Pokémon XY General Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has any of the reviewers mentioned stuff on version exclusives, or what makes pokemon X different from pokemon Y besides the ones we know? Are there any over world changes between them?

IGN confirmed the return of flat battling. I'm sure we're all happy to see this after the loss from gen 5.

EDIT: Showing the No restriction on team size, because that's the most important part.
Does this mean we have auto leveling to 100 again? I'm just making sure I understand it.

I prefer level 50, because the health bars don't take so damn long to go down (don't know if this mechanic has been changed in XY though). There's essentially no difference otherwise.

I don't understand why everyone is freaking out about how Dodou and Dodrio can be in Air Battles. The Flying type doesn't mean that it has to fly by the means of wings. Flying is more of like an Air type nowadays, just look at Gyarados, Scyther, and Driftblim. It'll fly by using wind just like the others do. Because apparently Scyther can't fly with it's wings.

Malamar might be really good VGC material. With topsy-turvy, Malamar's partner could wreck with moves like Swagger and other ones like Draco Meteor, Leaf Storm etc.

Also, on a side note, would using topsy-turvy with Malamar with Contrary still be normal, like would it be a double switch for Malamar?

From watching the IGN review, 2 things stood out to me:
(Click the images to make them bigger if needed)
EXPLAIN.jpg

lucario 1.jpg
lucario 2.jpg

We now know Glow Punch's English name is Power-Up Punch

Just remind me, what does topsy-turvy do? Does it reverse stat changes on the user?
On the target, user or friendly. Which I think makes it my favorite "anti-setup" move so far, especially if it gets priority. Once Attack and Speed boosting moves came onto the scene, Psych Up lost its luster, and I never thought Punishment was a suitable answer to the speed boosters.

Does this mean we have auto leveling to 100 again? I'm just making sure I understand it.
I certainly hope so. (Or at least lv. 50. I'm glad set levels are returning either way). Couldn't stand grinding endlessly to get a workable team.

On the note of wi-fi, does anyone know if Amie effects can be turned off in multiplayer?

I certainly hope so. (Or at least lv. 50. I'm glad set levels are returning either way). Couldn't stand grinding endlessly to get a workable team.

On the note of wi-fi, does anyone know if Amie effects can be turned off in multiplayer?
No known info yet.

I'd LIKE to believe that it reverts the Mega evolution back to its former self, but if it had an option like that, it would be in the battle menu. Maybe an O-Power function?
I'm pretty sure it was confirmed by demo testers at Pax to restore status.

I'm willing to bet it's just the Inkay's line signature move, at least for XY.
That's what I'm thinking too, Topsy-Turvy just looks too... "special" to be widely distributed, especially among our current selection of Prankster pokes.

I'm sorry, but none of them scream being able to use Topsy-Turvy.

Restore is the option for healing items, it's been mentioned before. It's a quicker way to access healing items apparently (Like going through items from bag is hard lol). It was apparently accessible in a demo/seen or something.

Edit: Of course not confirmed officially (aka anywhere on pokemon site), but I'm pretty positive it was in the demos or someone explained it. Apologies if incorrect.

Last edited:
Malamar might be really good VGC material. With topsy-turvy, Malamar's partner could wreck with moves like Swagger and other ones like Draco Meteor, Leaf Storm etc.

Also, on a side note, would using topsy-turvy with Malamar with Contrary still be normal, like would it be a double switch for Malamar?
topsy turvy is screwed over by follow me, fake out, taunt, bug moves in general, and encore. the first two of which are on basically every team. so yeah tops turvy probably wont see much use outside of the first few weeks.

Do we know what the Restore button do?
i think it was implied that you can use a healing item without burning a turn. hard to see it doing anything else since they wouldve made a bigger deal out of it if it was a new game changing battle feature

topsy turvy is screwed over by follow me, fake out, taunt, bug moves in general, and encore. the first two of which are on basically every team. so yeah tops turvy probably wont see much use outside of the first few weeks.
Agreed. It will probably be used as often as phazing moves, as it performs almost the same function, but can't eliminate substitute. It's basically like a less capable whirlwind.

Personally I think Malamar has great potential as an OU candidate. It's dark/psychic typing Guves I only one weakness in bug type moves, an it's typing means that could potentially be a good mixed attacker. I mean, dark types tend to have high attack, whil psychos tend to have high sp attack. Controversy could potentially make him a wrecking ball if we see any new dark or psychic moves that lower stats. Topsy-Turvy could potentially make him a great counter to set up sweepers. All in all, I'm excited to see what Malamar can do.

I'd LIKE to believe that it reverts the Mega evolution back to its former self, but if it had an option like that, it would be in the battle menu. Maybe an O-Power function?
Actually, it allows you to restore your Pokemons health with mess (potions, full heal, etc) before sending them out into battle.

I'm willing to bet it's just the Inkay's line signature move, at least for XY.
There have been few "true" signature moves in the last few generations, especially for non-legends - mostly stuff with a very tight distribution. I would bet there are a handful of Old Mon who can get it somehow. Hitmontop would be a prime candidate, just in case that thing didn't do enough weird stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 7)