Choice is God! UU team help.

Hello people. This is my first RMT and I need some help with it. I usually stick to VGC because doubles are my strongest point, but I wanted to have a challenge so I joined Smogon. I managed to peak at 1111 on the PO server (not a lot I know!) with this team and I would like to go further. I was actually hoping to enter the Smogon Grand Slam http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3466594 as my first official tournament but to have any chance I need a good set of teams. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Now, you've probably had enough of my rambling so on with the team!
At a glance:

Team Building

Specs Chandelure is a monster. I used it because of its awesome coverage moves like energy ball and its very powerful STAB moves like shadow ball and Fire Blast. Specs Chandelure can rip through teams with the right moves.

I realised I needed rapid spin support if I were to sweep with Chandelure, so I brought in Claydol. I also used a trickdol to cripple sweepers and stallers. Claydol also gave me the opportunity to use stealth rocks so that I could weaken the opponents pokemon before sweeping with Chandelure.

I used a defensive Cobalion to complete my defensive core with my specially defensive Claydol and to cover most weaknesses that my other 2 pokemon had. I also used thunder wave to further cripple sweepers after Claydol.

Suicune is another beastly pokemon on my team. I have used the CroCune set to bring back old times and because the majority of the pokemon in the UU metagame allow me to set up 3/4 calm minds and rest before sweeping. It has won me many battles and turned the tide in my favour as well.

I realised I needed a physical sweeper as well. I saw Sharpedo and I immediately saw potential for a speed boost sweep. It was fast and could hit hard with a life orb too.

My final member was Flygon. He has a choice scarf and is a physical lead (generally) to get U turn initiative and turn momentum immediately in my favour. He has also shown proficiency in being a late game sweeper as well with Outrage.

I played a few battles and realised that Sharpedo was too frail and getting taken out before he could take anyone else out and that Cobalion was becoming a setup fodder for pokes once he had T-Waved and reflected. This made me change to Machamp because he is relatively bulky and a No-Guard/Choice band set would give a ton of power; and to Registeel because he is a lot more bulky and can T-wave and seismic toss for good damage.

Finally, I saw that Machamp was usually KO'ing one pokemon, the being locked into a move that wouldn't hit the opposing pokemon at all and then being KO'ed himself. So I needed something with just as much firepower without a choice item. I came across Heracross. His ability Guts gives the same boost as a choice item, without the choice item. I also found that I had overestimated Registeel's seismic toss and that 100 hp was not too much. I found that Bronzong could hit hard with Gyro ball and for the faster pokes (of which there are quite a few) I used Earthquake. It also learnt stealth rock, freeing up a slot for Claydol.

Up close:

Chandelure @ Choice Specs
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 6 hp, 252 SpAtk, 252 Spd
Nature: Timid
- Fire Blast
- Energy Ball
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power (Fighting)

Like I said in my team building section, this pokemon is a monster. This set can rip through teams like butter, as well as getting a fire immunity that my Heracross desperately needs. Timid nature is used because Chandelure is not one of the fastest pokemon in UU and so to maximise speed. The EVs are simple, outspeed and rip through teams with max speed and special attack EVs.

Claydol @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP, 6 Def, 252 SpDef
Nature: Calm
- Trick
- Earth Power
- Toxic
- Rapid Spin

Trickdol is the spinner of my team and boy does it do it's job well! It tricks the choice scarf onto the opponent, usually forcing a switch in which to spin away rocks or spikes. Toxic is there to stall if needed and Earth Power is so that I don't become complete taunt bait. I have gone with a specially defensive set because it doesn't really get physical moves directed at it and if it does, the HP EVs help me survive one attack. The EVs are to maximise bulk.

Bronzong @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP, 252 Def, 4 SpDef
Nature: Relaxed
- Gyro Ball
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rocks
- Hypnosis

Bronzong completes my defensive core and also sets up stealth rocks for my team. He can hold back many physical attacks aimed his way and hit back with an Earthquake or Gyro Ball. I'm running relaxed nature to maximise defense and Gyro Ball's power. The EV's are to maximise physical bulk.

Suicune @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP, 56 Def, 200 SpDef
Nature: Calm
- Calm Mind
- Scald
- Sleep Talk
- Rest

Crocune has been one of my favourite pokemon since ADV and when I saw the chance for it to fit into my team I didn't hesitate to add it. Basically, you use CM until you're low on HP, and then use RestTalk. Scald is used because the 30% burn rate is very nice indeed. The EV's are because Suicune usually takes a couple Thunderbolts from Raikou or Zapdos before being ready to sweep, while still keeping the physical defense relatively high.

Heracross @ Flame Orb
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 Atk, 6 Def, 252 Spd
Nature: Jolly
- Facade
- Megahorn
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge

Heracross is my main physical attacker. I didn't want to be locked into a move all the time so a Guts variant was used. I have used Flame orb because I didn't want the residual damage building up like on toxic orb. Megahorn and Close Combat are its primary STAB moves, Stone edge is for flying type coverage and Facade is used because it gets mighty powerful when burnt and under Guts. I've put the 6 EV's into defense to increase its survivability a small bit.

Flygon @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 ATk, 6 SpDef, 252 Spd
Nature: Jolly
- U-turn
- Earthquake
- Outrage
- Stone Edge

Flygon is my revenge killer and he has done wonders in this team. He gets momentum on my side right form the start of the match and can also late game sweep with outrage or earthquake. Outrage and earthquake are its primary STAB moves, with Outrage over Dragon claw for the power and the late game sweeps; U-turn to get momentum on my side and keep opponents on their toes; and Fire punch is for coverage on steel types.

Here is the importable if you want to test out the team to see any weaknesses. :)

Importable
Chandelure (F) @ Choice Specs Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Shadow Ball
- Fire Blast
- Energy Ball
- Hidden Power [Fighting]
Claydol @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Trick
- Toxic
- Earth Power
- Rapid Spin
Bronzong @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spd)
- Stealth Rock
- Hypnosis
- Gyro Ball
- Earthquake
Suicune @ Leftovers
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 56 Def / 200 SDef
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Calm Mind
- Scald
- Sleep Talk
- Rest
Heracross (M) @ Flame Orb
Trait: Guts
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Stone Edge
- Close Combat
- Megahorn
- Facade
Flygon (M) @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Outrage
- U-turn

Overall, this has worked quite well for me but I'm not winning as many matches as I hoped. Any rates would greatly help. Thanks!

Cool team! However, it kinda seems like bronzing and Claudia serve very similar roles, maybe you could find something less redundant for one of them? Also
I'd recommend jolly and stone edge on flygon to hit zapdos and the like, and jolly outspeeds neutral +1 base 100s and ties +speed ones. What's hp fighting for on chandy? Seems pointless, you could run ice, or run overheat or flamethrower.

Hidden Power Fighting is necessary to beat Snorlax, who otherwise laughs at Chandelure while Pursuiting it or simply Phazing.
This team doesn't feel like it has a lot of direction to me. Chandelure rips huge holes in specially bulky Pokemon, but your team can't exploit that because Suicune is the only other Pokemin hitting from the special side, and it takes so long to boost up to a reasonable power level that the opponent will have healed off the damage from Chandelure's rampage before they are forced to take it on. I would strongly consider either changing Chandelure to a Subtitute set so that it can actually do some sweeping or changing Suicune to offensive CM so that it is better able to exploit the holes Chandy punches. Right now this just seems like you threw some strong Pokemon together with no goal or concept and called it a team.

Cool team! However, it kinda seems like bronzing and Claudia serve very similar roles, maybe you could find something less redundant for one of them?
Claydol and Bronzong have pretty good defensive synergy and Ive found that I can take many hits and force switches by switching them in and out for each other. Thanks for the rate

Also
I'd recommend jolly and stone edge on flygon to hit zapdos and the like, and jolly outspeeds neutral +1 base 100s and ties +speed ones.
Thanks. I was have changed fire punch for stone edge and it has worked me wonders. Thanks for the rate.

I would strongly consider either changing Chandelure to a Subtitute set so that it can actually do some sweeping or changing Suicune to offensive CM so that it is better able to exploit the holes Chandy punches.
I see your point. I will test them and see if they work. Thanks for the rate.

Right now this just seems like you threw some strong Pokemon together with no goal or concept and called it a team.
My aim was to try and set up hazards with claydol and bronzong and then to either KO or severly weaken the opponents pokemon. Then I would be able to finish of with Flygon or even Suicune. Suicune can be a very potent sweeper because not much can OHKO him and by that time I have got a CM and can rest off the damage. Flygon is just really fast and can finish off weakened teams too. I actually spent a lot of time making this team. but anyways thanks for the rate

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)