Pokémon Kangaskhan

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd think so. Though Mkangaskhan gets buffed stats, its speed tier is still pretty average. Any priority user or DD/Speed Boost users will decimate MKangaskhan if it tries to set up with PUP. Gotta watch out for flyers/levitates though if you want to spam Earthquake.

Edit: Then again, it does have Sucker Punch... I'm not too sure about this though. Like I said, every time I've seen PUP used against me it's been underwhelming. If I have lost to a MKangaskhan, it's because the other player outplayed me rather than a buffed attack stat.
Good to know, thanks for the input. So now I am thinking of running:

Jolly
- EQ
- Return
- Fake Out
- Sucker Punch

The other option would be going similar to paraflinch, but I think it would be too gimmicky even though it could help beat counters and checks

Last edited by a moderator:
Thoughts on Jolly vs Adamant?
I dunno. What does it outspeed with Jolly and not Adamant that it cares about hitting?
...You can find these thing out too. Watch, to demonstrate, Imma go to Serebii right now and ask it whose base speed is higher than Kanga's, that's a start and anybody can do it.

Megaskhan is base 100 so it'll tie with guys like Timid Megazard Y, Megacham, and Tentacruel, to name a few things that it probably has to worry about being outsped by when Adamant. There's probably other stuff. *shrug*

Ferrothorn/rocky helmet steels are just so hurtful.
So there's this thing I didn't really see mentioned much earlier outside of one guy mentioning a gimmick special set.

Kangaskhan can learn Fire Blast, and with Parental Bond it has somewhere between 90~100 effective SpA spread out over two hits. That's more than enough to carry Fire Blast as a coverage move on an otherwise physical set (though you'd have to take a -Def/SpDef nature for it), and it does some pretty significant damage to a lot of things that would otherwise give kangaskhan problems (Ferrothorn, Skarmory, Forretress, Scizor to name a few). While there's only a ~72% chance of both blasts hitting, that's still better than Focus Blast and people have been using that for coverage for ages.

canno

formerly The Reptile
So there's this thing I didn't really see mentioned much earlier outside of one guy mentioning a gimmick special set.

Kangaskhan can learn Fire Blast, and with Parental Bond it has somewhere between 90~100 effective SpA spread out over two hits. That's more than enough to carry Fire Blast as a coverage move on an otherwise physical set (though you'd have to take a -Def/SpDef nature for it), and it does some pretty significant damage to a lot of things that would otherwise give kangaskhan problems (Ferrothorn, Skarmory, Forretress, Scizor to name a few). While there's only a ~72% chance of both blasts hitting, that's still better than Focus Blast and people have been using that for coverage for ages.
Honestly, Flamethrower accomplishes exactly what Fire Blast tries to do, except with more accuracy (I calc'd a ton of shit vs Flamethrower and Fire Blast).

I have to say from my experience on the gen 6 ladder, Kangaskhan is a total monster and has given every team I've used the most trouble of any Pokemon.

Power-up Punch doubling the attack is so good, and then being able to KO things like Gliscor with Return or Scizor with Sucker Punch is crazy.

I don't bother with the PuP set and opt instead for the revenge killer set -fake out, sucker punch, earthquake, double edge. It gets walled by stuff like ferro but screw it. It hits so hard on other things to begin with that I feel the moveslot for boosting with PuP is wasted and if you play smart to begin with, you wouldn't be dealing with a Ferro or a skarm by the time you're ready to toss out the mega-khan

The thing about Crush Claw is, you also have Power-Up Punch to boost your own Attack a guaranteed two stages, which is as good as Crush Claw's best-case scenario of lowering your enemy's Defense two stages except it also carries over to other enemies during a sweep. And Power-Up Punch actually offers coverage alongside Return, particularly for Rock- and Steel-types.

Ok, so I'm thinking of something like this :
Substitute
Body Slam
Sucker Punch/Crunch
Power-up Punch/Drain Punch

Set up substitute, then destroy incoming ghosts with Sucker Punch/Crunch, other pokés will take huge damage from Body Slam + 51% paralysis chance, and either Power-up Punch for stats up or Drain Punch for self recovery.
This could work ?

Currently I'm test running a set this set in Showdown:

Return
Shadow Claw
Power-up Punch
Fire Punch

Correct me if I'm wrong, but does STAB Return(102*1.5) actually does similar damage as normal weakness Fire Punch(75*2)? If yes would switching to Aqua Tail or Earthquake might be more handy? Although Fire-punching those Bug/Steels might still be important though...

Btw, does Parental Bond requires the move to be a contact move? EQ in Showdown doesn't seem to hit twice and I haven't really tried using one in the actual game yet due to various reasons

The thing about Crush Claw is, you also have Power-Up Punch to boost your own Attack a guaranteed two stages, which is as good as Crush Claw's best-case scenario of lowering your enemy's Defense two stages except it also carries over to other enemies during a sweep. And Power-Up Punch actually offers coverage alongside Return, particularly for Rock- and Steel-types.
But don't forget PP is weaker and doesnt get STAB. It comes down to preference and EVs. If Kangy is gonna last long, just use PP. Crush Claw if you just need to tear through walls and break them down while also doing respectable damage to any squishies.

But don't forget PP is weaker and doesnt get STAB. It comes down to preference and EVs. If Kangy is gonna last long, just use PP. Crush Claw if you just need to tear through walls and break them down while also doing respectable damage to any squishies.
Powerup Punch + Return:

PP: 40 + 20*1.5
Return: 102*2*1.5 + 102*2/2*1.5

Total "base power" after two turns: 580

Crush Claw + Return: Lets assume the first one lowers, but 2nd one doesn't. (One of the better cases for Crush Claw actually, considering both may fail)

CC: 75*1.5 + 75/2*1.5*1.5
Return: 102*1.5*1.5 + 102*1.5/2*1.5

Total Base Power worth of damage: 541

Pretty much... Powerup Punch is going to be better on the average. I don't think I need to do the calculations if Crush Claw fails to lower defenses in either of the two hits...

Last edited:
How about Crush Claw and PUP on the same set w/out Return
Why tho? Return is stronger than CC and PuP. You'd be surprised how many kills you can get with fake out followed by return. PuP does have uses, but I to am learning that it takes time to set up and usually wont get the ko. without any healing and ok speed, time is not you're friend. I think if you really want to boost her up u should consider baton passing speed boost and swords dance to her.

Recently I've been baton passing into Kangy with Scolipede with Crunch, Earthquake, Double-Edge, and Fake-Out. Everyone switches to Gengar expecting a fake-out or a PUP and they get a crunch to the face, OHKO'd. It feels excellent.
That's why you Fake Out THEN Mega Evolve Sucker Punch. It should KO before Gengar can do anything.

MaximumZero

Banned deucer.
Why tho? Return is stronger than CC and PuP. You'd be surprised how many kills you can get with fake out followed by return. PuP does have uses, but I to am learning that it takes time to set up and usually wont get the ko. without any healing and ok speed, time is not you're friend. I think if you really want to boost her up u should consider baton passing speed boost and swords dance to her.
I am using a BP Set with MKangaskhan and I don't have Return on my set . Still thinking tho for the raw power or the chance to drop their defense hmmm

Last edited:
I am using a BP Set with MKangaskhan and I don't have Return on my set . Still thinking tho for the raw power or the chance to drop their defense hmmm
Hmmm, a chance to drop defense and take 2-3 hits to kill them or just use Return and kill them in 1-2 hits? The only time it pays is if you're fighting a physical wall or plan on stalling, but with the damage she has you might as well just end fights asap or switch out so you can bring her back in later and get a free fake out. It's not like she has good resistances and can afford to take a lot of hits, espcially the common fighting attacks. Also lowering defenses just isn't usually used much besides trying to force switches

Mud Slap drops your opponent's accuracy twice.
Power Up Punch boosts your Attack twice.
Bite becomes a 51% flinch chance.
Bulldoze lowers opponents' speed twice.

There are a bunch of moves M-Kangaskhan can abuse with Parental Bond.
I think with how Kangas works you don't really want to stall a Pokemon (IE using Mud Slap) In my opinion EQ or even Bull Doze (if you so chose) are better considerations, because although Mega Kahn is more bulky, it still has to fear quite a few threats, and if they hit through the -2 acc... Well it might end up a slight problem.

CoolStoryBrobat

The hero Smogon needs, but not the one it deserves
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
This thing has become the bane of my existence overnight...I keep running into these things on Wi-Fi and it's just a frustrating poke to deal with given its bulk and that ability. I was battling this Japanese person, and got my Trevenant in on a predicted Fake Out...home free right? Nope, SURPRISE AERIAL ACE!

Is there a consistent pre-Pokebank mon who can check this thing effectively? I have to resort to chip damage and letting something take a big hit just to have something else revenge kill it. :\

Halcyon.

@Choice Specs
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
This thing has become the bane of my existence overnight...I keep running into these things on Wi-Fi and it's just a frustrating poke to deal with given its bulk and that ability. I was battling this Japanese person, and got my Trevenant in on a predicted Fake Out...home free right? Nope, SURPRISE AERIAL ACE!

Is there a consistent pre-Pokebank mon who can check this thing effectively? I have to resort to chip damage and letting something take a big hit just to have something else revenge kill it. :\
Skarmory can completely wall it. It would have to be at, around +5 or +6 to OHKO with Return. Rocky Helmet Skarmory does an even better job at walling it.

Physically defensive Gyarados with rocky helmet really hurts mega Kang and can tank the fake out + return combo while dealing a sizeable chunk of passive damage.

Skarmory can completely wall it. It would have to be at, around +5 or +6 to OHKO with Return. Rocky Helmet Skarmory does an even better job at walling it.
Except that half the mega kangas going around are carrying Fire Blast. The problem with countering MKangas is that it has so many different options, with all of them being threatening and viable, and you don't know what it's carrying until it's already done considerable damage

Halcyon.

@Choice Specs
Except that half the mega kangas going around are carrying Fire Blast.
I'm writing the OU preview for Kangaskhan and I can assure you that Kangaskhan has better things to be doing than using Fire Blast off of an uninvested base 60 Special Attack. Are you running this over Earthquake? Power-Up Punch? Because those moves are all necessary or Kangaskhan gets walled by other things (Aegislash is the first one that comes to mind.

I'd say easily 90% of the Kangas I've faced on wi-fi have been:

Jolly
max Atk, max Speed

Return
Fake Out
Earthquake/PuP
Sucker Punch

On this note, I've had a lot of success going the bulkier route with Adamant, 252 HP/attack.

I use Sticky Web support (lets it outspeed Alakazam) to mitigate the low speed, which is alleviated further by its strong priority. It's nice having the HP as a cushion when things go pear-shaped.

I play it like this

Kangashkan / Kangashkanite
252 ATK / 252 HP
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Sucker Punch
- Power-Up Punch
- Return/Earthquake

Actually I like Return more then Earthquake. Fake Out with Parental Bond makes me smiley :) Sucker Punch for massive damage and priority. Power-Up Punch is too good, I mean.

I play only OverUsed so the 100 Speed Base are good, but easy outpaced by many common thinks, so I investigate the EV to HP makes him more bulky, for the faster 'mon I have Sucker Punch.

Is Sucker Punch enough for Aegislash or I really need the Earthquske? It hurts deep in me, when I play a poke without STAB Move.

Halcyon.

@Choice Specs
Fake Out is, in my opinion, an inferior option. Kangaskhan should always run this set, I think:

Kangaskhan @ Kangaskhanite
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Return / Double Edge
- Power-Up Punch
- Sucker Punch
- Earthquake / Bulldoze

Earthquake or Bulldoze is an absolute must if you want to even have a chance of beating Aegislash ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)