A Mixed Bag of goodies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Everyone of Smogon , im new to the smogon forums but a veteren of playing pokemon. Competitive on the other hand im into my second year now anyways. I wanted to create a team that not many people would know of and well heres how my team came out. I apologize of the way im setting this out is wrong as this is my first post.;)

Hypno
Ability: Insomnia
Item: : Leftovers
Ah Hypno the very creepy dude he is.:toast:
Hypno is the Special wall of the team while also being able to slow the enemy down. Basically be annoying. He also carrys the standard seismic toss to deal damage with no special attack ev and so he isnt taunt bait.
  • Moves:Seismic toss/thunder wave/protect/wish
Now his Ev spread is pretty basic giveing him his best possible special wall stats
  • Evs: 252 Hp/252 SpD/4 Def
And his nature is Calm

Exeggutor
Abillity: Harvest
Item: Sitrus berry
Exeggutor the physical tank of the team and boy what a job he does. He has literally won the game for me on soooo many occasion no matter the odds. He takes hits well , well on the physical side and can still dish out a good amount of damage on unsuspecting foes.
  • Moves: Psychic/substitute/leech seed/stun spore
Now hes Ev spread is also pretty basic giveing him the best possible stats as a physical wall.
  • Evs: 252 Hp/252 Def/4 Sp-Atk
He has the Bold nature

Mightyena
Abilty: Moxie
Item: life orb
Mightyena , the underrated machine. Not only does this bad boy look cool he actually is cool! He serves as my teams Physical sweeper/revenge killer and is mainly used mid to late game when the opposeing team is weakend. Once he gets one to two moxie boosts and its hard to stop him.
  • Moves: Sucker punch/fire fang/ice fang/crunch
His ev set is maximum speed with attack power added in.
  • Evs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spd
With the Jolly nature;)

Heatmor
Abilty: Flash fire
Item: Choice scarf
Heatmore the anteater pokemon, this pokemon is just,well amazeing!! so underated. Ill admit i first thought of him as a revenge killer on the special side as a gimmick but now he is a valuable member on the team.The sheer amount of times he has defeated pokemon who the enemy thought was faster is through the roof , the never expect him to be running a scarf and it just works!
  • Moves: Fire blast/Focus blast/Giga drain/hidden power ice(up for changeing?)
His ev set gives him the maximum speed he can possibly get.
  • Evs: 252 SpAtk/252 Spd/4 SpDef
His nature is timid

Golem
Abilty: sturdy
Item: Custap berry
The hard headed golem!!!Been one of my favourite pokemon since the begining. This gen one badass is a lead for many people in NU and for good reason. His high attack,defense and hp means your pretty much granted your rocks up. I just added a little twist to him ,with a custap berry and his maximum attack investment with his ability sturdy he has taken out 2 pokemon with him nearly all the time!Set up rocks? attack?Blow up? doesnt matter golem has it all , and its awesome when all 3 happens:)
  • Moves: earthquake/rock blast/explosion/stealth rocks
His evs are standard
  • Evs: 252 Hp/252 Atk/4 Def
His nature is adamant

Grumpig

Abilty: thick fat
Item: choice scarf
Grumpig yet another underatted pokemon, his goal on my team is well basically filler for another wall while cripleing another pokemon. He also serves the team healer with the ever so useful heal bell. Out of all the team members he is the least usefull i find and im up to suggestions to replace him but for what his worth i like him and he has helped me alot in the past.
  • Moves: seismic toss/thunder wave/heal bell/trick
His evs are kinda random to be honest
  • Evs: 148 Hp/108 SpDef/252 Spd
His nature is Timid

Well there you have it my team of goodies:toast: Im up for constructive criticism and any tips on how to improve my team.Remember im useing pokemon that are not really used , they may be used just not alot and again i apologize for the grammer mistakes and the way i made this thread. I appreciate any feed back as it will help alot :) cheers guys

scorpdestroyer

it's a skorupi egg
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
You do know you have a gaint weakness to bug/ghost/dark type moves you should get rid of grunpig for mienshao or a shedninja sorry if this isint much
Mienshao is UU, which is like two tiers above NU. Meanwhile Shedinja is such a niche Pokemon that it isn't worth using without full team support, and is hardly a way to cover up Ghost and Dark weaknesses

I think I might as well do some nitpicks for now. Firstly, Golem is better off running an EV spread of 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd. Since you're running a suicide Custap lead golem, you don't need the HP EVs and they would get in the way of bringing you down to Custap range. Secondly, I don't see the point of Choice Scarf on Grumpig. While it lets you trick a wall, it really can't revenge anything at all and is pretty much forced to use Trick when it comes in, otherwise it's forced to switch often, which is bad due to hazards and momentum-wise.

Sorry for the short rate, I might give it a longer one another time

Last edited:
Mienshao is UU, which is like two tiers above NU. Meanwhile Shedinja is such a niche Pokemon that it isn't worth using without full team support, and is hardly a way to cover up Ghost and Dark weaknesses

I think I might as well do some nitpicks for now. Firstly, Golem is better off running an EV spread of 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd. Since you're running a suicide Custap lead golem, you don't need the HP EVs and they would get in the way of bringing you down to Custap range. Secondly, I don't see the point of Choice Scarf on Grumpig. While it lets you trick a wall, it really can't revenge anything at all and is pretty much forced to use Trick when it comes in, otherwise it's forced to switch often, which is bad due to hazards and momentum-wise.

Sorry for the short rate, I might give it a longer one another time
thankyou very much for the feedback :) ill change golems ev spread and grumpig :)

As was pointed out earlier, you do have trouble handling bug,ghost, and dark moves. While they are certainly not the most common of attacking types, you still might have trouble with threats like golurk or misssy(if mightyena is knocked out), skuntank, and pinsir. I hate to be replacing one of your team members, but perhaps a specially defensive or mixed bulk Mandibuzz instead of Hypno might work instead. It doesn't serve exactly the same role as hypno which is a wish passing, t-waving special wall, but it patches up your ghost and dark weakness pretty nicely. It threatens more offensive pokes with foul play, even getting an ohko on Golurk, and has more reliable recovery than hypno in the form of roost. You can also run whirlwind on it to phaze anything that might want to set up on you, toxic to wear down walls it can't take care of with foul play. Taunt is also usable if you feel the need for it. Granted, you might want to keep hypno because jynx also kinda threatens your team, but hypno is immune to lovely kiss with insomnia. Overall, maybe just switch the item on your grumpig (choice scarf isn't great for it) and fix golem's ev's like scorpdestroyer said, and you should have a pretty solid team. I have a few more nitpicks I'll get to later.

As was pointed out earlier, you do have trouble handling bug,ghost, and dark moves. While they are certainly not the most common of attacking types, you still might have trouble with threats like golurk or misssy(if mightyena is knocked out), skuntank, and pinsir. I hate to be replacing one of your team members, but perhaps a specially defensive or mixed bulk Mandibuzz instead of Hypno might work instead. It doesn't serve exactly the same role as hypno which is a wish passing, t-waving special wall, but it patches up your ghost and dark weakness pretty nicely. It threatens more offensive pokes with foul play, even getting an ohko on Golurk, and has more reliable recovery than hypno in the form of roost. You can also run whirlwind on it to phaze anything that might want to set up on you, toxic to wear down walls it can't take care of with foul play. Taunt is also usable if you feel the need for it. Granted, you might want to keep hypno because jynx also kinda threatens your team, but hypno is immune to lovely kiss with insomnia. Overall, maybe just switch the item on your grumpig (choice scarf isn't great for it) and fix golem's ev's like scorpdestroyer said, and you should have a pretty solid team. I have a few more nitpicks I'll get to later.
Thankyou very much for the rate :) i understand everything you said for mandibuzz , but its hard to get red of hypno when he has helped me so much. But i will fit her in also grumpig will be changed and golems evs have changed :) thanks alot!

Go with what you feel is best. I've used hypno before too, and it come quite in handy sometimes. I just personally use mandi as my special wall now. Just do what feels best for your team.

WhiteDMist

Path>Goal
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Before this goes too far, can you clarify what tier or metagame this team is for? I'm assuming NU, but I would like you to add it as a prefix so that everyone may know. Adding a prefix to the thread title is probably the best way to draw in quality rates as well. If you don't already know how, you can go to the top of this thread and find the Thread Tools menu, where you can edit the title. There you can see a menu of different tiers and metagames that you can select. RMTs without a prefix tend to draw suspicion from moderators, since they would assume you didn't read the rules. Welcome to Smogon!

Before this goes too far, can you clarify what tier or metagame this team is for? I'm assuming NU, but I would like you to add it as a prefix so that everyone may know. Adding a prefix to the thread title is probably the best way to draw in quality rates as well. If you don't already know how, you can go to the top of this thread and find the Thread Tools menu, where you can edit the title. There you can see a menu of different tiers and metagames that you can select. RMTs without a prefix tend to draw suspicion from moderators, since they would assume you didn't read the rules. Welcome to Smogon!
Oh im sorry i thought i did place NU , but yea its an NU team

Dell

majestic pride.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
In addition to taking account to what WhiteDMist suggested, I think it would be best if you review the guidelines explicitly before posting and fix the addressed concerns accordingly. Currently, this thread is displaying a breaking of a select number of rules that is subject of having this locked by a RMT forum moderator (needs expanding of descriptions, needs to be formatted properly, needs to label prefix, and somewhat level of incompetence in relation to what's normally expected of a competitive team).

In regards to the activity currently going on, these are all of which shows indicators of why this thread currently serves little purpose. The quality of the team itself makes it prone for raters to make a lot of suggestions that may seemingly fit well for this team, and/or sets of other Pokemon that inevitably "outclass" whatever else you may have. This is the part where I should explain the purpose of the Rate My Team forum. This is meant to be a forum where you are aiming to improve your team that you have built, tested, and adjusted but still feel may need improvements that perhaps the community can offer. This is not meant to be where we teach you, in the fundamental sense, in regards to what's wrong with nearly each and every one of your sets, and still end up with a sub-par to mediocre team unless we raters suggest practically every single thing better for this team. Proper sets that can help you be aware of what you should be using and what outclasses one another represents information that can be found here. It will provide general data regarding the effectiveness of a certain Pokemon based on that tier.

This is the reason why what everyone is trying to offer for you at this point is not going to be as necessary as it may seem, as all you're getting here is "this set is better for x Pokemon" or "y is better than x." The bottom line, however, is that this would still be ultimately be left off with a poorly-built team. This is why you try to get out there yourself and look through the Sub-forum of the tier that this team is built for (Neverused) and gather information from the on-site analyses so that you can gain a better overview of what you need to know. I also would suggest that you spend some time on the Battling 101 sub-forum and sign up a spot for tutoring, to guide you towards the right direction to help you understand important concepts such as win conditions, thinking through your moves/EV spreads, managing against common metagame threats, and finally building a functional team. That would be a much better method of trying to get a better picture of basic things as a whole, and from there you'll understand what you need to know before participating on the Rate My Team forum.

Welcome to Smogon, and have a nice day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)