Odd future

ODD FUTURE

Hey guys! This is my OU team I've been using for a couple weeks now. Ive gotten moderate success with this team. This team was built around Gengar. And nicknamed to what i was listening to as i created this team, Odd Future. All advice is accepted and welcomed. On to the team.

Team Building Process:
The first three pokemon that were added on this team is one of my favorite offensive cores in 4th Gen. Azelf Gengar and Lucario

I had some problems taking special attacks so i added rotom wash

Lucario at this point couldnt clean up very well so i added Thundurus Therian

The last member of my team was chosen out of all the setup fodder in the meta. I decided to use Gyrados.

As suggested by Neliel Tu Oderschvank I dropped Azelf and Rotom W and replaced them with Deoxys D and Breloom respectively.

Team analysis

"Syd Tha Kid" Deoxys D @ Rocky Helmet
Trait:Pressure
252 HP 252 Speed 4SpeD
Timid Nature
Stealth Rock
Spikes
Taunt
Magic coat
As suggested, Azelf was switched out for Deoxys. Deoxys can outspeed most other SRers and taunt them as i set up both spikes and SR. Magic coat can work if a faster lead trys to taunt me. Deoyxs has little purpose once its set up if the other team lacks rapid spin so I usually let it be fodder to either get thundurus or lucario in. May put Icy wind for a suprise factor as it will be seen as setup bait.

Synergy
Bug: Lucario Gyrados Gengar Thundurus
Ghost: Lucario
Dark: Lucario

"Wolf Haley" Gengar @Black Sludge
Trait: Levitate
252 SAtk 252 SPD 4HP
Timid nature
Substitute
Disable
Shadow Ball
Focus blast / HP fighting

Gengar is the glue to the team in my opinion. Substitute is used to see what my opponent whats to do and the disable that move. Sub is also used when gengar forces my opponent to switch. Shadow ball is stab while focus blast provides some coverage. Might consider changing focus blast to hp fighting for better accuracy. May add the pain split set or add a hidden power ice to help counter dragons.

Synergy
Ghost:Lucario
Psychic: Azelf

"Earl Sweatshirt" Lucario @ Life Orb
Trait: Justified
252 Atk 252 SPD 4SpeD
Adamantnature
Swords Dance
Close combat
Extremespeed
Crunch

As suggested Choice band was swapped for the swords dance set.. Late game this thing can finish games.Swords dance lets me go +2 as with his many resistances, Lucario forces a switch. Stab CC is still one of the best moves and hits many things hard. Espeed can finish anything thats faster than me. Crunch is there for coverage. He can also take dark attacks that gengar and Deoyxs cannot and then gain +1 in attack.

Synergy
Fire: Gyrados rotom wash
Fighting: Thundurus Therain Gyrados Azelf Gengar
Ground: Thundurus T Gyra Azelf Gengar Rotom W

"Hodgy Beats" Thundurus-T @ choice scarf
Trait: Volt absorb
252 SpA 252 SPD 4 HP
Timid nature
Thunderbolt
Focus Blast
HP Ice
Volt Switch

Thundurus is my revenge killer. Also my main way of eleminating dragons. Tbolt is stab and coming from Therian it doesnt play games. Focus blast deals with cloyster who takes me out with icicle spear or rock blast. Volt switch was suggested to scout and switch as this thing forces switches. With all the rain going on in the meta, may consider having thunder instead of thunderbolt. Thundurus is one of the best scouts right now in my opinion. Switched Modest to timid nature to outspeed other speed base 100 pokemon like scarf Jirachi, salamence+1, volcarona+1, other scarf thundurus and Landorus.

Synergy
Ice: Lucario Rotom-W
Rock: Lucario

"Mike G" Gyarados @ leftovers
Trait: Moxie
EVS 248 Atk 204 SPD 56HP
Adamant Nature
Substitute
Dragon Dance
Waterfall
Bounce

Gyarados is the odd one out of my team. Its kinda of the last member that just got thrown in. Sub DD moxie gyara can change the pace of a game. If it sets up it can sweep most lf the team. Bounce is a move that stalls almost, if a opponent uses outrage or choiced and can get lucky and paralyze. Waterfall has a good flinch rate to set up para flinch with bounce. Considering adding intimidate instead of Moxie making it more of a wall.

Synergy
Electric: Thundurus
Rock: Lucario

Breloom (F) @ Life Orb
Trait: Technician
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Spore
- Mach Punch
- Bullet Seed
- Swords Dance
Ahh, Breloom. One the most underrated pokemon. This things in fourth gen got a great ability with poison heal, making it a status absorber and a common sub seed threat. With 5th generation, it got even better with the dream world ability Technician. Being able to always put something to sleep with spore, then usually forcing a switch i can SD up. Now with prioruty mach punch and stab bullet seed i can decimate many opponents.
Synergy
Fire: Gyarados
Ice: Lucario
Poison Gengar Lucario
Flying None

Last look​

That is my team. Hope you enjoy!
Importable
Syd Tha Kid (Deoxys-Defense) @ Rocky Helmet
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
IVs: 30 Atk / 30 Def
- Stealth Rock
- Magic Coat
- Spikes
- Taunt

Wolf Haley (Gengar) @ Black Sludge
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Disable
- Substitute
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast

Hodgy Beats (Thundurus-Therian) (M) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Volt Absorb
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Modest Nature
- Focus Blast
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Earl Sweatshirt (Lucario) @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- ExtremeSpeed
- Swords Dance
- Crunch

Frank Ocean (Breloom) @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
- Spore
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Seed
- Mach Punch

Mike G (Gyarados) @ Leftovers
Trait: Moxie
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 56 HP / 248 Atk / 204 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Substitute
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Bounce

Previous members
Azelf Azelf was switched out for Speedy Deoxys Defense

"Domo Genesis" Azelf @focussash
EVS: 252 SAtk 252 SPD 4SDef
Timid Nature
Stealth Rock
Fire Blast
Thunderbolt
Hidden Power Ice

Azelf is my suicide lead. Rocks are a necessity in this metagame and one of my favorite users of it are suicide leads. Not only can he set up rocks, he can rip holes in teams. The coverage of Ice Fire and Electric can hit nearly everything neutral. The one problem I see with my Azelf is that it does not have stab, which I could have used the physic in some situations. Azelf may be switched for a bulkier stealth rock setter.

Synergy
Bug: Lucario Gyrados Gengar Thundurus
Ghost: Lucario

Rotom: Rotom wasnt really needed so i switched it out for SD Breloom (Suggested by Neliel Tu Oderschvank)

"Left Brain" Rotom-W @ Choice specs
252 Hp 252 SDef 4 SAtk
Calm Nature
Trick
Volt Switch
Discharge
Hydropump

Rotom serves a couple purposes on this team. With his nice resistances and such he can act as a specially defensive wall. But his movepool is so great he also can be used as a scout and a hole puncher. With discharge and Trick he also can cripple physical threats with specs or stop sweepers with a paralysis. Hydropump works well with stab and one of the more common weather powers it up.

Synergy
Grass: Thundurus gengar Lucario

Threat List
Gastrodon
this thing is nearly impossible for me to kill with out destroying most of my team reallyt need hp grass or grass knot on something

Dr Ciel

Banned deucer.
Hello.

This is a very nice offensive team you have here, so I'd like to give you some praise for using it. Anyways, this team is really well put together, put it has it's flaws, so hopefully my rate can help improve this team. So, without any further adu, let's get onto the rate! Alright, first up, I would definitely consider changing Lucario to a Swords Dance set over your current one. Life Orb Lucario is one of the best late game sweepers in the metagame today, as it has unparalleled power and can absolutely decimate opposing teams once it's counters are removed. Moving forward, I would recommend using Volt Switch over Grass Knot on Thundurus-T. Volt Switch gives you a quick way to switch to the appropriate Pokemon to deal with the threat that is already on the battlefield. Up next, on Rotom-W, I would recommend using Hidden Power Ice over Discharge. Hidden Power Ice allows Rotom-W to get some coverage against Dragon Pokemon and Gliscor. Finally, I would change Gyrados' EV spread to one of 56 HP / 248 Atk / 204 Spe over your current one. The 204 Speed EV's allow Gyarados to outspeed all base 115 Speed Pokemon, with the rest of the EV's thrown into Attack and HP. Well, that's all I have to say for now. I hope my advice helped. Have fun and good luck in your future endeavours!

Lucario @ Life Orb Lv. 100 -- Justified

Nature: Adamant - EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd

- Swords Dance
- Crunch
- ExtremeSpeed
- Close Combat

~Dr Ciel~ (The doctor is OUT)

Neliel

Sacred Sword
Hey,

First of all i would like to stress the change of Sword dance Lucario, its one of the best sweeper in the game in my opinion and with the choice band it becomes just bad.
However, i feel like Stealth rock are a little problematic for your team, since you have two pokemon weak to it, without any move to prevent them or either spin them. I also feel like your rotom-w is a bit out of place, so i think you need a replacement for it.

Now, for your stealth rock weakness, you dont even need that much other than taunt in your lead. Taunt is very important because it prevents stealth rock from slow walls as well as other things like Deoxys-d and Stealth rock terrakion. If you decide to use it, put taunt instead of one of your coverage moves, its up to you. However i feel like you can appreciate much an another lead for two reason.
First, you have gengar, which is supposed to prevent your opponent to rapid spin. I honestly would not use gengar only to prevent my stealth rock from being spinned, thats a waste. Second, your team really appreciates spikes support, because it lacks of very strong attackers, so the passive damages of spikes could help you immensily. I think that you can use Deoxys-defense over azelf for these two reason. A set of Spikes / Stealth rock / Taunt / Magic coat is what you should use. As for your item, try rocky helmet. It proved to be usefull since it lets you beat some spinners like forretress as well as slowly damage your opponent if he decide to attack. Stealth rock and spikes are self explanatory, while taunt, in combination with a max speed investiment lets you outspeed the most of the stealth rocker in the game. Where taunt cant prevent them, here magic coat does the trick. Magic coat prevents faster taunt user to taunt you, like Sash terrakion and Azelf, so you have an easy time with them. It also lets you beat other deo-d that lacks of magic coat. With these two moves, you will almost never have sr in your field.

Now, as i said, i think your rotom-w can be removed. Specs rotom-w is cool, but this is not the team where you can use it at its full potential. The point is that its slow, so it will probably die before it can do something, and thundurus already does the same job, so its just a waste of a slot. What i think you can try is an another setup pokemon to help Lucario and Gyarados sweeping the opponent. I saw you are weak to Gastrodon, so i think that a grass type can help here. Sword dance breloom is probably your best pokemon to try in this spot, it will let you setup on rotom-w, beat gastrodon with bullet seed and provide and good revenge killer for threaths like Terrakion that can have an easy time against this team. The set you can try is Spore / bullet seed / Mach punch / Sword dance. The strategy is very simple, spore something slower, setup a sword dance and spam the priority mach punch. Breloom helps with lucario because they provide you some form or revenge kill with the priority moves and a strong sweeper at the same time. However, for your item, you can experiment while you test it, but i think life orb is appreciated here, simply because it lets you do more damage.

Now, one last thing. Thundurus should have a timid nature instead of modest. The point of scarfed pokemon is to revenge kill things, not do heavy damage. Timid is needed because otherwhise you lose against other speed base 100 pokemon like scarf Jirachi, salamence+1, volcarona+1, other scarf thundurus and Landorus. Also, since you have breloom, i think you can replace volt switch for grass knot, volt switch is a cool move that let you mantain offensive momentum even if your pokemon is choiced, just whatch out for ground types.

-->
Deoxys-D @ Rocky Helmet
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Taunt
- Magic Coat

-->
Breloom (F) @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Spore
- Mach Punch
- Bullet Seed
- Swords Dance

Modest-->timid
Grass Know--> Volt switch

dragonuser

The only thing I look up to is the sky
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Hey there,

This is a pretty cool HO team, but I do see a few weaknesses. Sun teams look very difficult to face, in particular Venusaur who pretty much beats each of your Pokemon. Additionally an opposing Thundurus-T, especially Agility sets, look very threatening to face. To help with this I would suggest using Dragon Dance Dragonite > Breloom. Dragonite is a fantastic Sun check, while also giving you a second strong priority user to fall back on for threatening Agility users. Dragonite does much of what Breloom did for you, while giving some added resistances and benefits. However, with this change you become significantly weaker to Scarf Terrakion, so I would suggest running Bullet Punch on Lucario. Bullet Punch stops Terrakions from checking you, and can be a last minute check to a endgame one. Also since your team is so heavily reliant on Gengar to spinblock I would recommend running LO Pain Split Gengar. This gives Gengar a much better shot at beating opposing spinners like Tentacruel as well as letting it dent opposing teams more, which HO teams like this really appreciate. Anyways, cool team man and gl.

Hey thanks for the rate! for the most part as long as venasaur isnt +2, Gengar can switch in, Disable HP Fire then weaken it with shadow balls. Terrakion can also be hit with Mach punch from breloom. I shall try the suggested changes but for the most part i can handle sun teams.

I have a couple of changes i would like to add to this team. The first is to change that gyrados to Choice scarf Keldeo as it can be a check to rain as other than breloom you have no resists to strong moves of the water type. Other than that the team looks very good, i just think no Hyper offense team should go without a scarfer :3

Keldeo @choice scarf
EVs:252 SpA/ 252 Spd
Timid Nature
-Hydro pump
-Surf
-Hidden power ice
-Secret sword

I have a couple of changes i would like to add to this team. The first is to change that gyrados to Choice scarf Keldeo as it can be a check to rain as other than breloom you have no resists to strong moves of the water type. Other than that the team looks very good, i just think no Hyper offense team should go without a scarfer :3

Keldeo @choice scarf
EVs:252 SpA/ 252 Spd
Timid Nature
-Hydro pump
-Surf
-Hidden power ice
-Secret sword
Definetly test this but I already have a scarfer in Thundurus-Therian but thanks for the rate. :3

Ah my bad lol! But possibly the dual scarfers can catch them off guard? they would expect keldeo and then you brong out thundurus also? Just an idea :3

chimpact

fire nation
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Hey there you got a pretty nice HO team.

I have a few suggestions though that the previous raters havent mentioned. You could try to change the item on Deoxys to red card. It can help against pokemon who want to set up on deoxys and cant take it out in one hit (even after set up) so you can freely set up your hazards and maybe taunt them if they're approaching a OHKO on you. Additionally if they hit you, you will probably have a more favorable matchup and get up more hazards and more entry hazard damage on another pokemon.

The only other suggestion I have is to give your Breloom an Adamant nature over Jolly to give it some more power on Life Orb.

Hello there,

I got your VM so I'ill give you a rate.

First of all, I suggest you to use Choice Scarf Gengar replacing your current one because Choice Scarf Gengar is simple the best anti-spinner in the current metagame and you need to keep Stealth Rock and Spikes up to support your sweepers. Also, Gengar with Choice Scarf, Destiny Bond and its coverage moves is a good revenge-killer too and that's pretty good in my opinion. I'd use a EV Spread of 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spe with a moveset of Shadow Ball, Focus Blast, Destiny Bold and Hidden Power Ice, with a Timid nature and with Choice Scarf of course. If you decide to use Choice Scarf, you can change Thundurus-T's set a bit. In this team, I'd use a Double Boost set one instead of your current one because it would work well in your team thanks to Spikes' support and because it can also break easily the stall teams with Nasty Plot and the offensive teams with Agility so it's a very good all-around sweeper. I'd use an EV spread of 4 HP | 252 SAtk | 252 Spe with a moveset of Nasty Plot, Agility, Thunderbolt and Hidden Power Ice with a Modest nature and with Lum Berry to avoid annoying status like Scald's burn or Spore's sleep. Finally, I agree with Chimpakt's suggestion to use Adamant nature > Jolly nature on Breloom to hit harder with Life Orb.

Good luck with your team!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)