Pokémon XY General Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Amarusu needs about 200 defense if it wants to survive a bullet punch. Has anyone said anything about the ability that halves damage from contact moves? I can see that making some really good physical walls. The Normal-type that is confirmed to get it essentially loses its Fighting weakness.

Edit: Nope, with uninvested base 100 HP and base 200 def, Bullet Punch is still a guaranteed OHKO.
Try with investment.

One can only hope that a few other ice types get Freeze Skin. Its a great ability in theory, but probably won't be very useful on Amarusu. Generally speaking most fossil Pokemon are slow, with a few exceptions like Kabutops and Archeops, so if Amarusu follows the slow trend, I can't imagine him living long enough to do much damage in the higher tiers.

Imagine how deadly something like a Mega-Weavile getting this ability. Using return would give you a stab 102 BP Ice move, allowing Weavile to be able to actually dish out some damage.

Its a shame the type chart didn't make Ice any better of a typing defensively speaking, but maybe this new ability, if distributed in an optimal manner, can at least buff a few Ice Pokemon.

You guys overrate Freeze Skin, it's actually a death sentence. Ice-type Earthquake / Head Smash means nothing without coverage. However wide the movepool that Pokémon's gonna have, it end up with only Ice-type STAB, even worse than Vanilluxe who can run Hidden Power for coverage! :/

EDIT: Oh ok so it's only Normal moves, I read somewhere it's the Ice-type Normalize ._.

Last edited:
Nope, with no investment it does like 103%. Still, what an awful typing. It's 4x weak to Fighting and Steel, and 2x weak to Water, Grass, Rock, and Ground. It's weak to coverage moves on most offensive Pokemon.

Freeze Skin only affects Normal moves, unlike Normalize. The name had me so worried for a freeze version of flame body.

You guys overrate Freeze Skin, it's actually a death sentence. Ice-type Earthquake / Head Smash means nothing without coverage. However wide the movepool that Pokémon's gonna have, it end up with only Ice-type STAB, even worse than Vanilluxe who can run Hidden Power for coverage! :/
Dude. It only applies to Normal type moves. It is indeed as good as we make it out to be. Return makes a fine physical ice move, the highest power one without drawbacks.

It's not going to be given to all ice types..... And obsoleting spinblocking isn't cool.
Although, what better way to balance a guaranteed spin than to put it on a pokemon that's weak to hazards in the first place? I could see GF doing that.

And Rock / Ice, while cool and a great offensive type (hits 7 types), is literally the worst defensive typing I can think of. Think rock/steel is bad with its 3 weaknesses? Rock/Ice has a whopping 6 weaknesses along with mediocre resists to Poison, Ice, and Normal. At least Celebi and Exeggutor have worthwhile resists.

Although, what better way to balance a guaranteed spin than to put it on a pokemon that's weak to hazards in the first place? I could see GF doing that.

And Rock / Ice, while cool and a great offensive type (hits 7 types), is literally the worst defensive typing I can think of. Think rock/steel is bad with its 3 weaknesses? Rock/Ice has a whopping 6 weaknesses along with mediocre resists to Poison, Ice, and Normal. At least Celebi and Exeggutor have worthwhile resists.
I never thought of steel rock as bad defensive. Sure, not the best, but....

This might have been brought up a few times before, haven't read through the thread.

Fairy+Ghost Stab is unresisted atm.

Discuss.

This might have been brought up a few times before, haven't read through the thread.

Discuss.
Technically, Litleo resists both as a Fire/Normal type, but that could change if it becomes Fire/Poison like we all want it to. Personally, I'm hoping to see Fairy / Ghost Mismagius rocking OU. Perfectly manageable based on its stats, but a gamechanger defensively and even good offensively.

EDIT: Drapion and Skuntank are additional pokemon to resist both Fairy and Ghost.

Last edited:
Technically, Litleo resists both as a Fire/Normal type, but that could change if it becomes Fire/Poison like we all want it to. Personally, I'm hoping to see Fairy / Ghost Mismagius rocking OU. Perfectly manageable based on its stats, but a gamechanger defensively and even good offensively.
Ah, you're right. God dangit Litleo! Lol.

It's not going to be given to all ice types..... And obsoleting spinblocking isn't cool.
I never said it was... If it actually happens, I can't see more than a couple Pokemon getting that combination, so it wouldn't be that difficult to play around. Then maybe the lower tiers will get an actual decent supply of spinners to choose from. Besides, Ghosts are already getting a huge buff in the new type-chart anyway.

Discuss.
No, it is resisted by the Fire/Normal Litleo. Dark+Fairy is only resisted by Mawile.

Ok there is a page that says something about new moves for Megastoise?
Anyone know Japanese or seen translations?

Well.. There's sections for lots of Pokemon, but Megastoise caught my attention because it might get new moves to abuse its ability.

Well.. There's sections for lots of Pokemon, but Megastoise caught my attention because it might get new moves to abuse its ability.
I dont think Ive seen anybody mention this, but we all know that Clauncher is getting Blastoise's gun ability, right? It has 'launcher' in its name and its claw is a gun thing...

I'll see flash cannon heatran being more viable with the new fairy types and heatran is quad resisted to the type as well making him a solid check/counter to fairy types. Though a dual fairy/ground type will be able to beat it.

I doubt it. This page...

I think is just talking about new abilities in general, so it probably doesn't specify.

The only other one would probably be this one

But he's cut off. I doubt it'd mention it there either.

I still think Dark Pulse is a safe bet

I doubt it. This page...

I think is just talking about new abilities in general, so it probably doesn't specify.

The only other one would probably be this one

But he's cut off. I doubt it'd mention it there either.

I still think Dark Pulse is a safe bet
Yeah, all it does is restate what the abilities do and stuff. Nothing new

I'll see flash cannon heatran being more viable with the new fairy types and heatran is quad resisted to the type as well making him a solid check/counter to fairy types. Though a dual fairy/ground type will be able to beat it.
Fairy + Ground + Mold Breaker = 100% perfect coverage

So @V4 brought something to my attention on IRC

<&TheMantyke> whoa shit
<&TheMantyke> metagross gets raped by foul play now
<+Soothing_Green> Oh big time
<+Hozu> D:
<+Hozu> Fuck.
<&TheMantyke> it has good reason to be terrified of liepard of all things
<+Soothing_Green> Nah TM
<+Soothing_Green> Best Foul Play abuser Gen 6
<+Soothing_Green> will be Mega Mawile
<+Soothing_Green> Huge Power
<+Soothing_Green> will work on your opps attack stat
<&TheMantyke> oh, it does?
<+Soothing_Green> and destroy them with their own power
<+Soothing_Green> it does this gen
<+Hozu> Huge Power Foul Play = their attack + Huge Power boost.
<&TheMantyke> holy fucking shit
<&TheMantyke> do you have any documentation the ability works like that?
<&TheMantyke> or did you do it
<+Soothing_Green> TM its on the complete damage formula page
<&TheMantyke> oh shit

I just got REALLY excited to play around with MegaMawile.

Discuss.
Gengar running Hidden Power Fairy? lol

Gengar will become a huge threat. He won't fear Steels like Jirachi or Ferrothorn switching in on Shadow Ball, and has the strongest Sludge Wave in the game (so close, Nidoking) to take out Fairies. He'll be a nice partner for Dragons.

Any thoughts on how Gardevoir will do in OU? She'll kind of do well against the Latis (though Psyshock is a 3HKO), and definitely Hydreigon. Good move pool and special stats, awesome Trace ability...

So @V4 brought something to my attention on IRC

<&TheMantyke> whoa shit
<&TheMantyke> metagross gets raped by foul play now
<+Soothing_Green> Oh big time
<+Hozu> D:
<+Hozu> Fuck.
<&TheMantyke> it has good reason to be terrified of liepard of all things
<+Soothing_Green> Nah TM
<+Soothing_Green> Best Foul Play abuser Gen 6
<+Soothing_Green> will be Mega Mawile
<+Soothing_Green> Huge Power
<+Soothing_Green> will work on your opps attack stat
<&TheMantyke> oh, it does?
<+Soothing_Green> and destroy them with their own power
<+Soothing_Green> it does this gen
<+Hozu> Huge Power Foul Play = their attack + Huge Power boost.
<&TheMantyke> holy fucking shit
<&TheMantyke> do you have any documentation the ability works like that?
<&TheMantyke> or did you do it
<+Soothing_Green> TM its on the complete damage formula page
<&TheMantyke> oh shit

I just got REALLY excited to play around with MegaMawile.
Lol wow if only it got STAB on it! But a 95 bp move hitting as if the opponent had already been Swaggered.
The only problem is that Mawile lowers their attack on switch in, weaker Foul Plays

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 20)