Pokémon XY General Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't know if we haven't backtracked enough but have the new common mons already been mentioned? There are new fanpics spawning in Pixiv and there has been updates on the official pages. Just check them out on http://www.pokemonxy.com

We apparently get a mount in Pokemon. That Gogoat can be ridden.
we've only been discussing that for pages upon pages, yes

Uh, I'm pretty sure parting shot doesn't do any damage. In the video, as soon as the move was used, it lowered stats without showing any signs of the opposing Pokemon flinching. Usually, if a move does any damage, the damage comes before the stat lowering, so unless they're changing that mechanic, it's safe to assume that parting shot doesn't do any damage. I think it's a fairly balanced move that promotes stall. Parting shot would kill offensive teams if used right.
Looking at the video, it does seem likely that it doesn't do any damage, which leaves me a little less worried about how overpowered it sounds. But if it doesn't do any damage, then what would happen if a Pokemon with Prankster learned it? I'd imagine that it could be incredibly useful, perhaps even to the point of being overpowered. If any currently existing Prankster were to get Parting Shot, I think Sableye would be the most likely suspect (or Riolu, if LC is taken into account.) Fighting seems to be the most likely type for this move, and most other Pranksters are flying, so it seems unlikely that they'd get it. Besides, this kind of trickery seems to be right up Sableye's alley, and could be a useful tool to somehow make him even more annoying that he already is.

But even without Prankster, Parting shot could be a threat. It's hard to know what kind of distribution it will get, but I think that Mienshao would be a perfect fit for this move. If it is indeed fighting, he stands a decent chance to get it, and it fits well with his hit-and-run strategy. In the current metagame, he commonly runs U-turn, abusing his high speed and Regenerator to maintain momentum while maintaining his own health. With this new toy, he might be able to disrupt opponents even more effectively.

The other move that caught my eye was Parabolic Charge, an electric type clone of Drain Punch. Drain punch is mostly found on slow, bulky Pokemon like Conkeldurr, in conjunction with Bulk Up. Electric types usually call to mind fast, frail special attackers, so it seems unlikely that this move will see much competitive use. The best hope for this move, in my opinion, would be Eelektross, who could run a set with Coil and Parabolic Charge, similar to Conkeldurr's Bulk Up and Drain Punch. Unfortunately, it is held back by its movepool, which is incapable of capitalizing on Coil's accuracy boost, as well as its lackluster stats. Free healing is a notable step up from Wild Charge's recoil, but I doubt it will let him take OU by storm. Electivire is probably the only other potential user worth mentioning, as he is the only Electric-type with a usable Attack stat outside of ubers and NU.

Of course, as with everything else to be said about X and Y, this is really just baseless speculation. Until the games are released, and a proper metagame is established, nothing can be said for sure.

Honestly, I could see Mr Panda getting Prankster and he's obviously getting Parting Remark. But I could actually see it being more useful on a slow, bulky Pokemon. It would be perfect for setting up set up sweepers.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Parting Shot sounds powerful, but there would be ways around it. Contrary Serperior, if ever released, would enjoy the boost. Metagross would be immune, though the opponent would still be able to get the switch and select the appropriate counter.

Though, that being said, we're looking at a generation shift here. Newly released moves and 'mons might look totally OP here, because we tend to look at each and every move and imagine how it would work if inserted into the current metagame. With a new generation, some playstyles, moves and 'mons would be outdated, while others become huge threats. It's impossible to tell what impact a certain move will have on the metagame before we have an actual metagame for it to impact on.

But either way, it will be exciting. I look forward to it, whatever happens.

The link isn't working for me for some reason. Would you mind summarizing what you're talking about?

Was just processing the Pokédex art and I saw this. Beneath Zigzagoon is a Pokémon I don't recognise. As it seems to be the same selection screen sprites since 2002 for this, I did a quick search and saw nothing that matched.

Any ideas?

Pancham does have a mischievous look about him. Getting Prankster definitely seems like a possibility. And putting it on a slower, bulkier Pokemon would definitely have its advantages. If used correctly, you could get in an undamaged set-up sweeper against an opponent who has no choice but to switch. In some cases, a free turn to set up is all it takes to turn a match around.

I completely agree that there really is no way to predict what kind of impact this will have on a metagame that we know so little about. And that's exactly what makes it exciting. I think this move stands a chance to impact the metagame, or at least hope that it does. It seemed to me like 5th gen introduced very few new and exciting moves, so I am glad to see that Game Freak might just have a few original ideas left.

Look like Mareep to anyone else?

Edit: Cuz I'm pretty sure that's Mareep.

It doesn't resemble Mareep at all
the thing on the pokdex has its tail very close to it, and the color scheme doesnt' really match

Also what you can make out of the body doesn't look like mareep's wool

It doesn't resemble Mareep at all
the thing on the pokdex has its tail very close to it, and the color scheme doesnt' really match

Also what you can make out of the body doesn't look like mareep's wool
It looks kinda green and red...and a bit like a plant. Maybe Maractus?

Parting Shot sounds powerful, but there would be ways around it. Contrary Serperior, if ever released, would enjoy the boost. Metagross would be immune, though the opponent would still be able to get the switch and select the appropriate counter.

Though, that being said, we're looking at a generation shift here. Newly released moves and 'mons might look totally OP here, because we tend to look at each and every move and imagine how it would work if inserted into the current metagame. With a new generation, some playstyles, moves and 'mons would be outdated, while others become huge threats. It's impossible to tell what impact a certain move will have on the metagame before we have an actual metagame for it to impact on.

But either way, it will be exciting. I look forward to it, whatever happens.
Don't U-turn and Volt Switch fail to switch out the mon if the attack doesn't hit? I would assume Parting Shot works the same way. If it's a fighting type move, then you can't use it on Ghosts, or any Pokemon who is immune to stat changes.

I'm not sure how much Parabola Charge has been discussed yet, but I am really curious about it. I hope it's a physical attack (though it looks like it's special. Electrics need a good physical move.

Also, it seems likely that it hits all other Pokemon if you're in the middle. This would be an amazing move in doubles and triples. Not only could you do serious damage to water teams (depending on BP), but it could also be a great way to boost your own allies if the have one of the electricity absorbing abilities.

Interesting. It definitely seems like part of a new pokemon. My guess would be an early grass type. Also, it seems we can get zigzagoon early. That's cool. I'm guessing they're early in the game because they're near fletchling and fennekin, and not very many slots are filled out.

So one thing I kind of liked, in retrospect, was seeing the difference between early images and later images. The new set of images & the old trailer don't have a lot in common, but there's some neat differences I think
announcement trailer on the left, recent update on the right

Looks like our starting mirror room got an overhaul (the girl's is all pink)

This might be from a different lane of the city, but even if it is you can kind of tell that the area is brighter and full of more life and such than before.

And even the same forest battle field we've seen a million times has gotten some slight changes to it. A few more trees, and it looks like a bunch of grass

and hey we actually saw more fields this time around

and even in the forest I think this might be a trainer battle judging by the difference in the circle

I also feel like the graphics in general might have been smoothed out a bit, but that could be an illusion due to the trailer quality and size

What I don't understand is why Serebii's mentioned that they're the "same sprites since 2002." It's not, it's actually much more detailed. For reference, this is the current Zigzagoon icon:

It's eyes are less visible and it's color scheme is slightly different from the one in the image. I reckon the 'new' Pokemon in question is just an existing one with slight alterations to its icon, since Serebii mentions that it doesn't match any current ones.

What I don't understand is why Serebii's mentioned that they're the "same sprites since 2002." It's not, it's actually much more detailed. For reference, this is the current Zigzagoon icon:

It's eyes are less visible and it's color scheme is slightly different from the one in the image. I reckon the 'new' Pokemon in question is just an existing one with slight alterations to its icon, since Serebii mentions that it doesn't match any current ones.
Maybe I'm blind but that icon looks exactly like the one shown in the pokedex image except not as blue

So, if the Pokebeach rumors prove true. Then other than Fairies, we'll also be getting dual typed moves. How would that work? What moves would be dual typed?

In regards to the Fairy type in general, I can see Fairy pokemon carrying Ghost and Dark attacks. Mainly because they tend to be portrayed as tricksters, if not down right evil. I really hope we see a Dark/Fairy type pop up.

Ugh I think the Fairy-type would be totally fine, but dual-typed moves? >:( It just seems as if it would massacre any sort of defensive Pokemon. A Ferrothorn or Jellicent? Don't worry, I have 8 different attacking types to hit it with... Other than that, I really love all the new additions. gogoat!!!

I am now drawing a blank as to why I assumed that Parabolic Charge was a physical attack. Looking back at the video, it looks like it's probably a special attack. Maybe the word "Charge" reminded me of Wild Charge?

If it is special, then it stands a much better chance of being used competitively. Rotom-W would love a recovery move more reliable than Pain-Split, as well as an electric attack that allows him to stay in. Raikou has the distinction of being the only electric Pokemon to learn Calm Mind. And while Zapdos doesn't need a recovery move as badly as Rotom-W, it still might pack Parabolic Charge to keep itself healthy while attacking.

Parabolic Charge might not have a profound impact on the metagame, but it could be a boon Pokemon who can use it effectively.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 16)