WINDSTORMS (Peaked at 10th)

WINDSTORMS

Introduction
Hello, competitive battlers. After getting destroyed by a Tornadus once, I decided that it's broken (even if it's not that used). For this reason, I decided to make a team based on it. I got a lot of success with this team, managing to reach the top 10 on the ladder. This team is a balanced one and it tries to cover every threat, get hazards on and send Tornadus to spam Hurricane and win the match. This is the proof that it works:

At a glance

A closer view

Donphan (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Rapid Spin
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Ice Shard

There isn't anymore the concept of "lead" with the team preview feature, but I generally use this guy as a lead. Donphan is very useful on this metagame. It sets Stealth Rock to help the team, cleans away stupid hazards with Rapid Spin, gives me an electric immunity + a rock resistance, hits sand teams very hard with STAB Earthquake and has an useful priority in Ice Shard. On top of that, it also has a very helpful threat in Sturdy, that allows it to break some sweeps certain times. This is a very underrated pokémon, however. I got this idea from a great player. The EVs here are simple. Max HP to improve the bulk and to reach a leftovers number and max attack to hit as hard as possible with Earthquake and Ice Shard.

---

Politoed (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Drizzle
EVs: 252 HP / 56 Def / 200 SDef
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Perish Song
- Encore

I really don't like Politoed. It's weak, looks dumb and is almost a dead weight. But it sets the drizzle that Tornadus needs. I used a defensive politoed because it is, imo, the most useful one, having support moves like Encore, which trolls slower pokémon setting up (CM slowbro, CM reuniclus, bulk up conkeldurr, etc) or faster pokémon that want to setup on politoed. Perish Song is a win condition and an answer to baton chains, as well as being my only way to force out those setupers after Surf, the main method of damage, fails to do significant damage to them. Ice Beam is used here for coverage, hitting grasses and dragons. The EVs here works this way: max HP for max bulk and for a lefties number, 56 defense EVs to always survive CBtar's Stone Edge and the rest is sent into special defense with a calm nature.

---

Breloom (M) @ Toxic Orb
Trait: Poison Heal
EVs: 236 HP / 252 Atk / 20 Def
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Seed Bomb
- Focus Punch
- Spore
- Mach Punch

The physical hitter of the team, Breloom also has an interesting typing that grants him useful resistances in ground, rock, water and electric (though his low sp.def doesn't allow him to switch on the 2 latters). Breloom also gives my team a way of status (Spore) which is useful, given the new sleep mechanics, as well as more priority in Mach Punch. On the last moveslots, there are Breloom's main STABs. Seed Bomb, which is helpful against foes like Jellicent and etc, and Focus Punch, which hits immensely hard. However, you need to buy a free turn with Spore before using it, or you need to predict a switch. The EVs here works like this: 236 HP to reach the last poison heal number, making Breloom fairly bulky, attack is maxed with an adamant nature, and the rest is dumped into defense.

---

Skarmory (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 248 Def / 8 Spd
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Brave Bird
- Roost
- Spikes
- Whirlwind

Skarmory is the main physical wall of the team. It's immensely useful on this metagame, being able to stop dangerous threats like Excadrill, Garchomp, Salamence, Dragonite, Landorus and more; not only that, he also sets Spikes that makes Tornadus even more broken. Skarmory can always heal itself with Roost and phaze people that try to setup on him with Whirlwind, which also brings up the hazards effect. Brave Bird is an attacking option, and it's always funny to hit Volcaronas that predict a switch with it. The EVs are simple; max hp and defense, with 8 speed EVs to outpace specstoed, opposing skarmory and more.

---

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Trait: Serene Grace
EVs: 236 HP / 240 Def / 32 Spd
Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Wish
- Protect
- Body Slam / Thunder Wave
- Iron Head

The main special wall of this team, Jirachi is also an excellent team player, defending the team from Draco Meteor spammers, healing the other members with Wish, and spreading paralysis with Body Slam. However, Body Slam almost always fails to paralyse on the wrong time and it can't paralysis ghosts like Gengar, so I'm considering Thunder Wave, even if paralysing Gliscors and Excadrill's switch ins are always funny. Protect is used to scout, to give leftovers recovery and to grant the wish healing, and Iron Head is used as main STAB and it's f***ing annoying when used along paralysis. I use 236 HP to reach the last leftovers number, 32 Spd to outpace Jolly Tyranitars and the rest in defense.

---

Tornadus (M) @ Choice Specs
Trait: Prankster
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Hurricane
- U-turn
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power [Ice]

The theme of the team, the special attacker and the cleaner. This guy is seriously broken. Hurricane is the star of the show and after hazards all hazards are up, nothing can switch into it without being 2HKOed in the proccess, except for sp.def jirachi, sp.def tar and chansey/blissey iirc. U-turn is for when you predict your foe is going to switch something like the pokemon mentioned before, then you can switch to a counter to force them out to cause more hazard damage. Focus Blast steels and rocks that resist flying, and it's always awesome to use it on a Tyranitar switch in to win the weather war. Hidden Power Ice is mainly a filler, but it helps against Gliscor and Garchomp, if rain isn't up.

One last view

Credits
~Marik, because he's awesome and because this team was based on his team;
~PLDH for the sprites.
~You for reading.

Nice team, I've a rain RMT going on right now. I can tell you right now, since this happened to me, you're Baton Pass lead weak, primarily Smeargle. Why? Because he outspeeds all of your team except Tornadus and rachi. After he spores, you'll switch in skarm I'm assuming on the shell smash, quiver dance, etc. However, since he's faster, he'll simply use Magic Coat which basically is a turn of Magic Bounce. What I'm saying is that you trying to whirlwind him basically turns on you and you get whirlwinded out. I'm not exactly sure, but Perish Song might also be bounced back as well. After that, since you've no scarfers, he'll baton pass or stack some more while you have to play mind games to beat him. If you lose the mind games, he'll sweep you with whatever he goes to. To remedy that, I recommend a LO Tornadus with Taunt over U-turn. Sure your can't 2HKO Ferrothorn anymore, but he still beats the shit out of everything else. I'll admit, he can't kill shit as easily (does like 80% to walls), but with spikes in play, you'll gain those 1HKOs

Perish song is not reflected by Magic Coat, it puts a stop to any and all Baton Pass chains.

This is a great team, I wanna give a more thorough rating (probably after my exam tonight and after the threat list comes up) but suffice to say its a great representation of the powerful rain metegame today. Good work =)

Nice team, I've a rain RMT going on right now. I can tell you right now, since this happened to me, you're Baton Pass lead weak, primarily Smeargle. Why? Because he outspeeds all of your team except Tornadus and rachi. After he spores, you'll switch in skarm I'm assuming on the shell smash, quiver dance, etc. However, since he's faster, he'll simply use Magic Coat which basically is a turn of Magic Bounce. What I'm saying is that you trying to whirlwind him basically turns on you and you get whirlwinded out. I'm not exactly sure, but Perish Song might also be bounced back as well. After that, since you've no scarfers, he'll baton pass or stack some more while you have to play mind games to beat him. If you lose the mind games, he'll sweep you with whatever he goes to. To remedy that, I recommend a LO Tornadus with Taunt over U-turn. Sure your can't 2HKO Ferrothorn anymore, but he still beats the shit out of everything else. I'll admit, he can't kill shit as easily (does like 80% to walls), but with spikes in play, you'll gain those 1HKOs
Encore or Perish Song from Politoed ruins BP Smeargle's plans.

I'm almost sure i have fought with you. I used standard Skarmbliss team. I asked you why the hell you used Tornadus over Thundurus. But rank 10 is nice prestation.

I think I've faced this team once or twice and it looks good, agreeing that Tornadus in rain is broken.
Hehe, it is indeed.

How do you deal with sun/sand teams?
Against sun teams, I just need to kill their Ninetales with Politoed. Ninetales can't switch too much due to the hazards, so the weather war is easily won. Against sand, it's a bit more complicated, but I usually win because Donphan can easily kill Tyranitar and so can Breloom. And most sand threats are walled by Skarmory (read: Garchomp, Excadrill, Landorus).

Da Vinci said:
I'm almost sure i have fought with you. I used standard Skarmbliss team. I asked you why the hell you used Tornadus over Thundurus. But rank 10 is nice prestation.
I use Tornadus because flying is a wonderful offensive typing and teams care less about it, bringing less resistances. And thanks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)