Pokémon XY General Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
R_N and I have been pretty lenient over the last couple days, but please remember that this forum is not the place for competitive discussion regarding bans and tiering.

so it is forme change?
See, form changing usually indicates stat reorganization, but evolution denotes a BST increase. My inner fanboy says that MEvo will give the Pokémon a small stat boost (say, 20 extra stat points) and a more specialized stat spread.
Because...you know...it'd be great to have during gym battles and fights with the mafia boss for those days that you have yet to collect a Choice Scarf or a Life Orb.

Last edited:
I'm going to be honest: I hated Mega Pokemon at first. I thought the designs were trashy and over-complicated. I thought they'd destroy the meta. I thought it was the worst instance of power-creep. Now, however, I've grown to the idea.

I've noticed a trend in Gen VI designs, one not wholly surprising and probably necessary: a lot tend to look disproportionate or silly in their artwork compared to in-game footage. When rendered in 3D, in motion, many of the designs come to life and some odd proportioning makes sense. I saw this with Fennekin, Noivern, Malamar; now I see it in most of the Megas. I think it especially helps the Megas because their rather complex designs tend to draw the eye to multiple foci when in a static form, but when their designs are flowing, in-motion, with a changing camera it tends to bring less focus to specific areas. I think it's a good thing, and made me like the idea considerably more.

Aside from designs, I was worried these Mega Pokemon would be simply overpowering. To share a quote from the official site about Mega Mewtwo, "It will probably be unstoppable!" I mean, we got a bunch of Pokemon whose stats will increase, some had good added typings, and most had an incredibly potent ability added (and Mewtwo-M got Insomnia :I). I was worried they'd become the focus of the entire metagame!

But then the Mega Stones were revealed. These allayed pretty much every fear I might have had about these Pokemon. Yeah, they're powerful, but they have to forgo held items to use these formes, which could be crippling. They might have powerful abilities and higher attacking stats but if they can't use Choice Band or Life Orb most lose offensive potency; the Mega Pokemon who subverts this the best is Mega Lucario who's confirmed to have an increase in Attack and Adaptibility, which makes up for item-based power but only on its STABs. I feel like, more than anything, they become an interesting alternative to the normal Pokemon that has simple, bland power to make up for other versatility they might otherwise happen.

I'd assume they give an actual stat boost, since just an ability change and type change, with stat redistribution, might not be enough to make up for the lack of an item. It wouldn't be the first time a forme change actually boosted stats: Rotom's BST is 440 but Rotom-A's is 520; Darmanitan has 480 and Darmanitan-Z has 540; and we all know Kyurem's jump from 660 to 700. Maybe they'd just shuffle around stats (I actually do think that's what they'd do in Mewtwo's case) but I'd rather see a couple of stat boosts here and there for them; some like Absol and Mawile virtually require boosts rather than redistributions to be viable.

Other note: Ampharos-M, with its typing and ability, I think might be trying too hard to be Zekrom.

Ampharos can be special Zekrom instead of physical.

I seriously doubt mega-pokes will be OP even if they automatically transform in battle without waiting a turn or anything. You have two opportunity costs confirmed: item use and making a different Pokemon mega instead. So for example in order to use MegaLucario, you give up on using LO and have to use regular Absol(or whatever is on the team) instead of mega.

Finally, I don't think they will be underwhelming either just because you lose an item. Megastones could very well be the only way to boost speed with an item outside of Quick Claw and Choice Scarf. You also get a different ability/typing in some cases which will carve niches out for team synergy/utility. Finally with a likely stat increase+redistribution, Megamons will probably have boosts to power that will rival item boosts and not be situational(expert belt) or have a drawback(life orb).
I also think it has been fairly consistent that evolutions get higher base HP, so I expect this to be the case even on mons with lowered defenses.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I don't think so. Why would he call it a forme of Mewtwo if it is a Mew that transform into a Mega Mew? It would make more sense to call it a new forme of Mew.
Yeah, fair point. Perhaps there already existed rumours of two new Mewtwo formes, and he was hit by confirmation bias (meaning he got to know very little, saw no text and assumed "yeah, that must be this one" before posting). Perhaps he didn't think it looked enough like Mew to be a Mew forme, instead assuming it to be a "half Mewtwo, half Mew", a failed attempt to make Mewtwo or something like that (counting as Mewtwo in the 'dex beause it would be an attempt at cloning Mew, not Mew itself). Perhaps I'm wrong, and there is two new Mewtwo formes. I can only guess.

With Mega Evolution, I think a new Tier is needed, as some of these Pokemon could potentially sweep Uber Teams
Assuming ubers don't get megas as well.

So if mega forms don't last the entire battle, defensive megaforms will be rather silly as you can't switch a defensive mega into an attack. (Unless the attack triggers the mega before damage?)

I seriously doubt mega-pokes will be OP even if they automatically transform in battle without waiting a turn or anything. You have two opportunity costs confirmed: item use and making a different Pokemon mega instead. So for example in order to use MegaLucario, you give up on using LO and have to use regular Absol(or whatever is on the team) instead of mega.
Well, MegaLucario doesn't have the 'losing an item' issue that much as Adaptability may let it deal more damage with its STABs than as Choice Band Lucario

252+ Atk Choice Band Lucario Close Combat vs. 224 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 163-193 (49.84 - 59.02%)
252+ Atk Adaptability Lucario Close Combat vs. 224 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 146-172 (44.64 - 52.59%)
252+ Atk Life Orb Lucario Close Combat vs. 224 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 142-168 (43.42 - 51.37%)

Adaptability alone lets Lucario hit harder with its STABs than Life Orb, so MegaLucario will probably hit even harder than with a Choice Band

Assuming ubers don't get megas as well.

So if mega forms don't last the entire battle, defensive megaforms will be rather silly as you can't switch a defensive mega into an attack. (Unless the attack triggers the mega before damage?)
That would be a pretty bad assumption considering we already know Mewtwo has one.

Here's a scary thought:
If MegaMawile keeps the same Attack stat, after Huge Power it will have 590 Attack.
Normal Absol's Attack stat after STAB is factored in is 591.
MegaMawile's Sucker Punch is basically the equivalent of current gen Absol's. (Assuming MegaMawile doesn't get an increase Attack as well)

And again, this thing has Swords Dance, folks. (Take that, Azumarril) It has more raw power than Kyurem-B and it has a base 80 Priority move.
If this thing gets a Sub up, that's a wrap; it's over for you. Fairy/Dark coverage has like one Pokemon that resist it: Heatran. I've sat here for a minute trying to thing of something else but all combinations of Psychic-typing are hit at least neutrally by Dark. Fairy hits Dark & Fighting Super Effectively leaving only Steel as a possible combination with Fire to resist Dark. I think Heatran is literally the only Pokemon that resists the combination.

I'm just imagining a set of:
Mawile @ Mawilenite
Trait: Intimidate (Huge Power)
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Substitute
- Draining Kiss (Fairy STAB placeholder)
- Sucker Punch
- Swords Dance / Magnet Rise

You can't Toxic it with T-Spikes and it's immune to Sandstorm, so the most a stall-ish Pokemon could do is burn it but, if Mawile Swords Dances once, you're still dealing with a Pokemon with 590 Attack even after burn halves its Attack. And that's all assuming that MegaMawile doesn't get a boost to its Base Attack on top of Huge Power. This thing would gladly switch-in on Ferrothorn or Forretress and just throw up a Sub for free and start ruining your world.

MegaLucario's Adaptability may be hella scary, but it only effects its STABs. I mean, Honedge doesn't give a damn about MegaLucario unless the boost to its Base Attack is enough to make up for the lack of Life Orb, which I REALLY doubt will happen since Life Orb brings Lucario's Attack stat from 350 max to 455 max. I would see them increasing Lucario's Attack to either match its SpAtk at Base 115 or bring it up by 10 points to Base 120. Bullet Punch is the only scary thing about Adaptability to me. Lucario will still have 4-moveslot syndrome so, it may be threatening but it'll probably be manageable. Altho, they clearly are trying to kill stall, like, wow will Lucario run through Stall now. At least Nidoqueen can stop him I guess.

MegaBlaziken is the only one I think will still be broken. That is still a crazy-good Pokemon even without Mega Evolution.

MegaAmpharos just confuses me. I really hope they changed Ampharos to Dragon-type as well because the only Dragon Attack Ampharos gets is Outrage via tutor so it doesn't get Draco Meteor or even Dragon Pulse which is crazy to me. Dragon is a great defensive typing since it resists Fire, Water, and Grass but for MegaAmpharos, it would be a solely defensive-typing. Kinda lame, honestly.

I'm hyped and afraid but at least I'm not confused anymore...well aside from Ampharos.
Where are you getting your info on Fairy-type. Nothing but supereffective against dragon has been confirmed

I actually think (with this renovation of the ev system) that pokemon will no longer give ev's. As in experience is still earned, but the ev's are not. Basically they strip the "ev's gained" from the pokemon. So for instance Bascullin still gives you experince, but not the 2 speed ev's.

If you think about it, it doesn't make sense for pokemon to give EVs, if there is the menu showing what your "Kiso"(EVs) points are only at the super training facility. People would be annoyed/find inconvinient if EVs increase in trainer/wild battles and they find to their surprise in the super training facility that they maxed evs in the wrong places, as you can only view evs in the super training facility.

Only the super training mini games, I feel will give evs, not pokemon.

I feel EVs completely ruin the fun of having the journey from starter to E4. I hate how you are forced to face pokemon that give you evs in stats that you don't need in-game. Abra forced to face machop as an example, by a trainer battle that cannot be avoided.

I always liked gold and silver's sytem because evs weren't the way they are now. SO forced battles of abra and machop doesn't solely increase attack, it increases all the stats proportional to machops base stats.

In BW/BW2 I have to carefully choose which pokemon to face who, so they get evs in the right places. I would love it if evs were not gained by battle but only super training. Now you don't have to be so picky with pokemon match ups.
You could just go through and EV train a second team after you defeat the Elite Four

Where are you getting your info on Fairy-type. Nothing but supereffective against dragon has been confirmed
A while back, a rumor was posted on Pokebeach that supposedly leaked a large portion of the game, including fairy-type match ups. Quite a bit of the leak turned out to be true, so now most people assume that the leak is entirely true.

The english website hasn't updated with them because the japanese site hasn't updated with them.
I suspect that once CoroCoro releases for real on Monday, all the sites will update with the other 3 megas, but orotto is really up in the air since it was never even in CoroCoro to begin with.

We have the entire XY portion of CoroCoro. If anything remains in the Pokemon section, it's probably just anime stuff.
No, oorotto is not up in the air. There were trailers on Serebii where it appeared

Personally, I am a fan for the Super Sayain evolutions. If you're gonna compare MegaEvos to something it may as well be to DBZ not Digimon as it's only in battle.

However I do wonder how it'll work. I mean, if it's like a berry and only works once during a match it won't be that helpful unless being held back for a sweep. If it's fully permanent we may see a "Mega Stone clause" like the old Soul Dew clause. If there are say 30+ Mega's we may ban them from OU for simplicity sake if Megas are too centralizing. However if it's only say 10 we could ban stuff like MegaBlaze as normal Blaziken is Uber anyway.

I would love to see all the starters get Megas. I think that would be awesome to see. Fire/Dragon MegaZard, MegaTyphlosion with 150 Sp. Atk and 130 Spd with Eruption? Yes please.

Next month I am looking forward to seeing the new Type Chart with Fairy there. Will be good to finally know what types may be buffed.

Assuming XY runs similar to most Gens we should see Dedenne, Bunnelby/Litleo, Scatterbug and Fletchling all before the 2nd gym. I'm not sure if Bunnelby or Litleo will be the early normal type.

Needless to say, I'm pumped for XY!
Digivolutions were also only mostly in battle, and could be switched between

Another confirmed Mega-voloution. Parental Bond as its new ability.

More from Serebii: "With the official Japanese site update, a small note came out regarding further clarification on the Mega Evolutions. Within this site, it details that with Mega Evolutions, you can only have one Mega Evolution Pokémon in battle. It's not known whether it's talking about all of the battle, or just within your team. ...
... It has the ability Parental Bond that allows its attacks to hit twice. "

Last edited:
Hmm... perhaps I ought to go on holidays without Internet connection more often, as that seems to trigger CoroCoro leaks. Reading twenty-six new pages of what was a pretty quiet thread when I left is always a fun experience.

I must admit, Mega Evolutions were not a pleasant surprise. I especially dislike the use of the word "Evolution", and wished that the marketing department had used another word instead. But hey, nothing to do about it now. I don't particularly like it, but fact is that Mega Evolution, in concept as well as wording, is part of the Pokémon franchise now. Might as well accept that.
Yes, the Mega Evolutions do look over-designed. The old "rule of thumb" of Pokémon designs, that the design uses two colours plus black and/or white, seems to be trashed. Smooth lines and large, patternless surfaces also seem to be things of the past. At first glance, they also look overpowered. However, I think GameFreak will have a few aces up their sleeves preventing competitive battling from being centered around Megas.

Specifically, the "only one Mega Evolution per battle" thing, combined with the statement that other criteria than item holding have to be met in order to unleash the Mega Evolution. Perhaps you have to just have lost a Pokémon for the Mega Evolution to happen (like the boost criteria of the move Retaliate). Perhaps your team has to be "losing" (you have fewer useable Pokémon left than the opponent). I see a Mega evolved Pokémon more as a last ditch trump card, than an universally applicable strategy you can spam to win easily.

As for why they chose to reveal the Mega Evolutions they did... I think that was a carefully calculated move: Mewtwo is a poster child of Generation I. Those of us who played Gen. I definitely remember Mewtwo. Ampharos was a staple on Gen. II teams. Blaziken is very popular, the word of mouth would spread a lot quicker than if they had chosen Swampert or Sceptile instead (both of which I believe will get Mega Evolutions - through events, that is). Absol and Mawile both have a big fan following, and also signals that "no, we haven't forgot the unpopular ones". They are pretty obscure in the large picture, but were given attention along with the rest. It sends a message that not only fan favourites will be upgraded, we will be thrown curveballs as well.

By the way, the leak commonly referred to as "the Pokebeach rumour" mentioned TWO new formes for Mewtwo, the one we have not been shown was said to look more like Mew. I had a hard time believing this at first, but I think now that it's true, it's just that the leaker has assumed wrong: What he thought was a second Mewtwo forme might actually be Mega Mew.

Also, I agree with R_N, Sylveon is probably the only new 'mon related to old ones through normal evolution. GameFreak got a lot of flak for "messing with old designs" back in Gen. IV, and they might have taken that to heart. Mega Evolutions would be their new way of giving new relevance to old Pokémon, which might mean that we've seen the last cross-generational evolution in Sylveon, at least for some time to come. Here's hoping they will still remember the oft-requested ones such as Farfetch'd or Dunsparce.

Last, power creep. We all know it was bound to happen, it happens every generation. Though, I have enough confidence in GameFreak to believe they will spread the 'creep evenly, such that while Pokémon on average will be a bit stronger than before, their strength in relation to each other will be unaffected on a statistical level. Every generation, most Pokémon have been given tools that would have pushed them up a tier or two in the previous metagame. Yet Pokémon are still roughly as evenly distributed between the tiers as before, because the average power level rose as much as the individual power level. I wouldn't fear MegaBeedrill or MegaBeautifly and the rest of the NU losers sweeping OU any time soon, because their power level will still be lower than that of MegaQwilfish and MegaSlowking and other stuff in the new RU tier.
I doubt they will be done with cross-generational until Eevee evolves into every type

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)