The green mantis and the steel gear! (RU showdown)

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Hi guys! This is my second warstory and my first in RU!
When i make warstories i usually want 2 things...Showing somewhat unique/rare sets/pokemons and showing a close end. In my last warstory i managed to show some rare pokes and sets that did ok in the battle but i failed to show a thrilling end... I hope that this battle will have both elements and will leave you stunned from excitement!!!

The team i am going to show you is a Volt-Turn offense team, with which i managed to peak in the top of the RU ladder. This battle happened a few days ago, when i was laddering, against a guy named Double01. Here we go:

(Comments will be bolded)

My team:

My opponent's team:

Battle between Double01. and alex wolf started!

Tier: Standard RU
Mode: Singles
Variation: +10, -22
Rule: Rated
Rule: Sleep Clause
Rule: Species Clause
Rule: Wifi Battle
Rule: Self-KO Clause

Your team: Moltres / Natu / Rotom-C / Rhydon / Swellow / Scyther
Opponent's team: Scolipede / Moltres / Klinklang / Lilligant / Sharpedo / Omastar

So i see Sharpedo in my opponent's team which means i must be very careful. As you can see Mixpedo can ohko every single member on this team. So i send out my Scarf Scyther, which is my lead most of the times, to scout his lead and kill Sharpedo even if it carries Protect.

Double01.: gl
alex wolf sent out Scyther!
Double01. sent out Scolipede!

(100%) vs (100%)

So he leads with his Scolipede, which is to be expected i guess. These things carry Focus Sash in the lead position, meaning i cannot kill it with Aerial Ace, and he ohkoes back with Rock Slide, so i must switch to Natu, which will also bounce back any attempts for hazards....

Start of turn 1
Scyther used U-turn!
It's not very effective...
The foe's Scolipede lost 25% of its health!
alex wolf called Scyther back!
alex wolf sent out Natu!

The foe's Scolipede used Rock Slide!
It's super effective!
Natu lost 122 HP! (43% of its health)

---> (100% ---> 57%) vs (75%)

And he goes for the Rock Slide.I see no LO recoil which means that this Scolipede should be the standard lead set. I am going to Roost since Rock Slide doesn't do much and keep preventing him from laying hazards.

Start of turn 2
The foe's Scolipede used Megahorn!
Natu lost 159 HP! (56% of its health)

Natu used Roost!
Natu landed on the ground!
Natu regained health!

(57% ---> 51%)

...but i forgot that Megahorn deals more than Rock Slide even though the latter hits me for super effective damage. Hmm... Ok i am going to keep on Roost one more time, to let him think i am hoping for a miss or simply death foddering Natu, so i can bring Scyther in to either kill his Scolipede or force it out before it lays any hazards.Here i go...

Start of turn 3
Natu lost 142 HP! (50% of its health)

Natu used Roost!
Natu landed on the ground!
Natu regained health!

Double01.: >.>

(51% ---> 51%)

Time to bring Scyther in...

Start of turn 4
alex wolf called Natu back!

Scyther lost 96 HP! (34% of its health)

---> (100% ---> 66%)

Everything goes as planned and now i can finally kill this thing with Aerial Ace! Nah who would do that? He is almost guaranteed to switch out since his Scolipede can outspeed and kill many pokes in my team, so he would want it alive. Let's U-turn out!

Start of turn 5
Double01. called Scolipede back!
Double01. sent out Omastar!

Scyther used U-turn!
The foe's Omastar lost 34% of its health!
alex wolf sent out Rotom-C!

---> (100%) vs ---> (100% ---> 66%)

So he brings in Omastar to take the Aerial Ace. But luckily for me the flying mantis likes to call his friends after attacking so it's Rotom-C's turn to join the party! The plan? Simply put the hurt on something with Specs Volt-Switch since he has no Ground mons.

Start of turn 6
Rotom-C used Volt Switch!
It's super effective!
The foe's Omastar lost 65% of its health!
The foe's Omastar fainted!
alex wolf called Rotom-C back!

Double01. sent out Moltres!

The foe's Moltres is exerting its Pressure!

---> vs (66% ---> 0%, dead)

---> (100%)

So he just fodders his Omastar to stop my annoying Volt-Turn chain and gain some momentum. Not a bad choice since my Volt-Switch deals many damage to all of his pokes anyway, except from Lilligant, which would only be an invite for my Scyther for more U-Turns... Now i bring in Scyther to outspeed whatever he brings and keep the Volt-Turn chain, while he brings in his Moltres to try and hit something hard. I am going to U-Turn to Natu to scout his move and his item since my Natu is useless anyway, because i don't really care for Spike or T-Spikes since 5/6 of my team are immune to them!

Start of turn 7
Scyther used U-turn!
The foe's Moltres lost 10% of its health!
alex wolf sent out Natu!

The foe's Moltres used Hidden Power!
Natu lost 46 HP! (16% of its health)

(66%) ---> (51% ---> 35%)

Well it turns out that my opponents has a little bit of what is called ''prediction skills''predicting the Ryhdon switch-in, but unluckily for him Natu takes the weak hit very easy. I also get to scout his item which is definitely a Choice item (i mean who the hell runs Expert Belt Moltres?) so i am positive he will switch out. Well time to U-Turn out!

Start of turn 8
Double01. called Moltres back!
Double01. sent out Lilligant!

Natu used U-turn!
It's super effective!
The foe's Lilligant lost 28% of its health!
alex wolf called Natu back!

---> vs ---> (100% ---> 72%)

And while he brings out Lilligant, Natu shamelessly flees and brings his big brother Scyther! Should i really tell you what is the next move?

Start of turn 9
Double01. called Lilligant back!
Double01. sent out Klinklang!

Scyther used U-turn!
The foe's Klinklang lost 19% of its health!

The foe's Klinklang restored a little HP using its Leftovers!

---> vs ---> (100% ---> 86%)

He decides to absorb the hit with Klinklang, which takes it rather well for a weak piece of shit (i never had any respect for this poke), while i bring in my Rotom-C to show him that it can cut more than just grass. I press Volt-Change thinking that it will easily ohko, considering Shitklangs shitty special bulk and my Specs of 'course but...

Start of turn 10
Rotom-C used Volt Switch!
The foe's Klinklang lost 61% of its health!
alex wolf: running a bulky kilng klnag huh/
alex wolf: ?
alex wolf called Rotom-C back!
alex wolf sent out Rhydon!

The foe's Klinklang used Shift Gear!
The foe's Klinklang's Speed sharply rose!
The foe's Klinklang's Attack rose!

The foe's Klinklang restored a little HP using its Leftovers!

---> (100%) vs (86% ---> 32%)

...Shitklang surprises me positively for the first time surviving the hit with 27% health to spare. Fortunately the scarier thing that this poke can do is shift some gears so i am going to bring in my ground beast, to show him how real pokes are supposed to attack. I choose you Rhydon!

Start of turn 11
Double01. called Klinklang back!

Rhydon used Earthquake!
The foe's Lilligant lost 32% of its health!

---> (72 ---> 40%)

And for the first time in the whole match i lose the offensive pressure that i worked so hard to gain. Luckily for me Liligant is a very predictable poke so i have my answer ready. I am going to switch to Natu, death foddering him if he attacks, bouncing back Sleep Power if he uses it and forcing him to kill me if he goes for the QD, while outspeeding afterward with Scyther.

Start of turn 12
alex wolf called Rhydon back!
alex wolf sent out Natu!

The foe's Lilligant used Giga Drain!
Natu lost 88 HP! (31% of its health)
Natu had its energy drained!
The foe's Lilligant is hurt by its Life Orb!

---> (35% ---> 4%)

Natu is in its last legs but he did great. He prevented the opponent form laying the SR which he didn't had and he greatly damaged my opponent's pokes! Who the hell am i kidding, Natu you were worthless, die already!

Start of turn 13
The foe's Lilligant used Hidden Power!
It's super effective!
Natu lost 10 HP! (3% of its health)
Natu fainted!
The foe's Lilligant is hurt by its Life Orb!

(4% ---> 0%, dead) --->

After this glorious sacrifice, Scyther comes in to offer me the momentum of the game in a silver plate! U-Turn for the win!

Start of turn 14
Double01. called Lilligant back!

Scyther used U-turn!
The foe's Moltres lost 10% of its health!
alex wolf sent out Swellow!

Swellow's Toxic Orb activated!
Swellow was badly poisoned!

---> (100%, Toxic Orb activated) vs

---> (100% ---> 90%)

He sends his Moltres to tank the hit while i bring in Swellow to see his reactions and activate my Toxic Orb. I am not sure if he is Scarf or Specs but i am leaning towards Scarf since his attack did little to Natu(yeah it was resisted but Natu has bad special bulk). I am going to bring in my own Moltres for 2 reasons : First if he tries to predict again and goes for the HP Grass i win,second if he is Scarf as i suspect then he only 3hkoed my Moltres, which is Specs and can hopefully ohko with Air Slash. And even if my Air Slash doesn't OHKO i can always bring in my specially defensive Rhydon before my Moltres dies from the third Fire Blast.

Start of turn 15
alex wolf called Swellow back!
alex wolf sent out Moltres!

Moltres is exerting its Pressure!
The foe's Moltres used Fire Blast!
Moltres lost 120 HP! (37% of its health)

---> (100% ---> 63%)

As i predicted he carries a Scarf. This makes things easier for me! I press Air Slash, hoping that i can OHKO!

Start of turn 16
Moltres lost 113 HP! (35% of its health)

Moltres used Air Slash!
The foe's Moltres lost 76% of its health!

Plan A failed so time for plan B. Rhydon i choose you once again!

(63% ---> 28%) vs (90% ---> 14%)

Start of turn 17
alex wolf called Moltres back!
alex wolf sent out Rhydon!

Rhydon lost 78 HP! (18% of its health)

Rhydon takes the hit very good and is going to strike hard whatever comes in with Rock Blast. Klinklang can take 1 hit but doesn't ohko and gets killed, and everything else dies from Rock Blast!

---> (100% ---> 82%)

Start of turn 18
Double01. called Moltres back!

Rhydon used Rock Blast!
The foe's Lilligant lost 16% of its health!
alex wolf: yeah!!!
A critical hit!
The foe's Lilligant lost 18% of its health!
The foe's Lilligant fainted!
Hit 2 times!

Double01. sent out Sharpedo!

---> (34% ---> 0%, dead) ---> (100%)

And he choses to sacrifice Lilligant. This crit mattered but only a little since Rock Blast has only a 33,33 chance of hitting twice so Lilligant was more likely to die. Anyway after this sad moment, let's move on... He brings in Sharpedo to avenge for his green friend. Normally you wouldn't expect dinosaurs made of rock, to be afraid of a pansy shark, but unfortunately this shark carries a water gun! Goodbye Rhydon...

Start of turn 19
The foe's Sharpedo used Hydro Pump!
It's super effective!
Rhydon lost 336 HP! (81% of its health)
Rhydon fainted!
The foe's Sharpedo is hurt by its Life Orb!

The foe's Sharpedo's Speed Boost increases its speed!
The foe's Sharpedo's Speed rose!

(82% ---> 0%, dead) ---> vs (100% ---> 90%)

After burying Rhydon, i return to the battle and i bring Scyther in. I know that most Sharpedos carry Protect but for the sake of it i am going to test the off chance he doesn't have it...

Start of turn 20
The foe's Sharpedo used Protect!
The foe's Sharpedo protected itself!

Scyther used U-turn!
But it failed!
But it failed!

alex wolf: now its getting interesting!!
Double01.: :)

But it seems he does! Damn! Ok here is what i am going to do. I am going to sacrifice Moltres, which is in a bad shape anyway, to get a free switch to Swellow. Why Swellow you ask? Because he has the awesome Quick Attack, and since i am running an adamant Swellow it will deal a but-load of damage and even if it doesn't kill Scyther is waiting with his weaker Quick Attack to sweep my opponent's team. I also decide to bring Swellow in after Moltres dies because i cannot leave Scyther die, as he is the only guy i have that outspeeds and kills Scolipede. Enough talking, Moltres it's your turn to get of the stage...

Start of turn 21
alex wolf sent out Moltres!

Moltres is exerting its Pressure!
The foe's Sharpedo used Ice Beam!
Moltres lost 88 HP! (27% of its health)
Moltres fainted!

Double01.: mixpedo GO!!!
alex wolf sent out Swellow!

---> (28% ---> 0%, dead) ---> vs (90% ---> 80%)

Moltres dies and in the stage enters Swellow! Before he dies though, he is going to severely dent this mothafucking Shark which has given me enough problems already. Quick Attack!

Start of turn 22
Swellow used Quick Attack!
The foe's Sharpedo lost 60% of its health!

The foe's Sharpedo used Ice Beam!
It's super effective!
Swellow lost 261 HP! (100% of its health)
Swellow fainted!

Double01.: im surprised i lived that lol

(100% ---> 0%, dead) ---> vs (80% ---> 9%)

Swellow does a good amount of damage, enough for Scyther to finish him off. Now in comes Scyther ready to kill the pokeslaying Shark! Another Quick Attack for the victory!!!

Start of turn 23
The foe's Sharpedo used Protect!

Scyther used Quick Attack!
But it failed!
But it failed!

He scouts my move and i am starting to think if he is going to bring 1 of his 2 remaining pokes to save Sharpedo for one last attack. He could go to Klinglang, which could probably survive 2 Quick Attacks and kill Scyther, so i would have to bring in Rotom-C which doesn't get 2hkoed from Return at +0 or ohkoed from Return at +1 (yeah he is a weak piece of shit). Then my Rotom-c would kill him with Volt-Switch and my Scarf Scyther would finish the game with Aerial Ace. So switching to Klinglang is a no for my opponent. He could go to Scolipede which could get 2hkoed from Quick Attack considering my Scyther is Adamant, has Techinician and Scolipede's bulk is really mediocre,especially without any investment. So switching to Scolipede is also a no. So then the only option that is left for my opponent is to sacrifce his Sharpedo. So i am staying in for the kill!

Start of turn 24
Scyther used Quick Attack!
The foe's Sharpedo lost 9% of its health!
The foe's Sharpedo fainted!

Double01. sent out Scolipede!

alex wolf: yeah sharpedo is such a frail piece of shit!!!
Double01.: so powerful though :)

(9% ---> 0%, dead) --->

The shark finally goes down and the game is almost ending. He brings in Scolipede. I have 2 pokes, 1 of which is locked into a shitty move and he has 3 pokes and is free to attack. The only option i have right now is to sacrifice Rotom-C and kill his remaining pokes with Aerial Ace. But can Scyther make it? Anyway let's sacrifice Rotom-C first an then we will go to Scyther...

Start of turn 25

It's super effective!
alex wolf: yeah!
Rotom-C lost 242 HP! (100% of its health)
Rotom-C fainted!

Double01.: yes

---> (100% ---> 0%) --->

The first step is done and we are now walking into the final line. Obviously the plan is to bring Scyther in and spam Aerial Ace 'till every one of these fiends is dead, but can Scyther kill this weak piece of shit Shitklang? Yeah i know that it is a weak piece of shit but... I don't know. I underestimated Klinglang's bulk before when my Rotom only did 60% to it, and i don't want to do it again. But anyway enough talking, even if i don't underastimte his bulk there is nothing i can do now so let's get the killing started!!! Aerial Ace that bitch Scyther!

Start of turn 26
Scyther used Aerial Ace!
It's super effective!
The foe's Scolipede lost 74% of its health!
The foe's Scolipede fainted!

Double01.: ehh oh
alex wolf: timid or modest?
Double01.: timid

(75% ---> 0%) --->

Down goes the first victim! Scyther's blades start to become red while the enemy's blood is pouring from them. Maybe Scyther evolves into Scizor after a little bloodbath with the blood of some dozens of victims. We will never know... Now let's go to the second kill! Aerial Ace that bitch Scyther!

Start of turn 27
Scyther used Aerial Ace!
The foe's Moltres lost 2% of its health!
The foe's Moltres fainted!

alex wolf: nice
Double01.: didnt matter
Double01. sent out Klinklang!

alex wolf: lets see now
alex wolf: can u survive one aerial ace
Double01.: comon baby
alex wolf: and can i survive one gear grind?
Double01.: gear grind will probly miss >.>
alex wolf: it will come down to this
alex wolf: gogogogo

(2% ---> 0%) --->

And this is the most critical moment in this battle. Will the blood-bathed bad ass flying mantis manage to kill the pathetic looking, weak, shitty steel gear? Make a guess...

Start of turn 28
Scyther used Aerial Ace!
The foe's Klinklang lost 23% of its health!

The foe's Klinklang used Gear Grind!
Scyther lost 102 HP! (36% of its health)
Scyther lost 83 HP! (29% of its health)
Scyther fainted!
Hit 2 times!

(66% ---> 0%, dead) vs (27% ---> 4%)

Double01. won the battle!

....Noooooo. This weak piece of shit manages to barely hang on to life, killing my proud mantis with its not so weak steel gears! We both call gg and we leave from the battle. While i didn't take the win, what i did took was a very good and fun experience and the knowledge that this weak piece of shit may deserve his status as a RU mon!!!

Pros:

- Scyther for being an amazing scout, keeping the momentum for me, and killing almost all of my opponent's pokes
- Swellow for stopping Sharpedo with its amazing priority. If it wasn't for him i would have been swept
- My opponent's Sharpedo for sweeping half my team
- My opponent's Klinglang, which survived 3 strong hits and dealt the final hit to Scyther

Cons:

- Natu for being completely useless, unlike most of the times
- Me underastimating Klinglang's bulk and not Tricking him when i could
- The opponent's Omastar being totally useless
- Lilligant not doing anything except from killing a Natu(lol)

That was the warstory, i hope you enjoyed it! Thoughtful criticisism and advises are what i am looking from you guys...!

I have no idea why you switched into Natu on Scolipede TURN 1. You have five Pokes who are immune to Spikes and TSpikes. Who gives a shit?

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I have no idea why you switched into Natu on Scolipede TURN 1. You have five Pokes who are immune to Spikes and TSpikes. Who gives a shit?
While you are right, Natu was useless anwyay so why let him lay hazards, when i can put them in his side, considering he doesn't even have a spinner?

Double01

Hate it or love it the under dog's on top
Hey alex I really enjoyed battling you and especially this battle. What made it so interesting was me not having any hazards to wrack up damage against your blasted volt-turn team. I had to make up the lack of hazards with some risky predictions. Klinklang is such an underestimated poke too:) Making it a great check to Honchkrow was the original reason i have him on my team but also winning me many games to elite opponets such as your self.
'
Killing your rhydon was actually a crucial part of the game since if it had set up SR you could have abused the scarf on moltres making it switch to wrack up damage but also letting Shitklang :P live with 4% hp.

Overall, I really enjoyed the battle and this warstory. Keep up the good work and hope to play you again :)

Glad to see a new warstory; we haven't had one in a few days.

Compliments:

1. RU. Gotta love anything that's out of the ordinary, and I don't hardly see any RU warstories.

2. Figuring out that he had a scarfed Moltres. Anytime you can deduce that, I have to give props.

3. Posting a loss while admitting it's a good match.

4. Foddering a fully healthy Rotom when you needed to save Scyther. That's a tough decision, it didn't work out for you, but still a bold move.

5. Format was good, you had the visuals and everything we needed.

Critiques:

1. The first few turns didn't make much sense to me at all, especially considering your team's immunity to both forms of spikes. Your opponent can see that your team is immune to spikes and toxic spikes, so expecting him to lay them is a huge misplay.

2. Volt-turning seems to be the fad of the day, but it came across as a little boring to read. I won't knock you for it, though. It's just my opinion.

3. Turn 20-23.... lost you the match, imo. EVERY Sharpedo carries protect. Foddering Rhydon and bringing in Scyther was a pretty bad move, and since you ended up foddering Moltres immediately afterwards, you could have saved Rhydon.

Rhydon could have taken klinklang, I think, if it wasn't outsped and KO'd.

That would be my biggest critique.

4. Some minor spelling issues, and the commentary wasn't the most riveting. Minor gripes, though.

All in all, it kept my attention.

I say 6.5/10, and I'd definitely read the next one.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
Hey alex I really enjoyed battling you and especially this battle. What made it so interesting was me not having any hazards to wrack up damage against your blasted volt-turn team. I had to make up the lack of hazards with some risky predictions. Klinklang is such an underestimated poke too:) Making it a great check to Honchkrow was the original reason i have him on my team but also winning me many games to elite opponets such as your self.
'
Killing your rhydon was actually a crucial part of the game since if it had set up SR you could have abused the scarf on moltres making it switch to wrack up damage but also letting Shitklang :P live with 4% hp.

Overall, I really enjoyed the battle and this warstory. Keep up the good work and hope to play you again :)
Thx for the comments man! It is true that SR would have helped me a lot, and i could have used it when you switched out your Klinglang, but i was afraid that you would go for the 2hko on Rhydon...

Glad to see a new warstory; we haven't had one in a few days.

Compliments:

1. RU. Gotta love anything that's out of the ordinary, and I don't hardly see any RU warstories.

2. Figuring out that he had a scarfed Moltres. Anytime you can deduce that, I have to give props.

3. Posting a loss while admitting it's a good match.

4. Foddering a fully healthy Rotom when you needed to save Scyther. That's a tough decision, it didn't work out for you, but still a bold move.

5. Format was good, you had the visuals and everything we needed.

Critiques:

1. The first few turns didn't make much sense to me at all, especially considering your team's immunity to both forms of spikes. Your opponent can see that your team is immune to spikes and toxic spikes, so expecting him to lay them is a huge misplay.

2. Volt-turning seems to be the fad of the day, but it came across as a little boring to read. I won't knock you for it, though. It's just my opinion.

3. Turn 20-23.... lost you the match, imo. EVERY Sharpedo carries protect. Foddering Rhydon and bringing in Scyther was a pretty bad move, and since you ended up foddering Moltres immediately afterwards, you could have saved Rhydon.

Rhydon could have taken klinklang, I think, if it wasn't outsped and KO'd.

That would be my biggest critique.

4. Some minor spelling issues, and the commentary wasn't the most riveting. Minor gripes, though.

All in all, it kept my attention.

I say 6.5/10, and I'd definitely read the next one.
Thx for all the creative criticism!

Now about Scolipede and my reactions to it. It is true that i don't really care about Spikes and T-Spikes, but they can harm Rhydon and they can also harm his team if i manage to bounce them so why not try? Natu was useless anyway...
I also understand your point of view, when saying that Volt-Turning as a strategy is a little bit boring to read... The next warstory will definitely be without a Volt-Turn team.
Finally you are absolutely right when in saying that me sacrificing Rhydon was my biggest mistake. You see when i played this battle i didn't have much experience with Sharpedo in RU, and i thought that Protect wasn't a must, while now i know it is.
If i knew that it had Protect, then immediately sacrificing Moltres without sacrificing Rhydon will have won me the game, because Rhydon could survive an attack from +1 Klinglang and OHKO back.
Now that i think about it, even if it didn't have Protect i should have just sacrificed Moltres and save Rhydon. Thx for pointing this out!!!

Yeah, it was a good warstory nonetheless. I don't think a warstory has to be devoid of misplays for it to be good. Looking forward to the next one.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)