoids a 2HKO from either of the genies (EDIT: Even when they use Specs) with Lefties, as well as outspeeding, though it would of course have to utilise a Cro set in order to have any recovery, and some bulk investment to be able to deal with them through hazards.

Mamoswine could come in on the majority of Thundurus' attacks (anything not Fight) and threaten to OHKO with Ice Shard if SR damage has been taken (or anyway if CB).

Obviously those have their problems, but that's just off the top of my head - how would these fare against the genies?

Utterly theorymonning, but a Raikou could perhaps serve as a replacement for Lightningrod Zappy until its release? It actually has marginally better special bulk and avoids a 2HKO from either of the genies with no investment as well as outspeeding, though it would of course have to utilise a Cro set in order to have any recovery..

Mamoswine could come in on the majority of Thundurus' attacks (anything not Fight) and threaten to OHKO with Ice Shard if SR damage has been taken (or anyway if CB).

Obviously those have their problems, but that's just off the top of my head - how would these fare against the genies?
Raikou is a one time solution, as it lacks recovery. Maybe when Volt Absorb Raikou is released we'll have something on our hands, but at this point Raikou will be switching in and either Ferrothorn or Virizion will absorb its Thunderbolt.

Mamoswine can come into Thundurus but will be KOd by Tornadus (can't be bothered to run a calc), and generally dislikes Virizion and Rotom-W/Starmie. And Thundurus still has access to Hammer Arm and Focus Blast, which it can viable use for the likes of Blissey and Ferrothorn.

EDIT: It just occurred to me that Rotom-H could make a potentially solid check to Thundurus/Tornadus. Rotom-H resists all of Electric, Ice, and Flying and can at least hurt Ferrothorn and Virizion with Overheat, while STAB Thunderbolt discourages water-types from switching in for anything other than a revenge kill.

alphatron

Volt turn in every tier! I'm in despair!
Lanturn also comes to mind as I'm pretty sure he won't be taking too much from grass knot. Good special bulk, immunity to thunder, and a resistance to hurricane should allow him to switch in and accomplish something. He does have the whole issue of having no reliable recovery though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)