Balanced OU Team

This is to mention my first time using RMT, but hopefully with this I can get the help of many intelligent brains to create a powerful team to fight against the unstable metagame. Anyways this is how the team looks like. You can me on Pokemon Showdown under the name "iPWN"

Terrakion @ Choice Band
Trait: Justified
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- X-Scissor

This is the standard Choice Banded Terrakion designed to break the walls of many teams. It's EV's are pretty standard because as great as customized EV's get, I don't want to lose to other Terrakions out there using the same set (and hopefully win speed ties) Mainly Close Combat is used because it has the highest attack power not to mention STAB. Earthquake is there to take down most bulky Jirachi who are not behind a substitute and it does a decent job taking down slow electric types. Stone Edge is just another great STAB in case Pokemon like bulky Jellicent is out, who is immune to Close Combat. X-Scissor is there to clean up Pokemon like Reuniclus.

Latios (M) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Surf
- Hidden Power Fire

This is another standard Scarf Latios set used to revenge kill pokemon who don't run priority moves, and faster scarf Pokemon like Timid Latios. In case another Latios or Gengar or any faster special attacker other than Keldeo comes out Blissey will be the one to handle the problem if it's still alive, hoping they don't predict it and use Psyshock. It runs Modest nature to get a noticeably different power in revenge killing with Draco Meteor, which is Latios's main move. EV's are set to be fast and powerful. Draco Meteor is the most commonly used move because of it's base power of 140 times STAB (210) and versatility to hit neutral damage to most types. Psyshock is there as another STAB used against Blissey and the majority of Fighting type Pokemon if they didn't use bulk up. Surf is great under the rain if it was out, and Hidden Power Fire is used to take out Ferrothorn, who is a common switch-in to take a Latios's Draco Meteor.

Skarmory (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 Atk
Impish Nature
- Spikes
- Roost
- Drill Peck
- Whirlwind

Yet again another standard Skarmory paired with Blissey. Sturdy is there to take a special attack under very crucial setup cases. EV's are set for taking attacks like a champ. Spikes is used over Stealth Rock because Blissey can learn Stealth Rock and Blissey cannot learn Spikes. Roost is used for quick recovery. Drill Peck is used over the common Brave Bird because Drill Peck can be used without recoil damage, which disables Sturdy. Whirlwind stops setups that do not use ingrain, and can be used to shuffle hazard damage.

Blissey (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 SDef / 252 HP / 4 Def
Serious Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Heal Bell
- Wish
- Protect

The good old SkarmBliss combo is revived on this team because it does what it needs to do best, which is taking hits, setting up hazards, and helping any Pokemon who is yelling "MEDIC!". Stealth Rock is used because Skarmory can help set up spikes. Heal Bell heals status conditions to keep the team under good condition. Wish is used over Softboil because it can heal allies during battle. Protect can be used after Wish, or it can be used as a Scouting move to make a good switch.

Hippowdon (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SDef / 4 Def
Careful Nature
- Curse
- Earthquake
- Slack Off
- Crunch

This Hippowdon is a little different from the standard Stealth Rocking Hippowdon because this is NOT a Sandstorm Team. In the metagame full of weather I though Hippowdon would be great as a Weather Setter because out of all the weathers in the metagame Sandstorm fitted this team. Not to mention Stoutland and Sandslash cannot penetrate Skarmory's defense so easily. Avoiding Standard sets I wanted to give EV's and natures dedicated to Special Defense (but Defense is still better regardless) I have Curse to boost its offensive capabilities, and even more of its unEV'd defense. Earthquake is for STAB, and Crunch is for coverage. Hippowdon was used over Tyranitar because it would mean Mono-Fighting Fighters and any Fighting type could dominate the match.

Wobbuffet (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Shadow Tag
EVs: 160 SDef / 252 HP / 96 Def
Bold Nature
- Counter
- Mirror Coat
- Encore
- Destiny Bond

Behold the Wobbufet that was once Ubers now brought down to BL because how predictable it got. But it doesn't mean it sucks completely it kills choice item users when it comes in the right time. EV's are set to have maximum Counter and Mirror Coat Damage with an even amount of defense. Encore is used when it comes in with a setter bar Breloom. Destiny Bond is used over Safeguard because if status were a problem Blissey's Heal Bell is there to heal the problems, plus it's good to either scare for recover or take the enemy down with you.

Trinitrotoluene

young ☆nd foolish
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hey. This is a pretty cool team, but it has a few flaws which I think really hinder it from achieving success in OU. For one, you lack a reliable switch-in to the powerful Water-type moves thrown by rain teams, as well as a reliable switch-in to Fighting-types (Skarmory boasts a neutrality and can be 2HKOed by certain fighters (Terrakion comes to mind). To alleviate the latter problem without too much fuss, I'd recommend using an offensive pivot Landorus-T over your Hippowdon. This change gives you a reliable switch-in to all variants of Terrakion as well as a more reliable SR setter that appreciates Blissey's massive Wishes. Landorus-T also gives your team a solid answer to Dragonite and back-up physical wall should Skarmory be weakened prematurely. In addition, thanks to Landorus-T's access to U-turn, it can act as a pivot so your two offensive powerhouses (Latios and Terrakion) can get safer switch-ins so they can start wreaking havoc on the opponent's team. In turn, to solve the former problem, I'd like you to use a Specially Defensive Jellicent over your Wobbuffet. Jellicent gives you a switch-in that is virtually unaffected by Politoed (aside from the stray Toxic, which can be healed by Blissey), Keldeo, and Volcarona (unless it has Giga Drain!), three of the largest special threats in the metagame. Jellicent also keeps your hazards from going away too soon, which is something that your team will definitely appreciate.

Now, for some nitpicks. First off, Blissey would definitely appreciate an EV spread of 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpD with a Calm nature. Yes, Blissey isn't meant to be a physical wall, but with its Defense maximized, it can switch into weaker physical attacks and move from there. Besides, Blissey's HP is high enough where it can heal most of its teammates to nearly full HP with one Wish even with a lack of investment in HP. Now that Landorus-T is carrying Stealth Rock, you can now use an attacking move on your Blissey (I prefer Seismic Toss as Blissey's attacking move, but you can try out Flamethrower if hitting Ferrothorn is so important) so it doesn't become full-on Taunt bait. Using Thunder Wave over Protect also helps beat down faster weather-based sweepers like Venusaur and Fighters that just love to switch in on Blissey, thinking that it cannot do anything to stop them from setting up. Now, for Skarmory, I'd like to see you use an EV spread of 232 HP / 252 Def / 24 SpD over your current EV spread. This conservation of HP EVs allows Skarmory to recover all the way to Sturdy range after switching into SR once and receiving 2 turns of Leftovers recovery. Also, I'd like to see your Latios run a Timid nature over the Modest nature it's curremtly running. Timid allows Latios to outpace Keldeo, Terrakion, and opposing dragons, assuring your team that DragMag teams won't be edging past your defenses if they catch Skarmory off-guard. A summarized list of changes can be found below.

Sets:

Jellicent @ Leftovers | Water Absorb
Calm | 248 HP / 60 Def / 200 SpD | 0 Atk
Night Shade | Scald | Recover | Will-O-Wisp

Landorus-T @ Rocky Helmet | Intimidate
Adamant | 200 HP / 64 Atk / 244 Def
Stealth Rock | Earthquake | Stone Edge | U-turn

Nitpicks:
  • ====>
  • ====>
    • Stealth Rock ====> Seismic Toss / Flamethrower
    • Protect ====> Thunder Wave
    • 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD Serious ====> 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpD Calm
    • 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def ====> 232 HP / 252 Def / 24 SpD
    • Modest ====> Timid

Jellicent's EV spread guarantees that Starmie's Psyshock and LO Mixed Infernape's Stone Edge won't be 2HKOing Jellicent outside of a critical hit, and Landorus-T's EVs avoid a 2HKO from CB Terrakion's Stone Edge. Anyways, I hope this helps. Good luck with your team.

EDIT: I don't think you understand why I recommended Defense EVs on Blissey. The Defense EVs are there to assure that your team isn't screwed against special attacks when Tyranitar or Scizor decides to Pursuit your Blissey, which is your main special wall. Also, Blissey has so much HP that investing in it won't do much to increase your team's overall durability. Agh.

Honus

magna carta
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Hey there, cool team. One thing I noticed is how annoying Keldeo could potentially be for this team. A really annoying thing about it is that it's one of the few special threats that straight up wrecks Blissey [thanks to Sacred Sword]. Latios is obviously a decent way to beat it and wins 1 on 1, but as the battle progresses some problems could arise. For instance some Keldeo carry Icy Wind, which does 37.09% - 43.71% and also has the chance to lower Latios's speed, forcing it back out. Additionally, Latios can potentially take SR damage on top of that, so a wise opponent could keep luring Latios in before finishing it off. Worst of all is that Latios is choice locked, so if you use a move like Psyshock, you're immediately at risk of being trapped and killed by Tyranitar. Anyways, I think the best way to fix this weakness would be to try a CM Roar Latias over Latios. Latias is a much more effective counter to Keldeo as its bulkier and has the ability to Roost so that Keldeo has a much harder time battering it down. Additionally, Roar is a fantastic move on Latias, and CM+Roar Latias is as good as a partner for Spiking Skarmory as Blissey is. The two cover Pokemon that annoy the other and Roar is a great way of making use of Spikes, whenever a Scizor or Tyranitar switch is predicted, or you're up against a CM or Nasty Plot Pokemon, Latias can just phaze them back out into hazards easily. To replace your scarfer, I'm going to advocate trying a Scarfed Gothitelle over Wobbuffet. Scarfed Gothitelle is fantastic for both crippling with Trick and picking off weakened mons. This Pokemon is especially useful in stall wars; if you get their Spiker or Spinner caught then you have a gigantic advantage, furthermore the very presence of Gothitelle discourages spiking/spinning in the first place, which is awesome. Overall I think it's good to keep a scarfer and Gothi is way more effective than Wobb. Finally I just have a few objective changes for you. First I'd change Hippowdon's moveset to the standard variant, which is SR/Ice Fang/EQ/Slack Off. This set is infinitely more effective, and you shouldn't really be worried with curse sweeping with a wall like Hippo. Once SR is on Hippo, I'd change Blissey's set to Seismic Toss/Toxic/Wish [or Heal Bell]/Softobiled. Seismic Toss and Toxic are essentially for Blissey to take down stuff and do damage, it's really not as effective w/o them, and don't worry about Wish and Softboiled being counterproductive, if you want to use Protect that's fine, but if you pass a lot of wishes around you could risk running out of PP.

Change Summary:

Hippowdon:
Curse->Stealth Rock
Crunch->Ice Fang

Blissey:
Stealth Rock->Seismic Toss
Heal Bell->Toxic

Latias (F) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Calm Mind
- Roar
- Roost
- Dragon Pulse

Gothitelle (F) Chocie Scarf
Timid Nature (+Spd, - Atk)
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spd
- Psyshock / Psychic
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power Ice / Hidden Power Fire
- Trick

The Revision #1

Hey there, cool team. One thing I noticed is how annoying Keldeo could potentially be for this team. A really annoying thing about it is that it's one of the few special threats that straight up wrecks Blissey [thanks to Sacred Sword]. Latios is obviously a decent way to beat it and wins 1 on 1, but as the battle progresses some problems could arise. For instance some Keldeo carry Icy Wind, which does 37.09% - 43.71% and also has the chance to lower Latios's speed, forcing it back out. Additionally, Latios can potentially take SR damage on top of that, so a wise opponent could keep luring Latios in before finishing it off. Worst of all is that Latios is choice locked, so if you use a move like Psyshock, you're immediately at risk of being trapped and killed by Tyranitar. Anyways, I think the best way to fix this weakness would be to try a CM Roar Latias over Latios. Latias is a much more effective counter to Keldeo as its bulkier and has the ability to Roost so that Keldeo has a much harder time battering it down. Additionally, Roar is a fantastic move on Latias, and CM+Roar Latias is as good as a partner for Spiking Skarmory as Blissey is. The two cover Pokemon that annoy the other and Roar is a great way of making use of Spikes, whenever a Scizor or Tyranitar switch is predicted, or you're up against a CM or Nasty Plot Pokemon, Latias can just phaze them back out into hazards easily. To replace your scarfer, I'm going to advocate trying a Scarfed Gothitelle over Wobbuffet. Scarfed Gothitelle is fantastic for both crippling with Trick and picking off weakened mons. This Pokemon is especially useful in stall wars; if you get their Spiker or Spinner caught then you have a gigantic advantage, furthermore the very presence of Gothitelle discourages spiking/spinning in the first place, which is awesome. Overall I think it's good to keep a scarfer and Gothi is way more effective than Wobb. Finally I just have a few objective changes for you. First I'd change Hippowdon's moveset to the standard variant, which is SR/Ice Fang/EQ/Slack Off. This set is infinitely more effective, and you shouldn't really be worried with curse sweeping with a wall like Hippo. Once SR is on Hippo, I'd change Blissey's set to Seismic Toss/Toxic/Wish [or Heal Bell]/Softobiled. Seismic Toss and Toxic are essentially for Blissey to take down stuff and do damage, it's really not as effective w/o them, and don't worry about Wish and Softboiled being counterproductive, if you want to use Protect that's fine, but if you pass a lot of wishes around you could risk running out of PP.

Change Summary:

Hippowdon:
Curse->Stealth Rock
Crunch->Ice Fang

Blissey:
Stealth Rock->Seismic Toss
Heal Bell->Toxic

Latias (F) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Calm Mind
- Roar
- Roost
- Dragon Pulse

Gothitelle (F) Chocie Scarf
Timid Nature (+Spd, - Atk)
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spd
- Psyshock / Psychic
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power Ice / Hidden Power Fire
- Trick

I understand what you mean, but doing as you say I lose speed revenging. Even if Gothitelle is there, Scarf Gothitelle isn't as fast as I hoped for it to be, not to mention it didn't kill when I needed it to kill. Sacrificing Latios for Latias to me wasn't a great idea. YES it did better than Latios at handling Keldeo, but it didn't provide me the sheer fast damage that Latios provided. I'm not saying your suggestion was bad, but I felt I lost the sheer special attack force, not as much balanced walling came from it, and it lost a lot of needed speed. Thank you for your suggestion anyways. For now I'm using this team

Terrakion @ Choice Band
Trait: Justified
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- X-Scissor

A very good Physical Wall-Breaker! Nothing changed.

Latios (M) @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Surf
- Hidden Power [Fire]

A switch to Timid lost Draco Power, but it really helped me outspeed Timid scarfs and taking them out before they get to revenge kill.

Skarmory (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 Atk
Impish Nature
- Spikes
- Roost
- Drill Peck
- Whirlwind

I decided not to change the EV's for maximum physical walling, which is what Skarmory is good at :) I understand about investing in special, but the fact is Skarmory isn't here to handle special attacks.

Blissey (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 SDef / 252 HP / 4 Def
Calm Nature
- Seismic Toss
- Thunder Wave
- Wish
- Protect

It might not sound smart not giving any Defense EV's to Blissey, but almost like Skarmory's case it isn't made to take Physical Attacks from the start, creating no point in shaving HP. HP is there for better Special Walling, otherwise using Chansey sounds smarter, not to mention better Wish Healing. Aside from that the move changes really helped Blissey do a better job at fending off itself and crippling speedy enemies that did not resist.

Landorus (Landorus-Therian) (M) @ Rocky Helmet
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 200 HP / 244 Def / 64 Atk
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- U-turn

I just don't know how much to thank the guy for suggesting this, but I found Landorus a great solution to the many fighters out there with this set, plus it takes out Iron Head Jirachi's with no problem. U-turn came in handy bluffing a scarf when the enemy didn't attack and switch. (Like Jirachi tried Thunder Wave, but it didn't work and ran) The bluff worked and scared Espeon users so I was able to get rocks up :)

Jellicent (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Water Absorb
EVs: 200 SDef / 248 HP / 60 Def
Calm Nature
- Night Shade
- Scald
- Recover
- Will-O-Wisp

Perfect solution to a ton of threats with priority because of Will-O-Wisp, it stops Keldeo, and even Lucario users who forgot to pack Crunch after summoning the excalibur (in other words Lucario used Swords Dance)

I know I still lack rapid spin and priority moves, but if there are any other suggestions out there it would be very nice if you leave a reply below :)

May I suggest putting quick attack on that terrakion, instead of x-scissor. Quick attack is good for priority, and is great for stopping sweepers who are on low health, i.e. cloyster with the defense drops after shell smash (if they don't have the white herb, of course). X-scissor may be useful, but only against psychic types. And stone edge does only 10 less damage after STAB if you are facing a psychic type weak to x-scissor. Just go for stone edge instead of x-scissor if you are predicting the opponent to switch into a psychic type. It, if the opponent doesn't resist stone edge, will more than likely 2HKO just because of your sheer power. After all, the rest of your team doesn't have priority, so quick attack might be your only option of stopping really fast sweepers in their tracks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)