Victini and His Crew of Awesomeness

Changes made are in bold. Thanks for the advice, everyone.

So, I've been playing Pokemon since 1st gen, and started playing competitively near the tail end of 4th gen. This isn't the first team I made, but it's the first decent one. I made it about 9 months ago, so I don't remember the teambuilding process all that well. I just decided that I wanted to get this team, which I still love playing with, rated.

Keep in mind that I made this team back before BW2 were released, so it isn't really tailored to deal with new stuff like Therians, etc.

Anyway, the team.

Lucario (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Steadfast
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- ExtremeSpeed
- Bullet Punch

Lucario is the big late-game cleaner for this team. Once the opponent's team has been weakened sufficiently, I can just bring him in on a Ttar or something that hates fighting moves, swords dance, and sweep.

I prefer Adamant over Jolly because I have dual priority, and anything I'm going to be Close Combating will probably be slower. I've been going back and forth on what third coverage move to run, but decided on Bullet Punch because my team can handle stuff like Jellicent and Gliscor pretty well as it is (people seem intent on switching their Gliscors into Ice Beams from Tyranitar. It happens way more than I feel it should). Steadfast, despite what people say about it, is pretty helpful. When I do rarely get flinched, it helps a lot, as I can spam Close Combat without having to worry about being out sped.

Salamence (F) @ Life Orb
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 100 Atk / 176 SAtk / 232 Spd
Rash Nature (+SAtk, -SDef)
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Earthquake
- Roost

Ah, Mixmence. Very underrated, but very helpful to my team. First of all, with Intimidate and Roost, it can take Fighting-type hits for TTar and Lucario. Then, it can fire of Draco Meteors to its heart's content, stopping only to annihilate Steel-types with Fire Blast or Earthquake. Pretty standard; I think this set is called Classic Mixmence here on Smogon.

Salamence really shines in drawing out physical walls and crushing them, giving the opponent less cushion to take V-creates with and facilitating a Lucario sweep.

Tyranitar (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 64 SAtk / 192 SDef
Sassy Nature (+SDef, -Spd)
- Stealth Rock
- Crunch
- Fire Blast
- Ice Beam

While this team doesn't especially benefit from sand, it does benefit from not letting the opponent keep theirs up. Tyranitar let's me start a weather war that I'm not particularly invested in, but which the opponent usually has to try to win at all costs. Thus, if I'm playing cleverly, I can force them to make big sacrifices to keep their Politoed or Ninetales alive.

With these EVs and nature, Tyranitar becomes my go-to Pokemon to take special hits. From there, he can either set up Stealth Rocks, hit back, or pivot out to another team member.

Rotom (Rotom-W) @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 120 SAtk / 52 SDef / 88 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)

- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Thunder Wave
- Pain Split

At the suggestion of many, I changed Rotom-W to a bulkier spread, the better to take on rain teams that give this team issues. In particular, it keeps Life Orb Tornadus-T from wrecking my team. Thunder Wave is there over Will-o-Wisp because without a Scarfed Rotom-W, I don't have anything faster than Victini on the team.

Donphan (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 80 Atk / 176 Def
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)

- Rapid Spin
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Ice Shard

I don't have any really defensive Pokemon on this team; Donphan is as close as it gets. I usually just use him to take a hit and pivot out, spin, and mess up Dragonites/Salamences who try to set up in my face.

Spinning helps my team enormously; Victini and Salamence are both weak to rocks, and Rotom doesn't like dealing with them either.

At the suggestion of dragonuser, I changed the EVs to a more defensive spread that still has plenty of power. It should help, since Donphan has a lot he has to do (spin, pivot, etc).

Victini @ Choice Band
Trait: Victory Star
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- V-create
- Bolt Strike
- Zen Headbutt
- U-turn

Some people swear by Trick Room Victini, others like Scarf. I prefer Banded for the sheer, glorious, power.

Victini is undoubtedly the star of the team. Even if the opponent has a Heatran, I play Victini as agressively as possible - every time Victini gets in, and the opponent overpredicts, another of their Pokemon is dead. There are many games when I never bring out Lucario or Salamence once, but Victini aways does work. Even if Victini doesn't eliminate the opponent's team single-handedly by spamming V-create, he tears enough holes in it that Lucario can easily clean up.

Also, Victini apparently got Bolt Strike recently. Unfortunately, PO still won't let me put it. Zen Headbutt should help when I still want to do some damage, but don't want to lock myself into V-Create.

So, that's the team. Let me know what you think.

I didn't go too much into team synergy, but let me know if you want to know more about how they handle a particular threat or generally work together well.

First post! First RMT! How'd I do?

Bump. C'mon, not a single rate? I didn't think I was that pro. I know you're not supposed to bump after 2 weeks, but...

CS or Sub SD Terrakion can do a number to this team. The only thing that can take a single hit without going down is donphan, and nothing on your team outspeeds (besides rotom, but doesn't outspeed the cs variant). I suggest changing Tyranitar to a Landorus-T. With intimidate, it is a good check to almost any physical attacker, while still being able to do damage with its base 145 atk. I reccomend this set:

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Dr Ciel

Banned deucer.
Hey there, got your PM request to ratte this team, so that's exacly what I am here to do. I am a HUGE fan of hyper offense, which you are trying to do here, so I'm going to rate this to the best of my ability. As is my custom, I'm going to suggest some EV and Moveset changes, so keep in mind that it might involve changing a Pokemon or two. Since I cannot find an glaring weaknesses, it means that you have some great synergy. So, let's get onto the rating. First up, we have the monster dragon that is known as Salamence. I recommend using the New Mixmence over your current set of the Classic Mixmence. The New Mixmence is a more aggressive version of your current set and allows it to steamroll through both balanced and offensive teams with its wide variety of Physical and Special coverage moves. Moving on to your Rotom-W, I would recommend changing Thunderbolt to Trick. With Trick, Rotom-W can cripple many Pokemon, including the likes of Blissey and Chansey. Lastly, on Victini, you should use Bolt Strike over your current choice of Fusion Bolt. Bolt Strike has 30 more base power than Fusion Bolt and also has a 20% chance to paralyze your opponent. (Victini gets it through the Christmas Event) Also on Victini, I would use Zen Headbutt. Zen Headbutt gives you a secondary stab to V-Create, and that 20% flinch rate is always nice. Well, that's all I have to say for now. I really hope my advice helped. Have fun and good luck with your team!

Salamence @ Life Orb Lv. 100 -- Moxie

Nature: Rash - EVs: 64 Atk / 192 SAtk / 252 Spd

- Earthquake
- Fire Blast
- Outrage
- Draco Meteor

~Dr Ciel~ (The doctor is OUT)

dragonuser

The only thing I look up to is the sky
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Hey there,

So this looks like a pretty solid team, but I do see a weakness to Rain Teams. Both of your Water-Type resists are pretty easily worn down. For this reason I would suggest a Specially Defensive Rotom-W over your current Rotom-W. Rotom-W is a pretty lackluster scarfer atm, but makes a fantastic Specially Defensive pivot. This Rotom-W will make Pokemon like Tornadus-T and Keldeo easier to deal with. A moveset of Volt Switch / Hydro Pump / Thunder Wave / Pain Split would work well on your team. Most of the moves are pretty self explanatory, except Thunder Wave. With the change from Scarf Rotom to bulky, you lose a decent amount of speed. While your priority slightly makes up for it, having another way to slow down boosting sweepers is really helpful. An EV spread of 252 HP / 96 Def / 160 SDef with a Calm Nature seems optimal. Now while this team is pretty offensive, I still think a more defensive Donphan set would benefit you. Donphan is your main physical pivot, and it needs a decent amount of bulk to do that and spin. However I can understand your want for power so I would recommend using an EV spread of 252 HP / 80 Atk / 176 Def. This gives Donphan some more power, while giving it considerable bulk. I would also use an Impish Nature to further boost his defensive capabilities. Final little nitpick, like Dr Ciel said, is to use Bolt Strike on Victini. This is a pretty much overall superior option to Fusion Bolt that Victini recently got due to an event. Anyways, cool team gl.

CyberOdin✝

¨ I will persist ¨ ❤
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a defending SPL Championis a Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion

Rotom-W (Rotom-W) @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 8 Def / 156 SAtk / 92 SDef
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch

I believe that the best equipment comes yours one bulky rotom a Choice Scarf also the bulky will provide better resistance against Tornadus - t, among some special attacks and defense WoW state hurt who is in front stop good depends which Pokemon and accompanied with pain split to restore a bit of HP's rival resiva it.

another suggestion to put him flamethrower tyranitar because the fire blast depends a lot on luck and not nice when it fails vs annoying enemies as well ferrothorn.

Hey!

I got your PM, so I figured I would stop by and give you a rate. I'm not sure how your RMT slipped through the cracks, but it seems like you're getting some love now. Anyway, I'm going to assume Victini is the star of the show and that you'd rather not replace it, so I'll try to keep Victini around. I actually think you'll get some more solid advice because you waited instead of getting it right before Genesect was banned. I really like Double Priority Lucario on hyper offense teams, and the biggest problem it faced was Genesect.

Anyway, onto your team. I think you'd really benefit from going a hyper-offensive route. Donphan seems to be weighing down your all-out approach, so why not try Lead Deoxys-d? As much as it kills me to say it (since I have to play against you guys, haha), the Mental Herb set is so effective at doing its job. Use Thunder Wave to punish set-up Pokemon. With Genesect gone, there's pretty much no Pokemon that can stop you from getting Stealth Rock, and very few that can stop you from getting SR + Spikes. It's that good. With Salamence / Victini, you'll be creating a lot of switches, and the extra hazards will help you get KO's and weaken stuff for Lucario.

Next, you don't need SR Tyranitar anymore, so why not try Choice Band? I have the biggest CB Tar fetish, but it's the best Tyranitar set out there and totally wrecks the metagame. It will give you some weather control which is a big plus that most Deoxys-D teams don't have. Use 100 Speed Evs, 252 Atk EVs, and the rest in HP. It will give you a fantastic weapon with which to beat Lati@s which kind of give you trouble right now.

I think you should keep Scarf Rotom-w if you go with my changes. Your team is a little on the slower side, and I don't want you to be at a disadvantage if you're up against Tornadus-t or something like that. Optionally, you can go with Sp Defensive Rotom-w like many others have mentioned, but then Dragonite or other Physical set-up Pokemon might give you some grief.

Good luck!

Thanks for all the advice everyone. I'm hesitant about changing out Donphan, as with him goes my ability to spin. However, the slightly bulkier spread for him is a definite change I'm going to make.

Specially Defensive Rotom-W would be a great help against rain; I would love to change to that, but my only qualm would be that I wouldn't have anything particularly fast on the team. Wouldn't that be a problem?

Finally, I play on PO, and they haven't banned Genesect. I know he's banned here, but is there any way to counter it more effectively? (Scarf seems to be the set of choice on PO.)

Hey there, got your PM request to ratte this team, so that's exacly what I am here to do. I am a HUGE fan of hyper offense, which you are trying to do here, so I'm going to rate this to the best of my ability. As is my custom, I'm going to suggest some EV and Moveset changes, so keep in mind that it might involve changing a Pokemon or two. Since I cannot find an glaring weaknesses, it means that you have some great synergy. So, let's get onto the rating. First up, we have the monster dragon that is known as Salamence. I recommend using the New Mixmence over your current set of the Classic Mixmence. The New Mixmence is a more aggressive version of your current set and allows it to steamroll through both balanced and offensive teams with its wide variety of Physical and Special coverage moves. Moving on to your Rotom-W, I would recommend changing Thunderbolt to Trick. With Trick, Rotom-W can cripple many Pokemon, including the likes of Blissey and Chansey. Lastly, on Victini, you should use Bolt Strike over your current choice of Fusion Bolt. Bolt Strike has 30 more base power than Fusion Bolt and also has a 20% chance to paralyze your opponent. (Victini gets it through the Christmas Event) Also on Victini, I would use Zen Headbutt. Zen Headbutt gives you a secondary stab to V-Create, and that 20% flinch rate is always nice. Well, that's all I have to say for now. I really hope my advice helped. Have fun and good luck with your team!

Salamence @ Life Orb Lv. 100 -- Moxie

Nature: Rash - EVs: 64 Atk / 192 SAtk / 252 Spd

- Earthquake
- Fire Blast
- Outrage
- Draco Meteor

~Dr Ciel~ (The doctor is OUT)
Thanks for the rate. I've never used New Mixmence before, and it looks tempting, but wouldn't it die really easily to SR and Life Orb and Sandstorm and lack of Intimidate? Or is that the point of it - to wreck as much stuff as it can before fainting? Also, wouldn't I lose a valuable Intimidator and reliable Fighting-type resist?

Zen Headbutt will be awesome on Victini. Thanks a ton for that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)