Serious The Atheism/Agnosticism thread

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
This is honestly basically trolling/lying?
Blast, I've been found out. Abort mission!

Also I'm sure y'all are capable of being a little more respectful and pleasant to one another. Let's try not to let this become like every single other religion thread ever...

Last edited:
Blast, I've been found out. Abort mission!

Also I'm sure y'all are capable of being a little more respectful and pleasant to one another. Let's try not to let this become like every single other religion thread ever...
I really hope you're trolling, because this post was really well done.

I'm an atheist myself. I was brought up with a minimal amount of religion at home (it was almost never addressed at all), and actually took some Christian side-education when I was around 14 (I think it's called Confirmation in English too, right?). However, after learning (and thinking) more about religion, I decided that no, I don't believe in this. It's simply asking me to suspend my disbelief too much. Still, I stayed with the church choir as a technician for three years, learning yet more and still realizing that I didn't believe (though it's good to know what I don't believe in, at least). And, let it be said, Christianity has quite a few brilliant points about moral and ethics. It's not that I dismissed everything they stand for once I realized I didn't believe the core story.
One of the things that got me thinking was the religious view on other religions. I mean, if Christianity is true, that would mean Hinduism, Sikhism, Zoroastrianism and all the others are false, right? Logically speaking, and asking a few Christian friends, how could that be? The answers I got were eerily similar to what I had thought myself about Christianity: "They got it wrong somehow", "There's just one religion that everybody worships, a single god to answer all the prayers, but their interpretation is the false one", "Their religion is a construct by man", etc. They could easily see why other religions were false, citing a number of various reasons, but were quite adamant that the same logic could not be applied to their own religion (or the interpretation of the "one religion everybody worships"). It's like they were excempt from the criteria that falsified the other belief systems. When asked why, most said it came down to faith. Now, I don't doubt for a second that the Hindus, the Sikhs or for that matter the ancient Greeks or Vikings had any less faith in their religion that Christians have in theirs, so that argument didn't convince me. If the faith of some people is built on a "lie" and thus can be discarded, how could the faith of other people prove them right? Also considering that everything we know about the universe states it works perfectly without divine intervention, I decided to drop deities altogether and be an atheist.
How did society react? With a shrug, if anything. In Norway, about 70% of the population are members of the (former) state church, due to your automatic inclusion upon birth if both your parents were also members. Still, polls reveal that the number of people defining themself as Christians are below 35%, and falling (the exact question being "Do you believe Jesus was/is the son of God?"). Less than 2% of the population go to church more often than every other month, and even on Christmas Eve, the definite Church Day of them all, attendance is still in the vincinity of 10-15%. Most Norwegians are agnostics or atheists, and being explicitly Christian is, in most of the country, considered a lot weirder than being an atheist. The State Church was decoupled from the State a couple of years ago, now having a name nobody remembers (something to do with Lutheranism or something like that). Even my parents, when I told them, said "Atheist? OK, no big deal" and went on with whatever they were doing. I've got quite a few Christian friends, and quite a few atheist ones too, but in general, religion (or lack thereof) is regarded as "no big deal", something personal you shouldn't flaunt before others.
Cobraroll thanks for posting some of your life, and why you don't believe. (I'll tell you more about my experience of what lead me to the decision that there where no god(s) (Then I might go in on what lead me to Christ).
I don't know... I'd say it's hard to define what a religion is. For instance, I'd like to look at Shinto as an example. Shinto is basically, to put it simply-- evolved/developed Japanese nature worship. That said, almost all Japanese go through Shinto rites throughout their lives, without them having much significant impact on faith. Many Japanese Buddhists and Christians follow Shintoism without thinking much about it.
Part of this is because most Japanese care so little about Religion.
Part of this is because Shintoism has no "higher beings"; no capital "G" God. There are millions of "kami" in Shintoism, and "kami" is often translated as "gods", but it's more like "spirits"-- in that, be they nature spirits or deceased people, kami are falible and stuck on this same earth-- we co-exist, but there's no upper-lower relationship. Praying to a shinto kami isn't like asking God for salvation-- it's more like asking a neighbor if he'll let you borrow his lawn mower. And if he doesn't, you say "fuck you" and go ask a different neighbor (or in this case, tie your bad luck fortune paper to a tree and go to a different shrine to try again, lol).
To put this in perspective, a Christian who also followed Shinto rites doesn't see Shinto kami as gods-- but just other things on the earth, like people, animals, and other parts of nature; they to are just fallible creations of God that exist on the same plane as us. Well, that's why I'm Christian and don't give a crap about praying at a shrine anyway.
There are several scholars of Japanese culture, and many Japanese, who don't consider Shintoism a religion at all-- but perhaps just another innate part of Japanese culture; like the way they take their shoes off, or the way Americans eat peanut butter sandwhiches.
Even this non-religion makes people pissed though. For instance, Yasukuni Jinja is a shrine for dead soldiers-- amongst whom enshrined include some of the war criminals of WWII. It's funny because the Chinese/Koreans are pissed at this, thinking the Japanese there are worshipping war criminals. From a Shinto stand point though, you're not worshipping them or anything else. Shintoism doesn't exist to judge the good or bad, but only to help living people co-exist with spirits (from nature or deceased people). You don't enshrine a person to worship them, you enshrine them to put their soul at rest (so it doesn't cause trouble for the living).
Is Shintoism a religion? I wonder.
Both of these post are excellent. :)
Chou I'll mainly be replying to your post (to the best of knowledge. With this in mind remember I am just a man, and I do not have all the answers.)
Part of this is because Shintoism has no "higher beings"; no capital "G" God. There are millions of "kami" in Shintoism, and "kami" is often translated as "gods", but it's more like "spirits"-- in that, be they nature spirits or deceased people, kami are falible and stuck on this same earth-- we co-exist, but there's no upper-lower relationship. Praying to a shinto kami isn't like asking God for salvation-- it's more like asking a neighbor if he'll let you borrow his lawn mower. And if he doesn't, you say "fuck you" and go ask a different neighbor (or in this case, tie your bad luck fortune paper to a tree and go to a different shrine to try again, lol).
I think I'll start here. In Christianity and Catholicism there is one higher power. His name is Jesus or Lord God. I believe Lord God created the Heaven's (in Spanish this is sort of translation of Skies) and the Earth. He also made the Angels and Humans. God made humans and angels on the same level. We aren't higher than one another. One thing my mother does is she prays to the Saints. (It's a catholic thing.) I guess a saint could be like a spirit you pray to. They make candles with the saints on it. My question is why would you pray to a saint or spirit. As a christian I believe Jesus died for me. I don't have to do any rituals (like killing doves, or slaughtering lambs, and covering an altar in blood) to talk to my Father. I can go directly to my Father and ask Him for anything. "Modern" Christianity seems to be all about friendship and love. Jesus wants to be a friend of yours. He wants you to be intimate with him.
Take a listen to Jake Luhrs testimony. (It's only going to cost you 11 minutes.)
In the Bible refers to other gods, and idols, but when He is speaking or people are speaking about him He changes to the big "G." (This logic is "fallible" because there are some languages that do not have upper, and lower case. To really understand you have 1 of two things you can do. Learn Hebrew and the Hebrew way of thinking, or pray about it, and ask for understanding.)
--
As Americans we eat Cheese Burgers, and Cheese steaks.
As a Christian you only have to partake of "two rituals". You chose to partake in communion, and you chose to get baptized baptized (If anybody has questions feel free to ask. I will do my best to answer them.)

Jesus Bless all of you :)

Last edited:
1. Really, try reading a post carefully before you make a three-paragraph rant

2. People capitalize stuff prevalent towards their religions out of respect for their deity. Calling it "that Him shit" is a bit rude
1. I type about 135 wpm when I want to, for me a three paragraph rant probably took as much time as it took you to write this

2. People capitalize stuff in their ONE TRUE ONLY GOOD AND HOLY religion to give it an extra sense of grandeur/authority; since I reject that authority as incredibly false, I am always going to call it stuff like that "Him shit".

Stratos

Banned deucer.
captkirby considering you posted a massive rant calling out an agnostic for forcing christianity on you its probably better you just bow out peacefully

His Eminence Lord Poppington II

proverb:the fish who eats most dies still too
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
is anyone else in the same bag where they, either through apathy or the belief that they don't have the authority to make the call as to whether there's a god or not, default to agnosticism?

i mean, generally, you don't give much attention to something that has no noticeable effect. i also don't really think i have the authority to declare, even if it is only to myself, the existence or non-existence of a god; both are exceptionally bold, concrete statements, overwhelmingly justified with abstract reasoning.

captkirby considering you posted a massive rant calling out an agnostic for forcing christianity on you its probably better you just bow out peacefully
I really give so many shits. My "massive rant", counting the part directed at WaterBomb, probably took me about 3 minutes to write. Word dumps are the way to go baby <3

is anyone else in the same bag where they, either through apathy or the belief that they don't have the authority to make the call.
Do you really have to wait for authorities to make every single one of your decisions? Out of all the choices you can make in a day, this is probably the least significant, yet you think you are incapable of coming to your own conclusions? Who does get the authority to make decisions and why should we trust those decisions?

Well billymills I wouldn't take poppy's thoughts that far. I feel the same way as him in that I'm agnostic because I do not explicitly believe in any texts, and do not have any way of making a declarative statement. Since I'm relatively apathetic towards religion and don't believe in anything particular (though my entire family is Hindu), I feel unable and unqualified to make a decision that would result in disqualifying the beliefs of billions of people. So I'm just pretty wishy washy about it lmao.

Bad Ass

Custom Title
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis the 2nd Grand Slam Winneris a Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
I truly believe in God and qualify myself as a strict Baptist. I believe that He is out there an always watching, judging, and pushing us in the correct and moral direction to test us as people. Those who stray from His will (atheist, pedophiles, murderers, rapists, etc), are proven that their faith is not strong enough and thus are not chosen to be admitted into heaven. In these ways, I try to steer people in the right direction to be admitted into heaven. I feel that by not promoting my beliefs to as many people as possible, I am not doing my duty as a Christian because it feels like purposely pushing those around me towards hell. Another way to put it: I truly in my heart of hearts believe in my religion. Thus, why would I not push people towards it? I know that God is real and that you will be punished for sinning. I just want everyone to go to heaven. Some say that this can become a little extremist. I was called out for picketing an abortion clinic a few months ago, but what they fail to understand is that by idly sitting by I am allowing the sinners to go to hell.

Just my point of view. Atheism is a little silly.

is anyone else in the same bag where they, either through apathy or the belief that they don't have the authority to make the call as to whether there's a god or not, default to agnosticism?

i mean, generally, you don't give much attention to something that has no noticeable effect. i also don't really think i have the authority to declare, even if it is only to myself, the existence or non-existence of a god; both are exceptionally bold, concrete statements, overwhelmingly justified with abstract reasoning.
No one here is making a call to anything if that's what you mean, but elsewhere I completely agree with you. Everyone has the right to their own beliefs, but just because your beliefs are old or "better" doesn't mean you're able to determine whether or not there really is a God.
I truly believe in God and qualify myself as a strict Baptist. I believe that He is out there an always watching, judging, and pushing us in the correct and moral direction to test us as people. Those who stray from His will (atheist, pedophiles, murderers, rapists, etc), are proven that their faith is not strong enough and thus are not chosen to be admitted into heaven. In these ways, I try to steer people in the right direction to be admitted into heaven. I feel that by not promoting my beliefs to as many people as possible, I am not doing my duty as a Christian because it feels like purposely pushing those around me towards hell. Another way to put it: I truly in my heart of hearts believe in my religion. Thus, why would I not push people towards it? I know that God is real and that you will be punished for sinning. I just want everyone to go to heaven. Some say that this can become a little extremist. I was called out for picketing an abortion clinic a few months ago, but what they fail to understand is that by idly sitting by I am allowing the sinners to go to hell.

Now back to religion, what I don't get about your claim is that God will punish all those who do not believe in him, will someone go to hell because they've never heard of Christianity and therefor unable to practice it, while rich, money hogging bastards go to heaven because they were loyal to the chruch? And what about other religions? Everyone else claims they're right and everyone else is wrong, so who's God is real?
There are just so many loose ends and so many unsolved questions that I feel it's pointless to waste your time with religion.

Last edited:
Well billymills I wouldn't take poppy's thoughts that far. I feel the same way as him in that I'm agnostic because I do not explicitly believe in any texts, and do not have any way of making a declarative statement. Since I'm relatively apathetic towards religion and don't believe in anything particular (though my entire family is Hindu), I feel unable and unqualified to make a decision that would result in disqualifying the beliefs of billions of people. So I'm just pretty wishy washy about it lmao.
I'm not sure how I can interpret this argument as anything short of complete arrogance. You are making a simple decision to answer an inconsequential question. You are not proving that billions of people wrong. How many people of those billions do you think would care in the slightest about how you answer that question. I have no problem with people being wishy washy; many others have mentioned it before me: there are so many more important issues people deal with daily. I do, however, have a problem with people thinking they are incapable of making their own decisions. I wouldn't have brought this up if poppy hadn't demonstrated the same abhorrent logic in another thread as well. How people treat religion, an insignificant issue, leaks into how the deal with other moral issues, which can be very significant.

Fetuses are not people, people are not getting abortions just for the sake of killing potential children, they're getting an abortion because either they don't have the money to support a child, being pregnant is literally putting the mother's life in danger and giving birth will most likely kill the mother if not the child also, they were raped and ended up pregnant, therefor completely unprepared for the responsibility of parenthood, etc. People like you won't give a shit about the child T-minus 10 seconds after birth. And let's face it, do we really need anymore people on this planet?
Honestly the word abortion should be blocked on this forum. This is where the thread dies.

I consider myself an Atheist, but by the most liberal definition, that in I find the "evidence" for a God not compelling. Just to make this clear, I do not asset that no God exists, that would be anti-theism. To be honestly I find theists attempts to assert that we 'believe' other things kind of odd, after all this is our thing, we decide what the definition is, not you. To me is is kind of like evangelicals trying to claim Morons or Jehovas aren't Christians.

I was raised a Catholic, but fell out of it as I got older, things just weren't adding up, and as I grew older, I found the reasons for my belief were logical fallacies, one by one they dropped and I had to question why I was doing this entire charade. I became an Atheist after watching some Atheist Experience on youtube, where they explained Atheism to me, and I found out I was an Atheist. At the same time I started looking at life more logically after learning many of the basic tenants of logical thought from them. Overall its a solid program, even if you are a Athiest its an exellent watch to discover exactly what real life Atheist organizations think and what they really are about, or just for a laugh, as some real nutters come on.

Last edited:

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'm not sure how I can interpret this argument as anything short of complete arrogance. You are making a simple decision to answer an inconsequential question.
Are you referring to a decision about believing in a religion or not as inconsequential? I don't want to assume this is what you meant, so I'm asking if you are.

EDIT: Nevermind, after re-reading your post I noticed this:

religion, an insignificant issue
Clearly, something billions of people have lived, fought, and died for over thousands of years is "insignificant" and "inconsequential".

Last edited:

Ed Balls

You're a massive cunt. Just my point of view.* See? Saying it's just your opinion doesn't excuse saying something so reprehensible. It also invalidates it because it automatically shields it from criticism: 'Well so what if you have this argument that debunks it completely! It's my opinion!'

*These views are irrepresentative of those of the Labour Party

Since this is the Atheism thread, how about an Atheism question. How do you guys feel about believing in something without empirical evidence? A lot of other Atheists I find demand solid physical evidence for God, as well as other beliefs, however, I feel this goes a bit too far IMO. For example, I am a Mathematical Platonist, I believe that numbers exist in some form within our universe, and in our pursuit of Mathematics we are accessing this information in the universe its self. I can not prove that these Platonic forms exist in any way, but from what I have learned in Mathematics, it seems apparent to me that numbers do not simply just exist in the physical concrete form like Nominalism suggests.

Anyway, what do you think about this? Do you Atheists have some unverifiable beliefs, and if so how to you reconcile them with Atheism.

For anyone wondering about Mathimatical Philosophy, here is a nice intro video, Numberphile also have a lot of nice mathematical videos.

Last edited:

is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'm not sure how I can interpret this argument as anything short of complete arrogance. You are making a simple decision to answer an inconsequential question. You are not proving that billions of people wrong. How many people of those billions do you think would care in the slightest about how you answer that question. I have no problem with people being wishy washy; many others have mentioned it before me: there are so many more important issues people deal with daily. I do, however, have a problem with people thinking they are incapable of making their own decisions. I wouldn't have brought this up if poppy hadn't demonstrated the same abhorrent logic in another thread as well. How people treat religion, an insignificant issue, leaks into how the deal with other moral issues, which can be very significant.
what the fuck lol

your moral creed can have absolutely nothing to do with how you treat religion; not making a decision doesn't tie you down to anything morally.

also, the argument i'm proposing is the opposite of arrogance. the existence of a higher being is a conclusion that one cannot come to that easily. my stance of not thinking i have the authority is part and parcel of not giving a shit about it. i don't think i have any useful opinions about things i don't care about. that is not to say i am irreverent towards religion, anyone who can find salvation in faith alone has my thumbs up (although i do have a problem with literal interpretation of text).

i only asked that question because in my younger years i was put on the spot about religion after only just having recently rejected christianity that my household brought me up with. i tried to explain that i didn't want to have an opinion on it, and argued that it was not agnosticism because i reasoned that, in the same way that if you neither like or dislike something (and thusly don't care about it) then you have no association with it, and therefore no need to label yourself. of course, i now realise i just default to agnosticism.

billymills i honestly have no idea how you interpreted my post as 'complete arrogance'.

Since this is the Atheism thread, how about an Atheism question. How do you guys feel about believing in something without empirical evidence?

For me, it depends on what it is. If it's something that doesn't significantly influence our existence, then chances are I might believe it. However theism has just too much unsupported faith and poorly-explained logic that I can't believe it. I love the video, btw.

Personally, I'm an agnostic [and I'm sure most "atheists" are actually agnostics] - and, to me, if you're an adamant atheist, it's a touch arrogant, as you're basically claiming that a god cannot possibly exist despite the fact that human understanding isn't infinite, our understanding of the universe is not either, and there are so many different interpretations of what a god is and what they are capable of that it's simply not scientifically falsifiable.

Also, for the people talking about "not pushing religion on people," you fail to recognize a key feature of Christianity and similar religions - that is, speaking to others others and teaching them their ways so they can be saved and achieve exaltation. They do it out of wanting to share heaven with others. Not doing so is exceptionally selfish and possibly unchristian depending on your individual perception of it. That's a huge thing; holy books have been translated and localized and translated again, thus naturally resulting in inconsistencies, omissions, odd inclusions, and various other aspects that change the meaning of books - and that's not even counting individual interpretations of the scriptures themselves, oi vey.

Thus, why be offended if someone wants to share their religion with you? You shouldn't be - they want to save you and let you share their bounty, whatever that might be. Rather, if you don't want them to talk to you, just ask them to leave you alone. Naturally, harassment could occur, but harassment is hardly the same thing as:

-and, naturally, you can tell them to kindly fuck off or call the authorities if they get really bad, just like any other person.

Note that while this is mainly alluding to Christians and denominations of Christianity [I was born and raised Mormon, and thus have better knowledge of them], it can apply to any other religion, honestly.

Last edited:
he was interpreting my post as complete arrogance, but since i feel basically the exact same as you, it's kind of the same thing

though billymills, i respect your right to disagree, but i really don't understand how something like "i am agnostic because i do not specifically believe in anything, but due to me having absolutely NO IDEA about what the fuck is up, me never having an idea about what the fuck is up, and me having absolutely no authority or ability to come to a conclusion about what the fuck is up since i just DON'T KNOW WHAT THE FUCK IS UP" is abhorrent logic, since it's really not logic just my own opinion, and i really can't take your posts in this thread seriously as you're adamantly referring to religion as an inconsequential issue. while i agree that someone else's religion to you should not have any consequence to your interaction with them, to individuals, their own religious stance is of vast importance. because you feel differently does not mean you have the right to belittle an incredibly important ideal for literally millions of people.

o i see how he could have interpreted that as arrogance, although it's still wrong. i would also like to see where else i have applied my 'abhorrent logic'. or at least have an explanation as to why it is.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)