VGC '12 Canada National - Toronto - WON by Chinese Dood

Status
Not open for further replies.
Canadian Elimination Round Suggestion: What do you think?

Please read my suggestion email for the format of the elimination round. Before I send this to the organization, I would like to hear if you are for or against this idea.

"I am aware that the top 2 players from each division at the Canadian Nationals will move on and receive travel awards to the VGC Worlds in August.

If I'm not mistaken, at the Nationals, there is a Swiss round format in the morning. In the afternoon (or earlier) however, I have been hearing that there is going to be some sort of elimination round or top cut for the top Swiss finishers (top 8 or 16 or whatever).

I just wanted to give my input on the style of format for the elimination round. Since there are only 2 winners that move on, I suggest that a double (not single) elimination format be used for the top cut round. This would be beneficial in that if two really good players meet in a battle, the loser would still have a chance to make it in the top 2. A double elimination is the fairest way to come up with the top two players. And since only two from Canada move on in each division, this would work here. For the other countries it wouldn’t as they qualify the top four. A double elimination would only require one extra round (loser of championship match vs. winner of consolation bracket), so maybe an extra half hour at most for two players battling for the second world’s invite and trip prize. Plus every player gets a second chance if they lose."

So if anyone likes this suggestion, please reply here so the organizers of the Canadian Nationals can hear us. After all, they should be open to suggestions. Our top cut should be treated differently from other countries because the organizers are already treating us differently with only two invites/trip prizes and not four.

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
It'll most likely be best of 3 single elimination like US Nationals. If it's not, let the people in charge know that's how its supposed to be done.

Top 2 is what TCG has this year so this is expected. 4 was a hopeful thing. Canada TCG only had one trip last year so yeah...

Also, no regionals (said from Philly) had a top cut. I'm pretty sure Korea only had two invites and trips last year and is likely going to be in the same situation this year so it's not just us.

I actually heard Korea only has 1 invite/trip per division, meaning only 3 Koreans will be at Worlds. Not sure if my source didn't understand what I was asking him, but yeah.

And for the right reasons... you should be generous that Pokemon is finally supporting Canada in VGC, not complaining about the prizes :/

@MiniWade, lol, we all want more prize support but we're not going to get it. Just saying.
My response is pretty much this.
Baby steps, guys. We finally have an official tournament. I do admit that having no top cuts in regs is really bad, but at least they are allowing a top cut at nats.
If the show up is good, they would support it more. Hell, it is definitely easier to run than TCG. VGC finishes in fractions of time in comparison to the TCG.

The TCG did not start like this either (Well, seeing how they need to split the budget to TCG/VGCfor the most part this year...). We need to continue support these events so we can get more of these tournaments, or would you rather go back to 3 years ago?

Question for those of you coming in from BC or whatever, are you guys planning to stay in the Doubletree or what?

Firestorm

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Dropping :( Just got too complicated trying to get to Toronto from Indianapolis. Indy was cheaper for me so going straight to and from US Nationals. Good luck Team BC (and I guess SK...)! I'll see if I can make it out next year when we have a better idea of what it will be like. Maybe they won't hold them on the same weekend -.-

It'll most likely be best of 3 single elimination like US Nationals. If it's not, let the people in charge know that's how its supposed to be done.
After Japan Nationals I think it is safe to say that it will be single elimination after Top Cut. Taking it European style.

Japan Nationals took place in one day, according to some people it was a Top 16 top cut and probably Swiss round to get the top cut (there was a language barrier from the people who I got the information from). At this top cut they went at it in best of one matches European style.

Seems like it is the only way you can feasibly fit in a top cut in one day.

Not really... Japan has always had very different formats for their tournaments and Europe/North America never mirrors it. Just because they ran it one way does not mean that any other country will. I do not expect anything more than a Top 32 cut for any of the divisions, and having best 2/3 instead of does not add that much more time.

If a TCG Regionals is able to have 8 rounds with a Top 32 cut all in one day (where each round is 30 minutes and each top cut match is 45 matches), then a VGC Regionals with the same amount of people can easily manage to do that in 1 day. Especially when a TCG round takes much longer than a VGC round. (around 15 minutes)

Firestorm

After Japan Nationals I think it is safe to say that it will be single elimination after Top Cut. Taking it European style.

Japan Nationals took place in one day, according to some people it was a Top 16 top cut and probably Swiss round to get the top cut (there was a language barrier from the people who I got the information from). At this top cut they went at it in best of one matches European style.

Seems like it is the only way you can feasibly fit in a top cut in one day.
Just asked TTS and he said Japan was Top 16 Single Elmination, Best of 1. No Swiss. The 16 were chosen from the WiFi tournament.

Interesting that they would do european style for top cut, I would tend to disagree with this and just take the best players from the swiss then do a european top cut, instead, they should do Bo3 Top Cut in Nationals really because reality is hax can still happen and impede the better players from advancing to Worlds this year.

Nevertheless, this is much better then how it was for Canada 3 years ago as pointed out by clear. Really excited to see Canada finally getting it's own Nationals and will be looking forward to seeing all the top cut matches after!

Although still got a while to wait. ; _ ;

aww, i was looking forward to finally meeting your FS =(
Well yeah, plane tickets to Toronto to Vancouver is fucking expensive anyways, much less Vancouver to Indy and then to TO.

@Firestorm: Aw, too bad you aren't going... Sally and I ended up getting a ticket + 4 night hotel package for $700 each which we thought was pretty good.

Question for those of you coming in from BC or whatever, are you guys planning to stay in the Doubletree or what?
I'm staying at the Travelodge near the airport on Dixon Road (20 min walk away from Doubletree). It was the cheapest one I could find that was walking distance away from Doubletree.

@Firestorm: Aw, too bad you aren't going... Sally and I ended up getting a ticket + 4 night hotel package for $700 each which we thought was pretty good.

I'm staying at the Travelodge near the airport on Dixon Road (20 min walk away from Doubletree). It was the cheapest one I could find that was walking distance away from Doubletree.
700 for it all? Wow, that is a good deal you got there.
Are you also playing in the TCG Nats?

Nah I don't play TCG. :P

My gf's first time to Toronto, so we're actually spending all the other non-VGC-Nats days sightseeing and stuff.

There's honestly not much to see in Toronto itself imo. Go to Niagara Falls as a day trip!
There's the zoo, CN Tower, ROM, Ontario Science Center, AGO, and depending on the week there might be something at Dundas Square, plus wandering from the water to ~Bloor can be an experience by itself. Enough for a full weekend, for sure. (Gotta rep my city.)

Haha, well done Kapuran. :) My gf and I are going to the zoo, CN Tower, ROM, Science Centre, and Casa Loma in the 4 non-tournament days that we're there. I'm sure some of it will not interest us much, but it'll be an experience anyway. Unfortunately, Niagara Falls was not part of our plan though since it was going to the other side and we thought it was a bit far and expensive (and... we got this city pass thing that lets us enter all of the above locations for $60 as a package).

I've actually never gone to the CN Tower, personally--I'd like to, curious how fast I can climb the stairs--but my girlfriend and I have gone to the zoo twice in the past year, we enjoy it. Hope you do too. :)

Honestly, I have never been in the zoo during summer time. all the times I went it was smack dap in the middle of fall or winter, and it does not feel so good. =/

I'm looking for stuff to do while in Toronto, the zoo looks like it could be fun.
Also guys, are we going to meet before/after the event? Some of us ate together after Regs and I personally had a lot of fun hanging out with everyone. Also I was planning to bring my N64 w/ a couple of controllers and Smash Bros and Pokémon Stadium, so we could still play before/after the tournament if you guys want.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)