The CAP Kitchen: Non-Competitive Discussion Goes Here

Would Air Slash be allowed in Aurumoth?, It's not really great as a coverage move due to it not really hitting anything that Bug or Psychic don't hit SE already bar fellow Bugs, all of which are neutral to it (in OU at least) and it's weaker than most other coverage moves, so it's more of a flavour move for the Moth/Butterfly-like mons than anything.

I dunno, the animation and description for it implies that it's for something that can move very suddenly, and Aurumoth seems kind of a little too floaty for me to picture using it. How about Air Cutter instead? I can picture that one better, as I can imagine it waving its shells in quick succession to create wind.

bugmaniacbob

Was fun while it lasted
is an Artist Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Would Air Slash be allowed in Aurumoth?, It's not really great as a coverage move due to it not really hitting anything that Bug or Psychic don't hit SE already bar fellow Bugs, all of which are neutral to it (in OU at least) and it's weaker than most other coverage moves, so it's more of a flavour move for the Moth/Butterfly-like mons than anything.
Nope. It's a VGM and I never specified it as Allowed.

Same goes for Aerial Ace, Hurricane, Drill Peck and pretty much any other half-decent Flying-type attack.

Air Cutter, on the other hand, is not a VGM and as such is fair game.

My comments about Close Combat never mentioned hands... I'm not even saying that Close Combat on Aurumoth would be a horrible slight on its movepool flavour, nor am I even telling people not to put Close Combat in their movepools due to flavour. I am just pointing out what kind of precedent the move has on similar Pokémon, and people can take that any way they want. That's what I thought this thread "was for".

Also I keep forgetting to say this, but if anyone is worried about how legendary vs pseudolegendary is going to work on Aurumoth in terms of precedent, both already don't fit extremely well. Namely, no 600 BST Pokémon has three abilities.

Am I the only one that think that Aurumoth could be Genesect before it was genetically altered by Team Plasma. You could make a whole game about that.

Team Plasma finds a fallen angel Pokemon and use it's DNA to create their own super being. It's like Giovanni and Mewtwo all over again.

I think we could make vague reference to that in the description, just something like, "Scientists are interested in it's potential". I can totally imagine Aurumoth being encased in armour and maving it's wings removed (That sounds morbid...sorry)

Genesect's description:

"This ancient bug Pokémon was altered by Team Plasma. They upgraded the cannon on its back."
"This Pokémon existed 300 million years ago. Team Plasma altered it and attached a cannon to its back."

That could so be Aurumoth

Aerial Ace and Acrobatics are not allowed? I think that they would be no competitive reason to use these moves ... But they would fit into the butterfly theme -> flavour. Are at least Bounce and Pluck allowed?

Am I the only one that think that Aurumoth could be Genesect before it was genetically altered by Team Plasma. You could make a whole game about that.

Team Plasma finds a fallen angel Pokemon and use it's DNA to create their own super being. It's like Giovanni and Mewtwo all over again.

I think we could make vague reference to that in the description, just something like, "Scientists are interested in it's potential". I can totally imagine Aurumoth being encased in armour and maving it's wings removed (That sounds morbid...sorry)

Genesect's description:

"This ancient bug Pokémon was altered by Team Plasma. They upgraded the cannon on its back."
"This Pokémon existed 300 million years ago. Team Plasma altered it and attached a cannon to its back."

I can't see that... At all. Aurumoth and Genesect aren't even based on the same type of bug. Even if you could argue that Aurumoth is more of a paleozoic roach than a moth, they still resemble nothing of eachother beyond their Bug-typing. I could honestly go on, but nobody else is likely to even humor the idea, so no. If you want to submit that during the Dex submission stage, though, go ahead and do that.

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
WAIT WAIT, what? Since when is Aerial Ace in any way a VGM (on Aurumoth) that needs to be restricted? What in the world is Aurumoth ever going to use unstabbed Aerial Ace on?

Furthermore, it fits flavor absolutely fine, and WASN'T disallowed.

There's a difference between VGMs and VGMs for a CAP. For example, is Charge Beam a VGM on Aurumoth? I have a hard time believing it is if the movepool also contains Tail Glow and Thunderbolt. I'm looking for clarification now, rather than later, when my movepool is deemed illegal for speculative reasons.

Aerial Ace and Acrobatics are not allowed? I think that they would be no competitive reason to use these moves ... But they would fit into the butterfly theme -> flavour. Are at least Bounce and Pluck allowed?
I don't think Pluck fits Aurumoth at all, the description mentions pecking and Aurumoth has nothing to peck with. It's reserved for bird-pokemon (and Rattata/Bidoof for some reason), while Aurumoth doesn't even have visible mouthparts.

Acrobatics also doesn't fit that well - only Flying types, high-speed or monkey pokemon get it. The only ones that don't fit the bill have some playful/tumbling aspect like Volbeat/Illumise making patterns in the sky. The exception is Eelektross which I can't explain, but that does have Levitate so it is like a Flying-type in that respect. It's also a VGM.

WAIT WAIT, what? Since when is Aerial Ace in any way a VGM (on Aurumoth) that needs to be restricted? What in the world is Aurumoth ever going to use unstabbed Aerial Ace on?
This does seem weird. Surely perfect accuracy moves and non-bird-related Flying moves are great flavour on this CAP. Surely it's only a VGM for Scyther. I love Scyther.

bugmaniacbob

Was fun while it lasted
is an Artist Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Furthermore, it fits flavor absolutely fine, and WASN'T disallowed.

There's a difference between VGMs and VGMs for a CAP. For example, is Charge Beam a VGM on Aurumoth? I have a hard time believing it is if the movepool also contains Tail Glow and Thunderbolt. I'm looking for clarification now, rather than later, when my movepool is deemed illegal for speculative reasons.
We have an unchanging list of VGMs specifically so we don't get situations like these where people say "but it's fine so who cares" and try to add stuff that wasn't allowed. It doesn't make the slightest bit of difference what you think will or will not be competitive because that isn't the point - the point of the whole system is to avoid bloating movepools.

If you wanted it to be Allowed, you should have pointed it out during the Attacking Moves Discussion. As it stands, nobody bothered to do so and as such it isn't on any lists, thus is disallowed.

Note that I had already added Aerial Ace to my list of "which VGMs should be removed?" in the thread on that subject, so very likely it will not be a VGM next CAP if others share your opinion (and to be honest, I am of the same opinion really). But you're not helping anyone by complaining here.

To clarify, you are not allowed to add any VGMs that I didn't specify as being Allowed on the move lists and if you do have one then your movepool won't be slated.

EDIT:
This does seem weird. Surely perfect accuracy moves and non-bird-related Flying moves are great flavour on this CAP. Surely it's only a VGM for Scyther.
It's not a VGM for Scyther, it's a VGM for... well, last generation some people used it to get a guaranteed OHKO on Breloom and Heracross. It should really have been taken off when I updated the lists last, but for some reason I didn't do so. But abilities do not affect the VGM lists, remember, hence why Dynamicpunch is not a VGM.

I love Scyther.
SECONDING THIS SENTIMENT

It's not a VGM for Scyther, it's a VGM for... well, last generation some people used it to get a guaranteed OHKO on Breloom and Heracross. It should really have been taken off when I updated the lists last, but for some reason I didn't do so. But abilities do not affect the VGM lists, remember, hence why Dynamicpunch is not a VGM.

SECONDING THIS SENTIMENT
Ahh that explains it. And yes to Scyther-love! I am looking forward to the day when genetic-technology evolves to the point where Scyther can be created by splicing Mantis DNA with Grim Reaper DNA.

And so this post contains something of value I should point out Flash is a cool move for Aurumoth. Also Sky Attack would be nice as it's highest level-up move since it says on the first turn that the user is glowing. Very angelic, non? It's Japanese name is also God Bird, and what is that descriptive of if not an angel? Also, it's not just for birds - Sigilyph gets it, although it does seem to be Flying-type only. Might be a nice semi-legendary mark though - like Hurricane on Volcarona.

I have a question: Given that Aerial Ace is disallowed. If I adhere to the current M-M Guidelines, giving Auru Bug Buzz necessitates that it should have Aerial Ace as well. Which rule should be followed?

bugmaniacbob

Was fun while it lasted
I have a question: Given that Aerial Ace is disallowed. If I adhere to the current M-M Guidelines, giving Auru Bug Buzz necessitates that it should have Aerial Ace as well. Which rule should be followed?
No, the current Move-Move guidelines recommend that it should have Aerial Ace as well. Not quite the same thing.

So yeah Topic Leader edicts take precedence.

Genesect's description:

Actually if you look at Kabutops and Genesect they actually have the same body type, Genesect is a few inches taller (the cannon), same basic facial features. Although its not a bug type it does have the same look.

I would have to say I prefer Aurumoth as a stand-alone pseudo-legendary, without any ties into former Pokemon.

Thanks for the quick response bmb. So jiust to clarify: the type-move and move-move guidelines are only "suggestions" and not hard requirements? That means a movepool submission not strictly adhering to them can be accepted?

bugmaniacbob

Was fun while it lasted
Thanks for the quick response bmb. So just to clarify: the type-move and move-move guidelines are only "suggestions" and not hard requirements? That means a movepool submission not strictly adhering to them can be accepted?
At the moment, yes. We may look into making the Guidelines back into hard Requirements in the future, but for the purposes of CAP 4 alone, a movepool that doesn't adhere to them is perfectly eligible for the slate.

Kadew

*bird sounds*
is an Artist Alumnus
This thread needs some more stupid CAP-related artwork.

Thankfully, I happen to have a frequent impulse to make really stupid CAP-related "art."

First on the menu for today, some hot necturna x mollux shipping. Ought to be everyone's OTP, just look at that chemistry!

Next on the plate is the wonderful result of a typo, close wombat. Shoulda pared back aurumoth's movepool folks. THIS is the reason for overpoweredness. Look at that evil glow in those eyes. Physical fighting coverage spawned by the devil itself. As a furry headmarsupial.

And finally, for our dessert course, the terrible monstrosity of pistachio-mustachio-moth. Pistachio-shell-wing garnish generously included.

Wow, I really like that Pokémon, especially how punny he is, as well as his awesome type. But there's zero chance that would say NU for long.

Quanyails

On sabbatical!
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Well, since Kadew's started the trend, I might as well add the CAP doodles I made one day onto here.

Some are sketchier and apply more stylistic changes than others.

Oh, I should also post that potential cry for Mollux inspired by an IRC session. Part of that recording is from Birkal.

Brambane

protect the wetlands
is a Contributor Alumnus
A well-balanced metagame starts with a well-balanced breakfast. Alongside orange juice and whole grain toast, this CAP is sure to get your day started right!

Newtella - The Hazelnut Spread Pokemon

Typing:
Dark (Chocolate)

Abilities:
Sticky Hold / Pressure (DW)

Stats:
10 g Fat / 1 g Protein / 15 mg Sodium / 1 g Dietary Fiber / 0 mg Potassium / 21 g Sugar
Total Calories: 200

Art:

New Move:
ChocoBomb
Category: Special | Type: Dark | BP: 60 | Acc: 100% | PP: 15 (24)
A delicious bomb that puts the foe in a unique "Spread" state: next time they are hit by an attack, it will deal 1.5x the normal amount of damage. This effect goes away if the the "spread" Pokemon switches out.

Movepool:
Level Up:
00: Lick
00: Harden
00: Encore
04: Pay Day
09: Minimize
14: Follow Me
18: Taunt
23: ChocoBomb
26: Acid Armor
30: Faint Attack
35: Sweet Scent
38: Torment
43: Milk Drink
47: Last Resort
51: Bestow
55: Destiny Bond
60: Captivate

TM/HM:
Toxic
Calm Mind
Hidden Power
Taunt
Hyper Beam
Protect
Rain Dance
Safeguard
Frustration
Thunderbolt
Return
Double Team
Sludge Wave
Sludge Bomb
Torment
Facade
Rest
Attract
Thief
Round
Echoed Voice
Focus Blast
False Swipe
Scald
Fling
Incinerate
Quash
Explosion
Payback
Retaliate
Giga Impact
Flash
Thunder Wave
Psych Up
Work Up
Poison Jab
Grass Knot
Swagger
Substitute
Wild Charge
Rock Smash

Egg:
Amorphous Group
Stored Power
Imprison
Curse
Mud Bomb
Heal Block
Night Shade
Flail
Clear Smog
Amnesia
Confuse Ray

Tutor:
Giga Drain
Seed Bomb
Pain Split
Uproar
Gunk Shot
Earth Power
Magic Coat
Block
Foul Play
Dark Pulse
Heat Wave
Snore
Outrage
Knock Off
Gastro Acid
Spite
Sleep Talk
Endeavor
Snatch

Pokedex Entries:
Black: This Pokemon is incredibly rare in the wild due to its abnormally large number of predators.

White: Every year, these Pokemon are gathered in great numbers and used to create a delicious spread for mass retail.

B2W2: Newtella avoid the sun during the day. If they get caught under it for too long, they will melt.

Kadew

*bird sounds*
is an Artist Alumnus
Time to tell the legend of Sassy Mollux.

Some time ago, within the magical world of #cap, a couple of people were innocently discussing the competitive merits of sassy-natured mollux. Little did they know, a rogue artist was lurking that would take that idea and run it into dark and forbidden paths.

All seemed to be well for a while. Only the first picture was spawned, and sassy shiny mollux was content to be fabulous as an avatar for some time. But she had wandering eyes, and her gaze would turn to the other CAPs soon enough.

Yes, sassy mollux ventured into the dark and forbidden arts of shipping. Long had CAP gone free from this plague upon fandoms, but no longer. Idle IRC conversation planted new, awful ideas in the rogue artist's head, and yet another pairing of sassy mollux was brought forth.

Bashful tomohawk fell to her charms just as cyclohm before. Will this madness soon cease? With the valentines season approaching fast, it does not seem likely. Who will she strike next? Only the whims of IRC and my own crazy know.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)