VGC '12 Canada National - Toronto - WON by Chinese Dood

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was just wondering where the official thread was because I wanted to check the amount of spots avaliable to Canadians for this year's World Championships after just hearing america only got four spots.

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Email I sent:
1. Will there be a Top Cut and if so how will it be determined (same as most Premier events with Top 16 / 32 depending on attendance or assymetrical)?

2. Will TPCi be helping the Canadian Nationals organizers by providing televisions and equipment to display matches like it's done at the US Nationals?

3. I saw the organizer mention that anyone can enter Canadian Nationals for the video game and not just Canadian residents. Can you verify this and if so, are travel awards and invites also available to international players? Are Canadians allowed to enter US Nationals?

4. How many invites and travel awards will be available?
Answer I received:
I'm unable to share much of the information you're asking for at this time, but I can confirm that both US and Canada Nationals are open to *all* players, regardless of nationality.

I hope that resolves at least the short term questions you have.

Hello firestorm, i am also interested in participating in the VGC'12 Canada National tournament. I have those days off, and i plan on going, but its not 100% yet. I don`t really know whether you have the ability to add me into the tournament, or whether i have to register somewhere else, so please let me know!

Thanks,

-Seed Bomb

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Hello firestorm, i am also interested in participating in the VGC'12 Canada National tournament. I have those days off, and i plan on going, but its not 100% yet. I don`t really know whether you have the ability to add me into the tournament, or whether i have to register somewhere else, so please let me know!

Thanks,

-Seed Bomb
This isn't an official registration page, just a list of people from Smogon who are planning to go. You have to register at the event itself.

Firestorm

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

Thanks,

-Seed Bomb
As mentioned, this is just a list of people on Smogon to look out for. You'll need to register at the event the day of the competition. Likely sometime before noon.

On the official Pokemon website, it states that only Canadian residents can enter the Canadian Nationals.

It states, '* Non-U.S. residents are not eligible to collect a Travel Award or travel allowance to the U.S. National Championships, as the U.S. Nationals are open to U.S. residents only. Non-Canadian residents are not eligible to collect a Travel Award or travel allowance to the Canadian National Championships, as the Canadian Nationals are open to Canadian residents only. If a non-resident wins a Regional Championship, the Travel Award or travel allowance will pass down to the next eligible resident. All other prizes will be awarded to the actual winner of the event."

Here's the link: http://www.pokemon.com/us/play-pokemon/championship-series/vg-spring-regional-championships/

Firestorm

We are well aware of what it says on the regional pages. However, you'll notice that it's basically just copy/pasted from the TCG pages. Both the organizer of the event and TPCi have said it's open to all as does the US Nationals page.

VGC
The U.S. National Championships is a two-day event open to all players in good standing. Winners move on to the World Championships in Waikoloa, Hawaii, this August.

TCG

• Players must have a minimum of 10 Play! Points to play at U.S. Nationals
  • Registration will be guaranteed to the first 270 Junior Division players, 324 Senior Division players, and 972 Masters Division players. While we will attempt to accommodate every player wishing to participate, we cannot guarantee seating beyond these limits
  • The Pokémon TCG U.S. National Championships is open to legal residents of the U.S. only. Residency in this case is defined as a person who legally resides in the United States or one of its territories, not necessarily a U.S. citizen
In any case, the FAQ should settle this and it should be up by next Friday.

Oh I see. Do you guys know if it costs money to register? If so, how much? And are U.S residents allowed to enter and play in it? I was planning on booking a trip to nationals soon but now i don`t know if i should if i can`t play in it.

No registration fee.
Firestorm states that the US are allowed to play in it.
But, no travel award to Worlds if an American makes top 4. (I think)

Firestorm should know for sure

Firestorm

I can't say for sure either. I'd wait until the FAQ goes up if the ability to compete is a factor for you.

Ok, thanks everyone for your help. I guess before i schedule anything ill wait for the FAQ to be released. Oh and one more thing I wanted to mention, if i am allowed to play / go to Canada nationals, I do plan on bringing a friend. I just wanted to let you know firestorm lol idk if that matters much I just thought I`d tell you.

On the official Pokemon website, it states that only Canadian residents can enter the Canadian Nationals.

It states, '* Non-U.S. residents are not eligible to collect a Travel Award or travel allowance to the U.S. National Championships, as the U.S. Nationals are open to U.S. residents only. Non-Canadian residents are not eligible to collect a Travel Award or travel allowance to the Canadian National Championships, as the Canadian Nationals are open to Canadian residents only. If a non-resident wins a Regional Championship, the Travel Award or travel allowance will pass down to the next eligible resident. All other prizes will be awarded to the actual winner of the event."

Here's the link: http://www.pokemon.com/us/play-pokemon/championship-series/vg-spring-regional-championships/
I found this deep in the FAQ:
Do I have to be a resident to participate in these events?

These events are open to all players, regardless of country of residency. The only stipulation is that the player must use a legitimate Pokémon Black Version or Pokémon White Version game card. Players attending U.S. events must use a North American version. Players attending European events must use a European version.
This was on the website too so TPCi doesn't know what its doing. :/ I just hope the Travel Allowance rule doesn't apply.

I think this applied when Canada didn't have its own tournaments. Anyways as Firestorm said we'll know for sure when TPCi's FAQ goes up.

I found this deep in the FAQ:

This was on the website too so TPCi doesn't know what its doing. :/ I just hope the Travel Allowance rule doesn't apply.
If you mean that travel allowances are only restricted to the country you win them in, that statement is true and will not change for this year and will probably never change.

If you mean that travel allowances are only restricted to the country you win them in, that statement is true and will not change for this year and will probably never change.
That is what I thought but then I saw this:
3rd & 4th Place

A Pokémon Video Game Regional Championships 3rd or 4th Place medal
A $300 travel allowance (including an additional $300 travel allowance for players under 18) to participate in the 2012 Pokémon Video Game U.S. National Championships at the Indiana Convention Center in Indianapolis, Indiana, OR the 2012 Pokémon Video Game Canada National Championships in Toronto, ON.*
Additional Pokémon-themed items
6 Championship Points
This means that the travel allowance we can receive does allow us to participate in Toronto or Indy. The restrictions just talk about the stuff where you need to be a resident which we don't know exactly. However, after the FAQ comes out, things may change.

I think the travel awards are region locked, if you win a Travel Allowance from a U.S. Regional its only usable at U.S. Nats, same for Canada. I remember someone dicussing it from Facebook, he email TPCi about it.

Brandon says the truth. It says OR because the FAQ refers to both Canadian and US Regionals. ZachDro asked the player coordinator about this, and he responded with the following:

"While VGC national championships are open to all, you cannot transfer an award (stipend or paid travel) to another countries national championship. If you choose to go to Canada nationals, you will not receive the driving reimbursement or hotel."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)