Black & White Battle Subway Records (now with gen. 4 records!)

@atsync: Yeah I did mention in my earlier post that one of Dragonite's biggest negatives was its inability to deal with status like Suicune could (I even mentioned the scald removing freeze I think).

I do think that Suicune can set up on more things than Dragonite can (without any crippling support), but yeah I just thought it's not so accurate to say that it "sucks".

The other "argument" is that self-sufficiency is not entirely about being able to set up (though that should be a big part). It's also about being able to sweep after setting up. I.e. if I could fully set up with either Suicune or Dragonite, I would choose Dragonite almost every time (only exception would be facing flamebody/static leads), because Dragonite basically beats things with more confidence than Suicune due to Suicune's lower speed and attacking power even after fully setting up. This is a minor point though of course, but still a point to be considered.

Peterko

Never give up!
is a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I will definitely play the Cloyster team again in the near future, after the Milan qualifier...not sure yet if I attend that one but whatever.

I will reconsider the Garchomp spread and try to figure out a way around those nasty hard hitting special attackers with Thunderbolt, mostly Psychic types, because Suicune can´t reliably set up on those.

When we´re at it, just throwing it out there...one of those annoying ones is Gardevoir 4, its Psychic Gem Psychic has a 5/16 chance to one-shot your Haxorus. You´d probably go to Scizor straight up, which takes 67-80/177, 56-69/177 after Lefties.

Bullet Punch does 81-96/143, so depending on how you feel you would either Roost or go straight up for the Bug Bite OHKO (or SD). Now this isn´t unusual for the Subway AI to get a sD drop right away (making Bolt do 96-114 dmg) or simply a CH Thunderbolt (56-69 + 2 x 63-75 = 182 min) turn 2 that would definitely kill Scizor (I mean the CH, the afterdrop Bolt would do 152-183 total dmg in two turns).

Yeah afterwards you will probably set up Haxo anyway unless the AI gets another CH but still...I mean just pointing out that Scizor´s quite bulky but far from a special wall so just look out for stuff like for example the flinch/freezing Starmie...lol who am I kidding, you know what you´re doing.

Also how did this turn into a "most self-sufficient Subway Pokémon" discussion?

Anyway, it´s always advisable to go through the moveset list and theorymon what your lead finds troublesome, or you just go and play and learn from experience like I do mostly lol. That way I found the threats to Cloyster...by losing to them lol.

Hey guys, I have a question.

I've been using the event distributed Suicune from GameStop, with aqua ring and leftovers instead of chestorest, and extrasensory instead of sub. Does anyone have any experience with this, and should I just swap it for sub and chestorest? Or could I use sub instead of extrasensory? The only reason I don't swap over and try it is because there's no way to get aqua ring back.

After getting up aqua ring, it's rather easy to stay in a fight. The biggest problem I have is if I have to swap Suicune out for another Pokémon, it wastes another turn for setup.

For clarification, I am using scald and calm mind in the other slots.

The Suicune that many people in here have used in Subway is used for a good reason, that includes its moveset. Your Suicune can't defend against status or cure it at all. Extrasensory has no significant purpose besides beating Water Absorb Pokés and Aqua Ring doesn't help you against critical hits or stat reductions

atsync

Where the "intelligence" of TRAINERS is put to the test!
is a Pokemon Researcheris a Contributor to Smogon
@atsync: Yeah I did mention in my earlier post that one of Dragonite's biggest negatives was its inability to deal with status like Suicune could (I even mentioned the scald removing freeze I think).

I do think that Suicune can set up on more things than Dragonite can (without any crippling support), but yeah I just thought it's not so accurate to say that it "sucks".

The other "argument" is that self-sufficiency is not entirely about being able to set up (though that should be a big part). It's also about being able to sweep after setting up. I.e. if I could fully set up with either Suicune or Dragonite, I would choose Dragonite almost every time (only exception would be facing flamebody/static leads), because Dragonite basically beats things with more confidence than Suicune due to Suicune's lower speed and attacking power even after fully setting up. This is a minor point though of course, but still a point to be considered.
Well I guess we could get into a big argument about what self-sufficiency actually mean though I really don't want to lol. I took it to mean "how well a pokemon (or a particular set of a pokemon) performs its role without support", in which case Dragonite loses to Suicune and Scizor IMO. Dragonite is still good though.

Dragonite is definitely better when fully set up though. It's amazing how often Suicune fails to OHKO a opponent at 6+ sp.att., though at that point it hardly matters.

Also how did this turn into a "most self-sufficient Subway Pokémon" discussion?
At least it's better than letting the thread go inactive, right? :p

I promise to stop going on about it though!

The Suicune that many people in here have used in Subway is used for a good reason, that includes its moveset.
Speaking of that, have anyone tried Suicune with cm/sub/rest and Ice Beam instead of Scald? The reason is water absorbers who need to be PP stalled :X Ice is resisted by Fire, Water, Steel and Ice. Fire, Water and Ice types can't even touch Suicune really so that's not a big deal (Fires can carry SolarBeam but that's not an issue with CM and Sub). While Steels are generally physical tanks and will get hit hard with a +6 Ice Beam despite resists. The only reason I'm considering this is because with only a Water move fighting water absorbers takes AGES.

And no I'm not too fussed about Scald's burn chance. I actually started using Surf instead as with my current team that burn is not really needed.

And no I'm not too fussed about Scald's burn chance. I actually started using Surf instead as with my current team that burn is not really needed.
It's worth noting that a lot of people like Scald for the ability to thaw out of freezes instantly. When you're switching Suicune in to an Ice move (which is relatively common, given the abundance of Ice-types in the Subway and the fact that the ever-prevalent Dragons are weak to Ice), it's nice not to have it completely shut down by freezehax as soon as it gets in, leaving it vulnerable to die to repeated Thunderpunches (on those elemental punch sets) or Thunderbolts (on BoltBeam sets) that it could often set up on pretty well as long as it doesn't miss four turns in a row due to freeze. Also, the power loss isn't that important. Suicune is bulky enough that it usually doesn't need to OHKO; it can afford to 2HKO because it can shrug off the opponent's hit (and the chance to burn and kill Sturdy users that same turn is pretty awesome), and often it doesn't even lose its Sub in the process.

NoCheese

"Jack, you have debauched my sloth!"
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I played around a bit with ice beam Suicune, but as Chinese Dood predicted when I floated the idea (waaaay back in this thread), I wasn't that impressed. I didn't like losing the additional anti-freeze insurance and significant burn chance scald provides, but even worse, the loss of STAB really hurt the damage output. For me, it's proven easier to stall out most of the water absorbers and have teammates that can handle the ones that hit too hard to stall out, rather than rely on ice beam. Plus, my Suciune teams have always been a little soft to Volcarona, and swapping a water attack for an ice one on Cune certainly doesn't help that.

My use of ice beam Cune was far from extensive, however, so you might be able to make it work, but bear in mind that there are some real downsides compared to scald.

NoCheese

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Jumpman, I like your new Haxrous/Starmie/Scizor team. Note, however, that even Scizor can sometimes have his troubles countering one of the "speed crew," the dreaded SPIT Starmie, crusher of dreams. I wouldn't be surprised if it's ended more streaks for all players than anything else in the subway, and it always gets prominent consideration in my theorymoning now. Sure, without hax you are golden, but on my old (mediocre) Scizor teams, I lost twice by switching Scizor in and eating an untimely freeze, flinch, and/or crit. The darn king's rock always seems to activate when you can least afford it. Admittedly, my Scizor was imperfect, with only a 22 HP IV and a 29 SPD, but the principle should still apply even for a perfect one.

That said, the loss in resilience is the price one pays for playing a fast team over a slow cripple and set-up one. Built well, you'll still be fairly resilient, but you'll be less able to handle a lengthy series of unfortunate events.

atsync

Dual scarf leads work great in Multi, but why is it that I'm more unlucky in Multi than in any other mode?

Opponent sends out Mamoswine and Snorlax, I send out Garchomp and Zapdos
Garchomp uses Dragon Claw, Mamoswine avoided, Zapdos uses Heat Wave, Mamoswine avoided, Mamoswine uses Fissure, Garchomp dead, Snorlax uses Body Slam, Zapdos paralyzed
I send out Scizor
Scizor uses Bullet Punch, Mamoswine avoided, Mamoswine uses Fissure, Scizor dead, Zapdos fully paralyzed, Snorlax used Body Slam

Yeah somehow I eventually killed Mamoswine with the Azumarill I'm using as back-up to Zapdos, but then they send out Choice Band Dragonite...

Thank you Mamoswine and Snorlax for causing me to waste several hours of my time with your bullcrap hax. I guess I'll try again later. At least this didn't happen at battle 67 or something.

NoCheese

What kind of EVs do you guys usually run on Suicune?
Since you are boosting Special Defense with Calm Mind, typically Bold with near max HP and Def is best. However, it's also helpful to avoid speed ties, since a speed tie means that you risk having the opponent go twice in a row (second one turn, first in the next) which can catch you without a sub. Accordingly, I think it's really nice to get your Suicuneup to 107 speed, since no other subway poke matches that.

My 31/7/28/31/29/30 Suicune thus went with 236/0/252/0/0/20 EVs, which leave me with stats of 205/74/181/110/134/107 at level 50. Note that the 205 HP are still enough to make 51 HP subs, and substitute four times in a row (with no leftovers) without dying.

With perfect IVs, I'd suggest an EV spread of 244/0/252/0/0/12, which would leave you with stats of 206/85/183/110/135/107.

Been using this team in Super Singles this week and after a couple runs with it finished with a pretty decent streak. Streak ended at 173.

Team:

Politoed @ Choice Specs
Modest - Drizzle
EVs: 252 HP - 252 Sp. Atk - 4 Spd
-Hydro Pump
-Ice Beam
-Focus Blast
-HP Grass

Kingdra @ Life Orb
Modest - Swift Swim
EVs: 252 Sp. Atk - 252 Spd - 4 HP
-Hydro Pump
-Dragon Pulse
-Draco Meteor
-HP Electric

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Sassy - Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP - 252 Sp. Def - 4 Def
-Curse
-Leech Seed
-Gyro Ball
-Power Whip

Strategy was simple. Obviously started out with Politoed for the rain. If the opposing lead was no threat and something I could easily take out, I would use Hydro Pump. I'd stay locked into Hydro Pump for as long as I needed to, until something resisted it or was faster than me and threatened to KO me or poison me. At that point I would switch out to Ferrothorn. I would try to keep Politoed alive in case I needed to activate Drizzle again.

Most of the time I switched out to Ferrothorn I would proceed to set up with Curse, usually getting 2-3 in depending on who I was facing and how much HP I had left. At that point, most of the time I would be able to finish the battle with Ferrothorn without having to use Kingdra. I had Leech Seed to help stall out things faster + to get some more HP recovery while I set up. This worked well when I faced bulky pokemon like Cresselia and Bronzong. If I knocked someone out and they brought in a Fire type, I would switch back to Politoed, who was usually still alive. If he wasn't, then to Kingdra, who easily takes a Fire attack thanks to his dragon/water typing.

I usually only brought in Kingdra after either Politoed or Ferrothorn fainted, since I didn't want him to take hits for obvious reasons. Like Politoed, Hydro Pump was my main attack move unless something was low on HP, then I would go with Dragon Pulse for the 100% accuracy and sure KO. If I was facing something with full HP and it was its last pokemon, then Draco Meteor since the -2 Sp. Atk loss doesn't matter at that point. When I faced Garchomp or Salamence, I went with Dragon Pulse for the sure OHKO.

If I was to do something different with Kingdra it would be to give it HP Fire instead of Electric. I think I only ended up using HP Electric one time for Empoleon. Politoed's Hydro Pump is so strong that I used it to 2HKO'd Water types that resisted it, like Empoleon and Gyarados, so I didn't get to even use HP Electric often. Not that it ended up mattering much, but I probably could have also put more EV's into HP for more bulk since, under rain, I was faster than the fastest Scarf user in the Subway - Adamant Terrakion.

I think the most annoying teams were Hail teams, since they constantly forced me to keep switching in and out to change the weather back to rain. Although I handled them easily with Ferrothorn's Gyro Ball, it was still annoying facing their 100% Blizzard, especially when I froze. Sandstorm teams were easy. Again, Ferrothorn took care of them, not taking any damage from Sandstorm and using Super Effective, physical +1 or 2 Power Whip. I think one time Ferrothorn ended up fainting to Tyranitar's Superpower, so I brought in Politoed, who was at full HP, to change the weather back to rain and KO it with Hydro Pump.

Overall, I loved this team. Politoed and Ferrothorn complement each other so well. Ferrothorn easily takes Electric and Grass moves aimed at Politoed, and Politoed takes the Fire moves aimed at Ferrothorn. Team could play out fast with Politoed and Kingdra, and if needed, could stall with Ferrothorn. It was a pretty decent balance.

How I lost:
I was starting to get bored because I was facing easy trainers that I had already beat earlier on in the run. After facing about 14-20 of the same trainers in a row, finally faced something new and ended up losing to Veteran Leron and his Virizion/Regice/Zapdos team. It was the first time I had faced a Virizion and knew it would be difficult. High Sp. Def + STAB Grass and Fighting moves... just what's needed to beat Politoed and Ferrothorn. I have the video below, basically when Kingdra missed Hydro Pump and Regice paralyzed him, I knew I was fucked. If he hits that Hydro Pump I probably would have won.

Picture proof:
http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll95/Exploitss/subwayproof.jpg

Video of my loss:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Quf7apNmNY0

I have a problem. 2 parts of my team are working very well and as they're supposed to, but the 3rd link is falling apart and that link is Gyarados. The current set I'm using is: Adamant Intimidate 212 HP 252 Atk 4 Def 4 SpD 36 Spe with Chesto Berry and Rest, Dragon Dance, Aqua Tail, Bounce. This team should work where each Poké can set up and sweep but also take hits for the other Pokés, but this Gyarados sucks. The most successful Gyarados in this thread is Chinese Dood's but his is more situational for setting up and not as easy to switch in at any point in a match. So how can I improve this set or replace it? I'm not very likely to replace it as a whole though

How I lost:
I was starting to get bored because I was facing easy trainers that I had already beat earlier on in the run. After facing about 14-20 of the same trainers in a row, finally faced something new and ended up losing to Veteran Leron and his Virizion/Regice/Zapdos team. It was the first time I had faced a Virizion and knew it would be difficult. High Sp. Def + STAB Grass and Fighting moves... just what's needed to beat Politoed and Ferrothorn. I have the video below, basically when Kingdra missed Hydro Pump and Regice paralyzed him, I knew I was fucked. If he hits that Hydro Pump I probably would have won.

Picture proof:
http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll95/Exploitss/subwayproof.jpg

Video of my loss:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Quf7apNmNY0
You actually would have won that battle had you not opted to Curse once against Virizion, and instead attacked it with Gyro Ball on that turn. That would have brought Virizion to red HP, meaning the AI would have assuredly used Rest on the following turn; that is a habit of the AI when it controls any pokemon with Rest. Had you known this, on the turn Virizion would have used Rest, you would have used Curse once. The following turn, you would Gyro Ball it down from full to yellow health. From here, you do NOT kill it, instead letting Virizion stay asleep for another turn as you Curse once more, garnering yourself both another attack/defense boost and Leftovers recovery. It would then awaken and immediately use Rest again, allowing you to set up two more Curses (one on the turn it goes back to sleep, another on the first sleep turn), and OHKO it with a +4 Gyro Ball. From here, you're set to win the battle as Regice's Focus Blast cannot OHKO Ferrothorn at that point thanks to the additional turns of Leftovers recovery, while +4 Gyro Ball obviously OHKOs Regice.

A big part of achieving long streaks is just noting the habitual stupidity of the AI and exploiting it. I must say, however, I'm shocked that you managed to be fairly successful with a team that routinely relies on the shaky accuracy of Hydro Pumps and Draco Meteors without the assistance of a Wide Lens. I wouldn't even dare use something like Rock Slide Terrakion or Hi Jump Kick Blaziken without the help of a Wide Lens. I'm curious as to how you handled Quick Claw Fissure Sturdy Donphans, Brightpowder users, and other legendary streak killers while relying on such unreliable attacks.

Edit: I don't know why I even bothered wasting my "one post per year" on this before looking at your image link. Your picture is clearly from an emulator. It looks like no$gba given the borders you forgot to crop out in the screen shot. lol

You actually would have won that battle had you not opted to Curse once against Virizion, and instead attacked it with Gyro Ball on that turn. That would have brought Virizion to red HP, meaning the AI would have assuredly used Rest on the following turn; that is a habit of the AI when it controls any pokemon with Rest. Had you known this, on the turn Virizion would have used Rest, you would have used Curse once. The following turn, you would Gyro Ball it down from full to yellow health. From here, you do NOT kill it, instead letting Virizion stay asleep for another turn as you Curse once more, garnering yourself both another attack/defense boost and Leftovers recovery. It would then awaken and immediately use Rest again, allowing you to set up two more Curses (one on the turn it goes back to sleep, another on the first sleep turn), and OHKO it with a +4 Gyro Ball. From here, you're set to win the battle as Regice's Focus Blast cannot OHKO Ferrothorn at that point thanks to the additional turns of Leftovers recovery, while +4 Gyro Ball obviously OHKOs Regice.
You're probably right. I just wanted to get rid of Virizion asap because of his grass/fighting moves. Sacred Sword ignores the defensive boost and I only used Curse that one time to ensure I KO it with my next Gyro Ball.

A big part of achieving long streaks is just noting the habitual stupidity of the AI and exploiting it. I must say, however, I'm shocked that you managed to be fairly successful with a team that routinely relies on the shaky accuracy of Hydro Pumps and Draco Meteors without the assistance of a Wide Lens. I wouldn't even dare use something like Rock Slide Terrakion or Hi Jump Kick Blaziken without the help of a Wide Lens. I'm curious as to how you handled Quick Claw Fissure Sturdy Donphans, Brightpowder users, and other legendary streak killers while relying on such unreliable attacks.
I don't think I ran into any Donphans with Fissure and if I ran into Brightpowder users, didn't notice it. I certainly missed my fair share of moves and it cost my streak the previous times (just like it did this time with Kingdra's Hydro Pump)

Edit: I don't know why I even bothered wasting my "one post per year" on this before looking at your image link. Your picture is clearly from an emulator. It looks like no$gba given the borders you forgot to crop out in the screen shot. lol
I used the emulator to grab the picture and video. I think that was obvious by my video. I didn't forget to do anything.

I will definitely play the Cloyster team again in the near future, after the Milan qualifier...not sure yet if I attend that one but whatever.
I know its not the right thread but its the only place you will definitely read lol... I was so tempted to go to Milan, decided not to after I played so badly in Birmingham/Paris. Despite having an awesome time with people, I don't think so many people will be in Milan as the Euro-congregated Paris and so I don't wanna go so much. Good luck if you go though!

Anyway to the point of this post: I didn't bother picking up Subway again until after Birmingham, and immediately lost with my Machamp/Chansey/Zapdos team (after which I reset my game, lol). I've been a little bit lazy to post this but whatever. I don't have a picture but obviously it doesn't matter as my streak is stuck at what it is in the listing (231). I fucked up against a Gallade and that was that with no calcs/lists on me, I shouldn't have played so I'm a little peeved at myself but I was unbelievable bored so eh.

I really need to stop posting teams before the streak is done. Combined in singles subway I am 406-2, so far the losses have been 8 games and 1 game after posting my teams... i.e., I have just 7 wins between two teams after posting them. Ouch.

I do have a new singles team though, using a couple of pretty unused Pokes, so hopefully I haven't overestimated them. Have several doubles teams too.. looking forwards to using them soon too, should have a lot more time after this week.

I'm working on a new team atm and looking for input. Currently approaching 100 wins, hoping to beat my previous record.

Breloom @Toxic Orb
Adamant - Poison Heal
EV: 252 HP/Spe
- Spore
- Leech Seed
- Substitute
- Focus Punch

This works pretty damn well. Focus Punch destroys anything that doesn't resist it, even without any boosts. This guy is also capable of outstalling nearly everything that doesn't have a SE attack on him (notably, most steel types).

Chansey @Evolite
Bold - Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP/Def
- Toxic
- Seismic Toss
- Aromatherapy
- Softboiled

I don't think I need to explain what this thing does :P I personally prefer Chansey over Blissey. The lack of Leftovers is not a big deal to be honest. I was considering putting Charm somewhere in there, to let me wall most physical attackers aswell.

Dragonite @Leftovers
Adamant - Multiscale
EVs: 252 HP/Atk
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Claw
- Substitute
- Roost

Same Dragonite I used before. His job in this group is mostly to defeat physical Fire attackers and fighting types.

Gonna report back when my streak ends, but I have a good feeling about this one.

atsync

That's actually an interesting team, Manveru123, though I could see fast ice types being a problem, especially if they freeze Chansey.

Anyway, I here for another winge session. I have lost 2 more attempts at Multi.

The 1st attempt was lost at 40-something wins and was due to a Vanilluxe freezing my Scizor as it switched it, thus eliminating my only good check to the opposing team. I'll let that slide though. I am partially to blame for letting my Zapdos get paralyzed since it would have been an easy win otherwise.

But the second attempt was possibly one of the absolute worst instances of hax I have ever experienced. It did happen early which softens the blow a bit, but still...

The battle video can be seen here:11-07776-99146

For those who won't watch it, a summary:

Turn 1: I missed Heat Wave on Mamoswine and it set up hail (not game deciding).
Turn 2: I missed Heat Wave on Typhlosion (again, not game deciding), Mamoswine died at least.
Turn 3: I missed Dragon Claw on Lapras, then I missed BOTH opponents with Heat Wave, Zapdos and Garchomp were both killed at the end of the turn.
Turn 4: I kill Typhlosion with Azumarill but then Lapras gets a freaking crit Thunderbolt to kill Azumarill (I pretty sure this made a difference).

From there, Scizor was left to fight Lapras and Gastrodon by itself. I needed a crit to kill Gastrodon but no cigar. The Dragon Claw miss was probably the most game-deciding thing about this really (honestly Heat Wave hitting Lapras and Typhlosion turn 3 wouldn't have made much difference). I suppose I could have swapped my leads out turn 3 to avoid Lapras's Ice Beam, but that could have been equally as bad (see the other attempt where Vanilluze froze Scizor on the switch). Maybe if I'd used set lists I'd have known that Lapras 3 was the one with Thunderbolt but that crit was so gay.

I don't want to admit defeat, but quitting is starting to look kinda tempting (at least from Multi). I don't know what I'm gonna do now. Maybe I should take a break.

That's actually an interesting team, Manveru123, though I could see fast ice types being a problem, especially if they freeze Chansey.
Actually my biggest problem atm is Life Orb Medicham. He outspeeds and OHKO Breloom, Chansey can't do s**t against him, and Dragonite takes a lot of damage from Psycho Cut. I might need a more bulky dragon... but I don't think there's something more bulky than Dragonite in the subway.

I'm strongly considering Slowbro, who can tank what Dragonite could in this team, and isn't threatened by Medicham at all.

EDIT: I found a perfect pokemon: Aerodactyl. Lots of trial and error. Scary Face makes opponent lead slower than Breloom. Incinerate gets rid of any berries they might have (chesto and lum most importantly). Roar gets rid of annoying, long-to-kill leads (defensive ghosts mostly). And Protect, just in case. Looks wierd? It would, except for the fact that Breloom can kill anything that is slower than him. Anything at all. All thanks to Spore, which is SO DAMN OP! After the lead dies, Breloom is usually poisoned and behind a sub, which means a free spore for the second pokemon, and that usually means another KO. Honestly I only use Chansey atm if Breloom is somehow caught with his pants down (in this case it's facing a faster pokemon with SE moves without sub up).

Just got a 91 streak in BS Singles.
Picture Proof - http://img85.imageshack.us/img85/222/picture0002x.jpg

Whimsicott @ Focus Sash
Bold
Prankster
252/0/252/0/6/0
Taunt
Charm
Flash
Memento

Shuckle @ Quick Claw
Bold
Sturdy
252/0/252/0/6/0
Power Split
Struggle Bug
Encore
Gastro Acid

Scrafty @ Leftovers
Jolly
Moxie
6/252/0/0/0/252
Drain Punch
Crunch
Substitute
Dragon Dance

How I lost -
Entirely my own fault, ended up losing to a Thunder paralyzing Scrafty as he switched in. Thought I was as I had Flashed a few times and enemy poke had -6SpA + Power Split. Second poke outspeeded Scrafty and killed sub. Third poke hit over half damage and Scrafty became fully paralyzed.
Should have swapped back in to Whimsicott and let it die for a safe switch in to Scrafty.

Remaking team with Stun Spore on Whimsicott and Adamant/Shed Skin/Different EVs on Scrafty.

Got to 142 wins with this gimmick team.

Aerodactyl @Focus Sash
Jolly - Pressure
EVs: HP/Spe
- Scary Face
- Taunt
- Roar
- Incinerate

Slows down the lead and gets rid of his berry, so Breloom can set up on him. Taunt and Roar are "just in case" abilities. I'm using Aerodactyl because I couldn't find a different pokemon who could have a similar moveset, and this guy is very fast, which helps.

My Breloom and Chansey are the same as in http://www.smogon.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4163534&postcount=1546.

I lost to a physical Life Orbed Infernape, who caught Breloom without Sub up, and had a field day between Close Combat and Flare Blitz :P

All I can say is.. a 150 atk STAB move from something with such huge attack (Breloom) is very, very strong. Obviously this is a little bit of rng fight, since if Breloom loses his sub and manages a KO, he must outspeed the next pokemon by himself, or pray that he's a special attacker.

Speaking of that, Chansey cannot be killed by special attackers. It takes Focus Blasts and everything else like a boss. Maybe a Freeze hax would, but that never happened.

I might go back to this team someday, but considering that I couldn't find anything that works great with Breloom/Chansey combo, I probably won't.

I would like to lay claim to the longest Staraptor streak with 92 wins plz:

Jolly Staraptor w/ Choice Band
252Atk/252Spd/4Def
155/172/85/61/70/167
Brave Bird/Close Combat/U-Turn/Quick Attack

Adamant Garchomp w/ Choice Scarf
252Atk/252Spd/4Hp
184/200/106/76/102/154
Earthquake/Outrage/Fire Fang/Rock Slide

Calm Suicune w/ Chesto Berry
252Hp/252Def/4Spd
204/85/165/109/147/93
Scald/Substitute/Calm Mind/Rest

Strategy's simple: lead with Staraptor to get Intimidate going and to destroy a lot of things with either Brave Bird or Close Combat. U-Turn is great for breaking Sturdy and Focus Sashes, and then I either switch to Suicune to set up or Garchomp to finish it off.

After getting owned by Volcarona several times in a row on previous tries, I wanted the biggest 'f*** you' I could get - it's 4x weakness to Rock was tempting but Stone Edge and Rock Slide are poor moves to use in the Subway, so I decided to use my favourite Pokemon from Gen IV, Staraptor. Brave Bird is brilliant, decimating Bug, Grass, and Fighting types, and with Close Combat it takes out the Steel and Rock types as well, and it's always nice to have a bit of insurance with Garchomp's Earthquake.

Intimidate is also a great ability for a lead Pokemon, and it helps Suicune set up with a pseudo-Defence boost - it's a life saver when it comes to Outrages from Dragons, especially as I don't have a Steel type. Quick Attack is a last resort move, but the fact it gets priority is why I don't use Double Edge (as well as the fact Double Edge is an egg move), so I can finish off frail or weakened Pokemon.

ScarfChomp is mainly standard with Adamant nature, I just have to make sure that Jolly Haxorus doesn't get a Dragon Dance off, otherwise it's game over. Rock Slide is never used, and Fire Fang is only used on Bug/Steels and levitating Steels. I use it to switch in for free against Electric types; otherwise, it comes in as a revenge killer. Scarf Outrage outspeeds and kills all the Dragons I'm aware of, as long as they don't have a boost such as mentioned above.

Classic Subway Suicune is classic, but unfortunately the only one I have to hand right now is a Calm natured Suicune with a very low Speed IV.

Problems: the weak link in my team is my imperfect Suicune - with 204 HP, it misses out on being able to make four 51HP Substitutes by one point, and it gets outsped by a lot of stuff, which can make battles quite annoying.

SPIT Starmie is as frustrating as ever, and even worse is that if it's against Staraptor, I can't tell if it will use Ice Beam or Thunderbolt, so it's necessary to switch to Suicune to take a hit first and then switch to Garchomp. After all that, it isn't even guaranteed that Outrage will OHKO it, so I have to finish it off with Quick Attack.

Water Absorbers are a nightmare, simply because they take so long to deal with, especially Acid Armor Vaporeon, as it can outstall Suicune. Other problems are mainly when one Pokemon has already fainted - Volcarona beats Suicune with Quiver Dance and Garchomp if it's locked into the wrong move, Electric types outspeed Staraptor and Suicune and can smash them with super effective attacks, and anything with Ice attacks make short work of Garchomp and Staraptor.

I only got this far with a bit of luck; I had a close call with a Volcarona where Staraptor had already fainted and Garchomp was locked into Outrage - Suicune managed to take a +2 Bug Buzz and finish it off with Scald.

I lost to an annoying misplay - initial matchup, Staraptor vs Charizard;

Turn 1 - Switched to Suicune, Charizard used Belly Drum.
Turn 2 - Charizard Earthquake, Suicune Sub, Suicune @ 20/204 HP,
Turn 3 - Charizard Earthquake, broke sub, Suicune ChestoRest
Turn 4 - Switched Staraptor back in for free as Charizard used Earthquake
Turn 5 - Used Quick Attack, bringing it to ~25% HP and activating Salac Berry, Charizard KOs with Fire Punch, Suicune back in
Turn 6 - Charizard Earthquake, critical hit KO, Garchomp in,
Turn 7 - Garchomp KO with Outrage, Excadrill in,
Turn 8 - Garchomp Outrage, Excadrill ~40% HP, Excadrill Rock Slide
Turn 9 - Garchomp KO, confusion, (hoping for a frail Pokemon without Focus Sash or Sturdy), Lucario in (¬_¬)
Turn 10 - Garchomp hit self in confusion, Lucario KO with Shadow Ball.

I didn't know how to deal with the Charizard - it has the same base speed as Staraptor, so to avoid a speed tie I switched to Suicune, but then it used Belly Drum instead of the Fire attack I was expecting. I should've used Scald here, but Rest wasn't the game changing decision. I got Staraptor back in for free, but I was worried about the speed tie again, so I used Quick Attack, which activated the Salac berry - still, even though it KO'd Staraptor, it wasn't game over. I was officially screwed when Charizard KO'd Suicune with a critical hit as I picked Scald, meaning Garchomp had to take on 3 Pokemon while locked into one move, and it almost managed it too.

Ah well - I reckon, playing with more experience/concentration and/or a better Suicune, this streak could get a good deal longer. Proof: http://img715.imageshack.us/img715/3696/20121p.jpg

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 8)