Pokémon XY General Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
MB Fairy + Ground is resisted by Skarmory, while Fairy+Ghost is resisted by only Litleo and Fairy+Dark is only resisted by Mawile, which should be using Fairy STAB and Crunch itself. Also, Azumarill is a Fairy which easily beats Heatran.

I'm sure Mega Garchomp will have a counter, even with it's awe-inspiring potential in a sandstorm. A Fairy/Flying Pokemon could stop its STABs without even trying. If GF doesn't make one of those, at least we'll have Mega Mawile with an Air Balloon.

Heracross will have trouble BIG TIME versus Fairies, since Fairy isn't weak to any of it's other coverage moves. Conkeldurr's gonna have to run Poison Jab to get past Fairies, and Scrafty will indeed have to run Iron Head.

Looks like it's the end of Dark/Fighting coverage.

So @V4 brought something to my attention on IRC

<&TheMantyke> whoa shit
<&TheMantyke> metagross gets raped by foul play now
<+Soothing_Green> Oh big time
<+Hozu> D:
<+Hozu> Fuck.
<&TheMantyke> it has good reason to be terrified of liepard of all things
<+Soothing_Green> Nah TM
<+Soothing_Green> Best Foul Play abuser Gen 6
<+Soothing_Green> will be Mega Mawile
<+Soothing_Green> Huge Power
<+Soothing_Green> will work on your opps attack stat
<&TheMantyke> oh, it does?
<+Soothing_Green> and destroy them with their own power
<+Soothing_Green> it does this gen
<+Hozu> Huge Power Foul Play = their attack + Huge Power boost.
<&TheMantyke> holy fucking shit
<&TheMantyke> do you have any documentation the ability works like that?
<&TheMantyke> or did you do it
<+Soothing_Green> TM its on the complete damage formula page
<&TheMantyke> oh shit

I just got REALLY excited to play around with MegaMawile.
Oh... My god... Mega Mawile just got even more real. I hope the formula doesn't change that in Gen 6.

The only con there is if Mega Evolution turns out to be non-priority (as in, if something is faster than you and uses a move in your same speed bracket, it hits you before your mega evolution can take place). As of now, I'm thinking common Mawile would have a set of Pain Split / Dark move / Fairy move / Swords Dance|Stealth Rock|Substitute|Other physical move of choice. Dark-move is left to being Sucker Punch, or now Foul Play's sheer kill-everything power. If Foul Play is picked, there goes priority (unless you pack 2 Dark moves), and the ability to Mega Evolve before being hit, since Mawile - and likely Mega Mawile - are slow.

guess i can post about the topic here, had a small discussion about this http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/gen-6-ghost-darks.3488228/ in particularly my thoughts immediately went to gengar, who can pretty much hit anything neutrally with shadow ball + hp fighting / focus blast. i honestly think gengar just might need to go up into ubers, because now nothing is safe switching into gengar. if you bring in chansey / blissey gengar can run sub / disable and stilll have room for shadow ball / hp fighting (sub / disable would also shut down ferrothorn / foretress ability to fight gengar 1v1). and if your not switching in a normal type then gengar always runs the chance of 2hko ing your poke if he gets the spDef drop from shadow ball. I just really dont want to see gengar become more of a monstrocity then he already is

Mega Mawile cannot have Air Balloon, only the Mega Stone. I'm wondering if Intimidate can activate after un-mega-evolving (If that's even possible). If so, Mawile could Intimidate switch ins if it has already mega evolved.

Ok there is a page that says something about new moves for Megastoise?
Anyone know Japanese or seen translations?

Well.. There's sections for lots of Pokemon, but Megastoise caught my attention because it might get new moves to abuse its ability.
It mentions "wave" attacks, citing Water Pulse & Dark Pulse, specifically. Think Lucario's movepool.

Heracross will have trouble BIG TIME versus Fairies, since Fairy isn't weak to any of it's other coverage moves. Conkeldurr's gonna have to run Poison Jab to get past Fairies, and Scrafty will indeed have to run Iron Head.

Looks like it's the end of Dark/Fighting coverage.
It's a hard life for a pimp.

Monte Cristo

Banned deucer.
Guys, in order to see what probably will be boosted by mega launcher, you need to look at JAPANESE move names, not english, js, water and dark pulse just have a consistent enough japanese-english(by that I mean they have something to do with pulse in both languages) name to be boosted. Also another reason why CC and SP don't get boosted by iron fist since the japanese name for sucker punch is "surprise attack"

EDIT: If hydro pump ends up being boosted, and rain is not banned by the release of a blastoisenite event, I'm seriously thinking of perma-quitting OU, that hydro TOO strongth

EDIT 2: guys, I just used my local mod of honko's calc, look at this fucking power

"252+ SpA Choice Specs Mega Launcher Mega - Blastoise Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 208 SpD Ferrothorn in rain: 223-263 (63.35 - 74.71%) -- guaranteed 2HKO"

kso, tell me when this threat is suspected, stall lives no longer

Last edited:
The only other one would probably be this one
This page just tells you what the abilities do. It actually doesn't say that Mega Mewtwo Y gets Hypnosis (I think Serebii is reporting this). Instead, it lists Hypnosis as an example of a sleep-inducing move that it is immune to. Even though Mega Blastoise is cut off, his ability is discussed on the other page that showcases the new abilities revealed so far.

Guys, in order to see what probably will be boosted by mega launcher, you need to look at JAPANESE move names, not english, js, water and dark pulse just have a consistent enough japanese-english(by that I mean they have something to do with pulse in both languages) name to be boosted. Also another reason why CC and SP don't get boosted by iron fist since the japanese name for sucker punch is "surprise attack"

EDIT: If hydro pump ends up being boosted, and rain is not banned by the release of a blastoisenite event, I'm seriously thinking of perma-quitting OU, that hydro TOO strongth
Sand Force EQ off of over 130 base attack, Adaptability Close Combat off of over 110 base attack, Huge Power Foul Play and Sucker Punch(plus there are already 2 fairies with Huge Power!), double hitting Double Edges, and yet Blastoise with his measly base 85 sAtt gettin a buff to his stats and Hydro Pump is where the line is drawn?

What kind of boost did you assume for Mega Launcher?

Last edited:

Monte Cristo

Banned deucer.
Sand Force EQ off of over 130 base attack, Adaptability Close Combat off of over 110 base attack, Huge Power Foul Play and Sucker Punch(plus there are already 2 fairies with Huge Power!), double hitting Double Edges, and yet Blastoise with his measly base 85 sAtt gettin a buff to his stats and Hydro Pump is where the line is drawn?
We all know anything with those fucking insane descriptions like mega chomp and lucario are getting banned depending on the current defensive and offensive state of the overall metagame, mega kanga is so uncompetetive and powerful that it's obvious it's going to be banned, and mega mawile will probably spike up to #1 in OU for a couple of weeks before it gets banned, but blastoise is probably not getting a suspect, and it just pushes hydro spam from the current insane gen 5 level, to more insane levels, it's probably going to be hard to fight that 3 hydro spam core between megatoise, keldeo and starmie while the best boost sand has gotten since exca was banned, mnegachomp, is highly likely going to get banned

@OiawesomeDG Blastoise won't be getting a Choice Specs boost because it has to hold the Mega Stone. Also, how much of a boost are you assuming?

stop making such bold claims btw; we dont know what the hell xy will offer or exact mechanics so making such claims is pretty rash.

The only non-fairy with huge power is Azurill.

Once more, Mega Blastoise's "Mega Launcher" ability boosts attacks such as:
Dark Pulse
Water Pulse
Aura Sphere
Dragon Pulse

Thus far, these are the only such attacks that exist. Similar moves exist, but these are set apart somewhat by the game's code in Gen 5. It doesn't mention "beam" attacks, or even stuff like Hydro Pump, so I really hope this isn't just a throwaway ability...

So the pics on the front page of Serebii that are named Pokèmon-Moves, those are just listing abilities and not Move descriptions etc?

Monte Cristo

Banned deucer.
@OiawesomeDG Blastoise won't be getting a Choice Specs boost because it has to hold the Mega Stone. Also, how much of a boost are you assuming?

stop making such bold claims btw; we dont know what the hell xy will offer or exact mechanics so...
I forgot that, then remembered, but still, assuming toise gets 100 base special attack, and looking at the assumed power that mega launcher boosts to by observing the trailers which should be 1.5x just like rain, choice items, and pretty much most boosts we know of to this day, ferro is still 3HKO w/o an item, that's fucking strong as hell, and I assume you have an amazing damage form. prediction? like come on, that calc was for the sake of showing how buffed up rain is getting as a joke, mega toise is too slow for non bulky threats to be killed atm, it was more of a showing people who hate rain in gen 5 a little lol of what might be gen 5 power levels

EDIT: " 252+ SpA Mega Launcher Mega (predicted stats) Blastoise Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 208 SpD Ferrothorn in rain: 148-175 (42.04 - 49.71%) -- 0.39% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock"

also for fun, what if mega evos's mega stone were part of a new mechanic called "secondary items?" which for now, due to basic crazyness-capping were limited to mega stones and health restoring berries?

So the pics on the front page of Serebii that are named Pokèmon-Moves, those are just listing abilities and not Move descriptions etc?
I told you exactly what the pages talk about. I can read a good deal of Japanese, so you'll just have to take my word for it. Serebii has a long history of making lots of little mistakes due to him not knowing much Japanese. No offense to Joe; he's a cool dude I'm sure! I'm just stating a fact.

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Nah, we'll just ban MegaBlastoise. And Keldeo and Torn-T and Genesect and half the Rain abusers and--

Oh wait wrong thread.

So, about the type chart. First off, I'm in denial, as it always happens when the last CoroCoro before release doesn't fulfill my wishful thinking. I believe they sent the wrong type chart to be published by CoroCoro, a intermediary chart between MageLeif's beta ("Psychic resists Fairy") and the true, final version. Because obviously anyone can see this chart sucks. To me, the true chart has: Ghost neutral against Dark, Ghost resisted by Steel; Fairy neutral against Steel, Fairy neutral to Bug, Fairy resisted by Ice. Oh, and Water resisted by Ice because yes.

Now that this is out of the way... At first I was, to put it nicely, assblasted with this new type chart. Steel shouldn't resist Fairy, for fuck's sake. But the news of Ghost and Dark changed my mind, and these long hours in lectures and classes and work made me think better and now I realize these changes were... really well-planned.

Just roll with me here because I'd suck trying to explain in any other way:

- Let's start with Dragon. Strong type, almost no resistances, ooga booga. Cool. Fairy completely roflstomps it.
- Then comes Steel. Steel kills poor Fairy, completely putting it in check. Nice, huh.
- But WAIT, what happens when you kill Fairy? Fighting and Dark come out their basements to see the sunlight.
- Shit son, Steel has just dug its own grave. Killing Fairy makes Fighting even more used, who would have thought ?__?
- But no problem, Ghost has just become a god among types for not being resisted by Steel anymore, there'll be plenty to stop Fighting on its trac--
- Oh wait, Dark just got more used now and is the only type to be SE and resistant to Ghost. Oops.
- Fighting gets even more proeminent, being weak to Psychic and Dark means Jirachi and Metagross are out of the picture so only Skarmory is guaranteed to be OU and non-weak to Fighting (yeah, there's MegaMawile and Honedge, but), Steel is killed everywhere by Fighting and now Dragon can come out to play--
- Oh would you look at that, Fairy kills EVERYONE in the field--
- A wild Steel appears--
- Fuck you Fighting stop Close Combating me--

And so it goes. At least type-wise, this seems to be a workable circlejerk. I just don't know WHY Bug is resisted by Fairy... maybe it's so it can be more used along with Dark to try and slow the circlejerking rate a little...?

Heh, my type chart would work much better. But it works to me. They just have to be sensible enough to not fuck over the new pokémon's stats/abilities/stats (pfft hahahah).

Last edited:

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
This page just tells you what the abilities do. It actually doesn't say that Mega Mewtwo Y gets Hypnosis (I think Serebii is reporting this). Instead, it lists Hypnosis as an example of a sleep-inducing move that it is immune to. Even though Mega Blastoise is cut off, his ability is discussed on the other page that showcases the new abilities revealed so far.
I think we get the picture that Serebii hasn't significantly improved his Japanese over the years.
He really should either find someone else, or improve his.

Anyway for people who are confused,
the page starting with Mewtwo was about Abilities,
the page starting with an orange picture was about new moves,
and the page with Fenneckin was about new Pokemon.

PS: Mega Blaziken is still Speed Boost.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)