Pokémon XY General Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Death Phenomeno

I'm polite so just for clarity, when I'm cross I
is a Contributor Alumnus
MegaAmpharos/L'Oréal
Oh fuck I'm still laughing at that.

Anyway, I wonder how are they going to handle the whole "only 1 Mega Evolution" per party per battle. With what we currently know, let's look at the options:

• Only the first Mega Stone will activate in a battle; if your team has any more, they would be effectively useless.
  • There's a secondary in-battle condition (for example, a Super bar) that can only be fulfilled once. After that, any other Mega Stones on your team would be rendered inert.
  • Mega Stones, as a whole, are considered the same item and now Item Clause will be mandatory.
  • If Mega Evolutions take turn(s) to activate, after the previous user has fainted the next user must wait some more.
  • A Mega Stone only activates if the holder is the last conscious Pokémon of the team.
Maybe Pokémon with hindering abilities will end up getting this. Can anyone imagine MegaRegigigas? How tall would that thing be? /sarcasm

I wonder how will MegaKangaskhan will handle damage. Will she get 2 lifebars? Will she split her HP with the baby? Will the opponent be able to choose its target? The only thing that is certain is that she won't throw the baby at her opponents face. Which is a shame.

Reactions: SSJ
Oh fuck I'm still laughing at that.

Anyway, I wonder how are they going to handle the whole "only 1 Mega Evolution" per party per battle. With what we currently know, let's look at the options:

• Only the first Mega Stone will activate in a battle; if your team has any more, they would be effectively useless.
  • There's a secondary in-battle condition (for example, a Super bar) that can only be fulfilled once. After that, any other Mega Stones on your team would be rendered inert.
  • Mega Stones, as a whole, are considered the same item and now Item Clause will be mandatory.
  • If Mega Evolutions take turn(s) to activate, after the previous user has fainted the next user must wait some more.
  • A Mega Stone only activates if the holder is the last conscious Pokémon of the team.
Maybe Pokémon with hindering abilities will end up getting this. Can anyone imagine MegaRegigigas? How tall would that thing be? /sarcasm

I wonder how will MegaKangaskhan will handle damage. Will she get 2 lifebars? Will she split her HP with the baby? Will the opponent be able to choose its target? The only thing that is certain is that she won't throw the baby at her opponents face. Which is a shame.
Another possibility is with the Tower of Mystery. Perhaps you are only able to have one stone total on your person at any time, like maybe having to go back to the Tower of Mystery to swap stones.

It kinda makes sense, as perhaps you have to bring the Pokemon from the event to the Tower to unlock the item, like for Torchic. Other Pokemon you could simply bring there, therefore making it so you don't have to carry 10+ stones at any one time.

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
MegaKangaskhan does not become two separate Pokemon with two separate HP bars, it just mega evolves into one Pokemon that can attack twice (think a two hit Icicle Spear or something).

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
OMG... Mega Evolutions...

THIS THING HAS TO GET ONE:

In my mind, there is no question that Pidgeot is the most visually bad-ass bird in the game. Fuck emo-bird. Pidgeot is classic, and magnificent. If you think there's any bird poke that looks more bad ass than Pidgeot, you're wrong.

The only problem is that it's SO DAMN WEAK-- and unlike Farfetch'd, Pidgeot here is a 3rd stage; there IS no other way to fix it other than a Mega Evo... If they don't give Pidgeot a mega evo, I will lose all faith in GF's design team. lol

My dream for a Pidgeot mega-evo:

Type: Normal / Flying
Ability: Sheer Force
HP: 83 (I doubt this'll change in these evos)
ATK: 72
DEF: 115
Sp.A: 105
Sp.D: 105
SPE: 120

Pidgeot Mega Evo
Sheer Force
@Mega-Evo-Item-with a 20% boost to Flying moves
4HP / 252 SpA / 252 SPE
-Hurricane
-Heat Wave
-Roost
-Tail Wind / Air Slash

Fuck Tornadus

Last edited:
OMG... Mega Evolutions...

My dream for a Pidgeot mega-evo:

Type: Normal / Flying
Ability: Sheer Force
HP: 83 (I doubt this'll change in these evos)
ATK: 72
DEF: 115
Sp.A: 105
Sp.D: 105
SPE: 120

Pidgeot Mega Evo
Sheer Force
@Life Orb
Timid
4HP / 252 SpA / 252 SPE
-Hurricane
-Heat Wave
-Roost
-Tail Wind

Fuck Tornadus

You seem to be forgetting that Mega Stone needs to be held, so no life orb for u. ANd Pidgeot is an early-game bird evo, he isn't meant to be god tier. He may get a mega evo, but then it would be outclassed by other, stronger mega evos. So meh.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Oh yeah forgot about that. Hopefully his mega-item will just give his Flying STAB a boost-- that would be enough.

Not saying it has to be "god tier" but it should at least be competitively viable. Fuck, freakin' emo-bird is competitively viable even without a mega evo.

Oh yeah forgot about that. Hopefully his mega-item will just give his Flying STAB a boost-- that would be enough.

Not saying it has to be "god tier" but it should at least be competitively viable. Fuck, freakin' emo-bird is competitively viable even without a mega evo.
who is this emo bird you speak of

staraptor?

Katakiri

Listen, Brendan...
is a Researcher Alumnus
I just realized that MegaKangaskhan has to choose between Sing and Circle Throw since Sing is Gen 3 and Circle Throw is Gen 5 Bred. Having access to a sleep move with decent accuracy (thanks to Parental Bond) is really nice but being able to shuffle that sleeping Pokemon out with Parental Bond Circle Throw would have been fantastic. Sing variants will at least get that double recovery from Drain Punch and will still have access to Sucker Punch so it's not a crippling loss.

Actually, every mon can be fixed without Mega-evo, even things like Pidgeot. Hell, probably every fully evolved Pokémon from PU could be fixed.

Possibilities:
- Retcon typing (adding Fairy, for example): Bad Pokémon could get a better typing, though restricting to only adding Fairy-type to some Pokémon is sufficient.

- Intrinsic Abilities (Gameplay mechanic change, and thiswas what I hoped for when they talked about the "scoop of the century"): These could add a plethora of resistances to now-low tier Pokémon without interfering with their normal Ability.
Imagine Overcoat, Thick Fat and Levitate becoming intrinsic (for example Ice Body + Levitate Glalie). Or Overcoat giving resistances to Ice, Water and Flying. This gives far more flexibility than silly Mega evo's or even retconning typings since more Intrinsic abilities could appear, or they could even stack up and give 9-10 resistances to certain Pokémon alongside their current typing, giving now NU Pokémon a niche in OU.

- New abilities: Just give Pokémon that have pathetic abilities now in NU a better ability.
- Ability buffs: Pokémon that are designed with a bad ability, like Slaking, still have a NU placement and even in NU they aren't that threatening. But if Truant recovered health every resting turn? It would be much harder to deal with.

- Movepool size: Some Pokémon need more movepool additions than others. Some are obvious (why Escavalier didn't get Wild Charge is beyond me), and for some Pokémon new moves need to be designed - even if only carbon copies of already existing moves (just with a different type). Coverage is coverage.

- Move buffs/Nerfs: Some moves affect the entire meta, these could be nerfed directly (Lookin' at you, Stealth Rock) - or indirectly (Evasion boosting moves could be nerfed with more and more powerful moves that never miss, as well as retconning Roar and Whirlwind to never miss).

- Pokémon-specific items: If all else fails, this is something to be used. Megamons probably function already a lot like this, but do they really need a new fancy look and a really stupid name? (Mega-*insert Pokémon name here* What the hell). These items should not always only boost a stat (like Thick Club or Light Ball), but could for example also act like Light Clay and Leftovers in one (Things like Ledian would like it).

With these tools - which were already used before outside of Intrinsic abilities - was there REALLY need for Digimons Megamons? The answer is no.

Also, oddly, I doubt the Megamons marketability. Neither of them look truly marketable to me compared with their original forms if you ask me, and I have the feeling most will only appeal to boys aged between six and nine... which isn't a good idea considering how big Pokémon's target audience and fanbase is.

Last edited:
Reactions: SMZ
Actually, every mon can be fixed without Mega-evo, even things like Pidgeot. Hell, probably every fully evolved Pokémon from PU could be fixed.

Possibilities:
- Retcon typing (adding Fairy, for example): Bad Pokémon could get a better typing, though restricting to only adding Fairy-type to some Pokémon is sufficient.

- Intrinsic Abilities (Gameplay mechanic change, and thiswas what I hoped for when they talked about the "scoop of the century"): These could add a plethora of resistances to now-low tier Pokémon without interfering with their normal Ability.
Imagine Overcoat, Thick Fat and Levitate becoming intrinsic (for example Ice Body + Levitate Glalie). Or Overcoat giving resistances to Ice, Water and Flying. This gives far more flexibility than silly Mega evo's or even retconning typings since more Intrinsic abilities could appear, or they could even stack up and give 9-10 resistances to certain Pokémon alongside their current typing, giving now NU Pokémon a niche in OU.

- New abilities: Just give Pokémon that have pathetic abilities now in NU a better ability.
- Ability buffs: Pokémon that are designed with a bad ability, like Slaking, still have a NU placement and even in NU they aren't that threatening. But if Truant recovered health every resting turn? It would be much harder to deal with.

- Movepool size: Some Pokémon need more movepool additions than others. Some are obvious (why Escavalier didn't get Wild Charge is beyond me), and for some Pokémon new moves need to be designed - even if only carbon copies of already existing moves (just with a different type). Coverage is coverage.

- Move buffs/Nerfs: Some moves affect the entire meta, these could be nerfed directly (Lookin' at you, Stealth Rock) - or indirectly (Evasion boosting moves could be nerfed with more and more powerful moves that never miss, as well as retconning Roar and Whirlwind to never miss).

- Pokémon-specific items: If all else fails, this is something to be used. Megamons probably function already a lot like this, but do they really need a new fancy look and a really stupid name? (Mega-*insert Pokémon name here* What the hell). These items should not always only boost a stat (like Thick Club or Light Ball), but could for example also act like Light Clay and Leftovers in one (Things like Ledian would like it).

With these tools - which were already used before outside of Intrinsic abilities - was there REALLY need for Digimons Megamons? The answer is no.

Also, oddly, I doubt the Megamons marketability. Neither of them look truly marketable to me compared with their original forms if you ask me, and I have the feeling most will only appeal to boys aged between six and nine... which isn't a good idea considering how big Pokémon's target audience and fanbase is.
A lot of this is or can be covered by Mega evolutions though, so ??????

I just realized that MegaKangaskhan has to choose between Sing and Circle Throw since Sing is Gen 3 and Circle Throw is Gen 5 Bred. Having access to a sleep move with decent accuracy (thanks to Parental Bond) is really nice but being able to shuffle that sleeping Pokemon out with Parental Bond Circle Throw would have been fantastic. Sing variants will at least get that double recovery from Drain Punch and will still have access to Sucker Punch so it's not a crippling loss.
Assuming we can transfer. I'm worried since we haven't heard any confirmation this is happening yet.
It's something... I'd only call it emo if it covered 1 eye, like absol, 3D art shows that it's dead center.
That's been Staraptor's nickname around here since the beginning.

Wait a minute... This fellow has devil locks, clearly reminiscent of Jerry Only. I think you've lost your way if you think horror punk is emo, lol!

Anyway, I really like DarkEspeon's application of Chao to Pokemon. I think that's probably the best solution to this unnecessary folly. They could even take notes from Ni no Kuni's treat system: feed your Pokemon certain foods (each Pokemon could have certain preferences), they get full, and you have to battle x number of Pokemon to make them hungry again. There are many possibilities to say the least.

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Once again I have to be the party pooper. Remember to limit discussion to currently announced mega evolutions and shy away from speculating about new ones.

So since the "Blazikenite" is not available during normal gameplay, and the 3DS hasn't been hacked yet, I guess the event Mega Stones are going to be a mystery until they're officially released. It's going to be a treat finding out there's a new Megavolution every once in a while after the games are released.

What's interesting is that the Mega Ampharos description on the main site mentions "changing your type in the middle of a battle can throw your opponent out of a loop etc."

That... sort of implies just holding the item doesn't instantly change the type.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 9)