Pokémon XY General Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
To be honest, Braixen and Frogadier could pass as fully evolved Pokémon - I hope their evolutions don't overdo it, but they'll probably still look really awesome. And finally sauropod and tyrannosaur fossils? I can't wait another month...

You know, that type chart - which was mostly old hat information - makes me think that a lot of the old status moves are going to be coming back in a big way. What status is notably extremely absent compared to RBYGSC? Freeze.

What would be a good way for Ice Pokemon to increase in viability without changing type dynamics? More freezing.

Bug got an unexpected damage nerf against fairy, and the most obvious explanation we can find for the change is to prevent them from benefitting too much by the increased prevalence of Dark. What else would improve the presence of Bug? More Grass prominence as Status Inducers.

A feature of Pokemon-Amie is to allow various status effects to automatically cure themselves over time. There's also a restore status button in the combat screen. This may indicate that there's an increase in the number of status ailments the player will encounter over the single-player game such that carrying Full Heals and using them every three fights might have gotten too annoying.

A revealed move is Nuzzle, which is described as paralyzing and also dealing damage, not dealing damage with a high chance of paralysis. We've also got hints of an improved Fire Spin and probably other trappers, and GF's been trying to improve those moves ever since they realized they were badly overnerfed. Game Freak thought that trapping has become important enough that Ghost needed to establish a niche as being able to escape from it, just as Flying once had a niche in being able to enter and ignore entry hazards. (wouldn't be surprised to see SR finally getting a nerf this gen, btw, if they can reduce low-cost switching for everyone through Fire Spin/Whirlpool prevalence. SR I think was intended to speed the metagame up and specifically reduce the problem of abuse of the most common immunity, Fly vs. Ground. If Flyers don't get as many freebie switches, this is no longer a problem SR solves.)

So I am thinking we may see an increased emphasis on status moves as a part of offensive movesets.

Last edited:
I was sold on X when I saw they had a pistol shrimp. A Fairy-type legend and Psychic/Fighting Mewtwo only sweetened the deal (ironically, Swirlix did not >.<).

I also second Grass/Water combo + event Torchic (leaning toward Chespin, but that's contingent upon his second typing. I don't want Dark because I'm going for Malamar).

One month to go!

I was sold on X when I saw they had a pistol shrimp. A Fairy-type legend and Psychic/Fighting Mewtwo only sweetened the deal (ironically, Swirlix did not >.<).

I also second Grass/Water combo + event Torchic (leaning toward Chespin, but that's contingent upon his second typing. I don't want Dark because I'm going for Malamar).

One month to go!
The stacking is. Not. Bad. Although I can see how you wouldn't want two 4x bug weaknesses on the same team.

One month to go!
Stacking types isn't the worst thing that you could do. If you're worried about your team being imbalanced in-game, you should probably worry more about over/under leveling, as that would have a bigger impact than having multiples of the same type.

At first I was gonna get Y because I prefer Yveltal. But then there was Clauncher and now there's MMX and Xerneas has grown on me since the reveal of Fairy and so instead I'm just gonna get...BOTH! I've never gotten two games from the same gen (unless Red and Yellow/Ruby and Emerald count), but there's a first for everything.

At first I was gonna get Y because I prefer Yveltal. But then there was Clauncherand now there's MMX and Xerneas has grown on me since the reveal of Fairy and so instead I'm just gonna get...BOTH! I've never gotten two games from the same gen (unless Red and Yellow/Ruby and Emerald count), but there's a first for everything.
The funny thing is, I usually pick the game containing my preferred cover legendary, and time and time again it has also contained all or nearly all of the version exclusives I prefer.

Interestingly, this will be the first generation where I do not think I will get both flagship versions. I can't afford to have two 3DSes and the need for self-trading looks to be at its lowest ever. The only pokemon games I have failed to get in the past were Crystal, Emerald, and Leaf Green.

I'm going for Yveltal myself, based on current info.

Oh, that reminds me, if any of you folks remember that discussion about critical hits only dealing 1.5x damage instead of 2x damage for this generation...

Clauncher Details (Serebii) said:
Details:
It uses its one oversized claw not only to seize prey but also to shoot condensed water at others as a projectile. This capability is so intense that it can crack a boulder! A Water-type Pokémon, Clauncher can also use its giant claw to crush opponents with the powerful Water-type move Crabhammer, which is more likely to land a critical hit. Critical hits against opposing Pokémon will do twice the usual damage. It is exclusive to Pokémon X .
Alas, but I will be buying Y. My roommate's getting X, though, so it works out.

As long as half your whole team isn't weak to a hacked pseudolegendary pokemon that you face in your final E4 battle, you won't run into any problems with stacking types.

Interestingly, this will be the first generation where I do not think I will get both flagship versions. I can't afford to have two 3DSes and the need for self-trading looks to be at its lowest ever. The only pokemon games I have failed to get in the past were Crystal, Emerald, and Leaf Green.

I'm going for Yveltal myself, based on current info.
You don't really need two separate 3DSes if you want to trade between games thanks to PokeBank or whatever they're calling it.

The funny thing is, I usually pick the game containing my preferred cover legendary, and time and time again it has also contained all or nearly all of the version exclusives I prefer.
I usually don't care too much about version exclusives, but we've also known 100% of the information and I have preconceived opinions. However, since we know what I assume is still a relatively small amount about the overall game, I have to go by my instincts, and my instincts say Clauncher is awesome and I need him in my life even if I'm already getting Froakie.

I usually don't care too much about version exclusives, but we've also known 100% of the information and I have preconceived opinions. However, since we know what I assume is still a relatively small amount about the overall game, I have to go by my instincts, and my instincts say Clauncher is awesome and I need him in my life even if I'm already getting Froakie.
Lol can't argue with that logic.

You don't really need two separate 3DSes if you want to trade between games thanks to PokeBank or whatever they're calling it.
My main concern with trading in the GTS era is actually trade evolutions. The standard has been that external box systems do not trigger evolution of Gengar et al. But at this point I think it should be really easy to get people to trade stuff with me and back.

I posted this on the OU thread but maybe I can hear some of your thoughts here.
So the recent announcements of the new type buffs makes me hopeful that the types that seem to have gotten the short end of the stick (psychic, bug, ice, etc) might be getting some indirect buffs not yet revealed. Maybe related to new moves, statuses, weather. After all GF said they were going to rebalance the types more. Then again I'm an optimist.

I never understood Stunfisk's status as "joke pokemon".
Stunfisk actually has a unique type, good bulk, solid movepool and decent abilities.
It's definitely not at the same level as joke pokemon such as Luvdisc.
I actually think of Luvdisc as less of a joke pokemon and more of a "it's there for atmosphere" pokemon, like a lot of useless waters. Jokes have to have a presence and be funny, Luvdisc is just kinda there and provides heart scales.

I posted this on the OU thread but maybe I can hear some of your thoughts here.
So the recent announcements of the new type buffs makes me hopeful that the types that seem to have gotten the short end of the stick (psychic, bug, ice, etc) might be getting some indirect buffs not yet revealed. Maybe related to new moves, statuses, weather. After all GF said they were going to rebalance the types more. Then again I'm an optimist.
I posted about this at the top of this page, actually.

I never understood Stunfisk's status as "joke pokemon".
Stunfisk actually has a unique type, good bulk, solid movepool and decent abilities.
It's definitely not at the same level as joke pokemon such as Luvdisc.
Most likely people just dont like how it looks. IMO Stunfisk is awesome Pokemon and I want to see him evolve this gen. At least Mega.

I don't know guys but after see this a normalize sweep...

Limber Stunfisk can be used to give that abilitie to a another pokemon to increase their inmunities such Skarmory, Scizor, etc. Yeah, random.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 6)