#Neverused Showdown v2.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Django

Started from the bottom...
is a Tiering Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Credit to #Pokemon Cups for the Rules and Point System
User Keiran made the strong banner.
#Neverused Showdown 1

So, as many of you are aware, the second version of this was a complete failure. A lot of it is my fault since I just didn't host enough, but we're back now and this time it's different. Instead of the small, daily, tournaments, we will be hosting 2-3 tournaments a week and aiming to get much bigger numbers. Sign ups and the like will still take place on IRC, but now the theme will be announced days in advance! This gives you time you build and test the best teams possible, making competition more intense. I'll be hosting most of the tournaments, but will likely need a bit of help so if you are able to reliably host then let me know. Anyway, lets go it.

Introduction

The #Neverused Showdown is a series of tournaments designed to test players teambuilding and battling skills to the very limit. Not only that, but you will get the opportunity to face some of the best NU players outside of the standard ladder environment, enabling players to explore the NU metagame with a twist. The cups are not simply the standard NU metagame, each one will have a unique theme or teambuilding restriction, in order to test players and extend their knowledge beyond the standard ladder teams. These themes are meant to provide a bit of entertainment, so may not be entirely competitive i.e. "Players may not use any Pokemon whose names start with a letter in users name". The theme will be announced a few days before the beginning of the tournament. Records will be kept of who wins each tournament, and at the end of each month a winner will be declared, recieving bragging rights until they lose their title!

How to play

Be sure to get on IRC and to the #Neverused channel, where you can discuss the NU metagame at any time of day. This link will take you directly to #neverused. The tournaments will be held here; Midnight GMT on Saturday, and 10 PM GMT on Sunday, but this can vary due to real life commitments of the host or activity of the channel at that time. The host will ask for participants at the start time, Simply post "in" on IRC when the hosts asks to join in. Matchups will be announced by the host and the battles begin.

Rules

• The standard NU banlist will be in place unless otherwise specified in the theme for the tournament.
  • Species Clause, Sleep Clause, Evasion Clause, OHKO Clause, and Timed Battle are all enforced unless otherwised specified in the theme.
  • Spectators should be allowed in all matches for the enjoyment of those not playing, everybody loves watching good matches! Despite this, scouting is not permittied so you should refrain from watching other battles if you are still in the tournament.
  • Stay active once signing up, you will be disqualified and possibly barred from joining future cups if you go afk without saying so.
Leaderboard and Points

Points Breakdown:

The points added up at the end of the month, and an overall winner will be declared.

Leaderboard

Amarillo - 4
CrashinBoomBang - 3
Django - 2
Raseri - 1
Sweet Jesus - 1

Also please don't clog this thread up with "
". Do however post if you want to discuss themes; we will likely be reusing a lot of the popular themes from previous seasons, so if you like something then speak up!

Django

is a Tiering Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Week 1
Theme: Gen 4 Tierlist, Gen 5 Mechanics

tennisace vs Brammi
Django vs Raseri
CrashinBoombang vs FLCL

Raseri vs CrashinBoomBang
Raseri vs tennisace
tennisace vs CrashingBoomBang

Annoyer vs Django
comptonkid vs amarillo
sweetjesus vs tennisace
drakon136 vs BYE

Amarillo vs drakon136
Django vs sweetjesus

Amarillo vs Django

CrashinBoomBang - 3
Django - 2
Raseri - 1
Sweet Jesus - 1

Django

The first theme for both Saturday and Sunday will be the Gen 4 Tierlist, Gen 5 Mechanics. This means DroughtTales, DrizzleToed and a number of other new toys (SmashPass!!) are available in the less powerful NU environment. Get building your teams!

Gen 4 tierlist found here

wooo Showdowns
Sounds interesting. I'm kind of annoyed due to the fact that I am GMT +1. Anybody not living in America will have very sub-optimal access times. Midnight and 10 PM is pretty late if you ask me. I think you're turning away a large audience with these times.
8 PM GMT and 11 PM GMT would be better?

Django

Sounds interesting. I'm kind of annoyed due to the fact that I am GMT +1. Anybody not living in America will have very sub-optimal access times. Midnight and 10 PM is pretty late if you ask me. I think you're turning away a large audience with these times.
8 PM GMT and 11 PM GMT would be better?
I'm the same timezone as you, and it's a compromise really. The earlier we run them, the less people from American timezones that will be avilable (and there are significantly more users in those timezones than GMT +Whatever). If activity is low we can look at changing it up, but currently this is the best compromise we have.

Django

Double post sue me.

The first showdown is in roughly 11 hours from this post. Be sure to hop onto #neverused and get your teams ready, competition will be tough.

wooo Showdowns
Might attend on Sunday.
Just out of curiosity, are there two tournaments(One on Saturday, one on Sunday) or are they both parts of the same tourney? I'm sorta new here.
9 PM is better than 10 PM IMO.

Django

Might attend on Sunday.
Just out of curiosity, are there two tournaments(One on Saturday, one on Sunday) or are they both parts of the same tourney? I'm sorta new here.
9 PM is better than 10 PM IMO.
Two separate tournaments, one on Saturday and one on Sunday. We might also add one in midweek if these turn out to be popular. As regards to timings, see my previous post; if it turns out that a slight adjustment to the time will increase participation, then we will do it. As for now it will remain as is, at least until we have run it a few times and can actually tell which times will be more active.

wooo Showdowns
I'll see what I can do about this. To be directly blunt, I haven't played Gen V NU in such a long time because I've been trying to powerladder the other tiers to make stuff drop to the lower ones in the hopes of making their metagames better.

That said, given I experiment with stuff such as Zangoose, Bastiodon, and Vespiquen in the upper tiers as well (often times with supreme effectiveness, but requiring a tonne of team support from actual members of those tiers; Blastoise to go with Vespiquen, for example, in UU), I don't think it will be hard for me to make a team with some of my favorites. My last NU team just copied what CherubAgent wanted to do and then changed itself to be different once I realized I couldn't work Klang well due to its limitations.

Either day is fine for me, although midweek might be greater if I can get some of my academics done within the time parametres.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
wooo Showdowns
petition to ban p2 all in favor raise your hand

/me raises hand

but seriously, 6 people in saturday's showdown, 6 porygon2. it's a really powerful mon...

Django

So yeah last nights showdown was far too quiet, hoping for a much bigger turnout tonight! Start building those teams and get on #neverused.

wooo Showdowns
Would love to participate but it's simply too early in the morning, assuming that the times adressed in the main post are -5 GMT =[ Maybe next week or maybe in the midweek tournament i'll join if the times are favorable.

Level 51

the orchestra plays the prettiest themes
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
wooo Showdowns
I might attend Sunday's; just hafta wake up on time >_>
edit: Oh wait, the times are in GMT? Crap. Maybe next round or something

Django

The times in the main post are GMT, which I realise is not ideal for those people in timezones like +5. Are there times that would work better for you guys? We want to get as many people as possible participating

wooo Showdowns
So it's GMT + 0:00. Shit, it's just out of my reach. Had it been on a Saturday, i might've been able to come, but tommorow is a workday =[ The ideal time for me (in GMT + 0:00) would be 7 PM. Don't wanna be cocky so if this is against someone else im sorry.

Django

So it's GMT + 0:00. Shit, it's just out of my reach. Had it been on a Saturday, i might've been able to come, but tommorow is a workday =[ The ideal time for me (in GMT + 0:00) would be 7 PM. Don't wanna be cocky so if this is against someone else im sorry.
haha its fine. We're working to try and accomodate as many people as possible so this is helpful. I'll see what activity is like tonight and then adjust the times according to that.

To anyone else reading this but not entirely happy with the times, let me know what works best for you, and I'll try and work something out.

Django

We got 7 people today wow!!

Anyway here is the bracket:

Annoyer vs Django
comptonkid vs amarillo
sweetjesus vs tennisace
drakon136 vs BYE

Amarillo vs drakon136
Django vs sweetjesus

Amarillo vs Django

And here is the final. Congratz Amarillo! I'll update points and stuff when I'm not feeling lazy + when I get results of yesterdays tour.

As for next weeks tours, Saturday will be hsoted by ium and Sunday will be hosted by Annoyer. Be sure to check this thread where they will annouce the times they are hosting as well as the theme!

wooo Showdowns
The theme for next week will be: STAB moves only. Rapid Spin is allowed even if you are not a Normal-type to balance out Stealth Rock slightly.

I will be hosting at 5 PM EST / 10 PM GMT on Sunday.

Cheers!

EDIT: Just for clarification purposes, support moves such as Toxic are still allowed, but only if you are a Poison-type etc.

wooo Showdowns
just to clarify, the theme will be the same for both saturday and sunday next week. so saturday's theme as well:
The theme for next week will be: STAB moves only. Rapid Spin is allowed even if you are not a Normal-type to balance out Stealth Rock slightly.
that means if you're itching to join for both days, then you're not forced to prepare another team.

i'll start saturday's, november 10th, at 12 AM GMT (7 PM EST). this time might be subject to change if there's a lot of people who can't make it.

wooo Showdowns
these times are perfect for me, i might attend on one of them :D

edit: about the theme, is it really just stab moves or are status moves allowed too?

double edit; never mind, just took a better look at annoyers post :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)